• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Disgusting - Video of a horse shot in the head by a slaughter proponent in New Mexico

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by JSwan View Post
    Someone truly versed in conservation knows that there are all kinds of conservation programs that are not predicated upon the act of hunting; nor is their purpose to set aside land for hunting. Any kind of hunting at all.

Just off the top of my head I can think of several:
    QMAP
    CREP
    BMP's
    Wetland mitigation
    Riparian buffers

There are conservation programs one can enroll in through:
    USFW
    NRCS
    SWCD/USDA
    USGS
    NOAA
    EPA

There are also state and federal programs that involve partnerships with NGO's and government, programs at the state level - the list is huge. None involve "canned" hunts.

You're getting really paranoid. Who is Leo? WTF are you talking about?

No - never mind. It seems some of you have got some sort of crazy drama going on somewhere else - leave me out of it. You people are nuts.
    However that is not what you said in your first post, and I quote,
    To this day most conservation efforts are funded in whole or in part either by sporting groups, or through taxes they imposed upon themselves through the Pittman-Robertson Act of 1937. Sportsmen invented the concept of conservation and ethics of wildlife management; those tenets are called the "Seven Sisters of Conservation" - the North American Wildlife Conservation Model. And that conservation also includes conservation of predators - including apex predators. Most wetland preservation in the US can be directly attributed to waterfowlers.
    I agree in the past sportsman were conservationists if only for themselves. Especially for waterfowl. Those entity's you listed do not have a direct agenda such as hunters.

The laws they are passing left and right in my state is enough to make your head spin. From mining sulfide ore with limited accountability to ground water (we are talking Lake Superior aquifer) to hunting wolves with coon hounds and dog training on wolves in March.

If you know anything about wolves you know the females are beginning to den and are heavily pregnant in March. So do you still think they want to conserve our only apex predator? They have already killed nearly a third of the population. They have not been a huge threat to farmers here there are so few. What they are a threat to is bear hunting dogs and now they will allow those very same dogs to hunt them. See illogical. Except that bear dogs carry a $2500 dollar price tag for depredation which will not be lifted even if they are used to hunt wolves.

MT recently wrote into law no buffer zones for Yellowstones wolves. Wyoming can kill them on site any time year. S.Dakota has classified them a vermin even though they have no population. Not much science going on there. And Utah takes the cake, the Sportsman for Fish and Wildlife were recently given $300K of tax payer dollar exclusively for their anti wolf campaign.
    Last edited by sunridge1; Mar. 23, 2013, 10:55 PM.

Comment

I don't think so. Not in my experience. It's a mishmash.

Did you ever figure out that stitch?
      Not really.. did you?? LOL
      I had another one that was weird, and I kept at it and it still looked odd.
      I had better luck going to you tube and looking at Crochet instructional videos!

Comment

• Originally posted by MoonoverMississippi View Post
        What part of "vetted" observor was unclear?
        And if people can't be present to observe, fine, live-feed video will do.
        Want a solution that will keep the majority happy? You have to find a middle ground and compromise on some issues.
        That is what they have. The horses are on tape from the minute they enter the chute. Those tapes must also be available to government inspectors so it is not a case they can be altered or changed. They are also reviewed for staff training and efficiency.
        All of this has been explained but this anti group here on COTH only want to listen to urban legens and decade old information.

No different than the Carriage horse in New York City problem ...
        The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Actually, those posts do not conflict

You accused someone of having a canned hunt on their wildlife preserve; because that is what those are used for.

That is false. There are a myriad of programs available to conserve wildlife and natural resources - the programs are all very complex but they are often funded through Pittman-Robertson tax money, at least in part. Or through tax credits or simply on the goodwill of the owner. QMAP is like that in that the program is voluntary, funded by sportsmen through game departments (license revenue and Pittman-Robertson tax revenue), and lots of volunteer hours and labor. Lots of it.

I think what you are doing, judging by the information you are posting, is getting your information exclusively from animal rights groups. In fact, I can tell you are doing just that. And judging from how you respond to posts with better and unbiased information, you willfully refuse to consider any other source of information.

If the goal was extirpation, the goal would be to eliminate the entire population. The goal is not extirpation; it is population control. You may disagree with that and if you do, you should become more informed and participate in the discourse. Wildlife is a public resource.

But disagreeing with a particular wildlife management approach on one specific species in one small area of the country is no justification for trashing sportsmen; or willfully ignoring the tremendous contribution they have made, and continue to make, on the conservation and preservation of natural resources in the US.
          Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
          Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
          -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• [QUOTE=MoonoverMississippi;6899739]
            Originally posted by jetsmom View Post

And I disagree with that: if they want to quiet the "storm" they should allow "vetted" observors.
            I say "vetted" because there are those AR folks that would use an excuse to "get inside" and then use the carefully cut video to make things look very bad.
            We all know that has been done, but, as I said in my post, we can't rely on the past to make excuses for the present: that applies to both sides, therefore, they should make reasonable concessions to allay concerns.

I personally disagree with the "Ag Gag" legislation. I understand the reasons: to prevent those heavily editted and cut-and-pasted films that present things incorrectly (we all know that happens) and the "make something happen and then tape it" films, but I would rather see them allow vetted observors.
            I think what Fairfax did was excellent, making time to observe the floor; if that was constantly allowed I think that would allay many concerns and provide a "fact check" on the doctored tapes.
            Well, here's an offer...
            I'll buy 2 Mare stare type cameras if Fairfax can get a horse SH in Canada to agree to install one for the stun box and one for the hanging rail, and get mgmt. to agree to allow them to film nonstop for 1 week without letting the employees know it's being filmed. And allow it to be viewed by those interested. If there is a less than 10% miss rate where horses need to be re-stunned and no major humane handling violations like a horse regaining consciousness when hung, 2 horses in stun box at once when one is killed, or using cattle prod on head of horse, then I'll donate 500.00 to any charity he likes, and publicly apologize for remarks about SH's.
            Last edited by jetsmom; Mar. 23, 2013, 11:09 PM.

Comment

• Original Poster

I really just don't get this idea that if I am against horse slaughter, I must be a member or supporter of, or spy for, some radical organization. Stereotype much? I donate to my local SPCA and that is it. When I can, I donate to a local horse rescue that specializes in OTTBs. I have two horses. I ride them. I don't think riding horses is cruel. I have cats and dogs. I don't want to take anyone's cats or dogs or horses away.

And I don't see a problem with a tax to fund a different solution. The livestock industry receives tons of subsidies paid for by the taxpayer. What's the difference? Everyone has to pay taxes for things they don't agree with. That's the way it works.

And I really, really, find the condescending attitude of the some of the posters here towards people who have a different point of view nothing short of astounding. I was reading the thread on some KB that is offering horses for sale (prior to being shipped) and I was pretty well stunned by the instant paranoia and vitriol in response to the OP and another poster.

I don't generally comment on, or read the slaughter threads, and now I know why.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                That is what they have. The horses are on tape from the minute they enter the chute. Those tapes must also be available to government inspectors so it is not a case they can be altered or changed. They are also reviewed for staff training and efficiency.
                All of this has been explained but this anti group here on COTH only want to listen to urban legens and decade old information.

No different than the Carriage horse in New York City problem ...
                You might need to let Temple Grandin know about the video, because fairly recently she was interviewed and stated that she would like to have 3rd party videotaping of all horse slaughterhouses, and she said that all of he horse slaughterhouses had refused to do so and that SOME of the other SH's (who were contracted with McDonalds for instance), used them.

Comment

Actually, those posts do not conflict

You accused someone of having a canned hunt on their wildlife preserve; because that is what those are used for.

That is false. There are a myriad of programs available to conserve wildlife and natural resources - the programs are all very complex but they are often funded through Pittman-Robertson tax money, at least in part. Or through tax credits or simply on the goodwill of the owner. QMAP is like that in that the program is voluntary, funded by sportsmen through game departments (license revenue and Pittman-Robertson tax revenue), and lots of volunteer hours and labor. Lots of it.

I think what you are doing, judging by the information you are posting, is getting your information exclusively from animal rights groups. In fact, I can tell you are doing just that. And judging from how you respond to posts with better and unbiased information, you willfully refuse to consider any other source of information.

If the goal was extirpation, the goal would be to eliminate the entire population. The goal is not extirpation; it is population control. You may disagree with that and if you do, you should become more informed and participate in the discourse. Wildlife is a public resource.

But disagreeing with a particular wildlife management approach on one specific species in one small area of the country is no justification for trashing sportsmen; or willfully ignoring the tremendous contribution they have made, and continue to make, on the conservation and preservation of natural resources in the US.
                  Your version of trashing and mine are apparently very different especially since my husband is a sportsman.

This is not in just one small area of the country. My point is the public was not invited. It is my public land also, I pay taxes and I do actually use it, I ride. Hounds are used on public lands 7 months out of the year. No one bothered to consult/include the other tax paying citizens. The hunters do not own it, just like the ranchers do not own it.

Why must you people call others names? Again, that classless thing comes to mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by newhorsemommy View Post
                    I really just don't get this idea that if I am against horse slaughter, I must be a member or supporter of, or spy for, some radical organization. Stereotype much? I donate to my local SPCA and that is it. When I can, I donate to a local horse rescue that specializes in OTTBs. I have two horses. I ride them. I don't think riding horses is cruel. I have cats and dogs. I don't want to take anyone's cats or dogs or horses away.

And I don't see a problem with a tax to fund a different solution. The livestock industry receives tons of subsidies paid for by the taxpayer. What's the difference? Everyone has to pay taxes for things they don't agree with. That's the way it works.

And I really, really, find the condescending attitude of the some of the posters here towards people who have a different point of view nothing short of astounding. I was reading the thread on some KB that is offering horses for sale (prior to being shipped) and I was pretty well stunned by the instant paranoia and vitriol in response to the OP and another poster.

I don't generally comment on, or read the slaughter threads, and now I know why.
                    Maybe you would understand if you learn more about who the HSUS and such animal rights extremist groups are and what they are after and realize that certain posters are thinly veiled shilling for them:

http://www.activistcash.com/organiza...united-states/

This, to those of us that care for animals, here our horses, is very important.
                    Animal rights groups ultimate goals are of eliminating all use of animals by humans.
                    Slaughter is just one more of those, not important to them if it is humane or not, just that no one gets to use any animal, here for us important because that means our horses, in any way and attacking where they can get a toe hold, where some gullible ones listen to them and their myths and propaganda.

As they used to say, before they were called on that by more rational people and it became not PC enough, "one generation and no more domestic animals and none too soon for me".

Comment

• Originally posted by jetsmom View Post
                      Many of the horses that are bought for slaughter COULD be useful if given the opportunity.
                      GREAT comment.

I can already predict the argument the pro-slaughter would bring up? Who's going to buy those horses?

If the horses were properly assessed as to training, health and personality, I bet a lot of people would purchase them, especially if the price was not inflated.
                      Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
                      http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
                      http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by sunridge1 View Post
                        No one bothered to consult/include the other tax paying citizens.
                        Why must you people call others names? Again, that classless thing comes to mind.
                        Of course citizens are consulted. Wildlife management does not happen in a vacuum.

What is more accurate is to say you did not participate when those consultations took place.

The world is governed by the people who show up. (and in the case of wildlife management, science as well)
                        Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                        Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                        -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by jenm View Post
                          GREAT comment.

I can already predict the argument the pro-slaughter would bring up? Who's going to buy those horses?

If the horses were properly assessed as to training, health and personality, I bet a lot of people would purchase them, especially if the price was not inflated.
                          But, but, that is what traders and trainers already do, have always done, sorted thru the horses and tried to resell those that can be used for other, of course!

We even have one such thread right now, have you not noticed?

Sadly, if you believe it or not, that by far is not enough of a market for all horses out there that don't fit any other we do with them, or when there are more horses than buyers, which happens regularly as the economy changes.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                            Maybe you would understand if you learn more about who the HSUS and such animal rights extremist groups are and what they are after and realize that certain posters are thinly veiled shilling for them:

www.activistcash.com/hsus

This, to those of us that care for animals, here our horses, is very important.
                            Animal rights groups ultimate goals are of eliminating all use of animals by humans.
                            Slaughter is just one more of those, not important to them if it is humane or not, just that no one gets to use any animal, here for us important because that means our horses, in any way and attacking where they can get a toe hold, where some gullible ones listen to them and their myths and propaganda.

As they used to say, before they were called on that by more rational people and it became not PC enough, "one generation and no more domestic animals and none too soon for me".
                            That site is more propaganda than any link to anti slaughter that I have ever seen posted on here. Richard Berman is a paid lobbyist for Big Ag, Alcohol and tobacco industry, among others. He personally takes 92 cents of every dollar donated to his charities...Far more than HSUS takes for salary.
                            And your well worn quote is taken out of context, and was referring to heirloom cattle, which you know, but continue to ignore.

Comment

• Originally posted by newhorsemommy View Post

Yes, pro-slaughter and pro-carriage posters make sure to ridicule and disparage those who don't support their views. It is typical here.

Comment

• Originally posted by jetsmom View Post
                                That site is more propaganda than any link to anti slaughter that I have ever seen posted on here. Richard Berman is a paid lobbyist for Big Ag, Alcohol and tobacco industry, among others. He personally takes 92 cents of every dollar donated to his charities...Far more than HSUS takes for salary.
                                And your well worn quote is taken out of context, and was referring to heirloom cattle, which you know, but continue to ignore.
                                Yep, can count on you dismissing what is not to your liking, ignoring that the site is about the truth you rather others didn't know about who those groups really are.
                                Here is more, corroborating what that web site is stating, that you can't dismiss so easily:

http://www.nathanwinograd.com/?p=6510

That quote was published as part of an interview as you say, but he was using that long before that and since clearly as stated and the agenda is still the same, in a new suit to be more palatable to today's internet audience, that's all.

Comment

Of course citizens are consulted. Wildlife management does not happen in a vacuum.

What is more accurate is to say you did not participate when those consultations took place.

The world is governed by the people who show up. (and in the case of wildlife management, science as well)
                                  You are dead wrong here my dear.

Comment

Actually, those posts do not conflict

BTW I asked if the preserve was canned or otherwise. Gah! I am tiring of this constant correction. So you win. I'm a loser you're a winner. I cannot compete with your constant barrage of spin nor do I want to. I loathe dishonesty.

Our country is so screwed.

Comment

BTW I asked if the preserve was canned or otherwise. Gah! I am tiring of this constant correction. So you win. I'm a loser you're a winner. I cannot compete with your constant barrage of spin nor do I want to. I loathe dishonesty.

Not really, you accused me way before you asked anything.
                                      Short memory is not an excuse, sorry, can't change what was posted.
                                      Here it is again, your first rather odd comment about this, way off topic.
                                      Don't know where you got any crazy ideas about canned hunts?

---"---sunridge1: you even live in genuine wolf country to even have one iota of knowledge about what is going on in the wolf states? Except MN, thank goodness for MN. Are YOU active in anything other than your canned hunts?"---

Comment

BTW I asked if the preserve was canned or otherwise. Gah! I am tiring of this constant correction. So you win. I'm a loser you're a winner. I cannot compete with your constant barrage of spin nor do I want to. I loathe dishonesty.[
                                        you do? go figure.

yes, please quit messing with it.
                                        Originally posted by BigMama1
                                        Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                                        GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Oh Oh...I don't even have to travel over to the old TROT forum...shall I just bring a couple of posts from past threads on COTH to this current one...?
                                          The Elephant in the room

Comment

Working...
                                          X