Stallion Spotlight

Sir Donnerhall_02Beelitz

Real Estate Spotlight

• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

** ALERT! -- Free Horse-Related Kindle Book -- ALERT! **

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Impractical Horsewoman View Post

Thank you so much talkofthetown ! Yes, I've been around here for a couple of years (and, I admit, taking notes for some of the books, but not in a bad way). I know there are a couple of authors lurking and posting on COTH.

I'm actually finishing up the editing of book five in the series, Give and Hazard All. It does feature a plot point involving one of Simon's many musical obsessions...but I don't want to give too much away...
    I am truly fangirl-ing right now. I cannot wait to catch up on Simon's life...I was so disappointed when Fortune's Fool ended. Thank you for sharing with us!

Comment

• Yay! Can't wait for the next one... I love your books.

Comment

• In honor of the release of my fifth Fortune's Fool book, Give and Hazard All, I'm offering Book 4 Crawling Between Heaven and Earth for sale for $.99 in the Kindle Store. Book 4 chronicles eventer Simon O'Shaughnessy's attempt to tackle the famous (or infamous) Mongol Derby.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ies_dp_rw_ca_4

It's also on sale in the UK:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077YQNSHZ

And here's a link to Book 5, the latest, Give and Hazard All. This time, the intrepid eventers at O'Shaughnessy Eventing tackle timber racing and the Maryland Hunt Cup!

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...ies_dp_rw_ca_5

Check out my latest novel, Pride, Prejudice, and Personal Statements!

Comment

• Bought Book 5, just like I have purchased ALL the others in the series! Keep on writing, Impractical!
          "I couldn't fix your brakes, so I made your horn louder."

Comment

• Originally posted by Pat9 View Post
            Bought Book 5, just like I have purchased ALL the others in the series! Keep on writing, Impractical!
            Thank you so much! Pat9 I hope you enjoy the ride--and the dual perspective format!
            Feedback from readers is what keep authors motivated...and caffeine

Comment

• Just one thing I noticed - Monty's wearing "a leather lead rope." Actually Monty is wearing a lead shank or chain shank. Or just a lead. Yes, I liked the dual perspective format, and the expansion into yet another sport. I still think Simon needs to do an endurance ride like the Tevis. The Mongolian race is a totally different thing. And Phillip can take up team penning.

Comment

• Robert Louis Stevenson, travels with a donkey on Amazon.
                “A man convinced against his will, is of the same opinion still.”

Comment

• As an odd coincidence, "Travels with a donkey" was in a library collection at Lowell Observatory, Flagstaff, AZ. Stevenson's brother worked there, had a copy of his brother's book, and when he retired or passed away, the books in his office library were placed in the Slipher building, the administration building for the observatory. The educator mentioned that book to us when he discovered that we had just been to the North Rim of Grand Canyon and done two mule rides, plus were interested in Brighty the donkey.. By the way, it's an awesome building, and if you are in the Flagstaff area, go there for an evening visit.

Comment

• Cyber Monday is here! In case any of you are fantasizing about running away to ride on semi-feral horses across Mongolia to escape the stresses of the holiday season, you're in luck. My novel Crawling Between Heaven and Earth is on sale for only .99 in the Kindle store, in both the US and the UK.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...t_bibl_vppi_i5

and

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077YQNSHZ

I know some of you are already up-to-date on my protagonist Simon's various doings, and I do have a new stand-alone YA novel--Pride, Prejudice, and Personal Statements--that is also on sale for a limited time for .99 in both the US and the UK Kindle stores. This one doesn't have horses, although it does have a number of scenes featuring cute dogs, including a dachshund named Wentworth.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07JM7WJ58

and

Comment

• Real Horses. Real Riders. Real Results! www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Comment

• thathorse I can only dream! Unfortunately, it's rather costly to do an audiobook, given that it requires employing an actor or actors. Maybe in the far future, but I'd need to find a publisher willing to finance it.

Of course, I've fantasized what screen actors would play my characters on many occasions!

Comment

• Ohhhhhhhhh...who would you like to cast for Simon? Do tell!
                          The plural of anecdote is not data.

Comment

• Originally posted by McGurk View Post
                            Ohhhhhhhhh...who would you like to cast for Simon? Do tell!
                            A young Matt Smith from Doctor Who/The Crown/ Pride and Prejudice and Zombies would be perfect, although unfortunately the real Matt's too old now. Of course, he's British, but I assume that all British actors can do an excellent American accent! A lesser known British actor named Russell Tovey also has the right energy for Simon (he was in Angels in America so he can definitely do an American accent). But again, too old.

One of the problems with fantasizing about casting a very young role as a writer or reader is by the time a book is optioned and all the financing is taken care of for the production, most of the actors that would seem right for the role have aged out of the part!

Somewhat less self-indulgently (don't want to make this post all about me), the number of books that aren't made into films (horse and otherwise) surprises me, when they have such great stories and hundreds of reviews on Amazon. Yet some very mediocre stories do get made into films--or Hollywood just remakes everything that doesn't need a remake!

Comment

• Impractical,

The very favorite dinner table conversation and parlor game among myself and my sibs is casting our favorite books, should they be turned into movies. Sometimes we allow fantasy casting, so for instance, I could say that an age appropriate Michael York (pre-Caberet) would be good to play Simon, alongside an age appropriate Anthony Hopkins playing Daniel McAllister.???????

Comment

• McGurk I love Michael York (and he was absolutely wonderful and vulnerable in Cabaret, what a great film). I wonder what he looked like when he was seventeen or so? And although Anthony Hopkins is best remembered for Hannibal Lector, I also remember his subtle, sensitive performances in Remains of the Day and Howard's End.

International Velvet was a rather uneven film, but Hopkins' performance as the team coach was the best thing in it.

I could see Ansel Elgort (The Fault in Our Stars) as Phillip. He's getting a little bit old, but Phillip doesn't show up until Simon is older, so...

I think horse films are very expensive to make, unfortunately, animals being animals, and other than racing stories, don't tend to do that well at the box office. Still, an author can dream...

Comment

• Hello all! Just a little bump to this thread to announce that I'm offering Stars Hide Your Fires (Fortune's Fool, #3) for sale for .99 in the Kindle Store until 3/8. I consider this the first book of Simon's more mature existence, and the book in which people get to know the characters that will feature most prominently in books 4, 5, and (hopefully) future book 6.

https://www.amazon.com/Stars-Hide-Yo...=UTF8&qid=&sr=

Not horse-related (although it does have a special guest animal star in the form of a dachshund named Wentworth), my Austen-inspired YA book is free until 3/8 in the Kindle store, for an exclusive one-time offer.

Comment

• In my opinion, this is the best horse story every written. And it is 99 cents.
                                    https://www.amazon.com/Maltese-Cat-A...gateway&sr=8-1
                                    A man must love a thing very much if he not only practices it without any hope of fame or money, but even practices it without any hope of doing it well.--G. K. Chesterton

Comment

• Originally posted by lizathenag View Post
                                      In my opinion, this is the best horse story every written. And it is 99 cents.
                                      https://www.amazon.com/Maltese-Cat-A...gateway&sr=8-1
                                      I agree. I have loved this story since I first read it as a child. (In a Margaret Caball Self anthology, IIRC.)
                                      "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

• lizthenag,

I agree. I absolutely loved that story. And thought that some day, I would like to offer a horse a drink from their trophy.

Comment

Working...
                                        X