• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Horse Slaughter Ban Lifted by Oklahoma Senate -- Needs Gov Signature -- YOU can help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For anyone who wants to become a voice..

This is one petition I have found that proposes release of BLM wild mustangs and issues on energy for anyone wanting to help voice their opinions.

https://petitions.whitehouse.gov/pet...-dept/Hq8rlt9w

Comment

• Originally posted by clanter View Post
      you can donate a horse to large cat sanctuary

http://www.bigcat.org/index.php
      That is a great suggestion and since there is no drug to kill the horse i.e. euthanization, the horse can have another purpose.

It would be great if there were a lot of cat sanctuaries..for many, getting the horse to their facility is too expensive.

The closest sanctuary to me is 5 1/2 hours north and that is for a species of fox .

I was told, however have not verified that they too have misses with their bullets...about 5% of the time it takes a second shot. I do not know if this is true or not.
      The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Originally posted by jetsmom View Post
        Slaughter does not solve neglect/starvation issues. There are still over 100,000 US horses going to slaughter. KB only buy the number of horses that there is a demand for. They are not buying skinny, old lame horses. The mentality of those that starve horses is warped. Again...the largest horse neglect case in TX happened when Dallas Crowne and Beltex was open and the ranch was within 20 min of them. It was owned by a VET. KB's also have dumped over 5000 horses in the desert to starve after they were rejected at the border. They have caused more abuse/neglect than those that legitimately cannot afford food/euth.

Having an export fee on horses and requiring breeder license fees, where the money would be divided among State Vet offices to be used for hay banks, gelding clinics, euth clinics would give those that need help, the resources to get it.

Most of the people starving horses mentally, don't believe they are neglecting horses. Look at the TB breeder that used to be on here, that starved a bunch of mares, or coloredcowhorse who neglected her horses (twice), and others who have multiple convictions. Slaughter has nothing to do with it. There was an auction pretty close to coloredcowhorses, and she never ran them thru there. Bullets are cheap, as is composting. Yet those people would never do that.

The mentality of those that abuse horses is warped.
        So is that of those that want to kill and waste horses like old trash.
        Killing them is ok, as long as they will not be used one more time thru slaughter?
        That I think is also warped.

Comment

• Originally posted by andylover View Post
          This is one petition I have found that proposes release of BLM wild mustangs and issues on energy for anyone wanting to help voice their opinions.

hmm

let me revisit this...the reason why these horses are being pulled off the range.....

Oh, right.
          There are too many. There are native species depending on the same areas for survival.

Oh, horses are hard on the range. They are hard on the fields that are not delicate, but they are really destructive on the fragile eco system out west.
          Which is arid to begin with and under drought conditions for some time now.

So, returning the horses to the range will irreparably damage the habitat, to the detriment of all living creatures, ensure the animals to die a slow death of starvation....

And I am sure this year we will ad a few hundred head more to the problem....
          Originally posted by BigMama1
          Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
          GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

• Originally posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
            I just cracked open a bottle of wine, and it's only 9 AM here...
            Is there a problem with that?

There is no such thing as a clock when there is the following equation:

COTH + drama + alcohol

If you do boxed wine you can sip ANY time. Talk about a box of enabling, that sure is one enabled box!

Comment

• I did an article about what's actually IN pet foods such as Ol'Roys and others. It it gross. Food Pets Die For is a really good read.

Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
              Interesting. Thanks Angela. If it's not safe for humans, then I have to assume it's probably not a good thing in pet food either.

Of course, I suspect the people who buy food like Ol' Roy's don't really care what's in it. Note: If I offended anyone, I'm sorry but it's terrible food.
              The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
              H. Cate

Comment

• Originally Posted by LauraKY : Interesting. Thanks Angela. If it's not safe for humans, then I have to assume it's probably not a good thing in pet food either.
                then why do we insist on giving Bute to horses?
                GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

I didn't read that, let me ask just one question, is that a petition to release BLM horses in the White House lawn?

That would be a wonderful place to do so, see how fat and sassy they would get on all that green grass.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                    What amazes me about the non slaughter group is their lack of alternatives
                    On just about every thread about slaughter in this forum suggestions for alternatives have been put out there. Perhaps you have forgotten this?

What amazes me about the pro-slaughter group is their lack of willingness to admit there are alternatives.
                    Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
                    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
                    http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by jenm View Post
                      On just about every thread about slaughter in this forum suggestions for alternatives have been put out there. Perhaps you have forgotten this?

What amazes me about the pro-slaughter group is their lack of willingness to admit there are alternatives.
                      Except those are absurd, like having animal control euthanize unwanted horses and send them to the landfill, like we do dogs and cats now.

First world, the luxury of abundance, wasteful, that is what those ideas are.

The equivalent of a four year old kid, on hearing cars are polluters, suggesting we all just ride bicycles, not cars, problem solved.

Comment

• I dont think with the re-introduction of slaughter thats its going to slow down or stop the "nutter" from collecting horses and then starving them. The government is somewhat restricted in going in and confiscating the starving horses. In the event someone is hoarding and starving horses, I find it doubtful the government is going to step in, rescue the starving horses and then sell them at auction for slaughter. Those rescue horses are going most likely to local rescues and humane societies. I think its important to remember slaughter has always been a viable option to all those hoarding and starving their horses. Just because slaughter becomes legal in the U.S. is not going to stop the abuse of people starving their horses.
                        The media has a big hand in this as well. The media is stating its only the old and infirmed that go down the pipeline: no mention of the weanlings, the pregnant mare about ready to give birth etc. that go. Slaughter of horses is a multi-million dollar industry and so many want a piece of the pie. Its our heart strings for both sides of the fence that are being tugged at when it comes to this hot button topic.
                        Last edited by andylover; Mar. 2, 2013, 03:49 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                          Except those are absurd, like having animal control euthanize unwanted horses and send them to the landfill, like we do dogs and cats now.

I guess they could handle it like we do with the other 90% of horse's remains after they die.
                          Or they could shoot and kill and eat the horse themself. But they won't do that, because those using the slaughter system either want to just send the horse off and they can pretend it got a good home, so they can bury their head in the sand, or they just want to profit off the horse.

People can use the horse and not waste it if that was really a concern...(which to most of those usung slaughter, isn't). They can compost it, eat it themself, feed it to their dogs, donate to big cat sanctuary, donate to vet school. Noone HAS to send to slaughter for one last use. And the options I listed are far more humane.

Comment

• I'd rather the bullet.............

Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                            My response was to her "let them go out and eat the grass on the thousands of acres". You are correct. Most ranchers use the bullet.

In our case, we keep all of them and they are euthanized when they fail. We are lucky as the ranch has been in the same hands with our family since 1876 even though it has been reduced in size. Between 1910 and 1960 the ranch had 30 + full time cattlehands and around 300 horses...we bred our own..
                            The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                            H. Cate

Comment

• the point of slaughter is that a horse in good flesh has value, even if you can't ride it, lead it or even look at it without getting tears in your eyes.

That means it establishes a bottom line price for the low end critter.

That keeps people who can't afford the first bale of hay from buying the horse/foal because they have that much change in their pockets (have we already forgotten the 25-75 dollar auction prices?!)

It makes then more sense to let the animl go while it is still in good weight, vs trying to ride it out and letting everything go to heck in a hand basket.

No, it will never put a dent in the (ever growing) attitude of 'nobody can care fr my horse better than me'
                              Or whatever makes people think it's ok to have skinny animals while they are sitting down for supper with overflowing plates.
                              GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

I dont think with the re-introduction of slaughter thats its going to slow down or stop the "nutter" from collecting horses and then starving them. The government is somewhat restricted in going in and confiscating the starving horses. In the event someone is hoarding and starving horses, I find it doubtful the government is going to step in, rescue the starving horses and then sell them at auction for slaughter. Those rescue horses are going most likely to local rescues and humane societies. I think its important to remember slaughter has always been a viable option to all those hoarding and starving their horses. Just because slaughter becomes legal in the U.S. is not going to stop the abuse of people starving their horses.
                                The media has a big hand in this as well. The media is stating its only the old and infirmed that go down the pipeline: no mention of the weanlings, the pregnant mare about ready to give birth etc. that go. Slaughter of horses is a multi-million dollar industry and so many want a piece of the pie. Its our heart strings for both sides of the fence that are being tugged at when it comes to this hot button topic.
                                There are many more crazy hoarders fueled by the rescue mentality, thanks to all those that, following animal rights extremist bandwagons, got on the "ban slaughter" agenda, one of the most lucrative ones for all those asking for donations.
                                Many hoarders now are doubly sure they are doing good, see, those horses starving in their pastures at least are not being slaughtered.

Slaughter is inherently not good or bad, is just one process by which we use one more of our renewable, natural resources some horses are.

To demonize slaughter, those groups use abuses as if that was the norm.
                                Anyone that is familiar with slaughter can tell you it is not, just as not all priests and teachers molest kids, not all policemen beat suspects.

Once people understand that, they get over thinking slaughter = abuse, I heard "them" say so, lets ban it.
                                Start thinking past that to, slaughter is a process we have use for millennia and we, like with everything else, are improving on it to make it the best we can.

As I already said, the difference here is, do you want to follow animal rights extremist thinking, "lets eliminate what we do with animals", period, to animal welfare concerns, "lets do what we do with our animals, whatever that may be, in the best way we know how".

Comment

• Originally posted by jetsmom View Post
                                  I guess they could handle it like we do with the other 90% of horse's remains after they die.
                                  Or they could shoot and kill and eat the horse themself. But they won't do that, because those using the slaughter system either want to just send the horse off and they can pretend it got a good home, so they can bury their head in the sand, or they just want to profit off the horse.

People can use the horse and not waste it if that was really a concern...(which to most of those usung slaughter, isn't). They can compost it, eat it themself, feed it to their dogs, donate to big cat sanctuary, donate to vet school. Noone HAS to send to slaughter for one last use. And the options I listed are far more humane.
                                  Why would you think it is your place to tell others what to do with their horses?
                                  If someone feels that using THEIR horse thru slaughter is what they want to do, it really is no business of anyone but the horse owner.

Would you like it if, now that people are learning it is not ok to just bury a carcass willy nilly, not very good for the environment, water, etc., now we ask there be laws to make EVERYONE send their unwanted/needing euthanizing horse to slaughter.

Exactly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                                    then why do we insist on giving Bute to horses?
                                    We insist in giving our horses bute because we care for them and bute is a pain relieving agent.. Plus we arent planning on having our horses on the dinner table.

Comment

We insist in giving our horses bute because we care for them and bute is a pain relieving agent.. Plus we arent planning on having our horses on the dinner table.
                                      It is bad for people, why do we give it to horses?
                                      GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluey View Post

First world, the luxury of abundance, wasteful, that is what those ideas are.

The equivalent of a four year old kid, on hearing cars are polluters, suggesting we all just ride bicycles, not cars, problem solved.
                                        Gee, a close minded response from someone who supports slaughter. What a surprise!

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                        If someone feels that using THEIR horse thru slaughter is what they want to do, it really is no business of anyone but the horse owner.
                                        It's not illegal now for an owner to slaughter and eat their own horse. Call someone up, have them shoot the horse, and butcher it and one has a freezer full of meat. Problem solved.
                                        Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
                                        http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
                                        http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

• Originally posted by jenm View Post
                                          Gee, a close minded response from someone who supports slaughter. What a surprise!

It's not illegal now for an owner to slaughter and eat their own horse. Call someone up, have them shoot the horse, and butcher it and one has a freezer full of meat. Problem solved.
                                          Yes, but you are following animal rights extremist groups, working to make horse meat illegal.

Remember, your rights really end at the feet of the rights of others, within already existing basic laws.

You may take other's rights away at the risk of yours also being trampled then.
                                          Animal rights extremists don't take prisoners.
                                          You follow them at the risk of your own rights being in their sights later.
                                          Surely that should not have to be explained time and again?

Comment

Working...
                                          X