• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Disgusting - Video of a horse shot in the head by a slaughter proponent in New Mexico

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
    There can be a 3rd party observer. PETA and HSUS are not it. and their track record does not suggest their pick would be a good choice either.
    Ummm.... that would be where the "agreed upon by both sides" part I mentioned comes in. I'm not suggesting HSUS gets to send in the carriage horse protestor crowd, I'm suggesting a party (or parties) both sides can at least agree would be impartial.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
      Ummm.... that would be where the "agreed upon by both sides" part I mentioned comes in. I'm not suggesting HSUS gets to send in the carriage horse protestor crowd, I'm suggesting a party (or parties) both sides can at least agree would be impartial.
      LOL. sorry

NO negotiations with terrorists....

Originally posted by BigMama1
      Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
      GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

• Originally posted by OBXPony View Post
        but if you can haul them straight to the plant will that not make it rise?
        Not if there is someone at the plant looking for stolen horses. As has been done in previous places.

And right now, they are more likely to end somewhere where these things are not tracked.

Comment

Ok, I will repeat, there are already companies that do just that, have for several years now, no need to try to reinvent the wheel.

Comment

• Originally posted by sunny59 View Post
            It has been proven that mechanics fix car problems that are non-existent, does that stop you from getting your car fixed. It has been proven that doctors cut off the wrong leg, does that stop you from going to the doctor. It has been proven that people can steal your identity from you mail, have you stopped all mail delivery?

the answer to all of these and to your question is the same. You do what you can to minimize the risk. You enforce the rules and you monitor enforcment.

There are criminals and slackers in all walks of life. Just put in the control systems and do your best. Will things be 100%? probably not.....

And again, as far as all diseases, you handle it like all other animals in out food chain...... or do you worry about all the other meat you eat? Or are you vegetarian?
            I completely agree, 100%. But all those industries aren't encouraging their respective states to pass anti-whistle blower laws, are they?

Comment

• Originally posted by sunny59 View Post
              It has been proven that mechanics fix car problems that are non-existent, does that stop you from getting your car fixed. It has been proven that doctors cut off the wrong leg, does that stop you from going to the doctor. It has been proven that people can steal your identity from you mail, have you stopped all mail delivery?

the answer to all of these and to your question is the same. You do what you can to minimize the risk. You enforce the rules and you monitor enforcment.

There are criminals and slackers in all walks of life. Just put in the control systems and do your best. Will things be 100%? probably not.....

And again, as far as all diseases, you handle it like all other animals in out food chain...... or do you worry about all the other meat you eat? Or are you vegetarian?

which is why I fix my own car I am picky about my meat, but that is because I always have prefered veggies over meat. I eat meat sparingly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                Ok, I will repeat, there are already companies that do just that, have for several years now, no need to try to reinvent the wheel.
                Apparently the anti side doesn't feel they are impartial, or why would this discussion taking place? If there was someone the average joe felt was looking out for the animal's best interests, someone they felt wasn't in the SH pocket the antis' message wouldn't be getting the traction it is, would it?

Again, the SH doesn't have to do anything to make people more comfortable, they can just continue on dealing with the legislation, the wild stories and fake tapes, and the growing public sentiment against them.... or they can try to make a few concessions to avoid much of that. Their choice.

Comment

Apparently the anti side doesn't feel they are impartial, or why would this discussion taking place? If there was someone the average joe felt was looking out for the animal's best interests, someone they felt wasn't in the SH pocket the antis' message wouldn't be getting the traction it is, would it?

Again, the SH doesn't have to do anything to make people more comfortable, they can just continue on dealing with the legislation, the wild stories and fake tapes, and the growing public sentiment against them.... or they can try to make a few concessions to avoid much of that. Their choice.
                  well, isn't that the whole problem: the anti side does tno think anything short of a 100% ban is good enough.

If the horse is dead, it won't be abused.
                  and people should not eat meat - hence the uproar over horses becoming dinner....
                  GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                    Horses are an easy source of cash for thieves. They can be quickly sold at saleyards, making it difficult to track the thief. Horses in areas that are not well supervised are at highest risk. Horses can also be stolen through civil theft such as bad leases, family or friend disputes, or through divorce. Once stolen, the horses can end up going to slaughter, resold at auction, or end up as riding mounts. The more times they are resold, the harder it is to find a stolen horse. Thieves are only interested in a short-term profit and do not care about where the horse ends up.

Accrding to the USDA sales of stolen horses to slaughter are risky due to ongoing stolen horse registration bodies and the ongoing checks against current data bases.

Google stolen horss and you will also read heart warming stories about reunificationb after many years with a loved horse.

This is just the latest red herring as the Ra'Ra's have failed at their other oints regarding slaughter.
                    Wickipedia?

Comment

LOL. sorry

NO negotiations with terrorists....

LOL, I agree, but I was using HSUS as that is who everyone keeps mentioning; make it a horse council, whatever. The takeaway is that if someone was observing who interested average people felt like they could trust to be telling the truth about what was going on much of the anti message wouldn't be getting the traction it is.

As a average person, I see the extremists posting videos, pictures, and stories about atrocities, and I hear the SH and their proponents saying "nothing to see here, trust us, it's all okay, they're lying......but we aren't interested in doing a damn thing to make you believe us." Yeah, that will work.

Comment

well, isn't that the whole problem: the anti side does tno think anything short of a 100% ban is good enough.If the horse is dead, it won't be abused.
                        and people should not eat meat - hence the uproar over horses becoming dinner....
                        Right, no sense beating a dead horse (couldn't resist!).
                        The issue isn't changing the minds of the antis (never happen), it is informing and/or changing the minds of the general public who could be put at ease with the idea if they knew it was done humanely.

The antis aren't the audience that needs addressed, it is the average person.

Comment

LOL, I agree, but I was using HSUS as that is who everyone keeps mentioning; make it a horse council, whatever. The takeaway is that if someone was observing who interested average people felt like they could trust to be telling the truth about what was going on much of the anti message wouldn't be getting the traction it is.

As a average person, I see the extremists posting videos, pictures, and stories about atrocities, and I hear the SH and their proponents saying "nothing to see here, trust us, it's all okay, they're lying......but we aren't interested in doing a damn thing to make you believe us." Yeah, that will work.
                          Who said they are not doing anything?
                          Just because they don't organize protests and whip their followers all over the internet doesn't mean they are not being proactive.

Remember, they have a job to do, a plant to run, plus inspectors from several different government agencies checking them out, USDA, OSHA, EPA and such, have independent contractors monitoring how they do what they do and reporting to their customers and who knows what other protocols they have for managing it all.

Animal rights extremist groups, on the other hand, don't have anything to do than stand there and take potshots at them, that is their only goal in life, other than getting the gullible to donate to them to save those poor little kittens in their mailing envelopes, asking for more money.

Comment

• Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                            This is why the factory farms and slaughter houses want Ag Gag rules. They don't want to be outed. Tell me why that won't happen in a horse slaughter plant.

http://usatoday30.usatoday.com/news/...deo/57179112/1
                            Thanks for finding that Laura, THAT is what I was referring to when posting to Bluey!!

Comment

Who said they are not doing anything?
                              Just because they don't organize protests and whip their followers all over the internet doesn't mean they are not being proactive.
                              So what are they doing to ensure that the average-joe-leaning-pro-slaughter person feels that they doing things humanely and feels justified in supporting them in the face of all the negative publicity, the stories of abuses, stories of bad inspectors who allow abuses to happen, etc.?

Because I'm that Joe, and I got nothing; never heard anything, haven't seen anything exept their protestations that things the public is told aren't true.

According to you they aren't willing to make a single adaptation to encourage their supporters; they would rather rely on hoping legislation is passed to allow them to operate in the face of the protests and, if that happens, pray that not a single bad thing is ever leaked out to the general public....not the best business model I have heard of, and their PR department sucks.

Comment

So what are they doing to ensure that the average-joe-leaning-pro-slaughter person feels that they doing things humanely and feels justified in supporting them in the face of all the negative publicity, the stories of abuses, stories of bad inspectors who allow abuses to happen, etc.?

Because I'm that Joe, and I got nothing; never heard anything, haven't seen anything exept their protestations that things the public is told aren't true.

According to you they aren't willing to make a single adaptation to encourage their supporters; they would rather rely on hoping legislation is passed to allow them to operate in the face of the protests and, if that happens, pray that not a single bad thing is ever leaked out to the general public....not the best business model I have heard of, and their PR department sucks.
                                According to me?
                                I don't know, but here, the beef slaughter plants have high school and college classes coming thru at times, certain students with some projects also, newsmen regularly when a story touches what they do, etc.

Remember, that is a working environment and they are producing food products, so have many regulations about how much they can let the general public do about walking in there.
                                In some tours, everyone has to wear special protective equipment, etc.

I don't know what they do for PR, but other than animal rights extremists in places like here, most anyone already knows how they operate, a business just like so many others and are not really concerned.

Comment

According to me?
                                  I don't know, but here, the beef slaughter plants have high school and college classes coming thru at times, certain students with some projects also, newsmen regularly when a story touches what they do, etc.

Remember, that is a working environment and they are producing food products, so have many regulations about how much they can let the general public do about walking in there.
                                  In some tours, everyone has to wear special protective equipment, etc.

I don't know what they do for PR, but other than animal rights extremists in places like here, most anyone already knows how they operate, a business just like so many others and are not really concerned.
                                  But we aren't talking about beef plants (who have done PR things to try to assure the average joe that they are as humane as possible), we are talking about animals a greater percentage of the population feels warm fuzzies about and is less comfortable about the idea of slaughtering them.

And a proven impartial observor or two or even, god forbid, 5 or 6 is not the same as high school classes making their way through a plant (yes, was there in high school and have been since, and it wasn't a bid deal to put on the required equipment).
                                  Or, as suggested before, allow those observors to view the tapes on a regular basis; how is that going to effect the day-to-day business of running the plant? The only effect it should have on a well-run plant is a bit less worry about the possible bad publicity from the extremists.

Comment

But we aren't talking about beef plants (who have done PR things to try to assure the average joe that they are as humane as possible), we are talking about animals a greater percentage of the population feels warm fuzzies about and is less comfortable about the idea of slaughtering them.

And a proven impartial observor or two or even, god forbid, 5 or 6 is not the same as high school classes making their way through a plant (yes, was there in high school and have been since, and it wasn't a bid deal to put on the required equipment).
                                    Or, as suggested before, allow those observors to view the tapes on a regular basis; how is that going to effect the day-to-day business of running the plant? The only effect it should have on a well-run plant is a bit less worry about the possible bad publicity from the extremists.
                                    Agree Moon, And it is not a big deal. It is not a big deal for many work places.
                                    And since we are on the subject, someone, Bluey, Fairfax, Whomever
                                    The Videos, that have circulated forever, go to Youtube there are recent ones. Most seem to be real, some, I can see where they were altered, the ones from the 80s spring to mind. I have seen some that I did not feel were bad at all, And I have seen one that I pray to god is fake cause it still gives me the willies, Reminds me of some slasher horror flick.
                                    But the common response is business as usual, no those videos are not a good example of what goes on, Yet those videos fuel the ANTIS fire. And give a bad image to the slaughter houses, and I do not believe for one second that if new ones are to open here in the US and there is big money to be made they will not want repeats of Beltex and dallas crown. So lets hear again, why you keep saying No slaughter house will allow it? The cattle one sure did, cause it was bad press and people do not want to see the cattle stepped on and kicked.

Comment

• After visiting the Canadian SH's Temple Grandin had offered to be the third party with 24 hour feeds coming directly to her office/home.

No-one took her up on her offer.

But let's say the plants would now have someone capable of watching them anytime they wanted to. What about the auction, transport and feedlots.

The USDA FOIA request pictures showed that the injured/dead horses arrived in those conditions at the plant. The USDA could not identify whether the horses were loaded with pre-existing injuries or sustained them during transport.
                                      Obviously the dead horses did die during transport.
                                      \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Comment

We don't have any horse slaughter plants here right now, have not had for years now.
                                        I have been assuming you were talking about current beef plants, when you were speaking of how they are operating.

Of course we don't any of us know how any one horse plant may operate, that we will have to see, if any even gets to open.
                                        Any other is a mere wild guess.

Comment

Right, no sense beating a dead horse (couldn't resist!).
                                          The issue isn't changing the minds of the antis (never happen), it is informing and/or changing the minds of the general public who could be put at ease with the idea if they knew it was done humanely.

The antis aren't the audience that needs addressed, it is the average person.
                                          yes. and that is the only reason why I still bother to participate in this musical chairs even without taking chairs out:
                                          shoot one argument out, we skip to the next, rinse repeat until we are back at the first one, slightly differently worded, maybe by another person.

puking coat hangers comes to mind....
                                          GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Working...
                                          X