• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What trailer?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What trailer?

I have an 88 FS 4X4 Bronco with the biggest engine they put in it. Bronco is is good shape with less than a hundred thousand miles on it, but it's getting up in the 90's, so that wont last.

I WAS going to get a class 3 equalizer hitch put on it, then go look for a horse trailer. Called the U-Haul people to get a bid on a hitch, and they told me that the Bronco was only rated up to 6000 lbs.

Is it possible to get a horse trailer for this thing that will do the job? I own one horse - an ASB mare. If I were to haul for friends, they will have probably WBs or TWHs. (I sort of have a foot in both worlds - western trail and english).

Is there any trailer that the Bronco could pull? Or do I need to look for a new truck? If so, what kind? I suppose a 2 horse slant is out?

All help appreciated!
    Founding Member: Spotted Saddlebred Pals Clique

If the Bronco is only rated for 6,000 lbs. and you plan to haul 2 horses, even small ones, you can figure at least 2,000 lbs of horses; That leaves you only 4,000 lbs for the trailer and anything else you'd put in it. That's not much especially if by western trail you're talking trail riding and potentially being away from home for a few days.

My advice: Buy (or borrow) the book The Complete Guide to Buying, Servicing and Maintaining a Horse Trailer by Neva and Thomas Shreve (Amazon sells it). It will tell you all you need to know about compatibility of tow vehicles and trailers, plus give you pros and cons of all different trailer types.

If you plan to do much trailering at all, I'm thinking you would be better off looking for a new truck so you could consider more trailer options. As for a 2-horse slant, I have one (GN) and absolutely love it, especially the rear tack so I can keep horse stuff organized in one spot. But while slants work great for small to mid-size horses, some big horses don't like them; their stall length is constrained by the trailer width. Also if you do look at slants be sure to compare the stall width; it varies with brand.
    It's just grass and water till it hits the ground.

Comment

Agree with the above ... here's some links to give you a heads start ...

http://www.equispirit.com/info/towing.htm

http://queryhorse.com/toppages/artic...owvehicles.asp

http://www.floridahorse.com/trailertowing.html

Comment

None. The wheelbase is way too short on a Bronco to safely haul a horse trailer.
        <flamesuit on>
        ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

Comment

I have a friend who pulled a 2 horse bumper pull straight load with a dressing roam for years with no problems. She did use a weight distributing hitch and only hauled one horse, but she used that set up for close to 10 years.
          "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

As always, it's not just the ability of the vehicle to pull a load... it's the ability to stabilize the load - especialy Live Weight. Also, the transmission must be able to handle the load placed on it under stress (going up hill). The Bronco cannot handle live load weight stabilization, nor can its tranny.
            <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

The Bronco would have the same tranny as an F150 as well as engine and rear axle ratio. I used the same set up in a '90 F150 with no issues pulling, stopping or stabilizing a load. The only difference would be the wheel base of the Bronco. With the correct hitch and brake box, it can be done safely!
              "You can't fix stupid"- Ron White

Comment

Cool and flat you might squeak by for short distances but I would test the trailer brakes each time you set out and stay off the interstate. It's risky, way less than optimal.
                I wasn't always a Smurf
                Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
                "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

get a used brenderup or one of those newer trailers like brenderup (can't remember the name right now, fautras?) and you'll be fine. Bonus is it has its own brakes.

Comment

I know you probably don't want to hear this as you are probably at a point in your life where you really need to haul independently, but don't skimp. Wait, save the $ and get a tough half or three quarter ton and a safe trailer. Light BP trailers are not optimal, and neither is the vehicle you want to use. Together, IMO that is too much of a risk. Don't waste your $ on something unsafe, you won't regret waiting in the end.

Good luck

"Pat the horse; kick yourself" - Carl Hester

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you everyone.

What I was thinking of, was to be able to take Holly to other trails around town. She is generally boarded near a trailhead that we can just ride to. Phoenix is a big hiking city, and there are hundreds of trails, within the city limits in the mountain preserves, and many of them are rated ok for horses. Also, with the issues around her recent medical troubles I posted elsewhere on COTH ( eye scratch, colic and bone chip surgery), I started thinking that I wanted to be able to get her to the hospital on a moment's notice without having to get a friend out of bed or away from work.. But, since I posted the beginning of this thread, and having some of you talk about hills, I have wondered about how she would do upcountry.

Hmmmmm....

Holly will just leap into a slant load trailer. B hauled her for me after the surgery. I couldn't be there for the haul (work). She said that Holly was trying to get into the trailer even before she had both doors open!! (GET ME OUTTA' HERE!!!!) But D and I hauled her to the hospital in a straight load, and it was a real job getting her into it. So I had hoped I could get a two-horse slant for a "reasonable" price and that the Bronco would do it.

It seems that it may work with a small straight load, but mostly probably not. When I was younger I had a boat, and pulled that, but am a real newbie to hauling horses.

I would hate to have ANYTHING happen to Holly.

Yes. I have it bad for her.. but B says that's not a bad thing.

So I will postpone my trailer purchasing, and truck adapting for now. I have ordered the book from Amazon and when it arrives, start packing my noggin' with words on trailers. I went looking at trucks the other day, and all of them were so HUGE, but I may need to adjust my expectations..

Thanks again!

Comment

You have chosen wisely grasshopper
                        <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

to repeat, you have chosen wisely grasshopper!

Comment

Originally posted by kari View Post
                            None. The wheelbase is way too short on a Bronco to safely haul a horse trailer.
                            <flamesuit on>
                            Absolutely.

Haters, get a wider flame-thrower.
                            The armchair saddler
                            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

• Original Poster

Great Book!

Originally posted by GotMyPony View Post
                              My advice: Buy (or borrow) the book The Complete Guide to Buying, Servicing and Maintaining a Horse Trailer by Neva and Thomas Shreve (Amazon sells it). It will tell you all you need to know about compatibility of tow vehicles and trailers, plus give you pros and cons of all different trailer types.
                              It came a few days ago. This book is such an education! I've only started it and I already am being shown where my previous ideas were wrong, and why.

Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by cutter99 View Post
                                The only difference would be the wheel base of the Bronco. With the correct hitch and brake box, it can be done safely!
                                Till it can't and your horse is dead. Check your physics on that "only" difference and its effect. Yes, I know I'm banging my head against a wall, but it's already calloused, LOL.

Good choice, OP and you won't regret it. I hauled for a while with an old Expedition and a Tahoe, both longer and heavier than the Bronco. I was very careful and only ever hauled one horse, but now that I traded in for a used diesel F250, I realize the massive difference and I will never go back. Had I known then what I know now, I would have saved myself the maintenance money on the smaller engines and just bought the proper truck in the first place, but hindsight....
                                Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                                We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Working...
                                X