• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Disgusting - Video of a horse shot in the head by a slaughter proponent in New Mexico

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
    I just want to say thank you for a such a calm, reasoned response.

I understand what you are saying, and would like to ask if there were things such as agreed upon observors (i.e. someone you trust to oversee) and you could document the various entities taking transport violations seriously, and extended testing of the product to ensure no drugs, would you at that point be "okay" with a US SH?
    In the past I've said I would be ok with it.
    This has been a long journey for me, starting probably 8 years ago or so, learning about slaughter and honing my understanding along with my beliefs.

I would not eat horse myself and originally it was that disgust, combined with the inhumane treatment at plants that made me anti.

I've evolved since then to understanding that dictating what others eat is not my place. I get it. I eat beef and chicken and pork, and I'm not thrilled with how those animals are managed either and I do, outside of this horse forum obviously, advocate for better there too.

However, if the product is coming from the US I *do* believe we should make sure it's clean and humane. That's just how I feel about US products in general, we should lead w/high standards because they are possible to attain instead of lowering ours because others do so or don't care what's in it and because it's 'easier' or cheaper to accomplish.

Re; humane treatment and enforcement of violations in the plant and outside if they promised they would be better, the question becomes 'how many'... how many bolt misses are ok? How many horses killed or grievously injured in transit are ok? How much negative impact should a plant [or any business] have on the community it enters, and how amenable should they be to the wishes of the community around them?

I don't have any answers for these and the rest of those types of questions... So if I was elected Queen of the World, I don't really know what I would say re: the limits. That is in part because I do not believe they would do better or want to do better.

You know right before this horse labeled as beef thing I had a taco from Taco Bell, it was DELICIOUS!... then I had a burger from Wendy's that tasted just... not right... I HATE that this has ruined eating even fast food, for me. The drive thru will not see me anytime soon because seriously whether it's horse or cheap beef... they're probably equally bad for you and inhumane.
    Cheap anything, seriously, is not something I am embracing right now. Good, healthy, quality, humane food costs.

Very early on, probably 11 years ago now, I heard an interview with Temple Grandin on NPR about chickens and the whole McDonalds thing re: their treatment, as well as her work with cattle. I thinks she's a very objective and clear thinking on it.
    I grew up on a farm, my brother is still in Dairy. There are people out there doing things right.... it's when the corp. mentality jumps in that things go haywire, IMO.
    Last edited by Angela Freda; Mar. 26, 2013, 01:38 PM.
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

• Originally posted by betonbill View Post
      So I am taking this to mean that they can slaughter any horse with any sort of stuff in it without checking and then turn around and sell it to any gullible consuming country without any sort of penalty or guarantee?

Sure gives them a lot of incentive to produce a quality product, doesn't it?

How does this change if they decide to develop a local market within the U.S.?
      that is not correct

They do random case lot checking from a variety of runs. Each run has a code and that code, for tracking, is put on the shipping box. IF the test (results are actually quite quick) come back with substances the shipment..even if it has already gone, can be re-route for another usage....petfood..(they don't ban horsemeat in Europe for that), it can be shipped to Russia and Asia etc.

We are waiting rfor a test that is supposed to be released this year that tests the live horse.

That will make all of the differenc ein the world.

There is a major EU and Asia market. Going after a U.S. market and spending the amount of noney to develope it AND make it acceptable would be too expensive. That is why the Canadian plants rarely if ever ship to Britain, Scotland, Wales or N and S Ireland
      The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
        that is not correct

They do random case lot checking from a variety of runs. Each run has a code and that code, for tracking, is put on the shipping box. IF the test (results are actually quite quick) come back with substances the shipment..even if it has already gone, can be re-route for another usage....petfood..(they don't ban horsemeat in Europe for that), it can be shipped to Russia and Asia etc.

We are waiting rfor a test that is supposed to be released this year that tests the live horse.

That will make all of the differenc ein the world.

There is a major EU and Asia market. Going after a U.S. market and spending the amount of noney to develope it AND make it acceptable would be too expensive. That is why the Canadian plants rarely if ever ship to Britain, Scotland, Wales or N and S Ireland
        I know that when the Dallas plants were operating, EVERY horse was tested as per protocol, certain parts of each horse.
        That was in-house regulations, complying with those their european market demanded and they were very particular about that.
        I know it from the ones doing the testing and that it was very important, as there would be testing again once a load arrived in Europe and if any residue was found, the whole load would be rejected.

That was way before animal rights extremist agendas caught onto making residues in meat their new battle cry in the past year or so.
        Guess their propaganda machine has been busy and decided that was one more way to attack all we do with animals, here slaughter horses.

Now, as we know, that was many years ago now, I don't know what they have been doing, as far as testing protocols, since the plants in the USA closed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluey View Post
          I know that when the Dallas plants were operating, EVERY horse was tested as per protocol, certain parts of each horse.
          That was in-house regulations, complying with those their european market demanded and they were very particular about that.
          I know it from the ones doing the testing and that it was very important, as there would be testing again once a load arrived in Europe and if any residue was found, the whole load would be rejected.

That was way before animal rights extremist agendas caught onto making residues in meat their new battle cry in the past year or so.
          Guess their propaganda machine has been busy and decided that was one more way to attack all we do with animals, here slaughter horses.

Now, as we know, that was many years ago now, I don't know what they have been doing, as far as testing protocols, since the plants in the USA closed.
          Bluey are you some AG employee that we are not aware of. You have always stated that you KNOW something because of the ones doing the testing, etc.
          You have frequently made statements that you have an inside. or are privy to certain information.

Comment

What were they testing for Bluey?

Comment

• Originally posted by Sannois View Post
              Oh Brother, did you Read the print.. Extreme cruelty to shoot a horse??
              Or some such nonsense. OH man it is a sinking ship the ARA's will just love this. Yeah he can be fired, but the media people need to get there shit together, Oh yeah like that is ever going to happen.
              The man did not get fired becuase he was cruel to a horse, he got fired for making an ass out of himself and making valley meats look bad.
              And let me just say this for the Trillionth time. Shooting a horse clean in the head is NOT animal cruelty. He did not beat that horse and the horse did not suffer. Up until that point, the horse was happily eating grass.
              NOT the issue! What he did do was make him self ARA fodder, and lose his job for his assholery of taping it. not to mention AGAIN, that this was done a year ago, and his daughter just put it up on the internet. Are we clear?
              It has ZERO to do with Horse slaughter houses. He may have been an employee of valley meats, but until his smarty daughter posted the dame thing no one was the wiser, AND he processed it himself and eats horse.
              His right! OKAY?? Not defending the idiot, but lets get your priorities straight.
              Charming, someone from the NM livestock board said this?
              It's extreme cruelty, a penalty, to maliciously kill an animal
              Really? Was that malicious? What are the laws in NEw MExico?
              Insane!
              I hope this isn't directed at me...I was just passing information.
              Boss Mare Eventing Blog
              https://www.youtube.com/user/jealoushe

Comment

• Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                What were they testing for Bluey?
                Are you kidding me? That is proprietary information, sorry.
                I will tell you, it was way more than USDA requires, as it should be, as those are minimum standards.

Comment

Wait a minute, who is the one here that keeps bringing animal rights extremist propaganda here, who keeps starting such threads, who is telling others to quit posting if they don't agree with all that they keep posting, time and again the same, that has been time and again already refuted in so many ways?

Oh, yes, check that out and then come to say it is I who keeps repeating themselves and you will see, "it ain't me".
                  First of all Bluey, it's not always the same poster as far as anti-slaughter goes.

Secondly...refuted? Really? Maybe to your satisfaction.

RaRa brand scrapple...doesn't sound yummy. OBXPony, you slice the scrapple, dredge it in flour, fry it in a bit of oil or butter...it's pure deliciousness (I like mine with ketchup.)

Comment

• Originally posted by Jealoushe View Post
                    I hope this isn't directed at me...I was just passing information.
                    No it wasn't at all, Sorry!

Comment

I will tell you, it was way more than USDA requires, as it should be, as those are minimum standards.
                      You're kidding me, right? You know Bluey, unless you can tell us how you have any inside knowledge, and considering that, at least on the testing end, your supposed slaughter plant knowledge conflicts with Fairfax's, I suspect you're just full of it.

Comment

There you go again Bluey, Are you going to answer my question?
                        What is all this mystery, Who are you, or are you just trying to make yourself sound important. See my post, I think I have asked you before on other threads when you make statements such as you made here and on the one I quoted a few back.

Comment

First of all Bluey, it's not always the same poster as far as anti-slaughter goes.

Secondly...refuted? Really? Maybe to your satisfaction.

RaRa brand scrapple...doesn't sound yummy. OBXPony, you slice the scrapple, dredge it in flour, fry it in a bit of oil or butter...it's pure deliciousness (I like mine with ketchup.)
                          No, I don't mean only one, there are several, don't tell me you really have not noticed that?

Yes, refuted time and again and that seems to be the only time you notice, evidently, not when those on your side keep bringing the same over and over again.

Heck, I have even been told to go somewhere else, as if this was an animal rights extremist site and any other than agreeing with them is not acceptable.

Well, not really, this is a HORSE OWNING, TRAINING, CARING FOR site, if some have not noticed yet.

Comment

What is all this mystery, Who are you, or are you just trying to make yourself sound important. See my post, I think I have asked you before on other threads when you make statements such as you made here and on the one I quoted a few back.

well, she has said in the past that she knew people who worked in a horse slaughter plant 30 years ago in the US, or maybe it was 50 years ago in Europe--can't remember which. And those people she knew told her they tested EVERY horse. I don't recall her ever saying what the horses were tested for.... But, sure enough, according to her source, every. single. horse was tested and inspected.

Comment

You know, I don't ask others direct, personal questions, not twice definitively.
                              I have answered that one before anyway and no, I don't work for any association or government agency, not that it would matter to anyone.
                              I do work with many of those employees and that is where, over a lifetime, I have acquired plenty of information.

I hope that makes you happy.

Comment

You're kidding me, right? You know Bluey, unless you can tell us how you have any inside knowledge, and considering that, at least on the testing end, your supposed slaughter plant knowledge conflicts with Fairfax's, I suspect you're just full of it.
                                No, I was trying to be informative, as you don't seem to know how so much works, as in plain business and regulations and inspections and such.

You don't have to believe me or anyone else, or others believe you either and that is fine, the information is out there, you pick and choose fine, as you wish, for your side, as every one else that reads here can do.

Comment

No, I was trying to be informative, as you don't seem to know how so much works, as in plain business and regulations and inspections and such.

You don't have to believe me or anyone else, or others believe you either and that is fine, the information is out there, you pick and choose fine, as you wish, for your side, as every one else that reads here can do.
                                  Not picking and choosing, simply asking for facts, not speculation on your part. You can say the sky is orange, but that doesn't make it true.

If you have some inside knowledge, then what tests were performed on every single animal? I find that extremely hard to believe...why would a plant exceed the requirements of the USDA and the importing nation?

What did they test for? BSE? Bacterial contamination? Drug residues? Which ones? Looks to me like you have just enough knowledge to snow some people and that's it.

Comment

• I support Bluey in NOT disclosing her sources. I don't know anyone involved in or commenting on an industry with so many hot wires that would put those individuals at risk.

Look at the seizure when GG posted the lady was elderly, lived alone, gave her phone number and DIRECTIONS as to how to get to her farm

If that wasn't trying to incite some wack job to go and do damage I don't know what is.

Izanalter had to ask posters here and on facebook to QUIT CALLING HER HUSBAND and harrasing him for leaving her. Can you imagine..man leaves partner and wacko readings actually think they have a RIGHT to call and threaten the departing partner.

Those anti slaughter refuse to give their information out as they claim they will be harr assed and live in fear.

And yet...they want someone elses sources?

If you don't believe Bluey..irnore or don't read..same as many do with me.
                                    The Elephant in the room

Comment

Well, not really, this is a HORSE OWNING, TRAINING, CARING FOR site, if some have not noticed yet.
                                      Bwahahahaha, thanks for that!!! I guess that rules out a frequent poster then.
                                      "Anti-intellect and marketing, pretty, pretty, who needs talent
                                      Crying eyes, we're so outnumbered, fight for the right to remain silent" Buck 65

Comment

Not picking and choosing, simply asking for facts, not speculation on your part. You can say the sky is orange, but that doesn't make it true.

If you have some inside knowledge, then what tests were performed on every single animal? I find that extremely hard to believe...why would a plant exceed the requirements of the USDA and the importing nation?

What did they test for? BSE? Bacterial contamination? Drug residues? Which ones? Looks to me like you have just enough knowledge to snow some people and that's it.
                                        Why would anyone do the best job that insures it is the best?
                                        If nothing else, because if they missed ONE carcass with residues and one little bit of that one was in the one sample they decided to test for once delivered, guess who is paying for that discarded load of produce?
                                        You don't make that mistake twice, you set protocols to insure the best way you can and it seems that in-house testing of every one carcass was part of those protocols.

Now, you choose not to believe it, coming from where you come from, distrusting all and any that doesn't fit with the slaughter process being any other than evil and that is fine.

There are others reading here that may think that makes sense, don't have to be explained the same time and again.

I don't mind, I will keep explaining what I know, learning about what I don't and making my own mind about all and any, as I expect most here do.
                                        That is what debates are for, I think, unless someone has other agendas to promote, like the animal rights extremists do.

Comment

• Originally posted by up-at-5 View Post
                                          Bwahahahaha, thanks for that!!! I guess that rules out a few frequent posters then.
                                          I can think of a few right here on this thread.

Comment

Working...
                                          X