• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Has anyone here used CL to sell a (decent) horse?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anyone here used CL to sell a (decent) horse?

Just curious. I have one for sale and while he's not the most expensive thing in the world, he's not a total cheapie either. Wondering if it'd be worth putting him on CL or if it would just bring the crazies and tire kickers out. I'm scared to get into specifics for fear of it being considered "advertising" here, but will say he's not an $800 trail horse or a senior citizen. Thoughts?

Originally posted by KPF View Post
    Just curious. I have one for sale and while he's not the most expensive thing in the world, he's not a total cheapie either. Wondering if it'd be worth putting him on CL or if it would just bring the crazies and tire kickers out. I'm scared to get into specifics for fear of it being considered "advertising" here, but will say he's not an $800 trail horse or a senior citizen. Thoughts?
    I know this isn't a direct answer to your question, as I haven't used CL to sell horses. However, I have purchased two exceptionally nice WBs off CL, one of which is my GP prospect. I also recently found a lovely premium WB mare on CL. It's become one of the first and most frequent places I check
    Piaffe Girl -- Dressage. Fashionably.
    http://piaffegirl.wordpress.com/
    https://www.facebook.com/PiaffeGirl

Comment

i do not understand why some people refuse to use CL. it is one of the busiest places that people look. FREE and lots of viewers. Why wouldn't you use it? i have seen some $12,000 horses and free horses on CL. as well as tack.

Comment

Originally posted by Nezzy View Post
        i do not understand why some people refuse to use CL. it is one of the busiest places that people look. FREE and lots of viewers. Why wouldn't you use it? i have seen some $12,000 horses and free horses on CL. as well as tack.
        Exactly.

What could it possibly hurt to toss him up there? Takes half a second to delete a spam email, and you get those from all the regular horse classified sites too.

Comment

I can't answer the OP's question either, but I don't understand why anyone wouldn't take advantage of CL. You can simply delete any inquiries that don't seem legitimate. I've used it to buy and/or sell just about everything and actually have had quite a bit of luck finding skilled help for home renovations. I have an RSS feed set up to alert me of horses, tack, and pontoon boats for sale in my area - I love it .

Comment

• Original Poster

Yeah, that's sort of what I was thinking, GoFor. I've never known anyone that bought or sold a horse there so figured I'd post here for opinions. I'm in a pretty horsey area but typically only see super cheap and/or old horses on my local CL. I'll try it this weekend and see what sort of response I get. I think my biggest hesitation with it is that horsey is at home and not beginner friendly so I don't want to attract the "my kid wants a free pony ride on Sunday" type. So far I've only advertised on horse-only sites and my fb.

*ETA-- I'm not anti-CL at ALL, we've used it to rent several houses that we own, buy farm equipment, sell hay, sell a car, etc. and have met some very nice people! Just wasn't sure about it from a horse selling standpoint.

Comment

Bought a $2000.00 trail horse off of CL, nice horse just too much horse for his elderly rider.

Comment

I bought a WB mare off Craigslist this fall. I will admit that I was apprehensive about the source *and* the price (moreso the price) but in the end found the mare to be exactly what she was advertised to be. And, since the seller had had her advertised for sale for some time (but not on CL), it was a pretty quick and efficient sale, since someone like me peruses CL frequently and saw the ad right away. '

So, I wouldn't be against listing a horse on CL, but I do think there is a difference between the "typical" CL advertisement and a good sale ad - the latter being one that will attract a good buyer and minimize the bad buyers.

Comment

Yup, and I can't imagine why people would NOT post an ad there. If a crazy comes your way, show them the door. That said, plenty of respectable people check craigslist. I've actually had more trouble with the crazies on Dreamhorse than Craigslist.

Comment

Insofar as *I* check, CL, I know there are some non-BS horse buyers out there. IMO, you have to vet any buyer and do the customer service that comes with selling horses regardless of the place you advertise.

In my neck of the woods, you'll see lots of horses you don't want on something like Dreamhorse, too.
                    The armchair saddler
                    Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

As a buyer, Craig's List would not even be on my list of places to look.

We do not breed so we have bought all of our stock. Just personal preference on our part but we have used known sources for all of our purchases. We have never gotten a horse that was not the one we wanted.

As for selling a horse on Craig's List; I prefer to not have guests at our place that I need to check the police blotter to make sure they are not on the catch list.

Comment

Originally posted by clanter View Post

We do not breed so we have bought all of our stock. Just personal preference on our part but we have used known sources for all of our purchases. We have never gotten a horse that was not the one we wanted.

As for selling a horse on Craig's List; I prefer to not have guests at our place that I need to check the police blotter to make sure they are not on the catch list.
                        Why is it ANY different than any other classifieds listing service?

Comment

Originally posted by GoForAGallop View Post
                          Why is it ANY different than any other classifieds listing service?
                          None, do not use those either.

Comment

How Rude of you. A Lot of great people Myself included, look thru CL every day. How can you think that only dirtbags and criminals do?

Comment

How Rude of you. A Lot of great people Myself included, look thru CL every day. How can you think that only dirtbags and criminals do?
                              I don't believe the poster's intent was rudeness. I have never looked for a horse on cl either. I have always found my horses by word of mouth. It just so happened this last horse was on cl, but I only found out about her because someone sent me the ad.
                              Hillary Rodham Clinton - the peoples choice for president.

Comment

Just my opinion, but it does appear that some sellers on Craig's List steal to order, thus make a career

May be my point of view is tainted since I spent years working on prisions and even the one for teenagers we were continuely advised to not turn our back on these kids as they were all in this State School for murder.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Giddings_State_School

Comment

Well, in an ideal world, the perfect buyer would always be a friend of a friend, and there would never be a need to advertise for anything.

But, in the *real world*, sometimes the perfect seller and buyer don't happen to be local acquaintances, so it's necessary to advertise, and in today's day and age it's on the internet. I don't know that a seller is really any *safer* from wackos by selling a horse on dreamhorse or Bigeq.com; wackos come in all shapes, sizes and income levels....and it's still the internet.

As with any internet advertisement - I would make the best ad I could manage; minimize my personal details online to the best of my ability, and have a plan for weeding out the riff raff just in case. Really, the same would apply whether I was using word of mouth; just because someone hears about your perfect horse through someone you trust - doesn't make them any less of a criminal or wacko.

Comment

Originally posted by Gestalt View Post
                                    I don't believe the poster's intent was rudeness.
                                    Yes it was.
                                    Check out the general tone of her other posts.
                                    A pussycat of a horse with a chewed off tail won the triple crown, The Cubs won the world series and Trump won the Presidency.
                                    Don't tell me 'It can't be done.'

Comment

Originally posted by 5 View Post
                                      Yes it was.
                                      Check out the general tone of her other posts.
                                      I felt I understood their intent because it seemed to be the same as my own.
                                      Me know nut ting!!!
                                      Hillary Rodham Clinton - the peoples choice for president.

Comment

I sold my last horse (list price was $5500) off a Kijiji ad, and bought Felix off the same site (he was $500). Kijiji is very similar to Craigslist, and very popular in Canada.

I find it just another option for listing - and for buying you find a lot more "diaminds in the rough" listed because the type of person who lists only on Kijiji/craiglist are often not advertised everywhere else on the net.
                                        www.felixfjord.blogspot.com

Comment

Working...
                                        X