• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Why would you use a king size mattress for "horse training"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hubby and I attended a bombproofing clinic a few years ago, and, yes, a big mattress was one of the obstacles. It took my mare a bit before she'd cross it, and even then, she'd get about 1/2-way across, then take a leap to get to the "safe" ground on the other side. Hubby's horse, however, would have no part of it at all. It was a fun obstacle.
    Equus Keepus Brokus

Comment

I dunno about using a mattress. My mattress is a spiffy one which molds to my body curves (really, not trying to give visuals, trying to make a point) and when Horse puts a hoof down, wouldn't the fabric and padding kind of mold to the hoof and be springy?? I get the show Horse everything but other than showing Horse it's not a horse eating monster, I think I'd find a way to ride around it. I wouldn't want the side of the mattress springing up even a few inches and maybe catching a tip of a hoof. Seems a bit overboard. I dunno.
      GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

Now, now OP, you live in the PNW-- section of the country that has done a great deal to make a sport of a walking obstacle course for horses.

One indoor horse center in Eugene, OR has made a business of it, as has that Mark Bolender guy.

Damn straight someone up here wants a horse mattress... for free... and within local driving distance. SOP for the PNW CL.
        The armchair saddler
        Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

[QUOTE=Calvincrowe;6897550

So, for desensitizing training what is the goal? Extreme trail or follow me through fire?[/QUOTE]

Check out the March issue of Dressage Today for uses of training that focus the horse on the rider.
          "Friend" me !

http://www.facebook.com/isabeau.solace

Comment

I've been to several mounted police, and other similar clinics. This has been one of the obstacles used. Obstacles also included several types of "bridges" including one that rotated, tarps, things hanging down, push type gates, a smoke machine, big balloons (with a generator going), a great big ball that they pushed and probably a few more that I can't think of right now. It was fascinating for me to see my two mares, full-sisters who had been raised together, react differently to different obstacles. Neither of them had much of a problem with the mattresses however. It's not the mattress but here we are at one of the clinics: http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/al...36146936540326

And with my other horse: http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/al...25510169571872

Oh wait, I found a mattress photo. We rode over it as well:
            http://s1194.photobucket.com/user/al...tml?sort=3&o=1
            Last edited by Holly Jeanne; Mar. 22, 2013, 01:27 PM. Reason: grammar
            Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Comment

There is (was) a trail obstacles course set up at a Cowboy Campground I was at, and one of the obstacles was a tarp covered mattress. Weird, but Remy didn't hesitate to walk over it. Felt really strange tho!

Comment

As others mentioned, the poster probably wants it for desentization or training for mountain/extreme trail. I have seen mattresses used just laying on the ground, covered with canvas, and even in a shallow pit covered with dirt to simulate boggy ground.

Comment

Originally posted by Calvincrowe View Post
                  I had a bunch of ideas running through my head, believe me! So, walking horses across mattresses teaches them about?? I'm not being snarky, just really curious about alternate methods that folks employ. Not sure when a horse would encounter a mattress in a normal situation.

volvo--LoL, that is funny! Duh is right. Maybe they have a committed pair of small ponies who want to "bed down" together?
                  It is used precisely because it is NOT something the horse would encounter in a normal situation.

The object of the exercise is to put the horse in a situation where he goes, 'Huh..." and then train him to "say yes" to you about it, even though it's scary. So that later, when you are in some other situation that makes him go "huh...", you have a "yes, even though it's scary" response installed already.

It is easier to train the "say yes" response in a controlled environment where you have control over the adversive stimulus. Harder when you suddenly find yourself in a park with a 5k running by or a plastic bag waving.

You can't make the wind stop blowing a plastic bag around to "release" the pressure on the horse at just the right time, but you can ease up on the rope when he even leans toward a mattress.

I just did a demo ride at an Equifest and a looooooooot of the horses there could have used some prior practice in still "saying yes" and remaining calm in spite of external pressure. Really crystallized for me the realization that a lot of horses are trained, but not actually broke. Sure they'll listen to the rider ....IF and only if the external environment agrees with them. That's wonderful that he does flying changes and extended trot but can you actually halt and stand calmly on a loose rein, I wonder.
                  The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                  Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                  Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                  The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Originally posted by DancingArabian View Post
                    So is watching their reaction to silly string.
                    Starts with an 'S,' ends with a 'T.' You figure it out.

"Houston, Tranquility Base here, picking up where we left off ..."

Comment

Yup, Follow me through Fire and; It's Ok Because I Say it's Ok.
                      When our old mattress was dead, I hauled it outside and used it for training. My spook-at-everything mare has not only learned to walk over it, but she's also had pool noodles waved all around her, learned to wear them in every configuration, used them as caveletti, had big beach balls rolled all around her (we're working on bouncing them off her now) and I've even gone so far as to blow up balloons and release them.

No, I don't expect her to encounter too much of this IRL, but shes gone from LeapWhirlRun at the littlest thing, to just hanging out, head down and half asleep, resigned to all the crazy things that humans do.

This makes me much happier

Comment

Originally posted by DancingArabian View Post
                        As bizarre as this will sound, I've actually come across a mattress in the woods during a trail ride. .
                        I was going to mention the same. I have seen bedsprings, sinks & other random crap in the woods. Who drives 2 miles into the forest to dump washing machine parts? Someone who would be charged to dump them elsewhere, I guess.

The one thing I can't get my mare to go anywhere near, ever? an old barrel off to the side of a corn field. she is terrified of it. WTH did it come from?

Comment

Matrasses are often used for the mounted patrol training as has been mentioned before.

Hmmm, idea: put one at the muddy gate. That ought to help a lot. (runs off to CL)
                          \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Comment

Most likely taken from Rick Pelicano's book; he's used in in clinic for over 10 yrs.

Bombproof Your Horse: Teach Your Horse to Be Confident, Obedient, and Safe, No Matter What You
                            The object wasn't about the mattress as a mattress per se, it was about unsure and unexpected (spongy) footing. Just like getting a horse to walk over a black tarp.

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/ar.../t-250089.html

Comment

Originally posted by WhiteCamry View Post
                              I went to a bombproofing clinic and at the end, he gave out little cans of silly string. It was meant to simulate using wasp spray or pepper spray I think. No one knew if horses reacted to the spray and of course no one was going to experiment, so to simulate the sound, he got us silly string. ALL of the horses scuttled away from the sound of the silly string spraying. It was HILARIOUS. My horse was HORRIFIED at the silly string and when I dismounted and picked it up so he could sniff it, he wouldn't even let me touch him with it.

A grand laugh was had at the expense of my horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Hippolyta View Post
                                I was going to mention the same. I have seen bedsprings, sinks & other random crap in the woods. Who drives 2 miles into the forest to dump washing machine parts? Someone who would be charged to dump them elsewhere, I guess.

The one thing I can't get my mare to go anywhere near, ever? an old barrel off to the side of a corn field. she is terrified of it. WTH did it come from?
                                Gotta watch those barrels. They're tricksy.

Comment

I have seen it worn by horses in portuguese bull fighting (they dont kill the bull). The horses were blindfolded as well. I was very young so barely remember. But they were not king size and were floppy (enough to drape over the horse), but definitely human ex-mattresses.

Comment

Some things I would not want my horse desensitized to...

The Arkansas River runs through the family ranch. In years past, it had areas of quicksand. Over the years, tamaracks have established along the river and I haven't seen quicksand a while, though I suppose it's possible.

Anyway, our ranch horses would NOT go into quicksand. This is just good "horse sense", and I would not want a horse so desensitized to environmental hazards that his training overrides self-preservation. Anyway, about the quicksand, we'd just find other places to cross the river.

Comment

I think a memory foam mattress would feel like flesh.

I like it that horses don't like the jellyfish feeling of stepping on us.

IME, a mattress is good for desensitizing horses. So once the thrill has worn off, you have to put it back on CL. Everyone is going to want it then.

meupatdoes' distinction between trained and broke is a good one. IME, the value of "broke" is not to be underestimated. You get it by piling up those situations in which the horse initially said No and then was convinced to say Yes (and that he didn't get to have an opinion).
                                      The armchair saddler
                                      Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

It's just another tool in a toolbox. You don't have to use it and no, you should never aspire to create robots, Three Figs. Unless you follow Clinton Anderson

Comment

I have a boarding barn, and one day I came home to a queen sized mattress in the arena. I rode up on my horse and asked what it was for? (Didn't care that it was there, just curious for what purpose) and they said to walk their horses on it. I sat there and watched for a while as they tried to ride, then lead their horses over the mattress. No go. I legged Lexie forward and she walked right on it and across it, turned her around and walked on it again and stopped her in the middle. They were like "I hate you---LOL!"

It was pretty funny. I sure loved that mare! She would go through fire for you.
                                          I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Comment

Working...
                                          X