• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How bad is it not to train your horses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How bad is it not to train your horses?

Provided the horses are kept in a herd in fairly large and varied paddocks/pastures (24/7 in the summer, stabled for 8-10 hours in winter), and not overfed, how bad is it not to ride or otherwise train them regularly?

Would like to hear your personal views on this. What is negative about it? Do you think it lessens the horse's longevity?

The "bad" thing in a situation like that is more about the quality of the horse's life if their living situation changes. For instance: 10 yr. old untrained pasture puff's owner passes away, goes bankrupt or moves. Now you have a horse with NO "job skills" and very few options for a good home.

Comment

Do you just have them as pets? Or just don't want to ride in the winter? I can sympathize with the last one. Here in the Midwest it is brutal. But just to keep a herd as pets seems kind of eccentric. As far as their longevity and happiness, I bet they all think they are in horsey heaven. Sounds like a nice setup, as long as you can afford it and don't mind all the work that goes along with it.
      Lilykoi

Hell hath no fury like the chestnut thoroughbred mare

Comment

Honestly, as long as the horses are able to be handled for routine vet/farrier and any emergency care necessary- the horses won't care.

The issue is that most people aren't independently wealthy. If you lost your job and couldn't care for them anymore, they don't have any skills to make them placeable much less sellable.

Comment

If they're well broke to ride and you just prefer not to ride, then the horses probably don't care if they're not ridden regularly (or at all).

If they're never trained in the first place or are very green and then never worked with again - I think that's a problem. It isn't a problem while they're owned - because the horses probably don't care. It is a problem if something ever happens to their owner, because finding a home for an aged, untrained horse is nearly impossible.
          Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Comment

Originally posted by arlosmine View Post
            The "bad" thing in a situation like that is more about the quality of the horse's life if their living situation changes. For instance: 10 yr. old untrained pasture puff's owner passes away, goes bankrupt or moves. Now you have a horse with NO "job skills" and very few options for a good home.
            Exactly this. The situation you describe is actually quite healthy for horses and won't negatively impact their lives at all. The problem only arises if you ever can't pay for the horses anymore or don't want to. Then they are just a herd of unbroke adult horses that will have little value to anyone else.

IMO, one of the best things you can give a horse is job skills. A horse that can do a job and do it well has a better chance of finding and staying in a good situation if you can't care for it for the rest of its life.

Comment

Agree with the above. I think it is our duty to teach our horses "usable" skills. Much better chance for them to have a crack at a "better" life if the original owner gets unexpectedly hit by a bus. The 12 year old pasture puff that you can barely halter will have a much harder time finding a new home.
              Likewise, everyday skills such as being tied, picking up their feet, getting in a trailer might well save their lives in case of a vet emergency where they have to be handled and doctored or a wildfire or flood when they need to get evacuated.
              (If you are talking about a well trained horse getting a few months off, that 's entirely different. Good training will stick.)
              "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Comment

It is a horse by horse thing.

Some horses can go years and not forget a thing they learned, other horses have the memory of a goldfish.

If I saw an ad for a 1 owner 8 year old halter broke but un-backed horse and the owners excuse for the lack of training was "I never got around to it." It wouldn't put me off but I would use it as a bargaining point.
                A pussycat of a horse with a chewed off tail won the triple crown, The Cubs won the world series and Trump won the Presidency.
                Don't tell me 'It can't be done.'

Comment

Training is life insurance for horses. If horse owner is hit by a bus tomorrow, his or her feral pets are going to end up in a can, unless she is enormously wealthy and has a well-funded and legally sound pet trust set up to keep them in their feral fat & happy state for the rest of their lives.

Since most of us are not wealthy (cuz we have horses, ha), see my first point. And those untrained horses sure as hell better not be reproducing freely, because more unsellable horses doesn't make the situation better.
                  I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
                  I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

Totally agree with LoriB's statement that training is life insurance for horses. I have three that live mostly a horsey-heaven sort of life. However, between myself, the granddaughter and a professional (though affordable) trainer, we keep their job skills up, and even improve them, during good riding weather. Eli could probably earn his way as a schoolmaster for a few more years if necessary, Cooper has enough dressage training on him now to be a fun ride for a dabbler, and Rocky can probably always find a home as a bomb-proof kid or husband ride. My plan is for them to never leave the farm, but I think about how they might fare should I somehow fall on hard times and be forced to re-home them. It would break my heart, and theirs ... but I think they all have a good chance of landing on their feet.

Comment

That'd be some pretty contented horses, heck I'd even sign up to hang around if they added a pool, some pina coladas and a good book.

But pretty much everybody has pointed out there is a downside and when it occurs. Whenever the circumstances change a well kept horse with some skills has a larger potential pool of new owners. Not too many people shop for pasture pets and a lot of people can't look beyond witches' knots and dirt unless the horse has some spectacular skills that can be easily accessed.
                      Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                      Incredible Invisible

Comment

I agree with everybody else... however, I'm sure that there are a lot of older horses out there that would love to live out their time in a nice pasture. Consider a few of those...maybe some that are considered unadoptable because of soundness issues.

To be a bit callous, if you did go bankrupt or have to downsize, you would feel much less guilty putting an older horse down than a 9, 10, 11, etc. y/o. IMO every horse needs to know how it feels to be just a horse, and what better gift to give an oldster than that?

Comment

It depends on the horse also.
                          Some horses thrive as pasture ornaments, others become way too nervous from all that energy not going anywhere.

We have had both and generally, the younger a horse is, the more of an outlet it needs for it's energy.
                          I did have a 20 year old that I had to sell when I started having health issues and he just would not settle without being in steady work, but fretted, picked on other horses, just wanted to do more in life than graze and nap and nap and graze.
                          He is owned now, for the past two years, by a girl that gives him rides regularly and shares her water bottle and coke with, both happy as larks, looking at their FB stories and pictures.
                          He has not been the first one over the years, but most other horses have been fine without steady work.

There was a Craiglist ad here lately with a pasture full of horses for sale, most untouched, very nice adult horses, that the owner just never got around to "domesticating".
                          I think they probably many went on a one way trip to Mexico.

If the OP is asking because some of her horses are going to be idle for a while now, it depends on the temperament of those horses if they will be happy without work, managed right for exercise, not warehoused in some small pen, unless they are the more nervous type.
                          If they are the kind of horse that "needs to have a job", then see about providing it.

Comment

Riding a horse is optional. Training is not.

G.
                            Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

I think most people have already said what I am thinking. Horses should have training for some sort of useful job as long as they are physically capable of that. If your situation changes and they need to find new homes, this gives them a far greater chance.

If you are acquiring horses for the sole purpose of keeping them as pets, consider taking in or adopting horses that are not physically suitable for work. There are so many of these horses out there and not nearly enough companion-only homes.
                              Flickr

Comment

I think what the other posters are trying to say is this: If your horses are trained to do something that someone interested in buying a horse would want - i.e., they are trained to be ridden on trails, trained to jump, trained to drive, trained so that they would serve a useful purpose, then in case you became ill or God forbid died, they would have an easier time finding another home. Whereas if they are not trained to do anything other than be haltered, led around, pick up their feet, and tolerate grooming, if anything would happen to you your horses would not be very marketable, and would be at risk of being sent to the auction and bought for meat.
                                What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

Yes, we were!
                                  What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

Originally posted by HHH
                                    Wow, so many replies already - thank you all! You said it very well - training is life insurance for horses. For me personally, that is not the problem. All the horses have excellent manners and are (fairly) well educated (schooling training-second level depending on age, lots of trail experience, some jumping). In any way, I have a clause in my will, stating that they will be put down when I die (and have made detailed arrangements with several people to insure my will be respected).

It is more, like someone here suggested, the troubles of letting them go more idle than what I consider ideal. I struggle with bad conscience. Some of it because of the physical aspects, but most of it because I know training makes them even happier.

What do you consider possible physical idleness issues, and are they really worth worrying about? For example, stiffness and one-sideness that increases, older horses that may irreversibly "drop" their topline...
                                    Possible issues are one bored horse tends to pick on others, to the point of making their lives less peaceful and even maybe hurting them.
                                    That is an issue we didn't have with our 20 year old while he was being ridden regularly, but started after four months of him being a pasture ornament with nothing much to do all day.

Many horses are fine just being horses, some are more ambitious and really need the mental stimulation they are used to as working horses and won't easily learn to chill out, day after day, month after month and that really is not a good quality of life for them then.

Comment

Just a point of view from another angle:

Horses will live healthier and longer if its more muscled or kept fit.

A older horse that has no muscle tone will have more trouble laying down and getting back up on its feet.

Someone I know had her older mare in retirement. 20yrs old pasture puff. She lacked of muscles in the back and got stuck on the ground from lying down to sleep. The vet suggested to the owner to lunge her at least twice a week for 20min each time w/t/c. It built up some more muscles in her back and she lived happily up to 30 yrs old.

Someone at my barn is (IMO) kinda neglecting her horse. He's a big boy but never really been 'exercised' much and totally lacks of muscles. He's 8 now and I can't stop thinking how hard it would be to bring him back to a 'rideable' -'normal' condition. He has a huge hay belly but no top line at all. He's 17.2...
                                      I don't see how this is healthy and wonder how long he will live in such a state.
                                      He goes out a lot a get brushed and fed properly but IMHO that is not enough to be healthy.
                                      ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                                      I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                                      HORSING mobile training app

Comment

I feel the same way that you do OP. I have an older but sound, sane, and well trained gelding. Because of my work situation at this time, I'm lucky if I get to ride twice a month. The horse is on pasture and is well taken care of. I just feel guilty that I'm not able to give him the attention that I feel he deserves.
                                        Fils Du Reverdy (Revy)- 1993 Selle Francais Gelding
                                        My equine soulmate
                                        Mischief Managed (Tully)- JC Priceless Jewel 2002 TB Gelding

Comment

Working...
                                        X