• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Should I register him or not? update post #47

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Burbank View Post
    i would register him, this is his life line, also AHA does use endurnace for points and going for nationals etc
    besides if you sell him and his owner does want to do AHA stuff this will only help him

registering a horse may not be important to "you" (a general you) but it can be very important to the horse and the breed, it will track his age, records of performance for any breed specific events, and his bloodline so if you love a horse you can look for another of similar breeding

personal pet peeve but I hate it when ppl go on and on about how papers don't matter, yes they do b/c if we insit on papers we can keep better track of breeding records and we can help keep fraud down re age and preformance
    My thoughts exactly!!!

Comment

I *think* I read recently that AHA is going to have an an amnesty program this year so that people can get horses registered that need to be registered. You might try contacting AHA and asking them or post on ABN and see if people in the know can give you more info. Seems to me that folks were mentioning April as amnesty month?

I would register him in any case. See the thread in Sport Horse Breeding about someone trying to trade a "Hanoverian" - nobody can prove anything and the horse isn't worth much as a result.

Comment

Yes, I would pay the stud fee and AHA fees to register him.

Comment

Do it.
          "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

Absolutely would. While I don't think the market for the average Arab is fantastic right now, not my forte so I could be wrong, an unpapered Arab, around me anyway, is almost certainly a giveaway in my area, and not easy to do that. Granted if he becomes very successful in endurance that is different but it is no guarantee.

Comment

I like the idea of going back to the stallion owner and negotiating an even lower rate. Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by magicteetango View Post
                Absolutely would. While I don't think the market for the average Arab is fantastic right now, not my forte so I could be wrong, an unpapered Arab, around me anyway, is almost certainly a giveaway in my area, and not easy to do that. Granted if he becomes very successful in endurance that is different but it is no guarantee.
                My BO has one of these he got in on trade, and while it's a nice horse, he's worth zilch without papers. He also knows who the breeder is, but the guy isn't inclined to make a deal. If the breeder is inclined to make a deal, I would, perhaps pay for the breeding now & then register later. At this age it can't get much more expensive.
                Visit my Spoonflower shop

Comment

Definitely get papers. Even when I'm not concerned with registration, I do like that it spells things out, and it shows that I am the owner. Plus, when I look to buy a horse, if the horse is unregistered, I take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt. I usually tack on a few years because typically I think if a horse has been with a few owners, they forget how old the horse is, and the next person then forgets how old the horse is, and before you know it, you lose 3 or 4 years, if not more. And as others have said, for resale, it really is important to a lot of people.
                  “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
                  ¯ Oscar Wilde

Comment

Arabians are almost worthless without papers, most people that like arabs want them. Bloodlines are very important to them, as is the ability to go to breed shows. You limit a huge portion of your potential buyers if you decide to sell, and even the endurance people like papers. Not only that but verifying the horse's age becomes impossible without papers
                    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

If your reason not to register is "because you will always keep him", think again.
                      You really can't provide for all.
                      What if you get killed?
                      Doesn't sound like, if you don't have money for registration, you will have him in your will with money allocated to care for him the rest of his life, as some may say.

If you possibly can, when a horse is registrable, do so.
                      At least insures what his age is when there is some question down the line.

You can't believe how many registered horses people have for years and insist they are a certain age and they are wrong by several years, each way.

Age will be more important when a horse is old, say 25, not 20.

I would say, there are more reasons to register any one horse you can register than there are to let it slip while you have the chance to do so.

No problem if you register him and never again need registration papers for anything.
                      Sad if something happens and then you wish you had the registration papers for him.

If you possibly can find the money, I would go ahead with the paperwork.

Ask the association, some times they have specials for such horses and bring the fees way down to register such older horses.
                      The AQHA just did that last year, you could register older horses with the right foal paperwork people didn't get around to register for very little.

Comment

Papers, and real Arab papers, not "American Warmblood", which adds no value. People who buy Arabians for decent money care about bloodlines and like proof the horse really is who and what you say he is.
                        Author Page
                        Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                        Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Originally posted by vtdobes View Post
                          What does the AHA say about registering the horse without the stud fee having been paid? You are an "innocent third party" after all....
                          You can't register as purebred without the stallion owner's paperwork.
                          You can not register him as 1/2 Arab if he is purebred...though people do, it is not supposed to happen...it defeats the idea of Half-Arab.

Sadly papers don't always get morre $$s for a horse...so it is a crap shoot. His training is what will add value for this horse IMO. A well trained horse is more likely to have, keep or go on to good homes.

Comment

I think a lot of it depends on the amount the stallion owner wants. Your boy is a gelding, so breeding isn't an option. So the benefit comes down to resale value, potential to show and other incentive programs. Are they programs you could benefit from? Would you really choose to show in that venue (etc) if you could?

It is true that often Arabs w/o papers are not worth much, but at the same time- how much do papers increase value? Sadly there are a good number of Registered Pain, QH, TB, and Arabs that end up going to slaughter every year, so a sheet of paper for an Arab isn't going to magically transform a horse out of slaughter danger...

Another thing to consider that I don't believe was mentioned... do the bloodlines themselves add value... is the sire well known??? bloodlines desirable, etc.???

A lot of things to consider. In addition... is the money there to spend or could it be better spent or saved?

I'm going through the same thing with one of my ponies... she's retired... well known, but at her age is it worth paying the money for the transfer for a horse which is past her breeding years and just living out her retirement. In some ways it would be cool to officially have my name on her papers... in another way... why spend the money?

Good luck with your decision... whatever you decide will the right decision for you. Maybe the amnesty period will be rolled out soon-- that should save a significant amount, I would think.
                            http://www.leakycreek.com/
                            http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
                            John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
                            Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Comment

Originally posted by M.K.Smith View Post
                              I think a lot of it depends on the amount the stallion owner wants. Your boy is a gelding, so breeding isn't an option. So the benefit comes down to resale value, potential to show and other incentive programs. Are they programs you could benefit from? Would you really choose to show in that venue (etc) if you could?

It is true that often Arabs w/o papers are not worth much, but at the same time- how much do papers increase value? Sadly there are a good number of Registered Pain, QH, TB, and Arabs that end up going to slaughter every year, so a sheet of paper for an Arab isn't going to magically transform a horse out of slaughter danger...

Another thing to consider that I don't believe was mentioned... do the bloodlines themselves add value... is the sire well known??? bloodlines desirable, etc.???

A lot of things to consider. In addition... is the money there to spend or could it be better spent or saved?

I'm going through the same thing with one of my ponies... she's retired... well known, but at her age is it worth paying the money for the transfer for a horse which is past her breeding years and just living out her retirement. In some ways it would be cool to officially have my name on her papers... in another way... why spend the money?

Good luck with your decision... whatever you decide will the right decision for you. Maybe the amnesty period will be rolled out soon-- that should save a significant amount, I would think.
                              If you ever were to lose your mare's papers, if you are the owner of record with the association, you can ask for a copy of the papers.
                              If you have not transferred ownership with the association, the horse then becomes grade.

I see keeping horses up with registered horses as a management question, is what you do, like keeping their feet attended to regularly, vaccinate them, deworming, teeth floating.
                              Registration papers and that they be in order is just one more that goes with having a purposely bred horse.

We may never care that the horse is registered or not, but if he is, why not attend to that also, since it is an integral part of that horse?
                              You never know what may happen and if that the horse is registered will ever matter, from knowing the breeding to what age a horse really is.

Comment

Originally posted by danceronice View Post
                                Papers, and real Arab papers, not "American Warmblood", which adds no value. People who buy Arabians for decent money care about bloodlines and like proof the horse really is who and what you say he is.

I only mentioned that because I thought he was a cross when I first read it. I thought she just wanted to document pedigree. This was the cheapest route if he was a cross and all you wanted were papers documenting who he was.
                                Draumr Hesta Farm
                                "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"
                                Member of the COTH Ignorant Disrepectful F-bombs!*- 2Dogs Farm

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                  Doesn't sound like, if you don't have money for registration, you will have him in your will with money allocated to care for him the rest of his life, as some may say.
                                  Whoa- insulting much? I currently have 5 horses including him- one of which is 19, the other 20. I've had them for 19 and 20 years respectively But I guess I should have gotten rid of them a while ago since I can't care for them.

It's amazing how much people just read what they want into a post. I'm not sure where everyone thinks I am going to sell him??? I purchased him for my own personal horse, my horses are lifers (and in the couple occasions that I have sold a horse that I've raised- I know exactly where they are), all of my horses have arrangements to be provided for if something tragic happened, and if a monetary disaster happened to my DH and I, I would not have any trouble selling a trail horse that I trained (and there are several people on this board that I know IRL that could vouch for that).
                                  "Can't shake the devil's hand and say you're only kidding"

Comment

Originally posted by tabula rashah View Post
                                    Whoa- insulting much? I currently have 5 horses including him- one of which is 19, the other 20. I've had them for 19 and 20 years respectively But I guess I should have gotten rid of them a while ago since I can't care for them.

It's amazing how much people just read what they want into a post. I'm not sure where everyone thinks I am going to sell him??? I purchased him for my own personal horse, my horses are lifers (and in the couple occasions that I have sold a horse that I've raised- I know exactly where they are), all of my horses have arrangements to be provided for if something tragic happened, and if a monetary disaster happened to my DH and I, I would not have any trouble selling a trail horse that I trained (and there are several people on this board that I know IRL that could vouch for that).
                                    No offense meant!
                                    I was saying that someone would bring the "I will see that, if something happens to me, he is taken care of in my will" and to that I was saying, if registration fees are a concern, then the much, much higher cost of providing for him is not to be expected.

Didn't meant you can or can't do it, which I don't know.
                                    You DID say the cost of registration was a concern, that is why I was even touching on that.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                      I was saying, if registration fees are a concern, then the much, much higher cost of providing for him is not to be expected.
                                      Why not? Perhaps the horse would be provided for via a life insurance payout. Or the money is in an account earmarked for that and consequently not available (even though it exists) for registration papers. Or any number of things that aren't anyone's business but the owner's.

It amazes me how people on this board can extrapolate people's current and future financial situation based on offhand comments and jump to conclusions about their ability to care for horses.
                                      Halt Near X | Horse Bloggers - Blog Directory

Comment

I would definitely register him.

Comment

I think there are plenty of people who breed unregistered mares to a registered stallion and register the offspring as a 1/2 arab. You only have word of mouth on an unregistered horse even if it looks all arab and even 1/2 arab papers increases the value and life of the horse.

I'm riding a 1/2 arab right now that is actually 7/8 arab and 1/8 saddlebred.
                                          http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Working...
                                          X