• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Disgusting - Video of a horse shot in the head by a slaughter proponent in New Mexico

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alright,
    I have some thoughts (don't read 'em if you don't want to know):

1. Many of us have been horse owners and for whatever reason, may not currently own one, yet we did not have a lobotomy and forget our experiences or our knowledge. Funny how that works.

2. There are certain posters here that seem to believe if they say enough outrageous things to support their "side", they will not only be given respect, but people will actually continue to read their posts. I tend to tune out people who are irrational unless they are paying me my full rate to do-so.

3. Logic and reason are still useful. Please continue to utilize their service.

4. Emotional rantings are better left for your journal or therapist. Emotions themselves are not bad, but the way in which they are expressed can work against your ability to persuade those of us who take advantage of thought #3.

I'm fairly certain all that post here care about the welfare of horses. With that said, I think some people are more emotionally reactive than others and really need to consider how they come off to the general population reading these threads. Yes, real people not involved with horses do occasionally stumble upon a "google" search. Try not to make us all look like lunatics. Please.
    Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
    W. C. Fields

Comment

• When the hell is Tribal Council. I've got a vote I'd like to cast. I only wish I had more than one.

Comment

• Originally posted by JSwan View Post
        If the "opening up more SH" was in reference to my comments about the Federal Meat Inspection Act; you did not read for content.

I was referring to the possibility that the Act could be amended to permit small plants to accept horses for disposal. Not slaughter for human consumption; except perhaps in the case of custom-exempt plants which can process animals for human consumption - but for the owners only. The meat cannot enter the national (or international) food supply.

That was not intended to be a one size fits all solution to the problem of excess/unwanted horses.

Absorbing the excess horses through a variety of avenues is a more reasonable approach than demanding owners just be more responsible. I would rather see old Dobbin get a bullet from a local knacker than be sent to an auction and ending up God knows where.
        No it was in response to Lady eboshi. I'd have no problem with local abbatoirs. It would help make euth more affordable. However, it will not change the number of horses slaughtered for human consumption. The demand for it being reduced or banning transport to slaughter AND having a high enough export fee (like Mex does if you try to get a horse from Mex to US...about 1500.00) to make it not worthwhile to ship out of the country, are the only things that will reduce the number of US horses sent to slaughter for human consumption.

Increased funding for animal control/animal regulation enforcement, funding of gelding and euth clinics, and hay banks will help reduce neglect/abandonment. If we would ever do an export fee, then that money could be divided among State vet offices to fund the above. Right now, animal neglect/abuse cases very rarely get prosecuted with stiff fines and jail time. Look at Baker's court case and his 165k in unpaid fines. He continued/continues to operate while owing the money.

Comment

• Yes, I agree that there must be multiple solutions.

One of my personal pet peeves is that animal control still tends to be the red headed stepchild of law enforcement.
          Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
          Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
          -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

• Originally posted by JSwan View Post
            Yes, I agree that there must be multiple solutions.

One of my personal pet peeves is that animal control still tends to be the red headed stepchild of law enforcement.

If we have more than one way, we can have our way more often.

While I agree, AC needs more teeth, we need to be careful who we charge with the acquisition!

(k, back to the grindstone..)
            Originally posted by BigMama1
            Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
            GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

• OH MY GOSH~ Something just occurred to me, Slap me on the head and call me stupid, Something I just read in an above post,
              It's not the slaughtering some people object to, its the fact that they are being EATEN isn't. Am I wrong? because even if the conditions are optimal there is still the statement,"Slaughtered for Human consumption" Whoa, That is it isn't it. It's late for me, I get up early, forgive me.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sannois View Post
                OH MY GOSH~ Something just occurred to me, Slap me on the head and call me stupid, Something I just read in an above post,
                It's not the slaughtering some people object to, its the fact that they are being EATEN isn't. Am I wrong? because even if the conditions are optimal there is still the statement,"Slaughtered for Human consumption" Whoa, That is it isn't it. It's late for me, I get up early, forgive me.

well on the surface it seems that way....

but in the end it is still rainbows and butterflies.
                GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

• Originally posted by Sannois View Post
                  OH MY GOSH~ Something just occurred to me, Slap me on the head and call me stupid, Something I just read in an above post,
                  No not really (ie, yes you are wrong in a way). I clarified it, because you could have local abbatoirs that would slaughter horses and render them, and that would be fine. Or if someone wants to shoot and eat their own horse, it's fine. The "human consumption" part I added is because that is what drives the large foreign companies (and what Sue Wallis wants a piece of) that slaughter horses. There is no horsemeat in US commercial pet food, and enough horses die every year, that rendering companies can get what they need. It's the demand overseas for horsemeat for human consumption that results in huge horse SH 's where the process from auction, transport, feedlot, slaughter is often inhumane. But a person eating their own horse isn't the problem (if it was killed humanely).
                  But in order to keep it profitable, only a few large foreign owned SH are around to make it feasible to kill the horses and ship large amounts of horsemeat overseas. Small abbatoirs wouldn't be able to make enough money doing that.

Comment

• I agree with you Jetsmom, I don't care about humans eating horsemeat. I don't care about the rendering, if that is what you choose.

However, if you want to slaughter horses for meat, slaughter dogs and cats as well. None are raised for meat in the US (that I know of). Other countries eat dogs and cats....take people's unwanted pets and slaughter them. That is really what we are speaking of.

Comment

• That's what I seen ,and I felt. That this is the kind of person that could drown unwanted puppies,kittens,mentally challegended kids, old people,Nazi asshole! I've been in the situation,where ,the vet,for what ever reason,can't get there! Had a person that loved horses and he said,after watchin, the video-when he had to do this he knew the horse needed to be relieved from the pain-He also said"Ya'll better watch that bastard,he like's killin' too much--

Comment

• Originally posted by zoma View Post
                        That's what I seen ,and I felt. That this is the kind of person that could drown unwanted puppies,kittens,mentally challegended kids, old people,Nazi asshole! I've been in the situation,where ,the vet,for what ever reason,can't get there! Had a person that loved horses and he said,after watchin, the video-when he had to do this he knew the horse needed to be relieved from the pain-He also said"Ya'll better watch that bastard,he like's killin' too much--

and we have slipped off the deep end again.....
                        GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

• I am unable to locate any statement from the company that the man in the video was fired.

I have been unable to locate a "prime time" or credible news media that has printed "the letter" from Valley Meats.

Is anyone able to direct me to a connection i.e. radio, tv in New Mexico that has actually printed or reported "the letter"
                          The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                            I am unable to locate any statement from the company that the man in the video was fired.

I have been unable to locate a "prime time" or credible news media that has printed "the letter" from Valley Meats.

Is anyone able to direct me to a connection i.e. radio, tv in New Mexico that has actually printed or reported "the letter"
                            Why don't you contact A. Blair Dunn, Esq, The atty that released the letter?

Comment

• Originally posted by jetsmom View Post
                              Why don't you contact A. Blair Dunn, Esq, The atty that released the letter?
                              Thank you.
                              The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                                I am unable to locate any statement from the company that the man in the video was fired.

Per Albuquerque Journal Newspaper- (re- firing)
                                http://www.abqjournal.com/main/2013/...s-outrage.html

Comment

• http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...m_hp_ref=green

confirms loss of job

The letter was so poorly constructed I had my doubts a lawyer would have let something like that leave his office. ..

This is from the article: Many animal humane groups and public officials are outraged at the idea of resuming domestic slaughter, including New Mexico Gov. Susana Martinez, who points to the iconic animal's role as a loyal companion in the West.

De Los Santos has said the meat from his plant would be processed for human consumption in Russia, eastern Europe and Asia. It will also be used for pet foods.

Angela...here is yet another mention of ASIA..also pet foods

The passport only requires the horse be documented by the owner for the past SIX MONTHS. That is why the number of equine feedlots has expanded. They will be able to comply with that demand. Until the test on LIVE horses is finalized, they will continue to test meat from "specific runs".. Any meat testing positive of a E.U. banned substance will be shipped to processors for non human consumption usage AND also to ASIA where there is no ban.

According to the vets with the Canadian border many horses shipped have not been handled so it is rare that they would have been able to consume banned substances.
                                  The Elephant in the room

Comment

• As a horse lover and horse owner i would rather 100% of horses that were destined for slaughter from the united states be put down via this method (shot in the head) versus going over the border to the great unknown.

Are people who are so caught up in this.... do you think animals never die? Do you think that a fairybook ending greets every horse and they live forever and ever and die in the arms of a little girl who loves them oh so much?

The horse slaughter industry has only gained momentum over the past years since it has been banned, only in exports. No horses were "saved". They were just sent over the border to a more horriffic fate.

So well f'ing done, all of you "'activists". You can hop, skip and jump up and down knowing that we are not killing horses in this country. Meanwhile the horrific unintended consequences of your actions mean that these horses now have to endure multiple day journeys on packed containers to meet the same fate under circumstances we cannot control. Well done, all of you.

Comment

• Originally posted by Manahmanah View Post
                                      As a horse lover and horse owner i would rather 100% of horses that were destined for slaughter from the united states be put down via this method (shot in the head) versus going over the border to the great unknown.

Are people who are so caught up in this.... do you think animals never die? Do you think that a fairybook ending greets every horse and they live forever and ever and die in the arms of a little girl who loves them oh so much?

The horse slaughter industry has only gained momentum over the past years since it has been banned, only in exports. No horses were "saved". They were just sent over the border to a more horriffic fate.

So well f'ing done, all of you "'activists". You can hop, skip and jump up and down knowing that we are not killing horses in this country. Meanwhile the horrific unintended consequences of your actions mean that these horses now have to endure multiple day journeys on packed containers to meet the same fate under circumstances we cannot control. Well done, all of you.
                                      They were being sent over the border before the 3 SH's here in the US shut down. And slaughter in the US has not been banned. Only a couple of states actually ban it. They often had long transport over 22 hrs when the 3 SH's were open in the US. The shippers did not ship to whoever was closest. Often horses were shipped from New Holland or Sugarcreek to Dallas Crowne or Beltex when Cavel was much closer. Recently 2 loads were shipped from Wisconson to the Santa Teresa POE bound for Mex, instead of going to Canada which was closer. FWIW, the 2 truckloads were rejected at the border due to strangles, and the drivers dumped them (all 72 horses) in the desert to starve. The slaughter industry perpetuates more abuse than not having it does.

And you need to google Beltex FOIA documents, and look at the couple of hundred pages of humane violations in 11 months at ONE US horse SH when we had it open. Also google Charlie Carter, and Baker court case, to read about just how humane it was here. There are still over 165, 000.00 in court fines that are unpaid by baker for Humane transport violations, and he continued/continues to operate unimpeded.

Comment

• I agree with that too. We generally are a meat eating society. What does that say about us that we treat the animals that feed us so poorly.

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                                        HAACP, for one.

The USDA has a small plant outreach program that does try and help processors cope with the burden; but it's kind of a losing battle.

But, new plants are starting up - this is just my opinion but I think the USDA realized they screwed the pooch when so many plants went belly up.

I'm not sure 4 plants processing over 80% of the nations cattle is a good thing for food safety.

Anyway - my personal view is that there is rarely, if ever, a one size fit all blanket solution for every problem. And while I would like everyone to be a responsible animal owner, the truth is many aren't.

I would rather provide a myriad of reasonable options for people to divest ownership, rather than just screaming at them that they hate ponies.

I must make one thing clear - if small plants were permitted to accept horses not all would. The one near me is operating at capacity - they don't need the business. But others would. Every business is different, every area is different. It is just one possible option.

And frankly, seeing those horror stories about the illegal slaughterhouses in places like Florida - it would be very nice if more of the custom-exempt plants opened up. If nothing else to be the end point as part of an educational process for the population used to doing things that way. That's probably pie in the sky, though.
                                        The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                                        H. Cate

Comment

• ROFL - well dang for a brief moment we were playing nicely in the sand box............NEXT!!!

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                                          and we have slipped off the deep end again.....
                                          The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                                          H. Cate

Comment

Working...
                                          X