• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Absolutely Insane Story Today - WARNING long

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #81
    The Musical Jumper thread where it all the lies start to unravel is post 143.


    http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...Musical-Jumper
    Last edited by 5; Mar. 5, 2013, 01:13 PM. Reason: edit to add link.
    A pussycat of a horse with a chewed off tail won the triple crown, The Cubs won the world series and Trump won the Presidency.
    Don't tell me 'It can't be done.'

    Comment


    • #82
      Wow. I'm amazed at what some horses will tolerate!

      If someone tried to do that to my mare she'd lie down on them. I would have kicked that kid in the teeth.

      I was always taught that the horses mouth is sacred and reins should be handled like you are holding baby birds (love Swift). Whoever gave this little wench the idea that she knew what she was doing needs a swift kick too.
      http://www.foxhuntingfriesian.blogspot.com
      http://www.isherwoodstudios.blogspot.com

      Comment


      • #83
        Originally posted by Daatje View Post
        Wow. I'm amazed at what some horses will tolerate!

        If someone tried to do that to my mare she'd lie down on them. I would have kicked that kid in the teeth.

        I was always taught that the horses mouth is sacred and reins should be handled like you are holding baby birds (love Swift). Whoever gave this little wench the idea that she knew what she was doing needs a swift kick too.
        I bolded what I am responding to above.

        That is a very important concept, that I see ignored regularly by so many, in English and other disciplines and it makes me feel VERY SAD.

        To get the western drapey rein look, much training is yanking, not teaching with a soft hand what they want.
        To get and maintain contact, there is not a light touch, but hands resisting with pounds of force until the horse "gives" into contact.
        Not even bringing up "tie downs" and kick and yank riding or the NH overbending to death.

        I know, I know, we are getting better all the time, but I sure wish we hurried up so all may understand what a kind hand and soft feel really are.
        Now, in a huff, I will get off my soap box.

        Comment


        • #84
          Originally posted by ReSomething View Post
          Side reins and draw reins at the same time,
          That woman who does Dancing Horses or "whatever" appeared at the Horse Expo in Sacramento a couple of years ago, and she was riding one of her Friesians* (which could passage and piaffe but not go in a straight line or do a proper circle) in a double bridle, drawreins and a martingale. So side reins and drawreins - I absolutely believe it could happen.

          *She also had a "rare as the mythical unicorn" (so rare it doesn't exist) CHESTNUT Friesian (supposedly purebred). "Imported from Europe." Uh...more likely EXPORTED in the dark of night before the registry yanked the sire and dam's papers.....

          Comment


          • #85
            I believe the OP's story because, without empathy, people, regardless of age are capable of horrendous acts of ego, which is what that kid had going on. I also believe the OP because she described herself as acting with a lot of emotion and did not make herself out to be completely in control of it. Somebody making up a story would probably characterize themselves as sauntering over and saying something pithy that made the kid immediately see the light.

            Thank you, OP, for sticking your neck out so the horse could get rid of a pain in his.
            http://www.camstock.net/

            Comment


            • #86
              Curious to know if the "rider" has shown up at the barn again or has been told to never come again... how about the person who was leasing the horse? How did this girl get on the horse in the first place. Some heads should be rolling.
              Glad to know the horse will recover.
              Thanks OP

              Comment


              • #87
                I too could totally see this type of thing happening because, well, I've seen it happen. Had a Meredith Manor student board at our barn over the summer last year. I popped over the hill coming back from a trail ride and what do I see? Girl in the riding arena on her *massive* green-broke draft cross, draw reins with a curb bit and so many straps tying his head into place the poor gelding looked like a Rube Goldberg contraption. She was yanking HARD on his mouth and spurring the bejeebus out of him with I kid you not the biggest, nastiest set of spurs I've seen in my life. It was ugly to see.

                I got to the barn, hopped off my horse and was fixing to call the BO because it was a nasty display going on in that arena but before I could dial her number the horse blew. Bucked her off so hard she went airborne and then ran over her, turned that girl into a grease spot in the arena. Her mom scraped her up and took her to the hospital. She ended up having a broken collar bone, broken arm and fractured ankle.

                I'm sure it would have been a big old scene between her, her mom, BO and I if the horse hadn't handled the situation first. I wasn't going to watch that crap and BO doesn't let that kind of behavior fly on her her property.

                But yeah. Sadly I have no trouble believing someone of any age would be stupid enough to do that to a horse.

                Comment


                • #88
                  Having watch a teen aged boy yank his horse around in a 10m circle kicking and pulling, kicking and pulling, I can believe this. Fortunately the young man had never been introduced to gadgets. And unfortunately I was not in a position to influence the outcome.

                  Never forgot what a disgusting piece of slime he was!
                  Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

                  Remember the horse does all the work, we just sit there and look pretty.

                  Comment


                  • #89
                    I have learned not to believe everything I read on the net.

                    If something looks WAY over the top, sometimes it turns out to be just that.

                    Maybe this happened as the OP described and maybe it didn't happen that way .

                    ABSOLUTELY INSANE STORY?? For me that title coupled with the story makes me wonder about credibility.

                    There will always be people who will believe everything they read, especially if it fits with their own world view and they want to believe it. ;-)

                    Comment


                    • #90
                      Well I think it goes without saying we shouldn't believe everything we read on the net. If we did then State Farm wouldn't have all those awesome apps and a lot of us ladies would probably be dating French models (bonjour! )

                      Way over the top? I don't think this story is. Dramatized a bit? Maybe.

                      ABSOLUTELY INSANE STORY? Maybe to some people's standards and likely the OP's but surely not to everyone. Not insane by my standards, for it to warrant an insanity rating it would have to involve snatching the girl off the horse and giving her a beat-down or something along those lines. Seen that happen once too and lemme tell ya, it was insane! Although that incident was centered less on poor horsemanship and more on two tactless women realizing they were sharing one philandering boyfriend.

                      True or not, I dunno. Plausible scenario, sure.

                      Comment


                      • #91
                        Originally posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
                        Well I think it goes without saying we shouldn't believe everything we read on the net. If we did then State Farm wouldn't have all those awesome apps and a lot of us ladies would probably be dating French models (bonjour! )

                        Way over the top? I don't think this story is. Dramatized a bit? Maybe.

                        ABSOLUTELY INSANE STORY? Maybe to some people's standards and likely the OP's but surely not to everyone. Not insane by my standards, for it to warrant an insanity rating it would have to involve snatching the girl off the horse and giving her a beat-down or something along those lines. Seen that happen once too and lemme tell ya, it was insane! Although that incident was centered less on poor horsemanship and more on two tactless women realizing they were sharing one philandering boyfriend.

                        True or not, I dunno. Plausible scenario, sure.
                        I agree gaitedglory. Didn't find the story INSANE - actually its the type of stuff that happens way too often. Heck, I once shared a barn with a shady WP trainer - I can share some "insane" stories of her deplorable "training" techniques.


                        Umm, I want to her YOUR insane story!!
                        APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

                        Comment

                        • Original Poster

                          #92
                          Originally posted by Appsolute View Post
                          I agree gaitedglory. Didn't find the story INSANE - actually its the type of stuff that happens way too often. Heck, I once shared a barn with a shady WP trainer - I can share some "insane" stories of her deplorable "training" techniques.

                          Unfortunately it doesn't seem so "Insane" anymore, with posters chiming in about how they've seen it happen. I've never seen it before though, so it sure was insane to me!

                          The kind of crap going on really is heartbreaking.

                          Comment


                          • #93
                            Speaking of draw reins and side reins at the same time, today I got a look at a Polo magazine. Can't remember which one it was exactly and can't find the cover online.
                            On the front cover was a nice pic of a player kissing the front of his pony's head. On the pony's head was a big old gag, and if I'm not mistaken draw reins. I was squinting at it and having a hard time making sense of all the leather going this way and that, not to mention the cord in the gag.

                            I guess the guy wanted some serious brakes.
                            Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                            Incredible Invisible

                            Comment


                            • #94
                              ^^^ Actually that is pretty standard polo pony tack. Google "polo pony" and hit "images" - and check out the bridles.

                              Can't say I have seen many that do NOT go in draw reins - and usually a gag, sometimes a pehlam. Usually a tie down - to a rope noseband as well.

                              http://polopony.com/wp-content/uploa...o-cambiaso.jpg

                              http://eventbrite-s3.s3.amazonaws.co...22256/polo.jpg

                              http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs71/f/20...antomTigre.jpg

                              http://polopony.com/wp-content/uploa...3-1024x779.jpg
                              APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

                              Comment


                              • #95
                                Yep App. Found plenty after looking https://www.facebook.com/PoloPlayers...type=3&theater .
                                Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                                Incredible Invisible

                                Comment


                                • #96
                                  Originally posted by Sandy M View Post
                                  *She also had a "rare as the mythical unicorn" (so rare it doesn't exist) CHESTNUT Friesian (supposedly purebred). "Imported from Europe." Uh...more likely EXPORTED in the dark of night before the registry yanked the sire and dam's papers.....

                                  Chestnut (fox) Friesians do crop up now and again, purebred, but I don't think they are eligible for full registration. Completely undesirable in the breed standard I believe.

                                  Comment


                                  • #97
                                    Originally posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
                                    I too could totally see this type of thing happening because, well, I've seen it happen. Had a Meredith Manor student board at our barn over the summer last year. I popped over the hill coming back from a trail ride and what do I see? Girl in the riding arena on her *massive* green-broke draft cross, draw reins with a curb bit and so many straps tying his head into place the poor gelding looked like a Rube Goldberg contraption. She was yanking HARD on his mouth and spurring the bejeebus out of him with I kid you not the biggest, nastiest set of spurs I've seen in my life. It was ugly to see.

                                    I got to the barn, hopped off my horse and was fixing to call the BO because it was a nasty display going on in that arena but before I could dial her number the horse blew. Bucked her off so hard she went airborne and then ran over her, turned that girl into a grease spot in the arena. Her mom scraped her up and took her to the hospital. She ended up having a broken collar bone, broken arm and fractured ankle.

                                    I'm sure it would have been a big old scene between her, her mom, BO and I if the horse hadn't handled the situation first. I wasn't going to watch that crap and BO doesn't let that kind of behavior fly on her her property.

                                    But yeah. Sadly I have no trouble believing someone of any age would be stupid enough to do that to a horse.
                                    And Equine justice prevailed!!! Horray for the poor boy! Sadly many horses are so kind and do not have that spirit of self preservation.

                                    Comment


                                    • #98
                                      Originally posted by Loopy View Post
                                      Chestnut (fox) Friesians do crop up now and again, purebred, but I don't think they are eligible for full registration. Completely undesirable in the breed standard I believe.
                                      Yes, I know they occasionally crop out, but my understanding is the European breed registry will, indeed, pull the papers on sire and dam if it happens and they know about it. (It's the unicorn that doesn't exist! LOL!! T)

                                      Comment


                                      • #99
                                        Two passersby were going past my field one day when my big grey (white) mare cantered out of the trees and one of them shrieked 'OMG IT'S A UNICORN!!...oh no it's a horse..."her friend gave her the funniest look

                                        Sorry for going off topic OP

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by Loopy View Post
                                          Chestnut (fox) Friesians do crop up now and again, purebred, but I don't think they are eligible for full registration. Completely undesirable in the breed standard I believe.
                                          Now that's a real shame if they aren't eligible for full registration. I don't care for black Friesians, nor black and white Vanners (Cobs), but a chestnut Friesian would be very pretty! Ah well.
                                          Proofreading is your friend.

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X