• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

real life Thelwell pony and his awesome kid.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• real life Thelwell pony and his awesome kid.

love this video. I laughed so hard, tears were coming out of my eyes. What a great kid for dealing with this. I loved the whole thing..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUaP0t5IUnM

There was nothing to love in this video

All the "adults" (and I use that term loosely) did was teach a pony that he could get a kid off every time and teach a kid to fall off.

That pony had about 10 more chances than it ever would have gotten if it pulled that crap in my barn.

By the time I was done riding it, the only time those feet were coming off the ground would be over a jump.

The only reason none of those kids were hurt was God was watching.

That pony would be pulling stumps on my farm.

And teaching a kid to hold a pony's face while aiming it at the arena fence and hitting it? What exactly was the pony supposed to do?

Stupid, stupid people.

At some point, the kid should have marched over, kicked his mother/trainer in the shin and left the arena.

Comment

I didn't find it amusing...particularly where the pony drops and tries to rub the child off. That's one lucky kid.

Comment

Ed was posted here many moons ago. Most didn't find it cute then either.

I know I don't.
        "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

I laughed only because I used to ride a pony like this when I was little. He used to pull everything over on me. Even laid down and rolled with me, in an 8ft ditch full of water, in winter, on my birthday! That little stinker dumped me three times that day!
          Gracious "Gracie," 2002 TB mare
          Facebook me!

I have Higher Standards ...do you?

Comment

Here's a video of Ed being a good boy with the same kid: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSB6YFO5Lbc

ETA: He looks like a sweet pony just taking care of his little rider in this video.
            Southern Cross Guest Ranch
            An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

Comment

• Original Poster

i guess i should have known better to post to this group. Too critical.

I saw the kid was a bit hard on the pony's mouth, and the pony was teaching the kid not to. The kid never cried, only smiled and got back up. that is a great attitude for a little kid and i was happy to see it. the typical pony behavior was laughable to me.

Comment

Ed has been around - bear in mind that according to the grandmother who posted the video, it was shot over the course of 18 months and that most of the time, the pony was very good. IIRC the whole reason it was made was to show the trainer that Ed could be really naughty...apparently he was good when trainer person was around? The info is somewhere in all the posts below the videos. A lot of us learned on ponies/horses like Ed. I used to ride schoolies - horses - who had some similar tricks...one would lay down about 25 minutes into a lesson.

Nezzy, I too, laughed at the typical pony behavior. And there are other videos of Ross going back to see his Ed later on, fwiw.

Comment

I loved the whole thing too! This pony is priceless and did you notice for the most part he waited by his rider after dumping him?? This kid will be a great rider someday if he keeps riding this pony. I don't think Ed cares for jumping.

ETA: I learned to ride on ponies just like Ed , where the majority of the time they were good as gold. On the occasion they behaved like Ed we either stayed on and got them to do what we wanted or we parted company and then kept trying. It made us learn how to ride . This is what having a horse is all about when I was a kid.

Comment

What a little stinker - and they put him in a show! Loved that kid he sure was gutsy and stuck with the rotten little thing. A future Richard Spooner or someone. I came up through the ranks on similar ones - so, yes, I did smile, but I would not have allowed it with my own kids. But what did my parents know .. they were hopeless.
                    Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

I have watched the Ed videos many times, and FWIW, I think they are hilarious.
                      I heard a neigh. Oh, such a brisk and melodious neigh as that was! My very heart leaped with delight at the sound. --Nathaniel Hawthorne

Comment

Actually, as I recall, our daughter had one a bit like him when she was about seven or eight and the pony did whatever she wanted whenever she wanted - put her head down to graze and the kid popped over her neck, turned and ran while loading and had a few tricks up her feathered legs, until our daughter mastered her and she was the most wonderful pony e.v.e.r. I'm smiling thinking of those days...but - she wasn't as bad as Ed.
                        Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

TOO MUCH !

Too much ! Kid is 'tough' but is going to get hurt !

Whoever is in charge should be ashamed !
                          Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

Originally posted by Zu Zu View Post
                            Too much ! Kid is 'tough' but is going to get hurt !

Whoever is in charge should be ashamed !
                            there is actually a follow up video. the kid survived naughty pony and came back to visit Ed.

Comment

Kid grew up and is doing well and is an excellent little rider...

Comment

I found it interesting that the family choose to include clips of their child being dragged and thrown into fences. Those type of incidents are how children are seriously injured or killed. I don't find anything funny about a kid stuck in the stirrups and getting dragged.

I always find it interesting that people defend these type of ponies or say that "well the kid turned out fine so no harm." For every video like this that goes viral, how many more overhorsed kids get hurt or scared out of horses after getting thrown one too many times?

Comment

I remember having no fear as a child (and an abnoxious pony that took time to master). It's a miracle that many of us lived through childhood.

Comment

That's how we learned to ride. You first had to catch the pony, tack up and learn to stay on.

Here's a whole herd of well behaved Thelwell's for the more sensitive viewers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z1Kq...ature=youtu.be
                                    Groom to trainer: "Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!"

Comment

My first pony was a 11hand Shetland cross named Meadow Mouse. The W/T trainer nick named him Metal Mouth ...yep he bit, and was hard to catch , bucked when you asked him to canter , laid down when he got to hot , upon opening his stall often he'd shove his butt into you, jumped out of the ring half a dozen times , dumped me a few miles from home on my first bare back trail ride with the big kids of course he ran home, ran away with me at a horse show (he was trotting) went next door to a nursery and knocked down several rows of seedlings squeezing between them in his trotting quest for freedom. I LOVED HIM ...when I got good enough that he was 90% good 10 % cheeky I missed the naughty. When I out grew him I cried for weeks.

My daughters w/t pony is a saint by his standards and I appreciate her..but I often wonder if she will have disadvantages learning to ride on a pony who is always nose to the grindstone and never questions authority.
                                      "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Comment

Originally posted by CFFarm View Post
                                        That's how we learned to ride. You first had to catch the pony, tack up and learn to stay on.

Here's a whole herd of well behaved Thelwell's for the more sensitive viewers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1z1Kq...ature=youtu.be
                                        Now that made my morning! Can't help but smile while watching all those happy faces.
                                        "My biggest fear is that when I die my husband is going to try to sell all my horses and tack for what I told him they cost."

Comment

Working...
                                        X