• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

A cribber for a 1st horse - would this be a huge no-no for you?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A cribber for a 1st horse - would this be a huge no-no for you?

Helping a friend find and buy a horse for her 12 year old daughter. Daughter doesn't need a superstar, but wants a horse that she can really enjoy and do a bit of everything. That makes it a pretty wide field and there are a lot of horses out there that will likely fit most of her criteria, but obviously most of them are unknown. She really does enjoy jumping.

I sold a fabulous horse about 6 years ago. TB mare, lovely, good height etc. The kid that bought her has done a wonderful job with her and has really cleaned up in jumping. Very desirable horse now - probably way more than when I had her. Kid has moved to college and is looking to sell the horse on, at a very reasonable price.

I'm torn. From a rideability point of view this horse would probably be perfect for the kid. From an age point of view she's slightly older now than I think is ideal, as she's 16. I know not a bad age, but for a 12 year old kid I was thinking more 10 year old horse as suitable. The big dilemma for me is that she's a cribber. When I had her she cribbed on everything, even though she was out 24 x 7 - fence posts, anything. She does still crib although is ridden much more and she does wear a strap.

I'm torn. She's a nice, safe horse that is a great jumper. She's been ridden on the beach, been to scarey shows, been hauled. I know it's a bit hypocritical given that I had here as a cribber, but I just can't decide, despite her abilities, if I should leave it be, given her age and cribbing, and given that there are probably loads of horses out there, with slightly lower ability that are still generally good all round horses.

Thoughts?

Kate: I think? this is one of those unique situations of exactly your position: You've accomodated a cribber. You've dealt with that habit, found the horse desireable to retain, keep, maintain and work around it. For me? having never owned a cribber? its easy for ME to say: no way, never, I'll buy one that DOESN't crib. I don't dispute that some are the most amazing horses. I just know 'starting from scratch' and purchasing a new horse, its one thing, off the top, that I can rule out and therefore off my list of prospects. I guess it would be the same for many as in : weavers, kickers, need hay soaked, girthy, need different shoeing, etc, etc....stuff that isn't life threatening, but can be difficult to deal with. Sounds like you should feel comfortable suggesting the mare but being up front and direct about her habits and any faults. I don't think it will impact the young girl.....but it would the barn owner in most cases. (and therefore the resale concerns down the line) ....best of luck!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Comment

There's a horrible cribber at my barn. Drives me nuts. BUT he's a saint for his little girl. It's worth putting up with because he's so perfect otherwise.

Personally, I have no tolerance for a cribber. But if you can put up with it and the owner can put up with it, why not?
      Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
      Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
      VW sucks.

Comment

• Original Poster

The horse will be staying at their place. I'm helping them work out the fencing, shed etc. They rely on me heavily to advise them on what's good and not so good about the prospects that we are looking at. I've been open on this mare - she's fabulous - but, should they ever want to move into a barn, some barns won't take a cribber. I've spoken to them about the theory of increased colics, the sometime feeling that it is a copied behaviour (although personally I don't subscribe to that theory) and about the potential resale implications. Of course right now they think that whatever horse they buy will be with them forever, which it may.... or may not. It drove me totally nuts when I had her. I would hate watching her out in the pasture pulling on posts.

Both good opinions though - Ayrabz because you wouldn't touch one and amastrike because the one you know makes up for it.

Comment

i always said i'd never own a cribber. Until an awesome horse came along. He has been mine now for 8 years and i am so happy i have him. he is awesome to ride. Would i ever get another cribber- Probably.

Comment

The horse I bought for my then 13 year old daughter was 14 years old, and a cribber. I almost passed on him, but went ahead since he seemed like such a saint. I never regretted it, because he took perfect care of her. Honestly, a 16 year old horse isn't that old anymore. My daughter's horse lived until he was 27, and was sound and rideable until he was 26. He wasn't an obnoxious cribber that was oblivious to his surroundings when he cribbed. I don't think I could handle one of those because I like my horses to interact with me.

But if you know the horse, and they're a good match, I think safety and compatibility are way more important for a young person's first horse.

Comment

Never, they drive ME nuts.
              Any of those, cribbing, weaving, fence/stall walking, are a definitive no go for me, because my horses live by my house and get to watch them on and off all day and night long and such would drive me not to want to even look out the window.

Now, our retired ranch horse with ringbone from a pasture accident, the last two years we had him on bute and when the bute ran low, he would crib on a fence or tree limb,
              Upping his bute for a few days he would quit cribbing.
              No, the vet didn't think he had ulcers, it was definitely pain from his foot causing him to very slowly crib.
              That was just sad, not a maddening habit without rhyme or reason.

Buying a horse that is a confirmed, OCD cribber?
              I need to be where I don't see them all day doing it.

I have seen cribbers that have stubs for front teeth, not good for pasture horses.

I am surprised that, by now, as much as veterinary medicine has advanced, there is still no way to help a horse quit cribbing with some medication or surgery.
              About 50 years ago, our riding school had a five year old that started cribbing and they tried an operation for it at the local veterinary college, about a 4" cut high on the side of his neck, cutting some nerves and he quit cribbing.
              Must not have worked long, as I have never again heard of others trying that.

Comment

Cribbing isn't a problem for me as long as it can be controlled by a strap.

My current horse is a phenomenal athlete . . . who cribs.

He's the first cribber I've owned and I'm surprised by how little it bothers me.
                Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Bogie View Post
                  Cribbing isn't a problem for me as long as it can be controlled by a strap.

My current horse is a phenomenal athlete . . . who cribs.

He's the first cribber I've owned and I'm surprised by how little it bothers me.
                  Yes, but do you work and live in the barn most of the day and hear him hour after hour after hour cribbing, or are you just there to ride and not much longer?

It depends on the horse, but for many, the strap is really a bit inhumane, it has to be put on so tight to work.

Comment

I would not let cribbing stand in my way of the "perfect" horse.
                    I LOVE my Chickens!

Comment

Cribbers drive me up the wall - I would not buy one for myself.
                      APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

I have an old guy, 31, whom I've had since he was 3. Confirmed cribber, but luckily he has never pulled off a fence board or destroyed his stall. He doesn't pull when he does it. Since I put up hot wire across the top of my fences, he doesn't crib when he is out, which is most of the time. If the horse is out, why not put up the wire?
                        In the stall the door and wall ledges if any, could be covered in angle iron.

Comment

When our daughter was moving up from her pony to a horse, the horse we found was a cribber. Nothing stopped the mare from cribbing, ever. She was safe, healthy and trustworthy Quarter horse. When my daughter outgrew the mare's skill set we sold her to good friend for their son. The mare is now 23 and still safe, healthy and trustworthy. My theory is that I can replace stall boards but not my daughter.

If everything else was perfect with the horse then cribbing would not stop me.

Comment

I Will NEVER purchase a "cribber" .

I will
                            NEVER purchase a 'cribber' .
                            Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

My first horse was a cribber. We were told he as not when we saw him, but he sure did crib once we got him home. It just wasn't a big deal. He wore a miracle collar sometime, if the barn insisted. If the barn didn't care, he went naked. His cribbing was generally limited to after he ate grain or when he was tied up. He was a terribly smart, clever horse, and I find most cribbers to be the same way mentally.

I have another one now. Same story--was told she did not crib. She does. She's out on acreage and her cribbing is minimal.

Frankly, I just don't see it as a problem, particularly if you've got your own place. Hot wire the fences and buy the horse.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                                Yes, but do you work and live in the barn most of the day and hear him hour after hour after hour cribbing, or are you just there to ride and not much longer?

It depends on the horse, but for many, the strap is really a bit inhumane, it has to be put on so tight to work.
                                I do think it depends on the horse. I'm generally at the barn for 2-4 hours/day. We have a co-op barn so I'm there doing chores for quite some time. My horse lives out 24/7 with access to his stall. He cribs MUCH less in this circumstance. He also only cribs a little with his collar on.

There are certainly horses that would rather crib than eat. For many, cribbing can be reduced with the right environment.
                                Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                                EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

what i will say to those who say "NEVER"- I also said "never".

And i am glad i gave my guy a chance, he really is wonderful. he likes to work.

Comment

My horse is a cribber. He is my first horse I have had. I leased him for a year, then they decided to sell all their horses, so I bought him.

I have heard it all, cribbers TEACH other horses to crib, BS. NO horse has ever started to crib if they are w/my horse. I have had him over 10 yrs and no horse has ever "learned" to crib from him.

He windsucks. I have used a cribbing strap, but didnt like how tight it had to be and the rub marks they left.

So, what I have done the last few years, is I made a cribbing station for him. I put some old ropes on the front of his stall. He cribs off of those. They are soft, so I figure it is better for his teeth.

I have contained his habit and stopped him from doing any damage. He is a GREAT horse and I would have lost out if I had made a huge issue on his cribbing and not bought him.

It is really his only vice and I just ignore it totally. He is very happy and healthy, so I just dont see it as a big deal, personally.
                                    Riding is NOT meant as an inside sport, GET out of that arena!!!

Comment

If the horse is perfect for the rider, and being a first horse, perfect is a huge bill to fill, cribbing, eh not so important to be a deal breaker.
                                      Just like our eyes, our hearts have a way of adjusting to the dark.--Adam Stanley

Comment

Not a deal breaker for me if the other qualities are good. As Nezzy said: "Never say Never!" I have eaten my words too many times.

Comment

Working...
                                        X