• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Disgusting - Video of a horse shot in the head by a slaughter proponent in New Mexico

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #21
    I am sorry if the horse did not die quickly..but it does demonstrate that the anti slaughter are out too lunch when they say dead bolt is not 100% so it should never be used. Shots to the head are the only way.

    I still think this was staged..by the anti-slaughter group

    The guy was just killing a horse. That has NOTHING to do with slaughter and its process
    The Elephant in the room

    Comment


    • #22
      Not watching the video. Yes, the guy's attitude is reprehensible and does not help the cause of humane or euthanasia by gunshot.

      I make a point of NOT watching gruesome videos from countries that I consider less evolved than we are. We can only control so much...

      Comment


      • #23
        Originally posted by ThreeFigs View Post
        Not watching the video. Yes, the guy's attitude is reprehensible and does not help the cause of humane or euthanasia by gunshot.

        I make a point of NOT watching gruesome videos from countries that I consider less evolved than we are. We can only control so much...
        you an watch it, I promise. You won't see anything gruesome.
        Originally posted by BigMama1
        Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
        GNU Terry Prachett

        Comment


        • #24
          Please read here....

          http://shedrowconfessions.wordpress....compassionate/

          ...for the story behind the video. This is the man who is going to be working at the proposed NM slaughterhouse. Killing a horse for no other reason than to be an asshat.

          Comment


          • #25
            Originally posted by MyGiantPony View Post
            Liberty, I did see the original video. Horse went down instantly. The people who say the horse didn't die instantaneously saw the legs twitching - normal nervous system reaction.
            Okay, thanks!
            Equus Keepus Brokus

            Comment


            • #26
              I didn't watch the video, so does he use a bolt gun? Also, as far as this demonstrating anything relevant to slaughter, this is a far cry from what I personally object to about slaughter. This horse is tame, and stood still to be shot according to the posters. It didn't spend a few weeks going from auction to auction and crammed in trucks with strange horses getting beat up. So to argue that because a horse dies instantly from being shot, voila! slaughter really is humane! Uh, no. You can all go shoot horses all day long for all I care as a means of euthanasia. That's not got anything to do with the slaughter industry and the way it abuses horses.
              \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

              Comment


              • #27
                Originally posted by BansheeBreeze View Post
                Please read here....

                http://shedrowconfessions.wordpress....compassionate/

                ...for the story behind the video. This is the man who is going to be working at the proposed NM slaughterhouse. Killing a horse for no other reason than to be an asshat.
                I am sorry, but there is so much hyperbole in the first few paragraphs....extremely graphic? Oh dear me....if that is the extremest they have seen, they fail in life. You see more drastic stuff on Discovery, Learning channel and animal planet, when the wildebeest becomes lunch for Mr Lion....

                layers over layers of emotional verbiage...I wish high schools would teach critical reading skills....

                I am sorry, but the story is less than credible.

                and while searching for the guy this came up
                http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2013-0...boys-roam.html

                happily mixing up all issues....
                Originally posted by BigMama1
                Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                GNU Terry Prachett

                Comment


                • #28
                  I don't believe it is too early for wine.
                  What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

                  Comment


                  • #29
                    Originally posted by oliverreed View Post
                    I don't believe it is too early for wine.
                    Never
                    Originally posted by BigMama1
                    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                    GNU Terry Prachett

                    Comment


                    • #30
                      Originally posted by BoldChance View Post
                      I sucked it up and watched the video too.

                      The guys attitude bothered me a lot. The reason behind shooting the horse (to prove a point) bothers me a LOT.

                      BUT.

                      That cute little chestnut was led over, patted, and remained calm, comfortable, and clueless. Despite his shit-rotten attitude and assholistic message, the guy actually did take the time to make sure the horse was comfortable. One minute he was hanging out happily, the next he was dead. The shot was well placed. The horse was the furthest thing from panicked, scared, or hurting.
                      I wish all horses could go as quietly.
                      This.
                      Euth by gunshot can be humane. If the horse isn't stressed, and shot is accurate then it's fine.
                      The guy makes 2 points...gunshot euth can be humane, and even an ignorant jerk can learn how to do it.

                      Comment


                      • #31
                        Originally posted by MandyVA View Post
                        I didn't watch the video, so does he use a bolt gun? Also, as far as this demonstrating anything relevant to slaughter, this is a far cry from what I personally object to about slaughter. This horse is tame, and stood still to be shot according to the posters. It didn't spend a few weeks going from auction to auction and crammed in trucks with strange horses getting beat up. So to argue that because a horse dies instantly from being shot, voila! slaughter really is humane! Uh, no. You can all go shoot horses all day long for all I care as a means of euthanasia. That's not got anything to do with the slaughter industry and the way it abuses horses.
                        THis^^^.
                        I wonder if this is the same guy that shot the bull 4 times, and resulted in the SH getting suspended for inhumane acts...

                        Comment


                        • #32
                          A horse going from auction to auction has nothing to do with slaughter.

                          When a kill buyer makes a purchase they do not "usually" put it back in an auction...exception...they discover the horse has a lot of talent and they resell it so it does NOT go to slaughter.

                          Gunshots have NOTHING to do with North American slaughter plants.

                          Shooting a bullet in a confined area has too many risks to the humans AND other horses (or livestock)
                          The Elephant in the room

                          Comment


                          • #33
                            I don't have time to read through all of this but the biggest concern here should NOT be that the horse is dead...hell, he might be better off dead than in the hands of some idiot who would use this event/video to flip off the anti-slaughter folks. The biggest concern is the guy's attitude.

                            There is WELL DOCUMENTED information about the mental health of people who work in situations such as slaughter houses (the "trigger puller") and animal shelters - animal control, vets, etc...anywhere that death is prevalent or common. When these people no longer see and respect the life they are about to take - for WHATEVER the reason that life is being taken - VERY bad things can and do happen.

                            One case in point that I had the unfortunate privilege of witnessing first hand:
                            County run animal shelter was in a constant state of conflict, turmoil, etc. from the inside. County officials couldn't keep up with the complaints, etc. and an "investigation" was done as part of a push to privatize the shelter. The technician staff at the animal shelter was under the umbrella of a DVM who was rarely if ever on site. The techs had attended workshops & certification classes that enabled them to administer rabies vax in addition to euthanasia solutions without the vet having to actually be present. All of these workers had been on staff for some years at the point where I became involved with this. These people would behave inhumanely towards animals they were about to euthanize, yanking them around - sometimes injuring them, hang them from kennel slips, do cardiac sticks when it was unnecessary and then screw them up, use catch poles as torture devices and then use the Polaroid kept on hand for the purpose of gathering evidence in cruelty cases to take photos of animals posed in completely disgusting ways. They delighted in taking the heads off animals being sent for rabies testing, having contests of sort involving machetes, etc. How do I know this? Because I was part of the evidence gathering team - I am not now nor ever have been a member of any animal rights group. I was asked to be involved because of my experience as a vet tech. These folks I witnessed had long ago dissociated themselves from the life at the end of the needle. I wouldn't have treated animals that were trying to do me in the way these fools did. We watched 2 of them repeatedly antagonize and hit 2 chow chows on 10 day stray hold and openly discuss how they were going to love killing them on day 10. Again - they had NO respect for the life they were unfortunately going to have to take b/c the dogs were so aggressive. End of story - they were ALL fired - the entire technical staff. The only reason they weren't charged w/misdemeanor animal cruelty was b/c the county wanted to save face as all this had happened under their watch.

                            As for the man in this horse killing video - just because he is petting the horse doesn't mean he is being kind to the horse. Everything else about him speaks volumes about his true intentions in killing the horse . He doesn't respect that this is life at the end of the barrel. He is just using the horse's death as an "F you!" to the anti-slaughter folks. It was not really done for the purposes of education. There are a thousand other ways to do that.

                            I realize that this post will be read by some through a lens of tunnel vision about slaughter. Spend your days taking life and see how it affects you after months of doing it, then talk to me about taking the life of any living creature. I'm far from advocating that slaughter be done away with, so spare me the obnoxious comments. I see this issue from every angle. I do NOT have a problem with killing done humanely BUT - when the dissociation starts, problems are sure to follow...the empirical data proves it. And the ones who suffer most ...well, one might argue the person who is suffering the dissociation. But I would submit that it is those who suffer the effects of the dissociated person (whether it be hog, chicken, cat, dog, horse, cow...whatever). There is also the issue of "compassion fatigue" but I'm pretty sure I've exceeded work count with this...

                            Anyway, pro-slaughter or not, dead horses are not the only aspect of this convoluted issue that demands our attention. For those who so easily see this as black or white...the reality is so far from that...time to get out of the river.

                            Comment


                            • #34
                              Those were my thoughts as well. Thank you for writing that.


                              Originally posted by MMacallister View Post
                              Ok I was brave and watched the video. I am pro slaughter but would like to shoot that guy in the head.
                              He walks up a cute little chestnut with a blaze, rubs its head and shoulders, and says "all you animal activists, F--k you" the screen goes blank but you hear the shot and the fall, and you can see the blurred animal on the ground when the screen comes back on. Then the guy says "good"
                              The only "good" I saw was that the horse did immediately fall and die.
                              The guys attitude bothered me more than anything else. If it had been a horse that looked like it needed to be put down ie lame, old and the video was presented as "look how quick and painless this is" it would have gone a lot farther.
                              IMHO that guy is just an asshat
                              Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                              Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                              -Rudyard Kipling

                              Comment


                              • #35
                                There is WELL DOCUMENTED information about the mental health of people who work in situations such as slaughter houses (the "trigger puller") and animal shelters - animal control, vets, etc...anywhere that death is prevalent or common. When these people no longer see and respect the life they are about to take - for WHATEVER the reason that life is being taken - VERY bad things can and do happen.
                                yes- people simply can't handle dealing out death after death. Some people "disassociate" and treat all living things like inanimate objects; others become terribly sadistic towards the animals; a few completely break down and develop PTSD symptoms. You see it in slaughterhouses, research facilities, high-kill-rate shelters, even in wars, anywhere where killing happens a lot.
                                Which category (sadistic vs. disassociated vs. PTSD) this man has fallen into isn't quite clear from that video, but he has clearly stepped over the line sometime in the fast.

                                Comment


                                • #36
                                  Originally posted by Finzean View Post
                                  I don't have time to read through all of this but the biggest concern here should NOT be that the horse is dead...hell, he might be better off dead than in the hands of some idiot who would use this event/video to flip off the anti-slaughter folks. The biggest concern is the guy's attitude.

                                  There is WELL DOCUMENTED information about the mental health of people who work in situations such as slaughter houses (the "trigger puller") and animal shelters - animal control, vets, etc...anywhere that death is prevalent or common. When these people no longer see and respect the life they are about to take - for WHATEVER the reason that life is being taken - VERY bad things can and do happen.

                                  One case in point that I had the unfortunate privilege of witnessing first hand:
                                  County run animal shelter was in a constant state of conflict, turmoil, etc. from the inside. County officials couldn't keep up with the complaints, etc. and an "investigation" was done as part of a push to privatize the shelter. The technician staff at the animal shelter was under the umbrella of a DVM who was rarely if ever on site. The techs had attended workshops & certification classes that enabled them to administer rabies vax in addition to euthanasia solutions without the vet having to actually be present. All of these workers had been on staff for some years at the point where I became involved with this. These people would behave inhumanely towards animals they were about to euthanize, yanking them around - sometimes injuring them, hang them from kennel slips, do cardiac sticks when it was unnecessary and then screw them up, use catch poles as torture devices and then use the Polaroid kept on hand for the purpose of gathering evidence in cruelty cases to take photos of animals posed in completely disgusting ways. They delighted in taking the heads off animals being sent for rabies testing, having contests of sort involving machetes, etc. How do I know this? Because I was part of the evidence gathering team - I am not now nor ever have been a member of any animal rights group. I was asked to be involved because of my experience as a vet tech. These folks I witnessed had long ago dissociated themselves from the life at the end of the needle. I wouldn't have treated animals that were trying to do me in the way these fools did. We watched 2 of them repeatedly antagonize and hit 2 chow chows on 10 day stray hold and openly discuss how they were going to love killing them on day 10. Again - they had NO respect for the life they were unfortunately going to have to take b/c the dogs were so aggressive. End of story - they were ALL fired - the entire technical staff. The only reason they weren't charged w/misdemeanor animal cruelty was b/c the county wanted to save face as all this had happened under their watch.

                                  As for the man in this horse killing video - just because he is petting the horse doesn't mean he is being kind to the horse. Everything else about him speaks volumes about his true intentions in killing the horse . He doesn't respect that this is life at the end of the barrel. He is just using the horse's death as an "F you!" to the anti-slaughter folks. It was not really done for the purposes of education. There are a thousand other ways to do that.

                                  I realize that this post will be read by some through a lens of tunnel vision about slaughter. Spend your days taking life and see how it affects you after months of doing it, then talk to me about taking the life of any living creature. I'm far from advocating that slaughter be done away with, so spare me the obnoxious comments. I see this issue from every angle. I do NOT have a problem with killing done humanely BUT - when the dissociation starts, problems are sure to follow...the empirical data proves it. And the ones who suffer most ...well, one might argue the person who is suffering the dissociation. But I would submit that it is those who suffer the effects of the dissociated person (whether it be hog, chicken, cat, dog, horse, cow...whatever). There is also the issue of "compassion fatigue" but I'm pretty sure I've exceeded work count with this...

                                  Anyway, pro-slaughter or not, dead horses are not the only aspect of this convoluted issue that demands our attention. For those who so easily see this as black or white...the reality is so far from that...time to get out of the river.
                                  Finzean is quite right that the real issue this thread raises is the societal cost of social pathology.

                                  The video was obviously made by someone really sick, with an agenda to shock. I would not want that person living near me, or near a school, or being allowed to purchase a gun. Imagine being the wife or child of that individual.

                                  Comment


                                  • #37
                                    Originally posted by Lady Eboshi View Post
                                    Finzean is quite right that the real issue this thread raises is the societal cost of social pathology.

                                    The video was obviously made by someone really sick, with an agenda to shock. I would not want that person living near me, or near a school, or being allowed to purchase a gun. Imagine being the wife or child of that individual.

                                    So we need to fear those who work in ALL kill shelters, or ALL chicken, pig, lamb, or cattle slaughter facilities, too, right?
                                    Or just ship ALL those animals over the border so it's NIMBY and another society's problem?
                                    Very broad brush.

                                    Comment


                                    • #38
                                      Originally posted by wendy View Post
                                      yes- people simply can't handle dealing out death after death. Some people "disassociate" and treat all living things like inanimate objects; others become terribly sadistic towards the animals; a few completely break down and develop PTSD symptoms. You see it in slaughterhouses, research facilities, high-kill-rate shelters, even in wars, anywhere where killing happens a lot.
                                      Which category (sadistic vs. disassociated vs. PTSD) this man has fallen into isn't quite clear from that video, but he has clearly stepped over the line sometime in the fast.
                                      well, the grossest people you will ever meet are medical students. A disgusting lot. yes, they spend their time cutting open human bodies. Many of them.
                                      And then they are turned lose on the public as Demi Gods in white. Then they have to relearn that patients are not a file and a disease, but a person.
                                      In Finzean's case, somewhere along the line there was a failure to nip the behavior in the butt, lack of supervision.

                                      Yes, it's a mental health thing, since we are drilled from childhood on that killing is a really bad thing. So much so that we pay others (pittance at that) to do the dirty work for us.
                                      BTW, horse or cow, it does not matter.

                                      Now.
                                      The issues with the video:
                                      Who made it and why.
                                      Of course it's on the video, the guy gives animal rights people the finger, so he has to be pro slaughter, right!

                                      Weird that only the AR group has the video....hmmm
                                      I am open for correction, as always.

                                      the cruelty part
                                      Nope, not cruel.
                                      whether or not he is 'nice' to the horse, it's irrelevant. Horse is here, standing up, gone the next moment. The way it should be. In a calm fashion.

                                      Attitude of the guy
                                      again, it's the part he plays. There is no love lost here for me, I don't care much for people who are in your face in that manner.

                                      As to blanking out the actual shot...oh the DRAMA! I am sure the redneck being hit in the chest by the beer can he slingshotted was much more graphic than the blackout scene. ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-qqUAU6FrM sit back and enjoy, Darwin awards in progress)


                                      Now, the 'articles' gawd....the emotional overload....doesn't anybody write anymore?
                                      Doesn't anybody read with a critical eye anymore?!
                                      I am sorry, but as soon as you have to use derogatory words to make your point, you should be slapped with the article until you see the errors of your way!

                                      Agenda?
                                      damned straight.
                                      and so far it looks like the AR have the bigger reasons.



                                      and to armchair diagnose this guy in the video....good grief!

                                      really?
                                      Originally posted by BigMama1
                                      Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                                      GNU Terry Prachett

                                      Comment


                                      • #39
                                        FWIW, given that article it sounds like this guy slaughters horses for himself, so it's probably he processed and ate the horse. So to the extent there needed to be a "purpose" to his actions, it doesn't sound like the horse just died to prove a point but was also used.

                                        He did do a good job with the euth, horse dropped immediately.

                                        Comment


                                        • #40
                                          Have you every been in a slaughterhouse? You should if you eat meat.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X