• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The "other" track horses - Standardbreds

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The "other" track horses - Standardbreds

Just wondered who out there might have one and what they were doing with theirs?

We used to get a bunch when I worked at a summer camp in college. They were typically sane, smart horses, quieter than their TB counterparts, and sounder too. Is this the norm?

Some never quite "got" cantering (we had a few that would pace but most that came through seemed to be trotters) and some others turned into fabulous jumpers and lesson horses.

I am NOT in the market, but I AM sad of battling lameness issues in my TB. I have had mostly TBs and TBXs, never thought about owning a standardbred.... but I have New Vocations in my FB newsfeed and just saw a promo about STBs. If they are seemingly sounder/sturdier than their TB friends maybe that is a direction for me to go, someday.
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

A recent thread on the topic:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...t=standardbred

Comment

Well, since that was my thread quoted, I'll give you an update

I did end up adopting my STB from New Vocations, from their Michigan facility. My mare is a trotter, small, with only 6 starts to her name. I adopted her sight unseen, after doing tons of research on my own and with much help from sk_pacer. As soon as she walked off the trailer, I was in love. She is everything NV said she was. Well mannered, quiet temperament, ties, clips, loads, bathes. Her feet are rock hard and she goes barefoot. She is very intelligent. Not at all hot, but with a nice engine. My mare is trotting bred, and easily canters. Under saddle, she tries very hard to figure out what is being asked of her. I've never owned a horse like that before. The only trouble I've had with her is getting her to stand while mounting/dismounting. I'm finding out this can be a common problem. I solved mine by offering a treat when she stands still at the mounting block, and another once she stands after I've mounted. Worked like a charm. She now refuses to move until she gets her cookie.

I plan on pleasure riding, with dressage lessons. As you can imagine, she has a beautiful extended trot. Down the road, I would also like to try fox hunting. With her great mind, I'm sure she will be just fine. The biggest complaint about STBs in my area is low resale value. Unfortunately in my area, this is true. However, my mare has a home with me for life. Honestly, if you can get your hands on an STB, do so. They have a heart full of try. You won't be disappointed.
      One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. - Virginia Woolf

Comment

STBs have long been on my secret horse wishlist, FG. And mrs. smith, thanks for your story! I think I would love one. When you said "hard feet" and "barefoot", I was there. :-)
        I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
        I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

• Original Poster

Lori FWIW, the ones I've known had superb feet. And they were not the most conformationally gifted horses either but seemed to stay sound even with heavy/hard riding.

Mrs. Smith your mare sounds lovely! Now we need pics!

Comment

The pictures I've taken of her are truly awful, but here's a video of when she was in training at NV. As soon as I saw her interacting with the little girl, I knew I wanted her.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EE1-W5TYT7Q

edited to add, she's only 3 in this video.
            One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. - Virginia Woolf

Comment

Where I board is less than a half hour from a STB track so we've had quite a few retired pacers and trotters come through over the years. From what I've seen of them they are pretty much everything everyone here is saying. Smart, calm, easy to handle and sturdy. Most of the ones I've seen have been pretty plain looking with great feet and awesome personalities. We usually get a boarder or two every year that brings in a STB fresh off the local track, people who bring their horse to the barn for the summer because we've got great trail access. I've watched them work with their OTTSTBs and trail ridden with them a lot and I can't recall a single one that didn't transition easily to saddle work. They seem to have pretty big motors but are quite gentle.

Over the last 15 years at that barn I've probably seen a couple dozen STBs come in off the track and I can't recall a single one that didn't turn out to be a nice, fun trail horse.

Comment

I've got a 20 yo OTSTB mare. She's on the huge side (wears an 84 Big Fella blanket), and has legs, and feet of steel. I'd just lost a TB with chronic hoof problems and was immediately drawn to her lovely, balanced, big, strong feet when I got her.

Mine is very, very easy to handle. She does have some quirks, but they aren't specific to her breed, but her background as an Amish buggy horse after her life at the track. She will canter with a perfectly fitted saddle and a balanced rider.

I'd get another .

Comment

Originally posted by mrs.smith View Post
                  The pictures I've taken of her are truly awful, but here's a video of when she was in training at NV. As soon as I saw her interacting with the little girl, I knew I wanted her.

That is a lovely horse, lucky you.

Comment

I have had one for 14 years, Flash.....yes they are very sturdy. Might be quite a few in need of homes around Rochester....

Comment

Originally posted by HPFarmette View Post
                      I have had one for 14 years, Flash.....yes they are very sturdy. Might be quite a few in need of homes around Rochester....
                      Yup. Sent you a PM.
                      If you are neutral in situations of injustice, you have chosen the side of the oppressor.
                      Desmond Tutu

Comment

Originally posted by FlashGordon View Post
                        Just wondered who out there might have one and what they were doing with theirs?

We used to get a bunch when I worked at a summer camp in college. They were typically sane, smart horses, quieter than their TB counterparts, and sounder too. Is this the norm?

Some never quite "got" cantering (we had a few that would pace but most that came through seemed to be trotters) and some others turned into fabulous jumpers and lesson horses.

I am NOT in the market, but I AM sad of battling lameness issues in my TB. I have had mostly TBs and TBXs, never thought about owning a standardbred.... but I have New Vocations in my FB newsfeed and just saw a promo about STBs. If they are seemingly sounder/sturdier than their TB friends maybe that is a direction for me to go, someday.
                        My fave breed
                        We have always had a good few in the carriage business at any given time - smart, sensible, amiable, love to work, purty Great wind even on very humid days, legs of steel, good feet.
                        I love spending the day with an STB.
                        VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

We breed, raise , race and rehome them!!

They are a whole different creature than the TB. The are Proactive, while most TBs are reactive. Besides the uncanny feet, they are sound even after racing most of the time. They are so easy to retrain, and are usually smaller than TBs, and very strong. We breed Trotters and have had several become low level eventers after racing....really careful, knee snapping jumpers. After a career in harness all of ours have been "tack up and go" .....they just seem to accept that their human is now ON them instead of BEHIND them. Wonderful wonderful horses!!!
                          "Over the Hill?? What Hill, Where?? I don't remember any hill!!!" Favorite Tee Shirt

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the info guys. Sounds like the ones I've known have been good examples of the breed. I'm an experienced adult but I'm finding as I get older and have more demands, time is limited, etc. I like projects but really want something sound and sane that is ready to go out and hack around, trail ride, and just dabble in a bit of everything. I have a penchant for projects, but I am done taking chances on TBs with histories of lameness.

Louise and HPF, I had no idea that was going on... interesting.

Comment

Originally posted by Claudius View Post
                              They are a whole different creature than the TB. The are Proactive, while most TBs are reactive. Besides the uncanny feet, they are sound even after racing most of the time. They are so easy to retrain, and are usually smaller than TBs, and very strong. We breed Trotters and have had several become low level eventers after racing....really careful, knee snapping jumpers. After a career in harness all of ours have been "tack up and go" .....they just seem to accept that their human is now ON them instead of BEHIND them. Wonderful wonderful horses!!!
                              Claudius, sent you a PM

Comment

• Original Poster

On my computer now so I could watch the vid.... Gosh she is *lovely*! I can see why you liked her!

Comment

Well, since that was my thread quoted, I'll give you an update

I did end up adopting my STB from New Vocations, from their Michigan facility. My mare is a trotter, small, with only 6 starts to her name.
                                  Happiest congratulations, I am so thrilled for you and for your mare!!!! Make sure to send your updates to Dot and Anna, as I'm sure the donor will love to receive the update (we LOVE to hear how our donated babies are doing). And please update COTH as well, when you think of it.

Comment

I love Monaco's video! What a sweetheart! I would have bought her right off the video. Dang.
                                    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
                                    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

For anyone in considering assisting the farm in Rochester, feel free to PM me regarding specific horses. I used to work as a stablehand and race groom for a few years and could provide some insight to some specific horses. I may end up grabbing one for the new place as a buddy for my OTTB.

Comment

Thank you all for the kind words about my mare. I just love her. Someday I would love to find her donor and thank them. You can tell that Monaco was treated with kindness and loved. I'll definitely keep in touch with Dot at NV about her. Dot was wonderful to work with. I gave her a very detailed description of what kind of horse I wanted, and she matched me with Monaco who is perfect.

And whoever said STBs are "proactive" rather than "reactive" hit the nail on the head. I had my trainer ride Monaco one day as she is still very green broke. My trainer worked on getting her to flex her neck (gently) touching her nose to the stirrup. Being a harness racer, flexing was so foreign to Monaco. She went round and round in circles but finally got it. You could almost see the light bulb go on in her head, lol. After my trainer dismounted, we were standing around talking when Monaco looked at my trainer, flexed her nose to the stirrup all by herself, then looked at my trainer again. it was almost like she was saying, "lookie! I figured it out and can do it all by myself!" We both burst out laughing.

So, yes, anyone considering the breed, please give them a try. And of course, I gotta give a shameless plug to New Vocations. The have great people working for them that evaluate and get the STBs started under saddle. I'm sure YMMV, but I've had no complaints.

Comment

Working...
                                        X