• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sorry, my mistake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sorry, my mistake

Dang...........so sorry, never meant for attacks. MY BAD
    Last edited by skykingismybaby1; Feb. 13, 2013, 03:20 PM.
    www.headsupspecialriders.com

You know, really, life is too short! There are too many good horses in the world to deal with this kind.
    Patty
    www.rivervalefarm.com
    Follow us on facebook - https://www.facebook.com/pages/River...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

Oh, so sorry for the trainer. And heartbroken about Willow. Pasos are my breed. My boy is very reactive (way less so now that he's older) and nervous (also less so now) and I keep telling him he's very lucky he ended up with me. He has taught me patience.
      What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

If your friend doesn't have experience with Pasos (and specifically with rehabbing problem Pasos) she needs to let this one go before she gets killed and I mean that literally. I looked at the video and I'd bet good money that mare has either Castellano or Capuchino lines and has not been started or managed properly. *Some* of the horses from that line are extremely sensitive, reactive and athletic and really should be in the hands of a professional Paso trainer from age 2-1/2 on up to avoid becoming this kind of monster. I had a young mare that I bought sight unseen from a "friend" of a "friend" (note quotes) a few years ago who had issues similar to this one and had both Castellano and Capuchino lines. She was gorgeous, well-bred and well-gaited, and I like horses with brio. The issues were not disclosed to us beforehand but the Paso community is small and after talking around we discovered that the person who started her damaged the horse mentally and physically and that the "friend" definitely knew this. Hubby is an extremely talented and stubborn Paso trainer. I'm a reasonably skilled and stubborn Paso rider. We both liked the mare a lot and were willing to take on the project. After two years of rehab involving chiropractors (thank you Dr Dill) and skilled and patient training we both had to admit defeat. Although we improved her and dealt with the chiro issues, the mare was simply beyond repair as a reliable saddle mount.

Fixing this mare at this point will require a lot more than positive reinforcement and cookies and she will NOT EVER be suitable for an amateur rider with a bad back. There are plenty of other Pasos out there with the same look and gait and much better brains. Please tell your friend to do the smart and honorable thing to make sure this mare doesn't go back into the auction or get passed to someone else who doesn't know her background...

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by BarbaricYawp View Post
          If your friend doesn't have experience with Pasos (and specifically with rehabbing problem Pasos) she needs to let this one go before she gets killed and I mean that literally. I looked at the video and I'd bet good money that mare has either Castellano or Capuchino lines and has not been started or managed properly. *Some* of the horses from that line are extremely sensitive, reactive and athletic and really should be in the hands of a professional Paso trainer from age 2-1/2 on up to avoid becoming this kind of monster. I had a young mare that I bought sight unseen from a "friend" of a "friend" (note quotes) a few years ago who had issues similar to this one and had both Castellano and Capuchino lines. She was gorgeous, well-bred and well-gaited, and I like horses with brio. The issues were not disclosed to us beforehand but the Paso community is small and after talking around we discovered that the person who started her damaged the horse mentally and physically and that the "friend" definitely knew this. Hubby is an extremely talented and stubborn Paso trainer. I'm a reasonably skilled and stubborn Paso rider. We both liked the mare a lot and were willing to take on the project. After two years of rehab involving chiropractors (thank you Dr Dill) and skilled and patient training we both had to admit defeat. Although we improved her and dealt with the chiro issues, the mare was simply beyond repair as a reliable saddle mount.

Fixing this mare at this point will require a lot more than positive reinforcement and cookies and she will NOT EVER be suitable for an amateur rider with a bad back. There are plenty of other Pasos out there with the same look and gait and much better brains. Please tell your friend to do the smart and honorable thing to make sure this mare doesn't go back into the auction or get passed to someone else who doesn't know her background...
          Even without your specific knowledge of Paso lines, this young trainer has figured out that this horse is not right for the owners and never will be. The future of this horse has to be determined in the near future. She was pulled from Camelot once and I doubt any of the parties involved will dump her again for some one else to get hurt. IMHO PTS is the solution unless some one steps up.
          Last edited by skykingismybaby1; Feb. 13, 2013, 11:29 AM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I know. So sad. Poor mare. Broke my heart ot see how scared she was just standing there tacked up. Hope your friend as a full and speedy recovery. She sounds like a really great person.

Comment

Originally posted by skykingismybaby1 View Post
              Even without your specific knowledge of Paso lines, this young trainer has figured out that this horse is not right for the owners and never will be. The future of this horse has to be determined in the near future. She was pulled from Camelot once and I doubt any of the parties involved will dump her agan for some one else to get hurt. IMHO PTS is the solution unless some one steps up/
              Common sense is a rare thing, glad to hear your friend has some. Agree with your recommendation.

Comment

I've been following this blogger for years and she just has SUCH a good head for horses and is thoughtful about what she does. We started out badly (long story) but she quite graciously came back to me and apologized. It's very sad that this happened, especially when her training business was really getting going.

I think her point about "two kinds of horses" at Camelot and other low-end auctions is worth repeating. I know of a couple of fancy show Morgans who came through New Holland -- including some with outstanding recent show records -- who have turned out to be absolutely crazy and dangerous. Of course, a skinny beat up horse might have behavioral problems... but the fat shiny ones have to make you pause and ask WHY they are at auction.
                You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

This poor girl...so kind and insightful about the horse. And she has no medical insurance.

Comment

Your poor friend. Geez.

I know from reading on here that the minute you say "rear" you get a lot of negative responses, mostly of the not safe and never going to be safe variety. My trainer has a colt that she keeps saying she's going to sell off the farm because he flipped in the bitting rig. She's been saying this for months now and can't bring herself to do the deed.
                    I feel so for the poor horse Willow, she doesn't know, she's just reacting, but at the same time that could have been your friend's life. Maybe it is time to either turn Willow into a permanent pasture pet, forever and ever, or have her PTS. I'd be wrestling with this as her owner, that's for sure.
                    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                    Incredible Invisible

Comment

the author seems like a lovely insightful trainer and horsewoman, who also happens to be an idiot. she is training horses for a living and she has no health insurance?!!! she could afford $80 winter riding breeches but she didn't opt for health insurance

yes, sadly, this is definitely a cautionary tale...
                      * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by jacksmom View Post
                        the author seems like a lovely insightful trainer and horsewoman, who also happens to be an idiot. she is training horses for a living and she has no health insurance?!!! she could afford $80 winter riding breeches but she didn't opt for health insurance

Yes the risks taken in youth seem very different when viewed from my 60yo vantage point.

Read the rest of the blog --- lots of laughs and good writing, and great photography.
                        Last edited by skykingismybaby1; Feb. 13, 2013, 01:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Of course the lack of insurance bothers me too but I will not judge her for it when there are so many horsepeople who go without it.
                          You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

Originally posted by jacksmom View Post

YES!
                            The ultimate goal of farming is not the growing of crops, but the cultivation and perfection of human beings.

Comment

Unfortunately, lots and lots of people in this country cannot afford health insurance. Those of it who have it as a benefit from our employers can count ourselves lucky.

Comment

Wow. I read the whole tale. Im so glad she had a helmet on. Her assessment of those at Camelot was great. I think that people tend to forget (not the blogger) that these horses are at an AUCTION. They are ALL there for a reason. She summed it up well, so I won't repeat. I pulled my horse from the #10 feedlot at Camelot in 2010 and while he was NOTHING like this horse, he was not easy. The average person is not going to have a Snowman story about their horse pulled from the Auction. You really need to not only be aware and capable, but have a support system that can help you if it's more than you can do on your own. It seems like a fairy tale idea to 'rescue' a horse from camelot, but so many times, we see them get bought, only to come back through again because they were unsuitable for their buyer.

This young trainer has a great head on her shoulders and I commend her for trying with this horse.

Comment

I agree -- I have discovered how relatively lucky (although I sure don't feel lucky, it's far from free) I am to have insurance and how quickly you can find yourself in a very serious place. I have a very physical job and a very physical hobby. Knee injury, surgery, PT, medications, MRI's, xrays, etc later, it is an ENORMOUS amount of money and I am still not done with it after almost 2 years. It would be several orders of magnitude higher without insurance. And I am still left with an unfixable injury and piles of bills.

Dom is a kind and thoughtful person but it is an important point that you need to think very VERY carefully about putting yourself at risk and what the consequences will be. We often learn this lesson too late; I cringed reading, seeing only dollar signs fly by at each procedure. It really can wipe you out in the blink of an eye, especially if you have no backup (significant savings, family, lottery tickets, etc), and even a relatively "simple" thing as a broken leg can be financially devastating.

ETA -- also consider that the rules are changing. Due the strain of treating uninsured patients (and many trainers fall into this category), you may show up at the hospital, have a splint strapped on and be shown the door if you cannot provide an insurance card. No surgical care, no expensive medications, etc, so you may be risking more than you think.

I know very few people who spend their time with horses who have NOT been significantly injured in some way at some time. Dealing with them is always a package of uncertainty and we all know it happens despite our best intentions, in the of a heartbeat.
                                  Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                                  We Are Flying Solo

Comment

I hope you asked her if you could post this here....nothing like getting torn apart on Coth to brighten your day! Not meaning anyone is doing that yet...
                                    Boss Mare Eventing Blog
                                    https://www.youtube.com/user/jealoushe

Comment

I read that with dread and an impending taste of copper in my mouth.

I had (for me) a spectacularly bad wreck involving an abused and mistreated young molly mule, out of a Paso/TWH mare (Hot and twitchy and fizzy). I didn't know her history and very nearly got slammed face first into a 4X4 post when she panicked, bolted, and ducked when she got to the fence. My helmet was irrelevant. Severe whiplash, lost confidence, and a trashed hamstring later, I was able to count myself very, very, very lucky. I slid down and hit the dirt right beside that damn post. Just right there.

The owner now has her turned out. Only she can safely ride the molly. I pray she never, ever, never considers that molly for sale again, but I'm not so sure it won't happen. She's pretty, and quick, and looks like she'd be a good one, and my wreck killed a very pretty check that was on hold to buy her. It took no less than five mule 'experts' to convince her she may never be safe for another rider. How much you wanna bet that the memory will fade? Some animals cannot be brought back from their first taste of 'riding'. They are too damaged.

Comment

Hmm. I dunno. I guess I agree that this horse doesn't seem like she will ever be suitable as a riding horse. She should probably either be a pasture pet or humanely euthanized.

That said, when I was 14, a school horse that I knew well (and who was well within my ability level - I owned my own horse and showed in the 3 ft hunters at the time) reared and flipped on me at the mounting block and broke my femur.

So it's not always the "troubled" ones that end up hurting you. If anything, I think we are all more careful around horses that we know we can't trust 100%.

Riding is a risk, period. Stuff happens.

That's why it is crazy to be riding when you don't have insurance, but I'm sure the blog's author realizes this now.

Comment

Working...
                                        X