• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Disgusting - Video of a horse shot in the head by a slaughter proponent in New Mexico

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by up-at-5 View Post
    Bwahahahaha, thanks for that!!! I guess that rules out a few frequent posters then.
    Right, I could name a few, that only come here to post about animal rights extremist agendas, don't have much else to contribute and guess what, that is ok too, unlike in their sites, where anyone disagreeing is deleted and banned, because there is NO debating them.

    Here, if it fits the horse world, be my guest, I think you can have any opinion and express it, although you will also have to "endure" that others may disagree.

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Bluey View Post
      Why would anyone do the best job that insures it is the best?
      If nothing else, because if they missed ONE carcass with residues and one little bit of that one was in the one sample they decided to test for once delivered, guess who is paying for that discarded load of produce?
      You don't make that mistake twice, you set protocols to insure the best way you can and it seems that in-house testing of every one carcass was part of those protocols.

      Now, you choose not to believe it, coming from where you come from, distrusting all and any that doesn't fit with the slaughter process being any other than evil and that is fine.

      There are others reading here that may think that makes sense, don't have to be explained the same time and again.

      I don't mind, I will keep explaining what I know, learning about what I don't and making my own mind about all and any, as I expect most here do.
      That is what debates are for, I think, unless someone has other agendas to promote, like the animal rights extremists do.
      Bluey, I don't believe there is any plant in this country that tests every single animal. They might test one out of an x number and separate by lots, so if there's a problem, that lot can be recalled. I think you're just full of it.

      Heck, we don't even test every cow for BSE. And in this case, we're talking about the Kaufman plant that polluted their own environment, racked up thousands in fines and never paid it. You're trying to tell me they tested every horse, out of the goodness of their hearts, even though they weren't required to do so? The BS meter just went sky high.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
        I can think of a few right here on this thread.
        That little tidbit made me laugh out loud here at work!!!
        I'm keeping it, to bring up as needed in the future!
        PRICELESS!
        "Anti-intellect and marketing, pretty, pretty, who needs talent
        Crying eyes, we're so outnumbered, fight for the right to remain silent" Buck 65

        Comment


        • Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
          Bluey, I don't believe there is any plant in this country that tests every single animal. They might test one out of an x number and separate by lots, so if there's a problem, that lot can be recalled. I think you're just full of it.

          Heck, we don't even test every cow for BSE. And in this case, we're talking about the Kaufman plant that polluted their own environment, racked up thousands in fines and never paid it. You're trying to tell me they tested every horse, out of the goodness of their hearts, even though they weren't required to do so? The BS meter just went sky high.
          So, you don't believe me?
          That is fine, you don't have to.

          I see you still don't understand what a protocol is and why they determine thru those how to test, what to test and how many of each to test.
          No, I don't expect any protocol demands all cows be tested for BSE, if that is not what is necessary.
          You are assuming then all possible should be tested for, every time you go to the doctor, throw all tests on you, just to be sure they catch any one, rare as it may be?
          Nonsense, that is why we have protocols and each one is just that, what is best for any one that needs tended to, regulated or inspected.

          Heck they even have protocols for inspecting light bulbs before they put them in their boxes.

          Comment


          • First you said
            Originally posted by Bluey View Post
            I know that when the Dallas plants were operating, EVERY horse was tested as per protocol, certain parts of each horse.
            That was in-house regulations, complying with those their european market demanded and they were very particular about that.
            Then you said

            Originally posted by Bluey View Post
            So, you don't believe me?
            That is fine, you don't have to.

            I see you still don't understand what a protocol is and why they determine thru those how to test, what to test and how many of each to test.
            No, I don't expect any protocol demands all cows be tested for BSE, if that is not what is necessary.
            You are assuming then all possible should be tested for, every time you go to the doctor, throw all tests on you, just to be sure they catch any one, rare as it may be?
            Nonsense, that is why we have protocols and each one is just that, what is best for any one that needs tended to, regulated or inspected.

            Heck they even have protocols for inspecting light bulbs before they put them in their boxes.
            So which one is right? Every horse was tested or some horses were tested? And tested for what? Bute? Bacterial contamination? Other drugs? No drugs? Are you saying that the EU requirements were more stringent when the Dallas Crown plant was still open than they are now?

            According to Fairfax

            Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
            They do random case lot checking from a variety of runs. Each run has a code and that code, for tracking, is put on the shipping box. IF the test (results are actually quite quick) come back with substances the shipment..even if it has already gone, can be re-route for another usage....petfood..(they don't ban horsemeat in Europe for that), it can be shipped to Russia and Asia etc.

            We are waiting rfor a test that is supposed to be released this year that tests the live horse.

            That will make all of the differenc ein the world.

            There is a major EU and Asia market. Going after a U.S. market and spending the amount of noney to develope it AND make it acceptable would be too expensive. That is why the Canadian plants rarely if ever ship to Britain, Scotland, Wales or N and S Ireland

            So Bluey, I understand that you're trying to make me out as the village idiot who doesn't understand testing protocols and requirements and that might make someone else just go away and give up...but that doesn't work for me. I still say you're full of it.

            Comment


            • Originally posted by Dispatcher View Post
              well, she has said in the past that she knew people who worked in a horse slaughter plant 30 years ago in the US, or maybe it was 50 years ago in Europe--can't remember which. And those people she knew told her they tested EVERY horse. I don't recall her ever saying what the horses were tested for.... But, sure enough, according to her source, every. single. horse was tested and inspected.
              And that makes it fact how?

              Comment


              • Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                First you said


                Then you said



                So which one is right? Every horse was tested or some horses were tested? And tested for what? Bute? Bacterial contamination? Other drugs? No drugs? Are you saying that the EU requirements were more stringent when the Dallas Crown plant was still open than they are now?

                According to Fairfax




                So Bluey, I understand that you're trying to make me out as the village idiot who doesn't understand testing protocols and requirements and that might make someone else just go away and give up...but that doesn't work for me. I still say you're full of it.
                Maybe I didn't explain that good enough, but the testing does happen in more places than one.

                What I know, at the plant, every horse was tested as per their protocol and no, I won't tell you more, already explained why.
                Then, in Europe, batches were again tested, but then, of course, not "every horse", as the boxes contained fabricated "cuts", not a whole single horse.

                Now, I hope that is a bit more clear?
                Or maybe I am assuming wrong that you know how basic commercial processes work, or am I just not understanding your questions?

                Also, I have specified I knew of that only from the Dallas plant, not any other, have said that before.
                It would be an assumption that others may have had similar protocols, but that I don't know, already said that in other discussion about this.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                  Maybe I didn't explain that good enough, but the testing does happen in more places than one.

                  What I know, at the plant, every horse was tested as per their protocol and no, I won't tell you more, already explained why.
                  Then, in Europe, batches were again tested, but then, of course, not "every horse", as the boxes contained fabricated "cuts", not a whole single horse.

                  Now, I hope that is a bit more clear?
                  Or maybe I am assuming wrong that you know how basic commercial processes work, or am I just not understanding your questions?
                  I am disputing that every horse was tested. I find that about as improbable as imagining I can go outside and walk across water (unfrozen water).

                  If you're exaggerating that "fact" then what else are you exaggerating?

                  And yes Bluey, I do understand how "commercial processes" work and further, I understand how QA works. And an assembly line. And project and plant oversight and managment. Yup, yes, ma'am/sir I do. So why don't you stick to what you actually know as fact and leave out the gross exaggeration?

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                    Maybe I didn't explain that good enough, but the testing does happen in more places than one.

                    What I know, at the plant, every horse was tested as per their protocol and no, I won't tell you more, already explained why.
                    Then, in Europe, batches were again tested, but then, of course, not "every horse", as the boxes contained fabricated "cuts", not a whole single horse.

                    Now, I hope that is a bit more clear?
                    Or maybe I am assuming wrong that you know how basic commercial processes work, or am I just not understanding your questions?

                    Also, I have specified I knew of that only from the Dallas plant, not any other, have said that before.
                    It would be an assumption that others may have had similar protocols, but that I don't know, already said that in other discussion about this.
                    Well I see you have still not answered my question.
                    What are YOIUR qualifications? how do you know all these"Facts" and why should we take your word for it.
                    You are very quick to point the finger at posters who you say are ARA's but when someone asks you how you KNOW certain things were done, you either refuse to answer or Act offended or attacked.
                    You cannot have it both ways.
                    How do you "KNOW" what occured at the DC plant? Did you work there?
                    And this nonsense about CAn't tell you, Secret, is well it is BS.
                    If you really knew something that was not to be public knowledge you would not be saying "I can't tell you" on a Horse bulletin board.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by Sannois View Post
                      Well I see you have still not answered my question.
                      What are YOIUR qualifications? how do you know all these"Facts" and why should we take your word for it.
                      You are very quick to point the finger at posters who you say are ARA's but when someone asks you how you KNOW certain things were done, you either refuse to answer or Act offended or attacked.
                      You cannot have it both ways.
                      How do you "KNOW" what occured at the DC plant? Did you work there?
                      And this nonsense about CAn't tell you, Secret, is well it is BS.
                      If you really knew something that was not to be public knowledge you would not be saying "I can't tell you" on a Horse bulletin board.
                      Let me try to explain this once more.
                      I have, I think, said what I know and why.
                      You don't have to believe it, store it as one more fact you disbelieve is fine.

                      I won't tell what they tested or what for because of obvious reasons to anyone with any sense, in these discussions where certain parties keep bringing just that up and trying to make a federal case of it.
                      Testing for residues of all kinds, as testing improved, has been done for decades, "they" just happen to think lately it is one more good way to attack, like they have been using the abuse card for long now.
                      I am not going to provide them with more to pick apart, would you?
                      They don't want to know, they want more to bash, will never be satisfied until we don't use animals any more, ban this now, that later.

                      So, you are not happy with that?
                      Sorry, that is all I can help you with.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                        Let me try to explain this once more.
                        I have, I think, said what I know and why.
                        You don't have to believe it, store it as one more fact you disbelieve is fine.

                        I won't tell what they tested or what for because of obvious reasons to anyone with any sense, in these discussions where certain parties keep bringing just that up and trying to make a federal case of it.
                        Testing for residues of all kinds, as testing improved, has been done for decades, "they" just happen to think lately it is one more good way to attack, like they have been using the abuse card for long now.
                        I am not going to provide them with more to pick apart, would you?
                        They don't want to know, they want more to bash, will never be satisfied until we don't use animals any more, ban this now, that later.

                        So, you are not happy with that?
                        Sorry, that is all I can help you with.
                        Actually, You did it again, pointed fingers at the supposed ARA's Change the subject.
                        I asked you a VERY straight forward question, HOW Do you KNOW what was done at these plants?
                        You complain that people do not listen to what you say, But how can one believe your comments that you KNOW something was or was not done, when you refuse to tell people how you know.

                        I know that when the Dallas plants were operating, EVERY horse was tested as per protocol, certain parts of each horse.
                        That was in-house regulations, complying with those their european market demanded and they were very particular about that.
                        I know it from the ones doing the testing and that it was very important, as there would be testing again once a load arrived in Europe and if any residue was found, the whole load would be rejected.


                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Sannois View Post
                          Actually, You did it again, pointed fingers at the supposed ARA's Change the subject.
                          I asked you a VERY straight forward question, HOW Do you KNOW what was done at these plants?
                          Honestly, how many times do I have to answer straight forward until you understand it?

                          I have said, I know from years of working with people in the horse industry, some of those that sold directly and worked in slaughter plants, inspectors and workers, that is how I know some of what they did.

                          I guarantee you that is more than what some here seem to chose to believe, presented by some that all they know is what they get directly from animal rights extremist propaganda.

                          I would think those and what they present and how they present are the ones anyone here should be questioning.

                          Comment


                          • There's that old animal rights extremist propaganda card again. Well, it's not working.

                            Here's the testing protocal by the feds...FSIS. It would be prohibitively expensive to test every horse. Considering we're talking about a plant that couldn't even meet the environmental regulations that were required it just boggles my mind that you would think that anyone could accept as fact that each and every horse was tested for "residue" without being required to do so. Either you've got your "facts" wrong or you're making it up as you go along.

                            http://www.fsis.usda.gov/PDF/2010_Red_Book.pdf

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                              Honestly, how many times do I have to answer straight forward until you understand it?

                              I have said, I know from years of working with people in the horse industry, some of those that sold directly and worked in slaughter plants, inspectors and workers, that is how I know some of what they did.

                              I guarantee you that is more than what some here seem to chose to believe, presented by some that all they know is what they get directly from animal rights extremist propaganda.

                              I would think those and what they present and how they present are the ones anyone here should be questioning.
                              Well that makes you not an expert at all.
                              So we are supposed to take your word that someone you knew who worked for a vet who knew a kill buyer who dated a slaughter house employee, told you. You can see why this seems so non credible.
                              We are not talking about the Extremists, We are talking about your posts.
                              I can only think I am wasting my time, A vague answer like All the people I have worked with in the horse industry does not make your statements fact.
                              Well I just hoped that the Pro slaughter side had a little more credible teeth.
                              Sorry.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                                There's that old animal rights extremist propaganda card again. Well, it's not working.

                                Here's the testing protocal by the feds...FSIS. It would be prohibitively expensive to test every horse. Considering we're talking about a plant that couldn't even meet the environmental regulations that were required it just boggles my mind that you would think that anyone could accept as fact that each and every horse was tested for "residue" without being required to do so. Either you've got your "facts" wrong or you're making it up as you go along.

                                http://www.fsis.usda.gov/PDF/2010_Red_Book.pdf
                                You may not have read it, but I already explained that regulations are a minimum standard and yes, even plants that are running old machinery on a shoe string, as that one did, may still be putting their money somewhere else.
                                Some here seem to be bound and determined to believe that all was wrong, could not be any but, being, the horror, slaughter, that can't be any other than, well, horrible.

                                As I stated, you don't have to believe anything, free country here, pick and choose at will.

                                Comment


                                • Originally posted by Sannois View Post
                                  Well that makes you not an expert at all.
                                  So we are supposed to take your word that someone you knew who worked for a vet who knew a kill buyer who dated a slaughter house employee, told you. You can see why this seems so non credible.
                                  We are not talking about the Extremists, We are talking about your posts.
                                  I can only think I am wasting my time, A vague answer like All the people I have worked with in the horse industry does not make your statements fact.
                                  Well I just hoped that the Pro slaughter side had a little more credible teeth.
                                  Sorry.
                                  Well, at least you quit demanding, that is good.

                                  I will still state, what I know should weigh more than animal rights extremist myths, out of context stories and propaganda ought to, any day, for those that understand their rights to have animals are in the end hanging in the balance.

                                  I have said it before, slaughter or not, to BAN slaughter is the problem here, that furthers animal rights extremists to their ultimate goal of "no more domestic animals and none too soon for me".

                                  Comment


                                  • Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                    You may not have read it, but I already explained that regulations are a minimum standard and yes, even plants that are running old machinery on a shoe string, as that one did, may still be putting their money somewhere else.
                                    Some here seem to be bound and determined to believe that all was wrong, could not be any but, being, the horror, slaughter, that can't be any other than, well, horrible.

                                    As I stated, you don't have to believe anything, free country here, pick and choose at will.
                                    Hold the phone.. REad what you said about that plant..
                                    I bolded it in the above reply a few back. This post to lauraky you say they were running on a shoe string and in the other you say they tested every animal.
                                    Come on Bluey, you would think you would want people to believe you for the better of the cause!

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by Sannois View Post
                                      Hold the phone.. REad what you said about that plant..
                                      I bolded it in the above reply a few back. This post to lauraky you say they were running on a shoe string and in the other you say they tested every animal.
                                      Come on Bluey, you would think you would want people to believe you for the better of the cause!
                                      You see, all you want is something to pick, pick, pick.
                                      Come on, be serious, you can do better than that.
                                      Try using your nogging and think if what you just said makes sense.

                                      I expect now some will again get on Fairfax, since he said he was in the plants and part of their protocol advisors and of course, that is definitively not good enough, considering ...

                                      On second thought, I may ought to elaborate to help with comprehension:
                                      I said certain machinery needed replacing, but since they were about to close the plant, they were running that machinery on a shoestring, not that the plant itself was.

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                        You see, all you want is something to pick, pick, pick.
                                        Come on, be serious, you can do better than that.
                                        Try using your nogging and think if what you just said makes sense.

                                        I expect now some will again get on Fairfax, since he said he was in the plants and part of their protocol advisors and of course, that is definitively not good enough, considering ...

                                        On second thought, I may ought to elaborate to help with comprehension:
                                        I said certain machinery needed replacing, but since they were about to close the plant, they were running that machinery on a shoestring, not that the plant itself was.
                                        Pick Pick Pick??
                                        I ask you a straight forward question, and you are sure convincing me you have no credible experience, or facts.
                                        I think I know who we are dealing with now.
                                        I do not know that fairfax is any different. Words on a computer screen.
                                        Bluey, most of your posts are contradictions, or finger pointing at the other posters who question you. I think that speaks volumes.

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by Sannois View Post
                                          Pick Pick Pick??
                                          I ask you a straight forward question, and you are sure convincing me you have no credible experience, or facts.
                                          I think I know who we are dealing with now.
                                          I do not know that fairfax is any different. Words on a computer screen.
                                          Bluey, most of your posts are contradictions, or finger pointing at the other posters who question you. I think that speaks volumes.
                                          Thank you for your opinion.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X