• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Could someone please tell me what this is?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Could someone please tell me what this is?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmMa...JdB1xtiYUncFpL

It doesn't look like a hunter, it ain't dressage an it's not a (saddleseat)showhorse, so could someone please tell me what the heck it is?

He isn't a bad looking horse, just not sure what his purpose in life is.
    Visit my Spoonflower shop

Saddlebred, according to its website:
    http://allamericancup.org/
    Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

Comment

The horse certainly looks and moves like an ASB. Very lovely!
      Hillary Rodham Clinton - the peoples choice for president.

Comment

• Original Poster

No kidding.

Just not really sure what it is. It looks like a hot saddleseat horse that someone put a huntseat saddle on. I'm not a hunter guru, but it sure doesn't look like anything I've seen at a NoVa hunter show.

Comment

interesting show concept.....

Comment

It's a saddlebred ridden huntseat although it appears to have enough action to do one of the pleasure classes. Usually this class has older style saddlebreds, older horses period, or horses that have less knee action. It's the class you enter if you either don't want to or can't ride the hotter higher stepping horses or if you have a horse that isn't as flashy.

The arena set up is pretty normal for a saddlebred barn. This appears to be some sort of expo or demo ride but many saddlebred barns have long narrow arenas and many shows have long narrow warm ups where you go down to the end, stop, turn around, and go back.
            http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Uh, if you listen to the commentator, I think she's trying to sell the mare, and is mentioning that she doesn't have the high head carriage most people want.

And I think she's lovely, very natural and sane.
              COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Originally posted by red mares View Post
                No kidding.

Just not really sure what it is. It looks like a hot saddleseat horse that someone put a huntseat saddle on. I'm not a hunter guru, but it sure doesn't look like anything I've seen at a NoVa hunter show.
                They do this w Morgans now, too. I was embarrassed when I brought someone to watch the evening classes at a Morgan show & all of these ppl (who were riding saddle seat in hunt seat garb) came in on SS pleasure (and some park) horses for the hunt seat class. It would have been comical if it was not so pathetic. Not one horse even did a flat walk, which should not be acceptable in ANY class. No one used to ever be in the HS classes, now they are full to bursting. The park stake, which used to be the big event of the eve, had two horses in it.

First ppl would try to win by showing what should be park horses in pleasure. & judges rewarded this by pinning them. Then they showed in Country pleasure or whatever it was called, until now they are finally in hunter class. It makes no sense. Not sure where a longer/flatter strided horse with more true hunter movement supposed to go. Really it is judges' fault for rewarding this idiocy.

Comment

That is an adorable ASB hunter pleasure horse.

Comment

A saddlebred hunter should look like a saddlebred (and not a TB or QH) there has to be something inheirently saddlebred-y about it.

The horse in that video is a very nice example of a horse for that discipline. It is called Hunter Country Pleasure, horses must be flat shod with no pads. The horses are to have some knee action but must have motion that extends as well (no piston-like or "sewing machine" motion).

As for the Morgans, there are two types of Morgans that show. You have your hunter pleasure horses and your hunter sport horses.

The Morgan pleasure horse can have weights and pads and knee action (provided it extends) but the sport horse must be shod for sport and they are not required to have action at the trot.
                    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
                    Bernard M. Baruch

Comment

I'm a fringe-oid in the ASB world and what I see here is an attempt to get the idea in people's heads that there could be a market developed for the "junk" saddlebred. Pony is "junk", my trainer hasn't said so in so many words but I can feel her little fingers itching because he won't put his head up and as far as I'm concerned I don't care if he puts his head up. We can't get his half bred papers without enormous headaches so his show career is non-existent.

He has a job as a fun little racking trail horse and I personally would love it if he got brave enough to start jumping small stuff.

That beng said I don't have a lot of patience for the breed interpretations of "Hunter". HUS drives me absolutely batty, and ASB is still a little too upright plus they really should be using a snaffle. Still doesn't drive me as batty as HUS though. Random sample of why I go nuts: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W1NT7lqibls
                      Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                      Incredible Invisible

Comment

Originally posted by ReSomething View Post
                        That beng said I don't have a lot of patience for the breed interpretations of "Hunter". HUS drives me absolutely batty, and ASB is still a little too upright plus they really should be using a snaffle.
                        They are too upright for what? Why should they be using a snaffle? Wjat should an ASB hunter look like?

Back in the day, a horse wasn't considered "finished" unless he could go in a weymouth and a rider wasn't considered "educated" unless they could handle two sets of reins, think back to all of those old hunting prints of top hatted riders jumping in full bridles. Why is a hunter supposed to go in a snaffle now?

Here is my ASB HUS
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bpRT...sRN3nKeH3uH5tg

He can trot level this was just kind of early in his show career. This is a photo from one of his last shows.
                        https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=1&theater
                        Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
                        Bernard M. Baruch

Comment

There you go A. Breed interpretation.

But, you are right about the evolution of H/J, or de-volution over time. Hunters as in H/J, no breed specified, used to be seen in a double bridle, used to do outside courses and used to not use a specified number of strides per line.

I can't tell you why a hunter is supposed to go in a snaffle now, but I think it has to do with the trend to the appearance of quiet. Metronome canter, light contact (but please dog no throwing the reins away), snaffle because they don't "need" a curb. Right now the fashion is D ring snaffles and raised or padded cavessons and browbands. Brown tack, not too light and heaven forbid not black. Soon enough it'll change.
                          Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                          Incredible Invisible

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Hippolyta View Post
                            They do this w Morgans now, too. I was embarrassed when I brought someone to watch the evening classes at a Morgan show & all of these ppl (who were riding saddle seat in hunt seat garb) came in on SS pleasure (and some park) horses for the hunt seat class. It would have been comical if it was not so pathetic. Not one horse even did a flat walk, which should not be acceptable in ANY class. No one used to ever be in the HS classes, now they are full to bursting. The park stake, which used to be the big event of the eve, had two horses in it.

First ppl would try to win by showing what should be park horses in pleasure. & judges rewarded this by pinning them. Then they showed in Country pleasure or whatever it was called, until now they are finally in hunter class. It makes no sense. Not sure where a longer/flatter strided horse with more true hunter movement supposed to go. Really it is judges' fault for rewarding this idiocy.
                            This.

Breed class my posterior. Even let down a little that horse looks no more hunter than my cat.

Comment

Originally posted by red mares View Post
                              This.

Breed class my posterior. Even let down a little that horse looks no more hunter than my cat.
                              YOUR idea of what hunter should look like. Hunter pleasure can have a lot of looks, you would be surprised at what can go over jumps, horses built for saddle seat can be very suprisingly atheletic over fences. They have the ability to fold up their legs nicely over fences.
                              Bernard M. Baruch

Comment

Originally posted by Amwrider View Post
                                YOUR idea of what hunter should look like. Hunter pleasure can have a lot of looks, you would be surprised at what can go over jumps, horses built for saddle seat can be very suprisingly atheletic over fences. They have the ability to fold up their legs nicely over fences.

Yep.

I was shocked when I entered the Arab hunter world awhile back for a bit. It was very different from the hunters that I had grown to know. Then I had thought about it, and had it explained to me; Arabs aren't built like a TB, or a WB, so they aren't exactly going to travel or carry themselves like one. In the Arab world they prefer more contact, and nice bow to their neck (as is their natural conformation). Of course I'm referring to an Arab being specifically shown on the Arab circuit. If one were to go to a general Hunter show it may be different/different expectations and preferences. All in all my point is that different breeds are built and travel differently which leads to a different hunter, but still a hunter nonetheless.

Comment

Eh, I'm not a fan of that look, ie SS country pleasure horse in hunt tack. That mare's motion is too trappy, imo, for hunt. I'd love to see more plain snaffles, of course a double bridle is appropriate, but not when the shanks on the curb are SS length!

A couple of years ago one of the ASB people took out an ad of their winning hunter in one of the breed magazines. The caption under the horse's picture said something like "The epitome of the ASB hunter" The problem? They chose a jump picture (small jump) with a leg hanging- not just uneven knees, I mean hanging badly! I was embarrassed for the breed.

Comment

Originally posted by Amwrider View Post
                                    Hey Andrea, need another hunter? For you he'd be free. Related to above horse, just 4, started in lines, great mind!

Comment

Originally posted by Hippolyta View Post

Have to agree. The last Morgan show I watched was in Dallas over 10 years ago. Was hoping things had changed. In the hunter under saddle class several horses wouldn't walk, so when the walk was called they just halted Same with Arabians and I just went to Nationals last Oct. Just looked like Park/English Pleasure horses that didn't quite make that cut, but still too much action for anything resembling a hunter. Of course they're not WBs or TBS, but there are still very nice "flat" moving Arabs and Morgans that the Hunter classes shouldn't have to be just for the Park horse rejects. I'm not as familiar with ASBs, but I would certainly expect them to have more action because that's what they were bred for.
                                      "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

Comment

You see it in every breed show from QH to Arab.

Many breeds have separate main ring and sport horse classes. They do not cross enter as the expected way of going is drastically different.

In the Arab world the sport horse types often compete in the open world of dressage, jumping, eventing, etc... I have one of those. She would not do well in the main ring Arabian classes.
                                        Last edited by HeartsongHorses; Mar. 2, 2013, 12:28 PM. Reason: fixed a sentence

Comment

Working...
                                        X