• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

So how many whackjobs respond to your ads?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So how many whackjobs respond to your ads?

Make me feel better. Trying to find homes for two horses and and keep getting, um, to put it kindly, unrealistic people responding to my ads. The horses are described carefully in the ads. But the respondents are truly off the wall.

There is light at the end of the tunnel right?

Usually takes us a LONG time to sell a horse. We also carefully describe the horse and his skills, STILL get the riders who think they have far more skill than they do. Very inflated view of their riding ablities which must be encouraged by their riding instructors, because they are NOT showing it to me!

None of our animals are beginner horses, though they are not complicated or difficult either, just need a moderately skilled rider who is IN CHARGE during the ride. Seems that kind of rider is harder to find as time goes by.

You have to protect the horse from the riders that don't know what they are doing, so they don't UNTRAIN the horse during the ride. I have stopped buyers in a ride, pulled them off and told them horse was more than they needed.

I DO BELIEVE that a lot of tire-kickers just are out for free rides, and that gets old. Same with the folks who come out and want to "get into his head" so they can be soul-mates.

Good luck selling yours. It takes me from 6 months to a year to move a horse. We are too far out of the way for English riders to come see them. They LOVE the videos, but expect to be jerked around if they make the trip and be shown a puke. Horse can't be THAT GOOD, for that money! Their loss, because when The ONE comes to ride, they take the horse right away. Worth the wait for me! The buyers who purchase love the horse, ENJOY the horse, are glad they came. Horse seems to like them too, rides well, likes following directions from a confident rider. I LIKE selling to a person like that. We often hear about horse activities for years after.

Comment

Has anyone seen these horses prior to being put on sale?

We never had an issue selling any of the kids horses when they wanted to trade up as they had buyers waiting...even the ones that were never for sale had people coming by the show grounds making offers.

We just took everyday nice horses and worked with them to do what our kids were wanting to do at that time.....even the pony that cribbed was sold in a few weeks because it was an outstanding child's NATRC horse who my youngest daughter outgrew.

Our horses were never project horses for sale, but project horses for our kids to learn with.

Comment

I really don't think people read ads beyond the first line. We have been trying to find a home for a 5 year old TWH mare who was unhandled for the first 4 years of her life. She is doing great now but still has some serious trust issues and needs an experienced person. I go into detail about all of this in our ads for her and I still get people asking if she would be good for their 4 year old to learn to ride on. Then they tend to get huffy when I tell them no it would not be a good fit. It is really frustrating!
        Hope's Legacy Equine Rescue, Inc.

Comment

We leased out my daughter's horse recently. I couldn't believe some of the responses I got. Two people who came (with their trainers) insisted they wanted to buy him. And I insisted he was not for sale. Then I had several asking for a free lease. This is a rock solid steady 3' hunter. Shown AA. Seriously? Free? We finally found a young girl wanting to show the low children's. It took about 3 months.

I got so many crazy requests. One for a free lease to show him at a local schooling series. Oh my. He hadn't shown at a schooling show in about 5 years. That would be embarrassing. Several who wanted to use him for eventing. Ugh. Nothing against it but he is just not suitable. No matter how clear I made an ad I continued to get quite off the wall requests.

Comment

I am of the firm belief that ANY sort of advertisement with the purpose of placing an animal in a new home - whether it's a rescued guinea pig or a very fancy horse (and EVERYTHING in between) - is an invitation to the crazies. About 15 years ago I ran a breed specific rescue (non-profit, very legit) for Boxers. We were VERY VERY particular about the homes we sought, did home visits, gave dogs job skills before placement, carefully assessed their temperaments so we knew which dog could be with toddlers, which couldn't, etc. The nuts we had to deal with... Selling horses if often no different. When I've got something to sell horse-wise (haven't had to do that in a while), I call on my trainer friends & do my best NOT to place any ads...too time consuming & frustrating.

Comment

I was trying to sell a four year old I had started and I stated as clearly as possible in the ad that, while he had a lovely, kind nature, he required an experienced rider as he'd only been under saddle six months. He was also a 16hh draft cross.

Most of the emails I got in response to that ad were from people wanting to buy a pony club horse for their beginner 12-year olds to whip round in mounted games. Do people actually read ads?
              Help me keep my horse in peppermints and enjoy a great read! My New York City crime novel, available on Amazon.

Comment

With the way I was raised it would have been terribly rude not to respond to any and all replies to an advertisement. I dont know if its age or what, but honestly I dont even reply to some because its just so ballant that they are crazy, didnt read the ad, want it for free, or just going to show up to amuse themselves that day by being a totally offensive tire kicker.
                One couple was the ultimate of rude. He even made comments about the goat that was very clearly a pet, being ready to butcher. Or the people who want to show up for saturday pony rides for the kids that have no intention of buying.

Wow sorry about that rant over.
                Just like our eyes, our hearts have a way of adjusting to the dark.--Adam Stanley

Comment

Thankfully it's pretty easy to weed out some of the crazies before they come to look, via email. When I get inquiries about my green four year old from people looking for a young child's horse, a training level packer, or a free lease, I can simply reply that it is not a suitable match and be on my merry way.

What drives me nuts is when people come out, having been thoroughly educated about the horse, and are clearly quite unsuitable. If you are a beginner and still learning your diagonals, don't come look at a horse for an experienced rider. If you are looking for a horse to trail ride on the weekends, please tell me that before coming out to look at horses that are listed at over $10k, because we both know you are not going to spend that much. I don't mind showing my horse to serious buyers, but I hate wasting hours of time so people can be entertained.

I will say, there is light at the end of the tunnel, I promise! It just might be far, far away...

Comment

Originally posted by Caol Ila View Post
                    I was trying to sell a four year old I had started and I stated as clearly as possible in the ad that, while he had a lovely, kind nature, he required an experienced rider as he'd only been under saddle six months. He was also a 16hh draft cross.

Most of the emails I got in response to that ad were from people wanting to buy a pony club horse for their beginner 12-year olds to whip round in mounted games. Do people actually read ads?
                    I had the same experience. Four year old 17.2 hh warmblood, 30 days under saddle with upper level potential, advanced rider only.

One mother of a 6 year old was highly offended when I told her that 6 months of lessons does not an advanced rider make.

Another wanted to keep him in her back yard for her 8 and 10 year old to "play around with." Listed price was $15,000. What the fruitbat?

Comment

I tend to collect horses, not sell them, but this past year (2012) I had to sell two of my lesson/trail horses - first time I've sold horses in five years (I was up to 14 horses and needed to downsize a bit, lol). It only took a month or two to sell them - had a few people respond to the ads, but the very first people to come look at each of them ended up buying them. No one else came out, no competition or whatnot. It was easy.

However, i did try to move one of my more advanced horses, and had a LOT of people that thought they knew what they were doing come out - even though horse was advertised as an ADVANCED horse NOT for beginners, had a lot of people saying "I just started riding, do you think this would be a good horse for me??" and "i'm looking for a horse for my 10 year old daughter, how do you think she would work out?"

ugh. can people not READ a freakin ad??
                      Teaching Horseback Riding Lessons: A Practical Training Manual for Instructors

Stop Wasting Hay and Extend Consumption Time With Round Bale Hay Nets!!

Comment

However, i did try to move one of my more advanced horses, and had a LOT of people that thought they knew what they were doing come out - even though horse was advertised as an ADVANCED horse NOT for beginners

I just sold a horse that I had started under saddle training only 15 months ago. I put her up for sale as soon as I acquired her and her price increased as her training, show mileage and accomplishments racked up. I sold her to the second person who actually came out and rode her/tried her. I had a handful of people inquire about her from the ads I put out there. One was from a "fellow" breeder who admonished me for pricing the horse way too low and insisted I up it by $9000, then she would send people my way and only charge me her finders fee (um no thanks). The others all wanted to know if I was firm on the price....um well that is what every advertisement stated and the fact that price would increase with more training and show miles. Though I had those who clearly were not a good match for the horse, there were far fewer than what I have experienced in the past. While my ads stated that the mare was green and had only been under saddle with me since "x", I believe that I had fewer inquiries overall because though the mare is solid, quiet and not flighty in the least, I listed her temperament as a 6. I truly believe it kept many of the beginner types, older ammies wanting safe/sane/easy/KMart types but still score 8s on gaits, and the younger crowd away.
                        Ranch of Last Resort

Comment

I think there's nut jobs on both sides. I've sold once and bought three times. I've come to believe that 2/3's of the people out there simply have no clue about horses in general. You should see what types of horses are listed as "dead quiet, perfect for beginners". At first I thought sellers were lying (and some were), but most people have no idea what a well behaved, quiet horse is like. I'm not a beginner, but at my age that's the type of trail horse I was looking for.
                          In memory of Apache, who loved to play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZAqeg7HyE

Comment

Here's my most recent /current experience.

Following is my craigslist ad. There are 6 photos accompanying the ad, including one taken when she was a weanling being lead over a tarp with ground poles. After the ad, see the most recent response and subsequent dialog from one "interested" person. I'm done answering this joker.

Yearling <BREED TYPE LISTED> Filly - $<PRICE LISTED> on title line>.

"Lucy" is a gorgeous unregistered (September, 31, 2011) <BREED LISTED> filly by a Frank Scripter/Lois Williams foundation bred few-spot stallion <STALLION LISTED>; out of a QH/Arab mare from <STALLION LISTED> breeding. Very friendly and EASY, EASY, EASY to work with. Leads, ties, stands for grooming, farrier, etc. Has free lounged in round pen and has worn a surcingle - NO problem. Current Coggins. Sire is 15.3 + (?) and dam is app. 15+ hands. Filly measured 13.3 hands on 2/11/13 and is growing fast. Pictured as a weanling (without snow) and as a yearling (with snow). She's going to be one flashy horse! $<PRICE CLEARLY STATED>.

Inquiry:
                            "Is she still for sale?"
                            Response:
                            "Yes she is."

Inquiry:
                            "Can you tell me about her?"
                            Response:
                            "She's basically described in the craigslist ad. Are there particular things you'd like to know about her?"

Inquiry:
                            "Has she had any work done with her? How old is she?"
                            Response:
                            "Born (September, 31, 2011). Leads, ties, stands for grooming, farrier, etc. Has free lounged in round pen and has worn a surcingle. One of the pics in the ad shows her as a weanling walking across poles/tarp."

Response:
                            "Ok great! What is her price again?"

Oye!?!
                            Last edited by CharingHounds; Feb. 19, 2013, 09:39 AM. Reason: took out specific details that might make it an ad on COTH..

Comment

I had one horse advertised as suitable for adult intermediate rider. Of course I got the inevitable phone call was "Can I use him to teach my 10 yr total beginner daughter?" Just because he was short apparently he was a kids horse?
                              I don't think some people actually read the ads, they must just look at the pictures.
                              I had a spate of tween girls inquiring one year, one thought I would hold the horse for her until she turned 16 as her parents said she could have a horse then, she was 13.

Comment

Originally posted by CharingHounds View Post
                                "Lucy" is a gorgeous unregistered (September, 31, 2011)
                                um.....

september 31 is not a date.
                                Teaching Horseback Riding Lessons: A Practical Training Manual for Instructors

Stop Wasting Hay and Extend Consumption Time With Round Bale Hay Nets!!

Comment

Originally posted by equinekingdom View Post
                                  um.....

september 31 is not a date.
                                  Yikes! No wonder they asked again how old she was!?!

Comment

Both sellers and buyers are crazy IMP. I get the usual crazy responses of "is your horse good for my little bitty kid to learn to ride on" in response to an ad for an unbroke large pony. I do make sure to put in the ad that the pony was not suitable for a child. I sometimes think they don't read past "for sale."

Many years ago I was looking for a horse for myself but also one my son (a beginner) could ride. I drove an hour and a half to 2 hours one way several times to look at horses after being assured on the phone the horse was perfect for us, only to show up and wonder if they were trying to kill my child.

Which actually reminds me of one I went to look at. He was advertised as 12 years old. I knew as soon as I looked at him that he was older. She told me that they were told he was 12 when they bought him but did suspect he was older. I asked how long they had him and was told a couple years. So, I guess she didn't realize horses age?

Comment

I had a whack job respond to a house bunny I was selling. She told me she was starting a rabbit sanctuary in her backyard where they could all just run free.

Um, yeah. We still have the bunny.
                                      “Pray, hope, and don't worry.”

St. Padre Pio

Comment

Sorry...no light in sight!!! I find that the cheaper the price, the more the crazies come out!!! Even with expensive very large, fancy show horses I get tons of calls from "mommies" whose children have been "taking lessons for 30-60 days and we want to come look/try your 16.3 TB jumper"!! And when the weather sucks outside I get wayyyyy more calls because people are stuck indoors on the computer!!! Good luck!!!
                                        www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
                                        Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Comment

Working...
                                        X