• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sorry, my mistake

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by skydy View Post
    Most everyone here has made a stupid decision when dealing with a horse at some point in time.

My only concern, and I mean this kindly, is that when we are still learning, it is best not to "teach".

When I was a child, I would have known NOT to get on a horse that was shaking with fear.

I had lessons from the age of 7yrs, (and an obnoxious pony of my own at 8) however taking lessons was not what would have stopped me from getting on that horse.
    If you spend time with horses,on the ground as well as riding, for any reasonable period of time, you really should know better.

I was an enthusiastic "no fear" 10 yr old but after only 3 years riding (and being bucked off pony for the first month I had him) I would have known better than to get on that horse.

That said, we all make mistakes.

I think the worry many of us have with this situation is that such a (big) mistake was made by someone who is teaching/training.

I wish you (the young lady) a speedy recovery. If you are reading this, take heart, the only positive to being injured is the spare time in which to contemplate what you did wrong!

I speak from experience..
    I've been quietly following this thread... but just had to venture in to say that I LOVE this post.

Great job Skydy.

Comment

• Originally posted by Superminion View Post
      I've been quietly following this thread... but just had to venture in to say that I LOVE this post.

Great job Skydy.
      Thank you.

Comment

• From my behind-the-keyboard, I-don't-know-any-of-the-players-and-can-only-comment-on-what-I-read perspective, there seems to be more than one batshit crazy person in this saga

Comment

• With everyone quoting everyone else on this thread, it's twice as long as it would be w/o the quotes.

Is the horse still eligible to go to whatever rescue it was to go to in Maine? And is that rescue in Maine the one that had the falling out with AC4H a while back on this forum?

Comment

• Originally posted by Discobold View Post
            From my behind-the-keyboard, I-don't-know-any-of-the-players-and-can-only-comment-on-what-I-read perspective, there seems to be more than one batshit crazy person in this saga
            There must be something in the air, because on many COTH forums right now people are being very uncivil to one another.. I know that COTH can have some lively and heated debates,and I enjoy them,and sometimes participate.

However, the off topic nastiness interferes with the exchange of opinons and ideas, and makes it not so fun to be here..

Comment

• Originally posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post
              ...Is the horse still eligible to go to whatever rescue it was to go to in Maine? And is that rescue in Maine the one that had the falling out with AC4H a while back on this forum?
              I'd like to know those answers, too.
              Equus Keepus Brokus

Comment

• Perhaps instead of arguing if we should have private or national healthcare, we should be advocating some type of certification system for trainers. ANYONE can hang out a shingle in the USA. Is certification required in Canada?

Two different people have asked me why I don't give at least beginner lessons since I have a farm, and arena I have absolutely no desire to teach, nor should I. I'll freely admit I have no qualifications for it, but most people think nothing of jumping into it feet first.

I quit reading the blog at "I screamed Baby she broke my leg!" because I cannot stand over dramatization in writing. So I may have missed where she is actually wonderful, qualified, whatever.

Having owned two Peruvian Paso's they are a very sensitive horse. If you are used to working with QH's or Warmbloods, you could easily overface them. They do however send clear signals, so this trainer either discounted them, or missed them.

I hope the blogger recovers well, and applies the lessons learned in this instance to her future rides.
                Facta non verba

Comment

• Shaky scared horse = no ride. Period.

This is what natural and logical consequences look like when one throws reason out the proverbial door.

I hope she recovers and learns from this.
                  Last edited by Eye in the Sky; Feb. 14, 2013, 09:05 AM. Reason: sentence structure
                  Horse sense is the thing a horse has which keeps it from betting on people.
                  W. C. Fields

Comment

• I have been thinking non-stop about this poor horse since yesterday when the first post came up. I would take her in a heartbeat if I had the money. I would take - oh, maybe 6 months doing nothing but grooming, hanging out with treats, hand walking all over the place. She could be out 24/7 or all day/in at night. I may be a rank-ish ammy but have learned enough on this forum and from my own trainer and my own Paso, who was incredibly reactive and spooky when I got him (at age 3.5, just gelded, WHAT was I thinking!) that I think I could do it. I sure hope she finds the right home.

I wish there was something we COTHers could do to help that happen. Anyone??
                    What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

• I, too, am wishing the young lady a swift recovery. It sucks making a foolish decision, made worse by putting it out there on the internet. Luckily, when I was training horses, blogs did not exist yet so the only ones who knew about the foolish scrapes I got myself into were myself and the horses. Helped by the fact that I never took on problem horses since I believe it takes a certain sort of trainer to be really good at that.

Sounds like the mare has a good owner so I am hopeful things will end well for her.

Comment

• Originally posted by oliverreed View Post
                        I have been thinking non-stop about this poor horse since yesterday when the first post came up. I would take her in a heartbeat if I had the money. I would take - oh, maybe 6 months doing nothing but grooming, hanging out with treats, hand walking all over the place. She could be out 24/7 or all day/in at night. I may be a rank-ish ammy but have learned enough on this forum and from my own trainer and my own Paso, who was incredibly reactive and spooky when I got him (at age 3.5, just gelded, WHAT was I thinking!) that I think I could do it. I sure hope she finds the right home.

I wish there was something we COTHers could do to help that happen. Anyone??
                        You could always reach out to Dom and see what the situation is with the mare.
                        Boss Mare Eventing Blog
                        https://www.youtube.com/user/jealoushe

Comment

• Well, good news. I joined a FB page where Dom and the horse's owner both post. Ownwer is going to continue to work with her, serious ground work for a while. She says she'll make a decision sometime in the summer.

Comment

• Originally posted by coldfields View Post
                            Would love to see you take on this horse.
                            Feel free to have Dom pass my contact info along to the owner.

At least it seems the horse is starting to have several options, as people reflect on its situation some more, instead of just automatically the great pasture in the sky because the human had to get it all done in three days for a good youtube video.
                            The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                            Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                            Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                            The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

• Yes, Meup. I have recommended a very reputable nationally known Paso Fino trainer whom I know personally, I bought my horse through his facility. Owner is considering.

Comment

• Originally posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
                                I don't know how you and Meup managed to spring to life on this planet with perfect horsemanship preprogrammed into you, but Congratulations!! It must be totally fabulous to be perfect!!

All this little lady is doing is sharing her mistakes. If the critics here are human, then y'all have made your share of wicked errors also. I mean, even George Morris didn't know anything at one time.

For some reason, I am still alive despite a respectable list of 'judgement errors' in the past. I mean, how many unsupervised kids with horses don't commit an impressive list of sins?

BUT, you know, you can't talk about that stuff. You've gotta, somehow, project this image that you ALWAYS knew how to do this stuff. Somehow the skill is worth more if it is innate than if it is hard won through sweat and hard work???

Which, by the way.... is going to involve making a LOT of errors along the way also.
                                Quit flailing around Isabeau. I'm not taking sides here and I'm not attacking this trainer, simply pointing out that she doesn't have the chops to handle this particular horse. And if you will read my original response to the OP, I offered up my personal failure with a horse very much like this one. Part of maturing as a horseperson is learning to listen to people who *have* made the mistakes already so you can avoid the same errors. Otherwise you are simply a hardhead. Since I'm very nearly old enough to be this trainers mother (-sigh-), my concern is that she doesn't get hurt more than she already has. There was nothing in her blogpost indicating that she wouldn't consider getting back on this horse, which (again, my opinion only) would be a Bad Idea. And I guess I'm a fogey enough to be appalled at the concept that someone might put themselves in harms way simply to build an internet following.

Comment

Yes, Meup. I have recommended a very reputable nationally known Paso Fino trainer whom I know personally, I bought my horse through his facility. Owner is considering.
                                  That's the best news I've heard all day (although the day is still young... and the better news would be that the owner has actually decided to take that offer LOL). That mare is actually very good and in the right hands could be brilliant.

Comment

• And you know who I'm talking about, right?

Comment

And you know who I'm talking about, right?
                                      I do indeed. And I encouraged the same decision on FB. Let's think positively.

Comment

• Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
                                        Feel free to have Dom pass my contact info along to the owner.

At least it seems the horse is starting to have several options, as people reflect on its situation some more, instead of just automatically the great pasture in the sky because the human had to get it all done in three days for a good youtube video.
                                        Yep- meupatdoes would have the mare feeling better about everything too. I have a good idea where it would start too. Take it from someone whose horse she's ridden.

I don't know this person/story, but....I've been to the blog...I thought I was reading a fairy tale/nightmare. It's hard to imagine this was all reality.

Comment

• I've been thinking about this situation a lot. I do agree that all of us make mistakes with our horses at some point that end in either ourselves or our horses getting injured. And even if we or our horses don't get injured, we have all had close calls where we know we should have done things differently.

Heck, my horse was injured at a show because of a bad decision on the part of a young assistant trainer. I still think that trainer is a nice person and a good horsewoman. She just made a mistake, and it happened to be with my horse. I'm not mad at her about it, and I know for sure that she learned from it. I would trust her to ride my horse again, anytime (she has since moved out of state).

I guess the difference in my mind is that the assistant trainer that was dealing with my horse wasn't showboating or taking video to show what a great rider she is (and she IS a great rider). She WAS focusing on my horse and thought she was making the best decision at the time. It just turned out not to be the best decision. That kind of thing happens to all of us.

The young trainer that is the subject of this thread seems to take a lot of video of herself on "problem" horses doing things that seem like bad ideas. It looks like showboating to me. It looks like what she wants is a "good video" rather than what is right for the horse. I watched some of the other videos that were available on her blog and on her training website, and in several of them, I felt she may have been intentionally causing some of the bad behavior for purposes of the video. There was video of her on a bay gelding that kept rearing, crow hopping, and backing up. She first got on between a mounting block and a wall with a bunch of jumps against it (dangerous location to get on a rearer!) and the horse walked off just fine and all looked relaxed. She then turned the horse and asked the videographer if the camera was on, and, when she found out that it was on, the horse then immediately started acting up. To me, it looked like she was holding him back and asking him to go forward at the same time, which is practically guaranteed to produce a rear on a horse that has a propensity for it. This went on for some time, and she kept stopping the horse and making it stand in place (again, absolutely WRONG thing to do with a rearer). I just kept wanted to yell - GO FORWARD! Eventually, she walked around the arena normally and got off. I don't know. I wasn't there. I don't know the horse in question. But to me, it looked like when she stopped messing with him and giving him mixed signals, off he walked, calm as could be. It seemed like she was putting on a "show" so that she would have a good "after" video. Of course, I could be wrong. But I do maintain that she made a LOT of bad decisions in just that one video while riding a known rearer, so I don't really think she should be riding known rearers. A lot of these same mistakes were repeated on the video of the mare that ultimately ended up breaking this girl's leg.

I really do feel bad that she got hurt. It's a serious injury, and the recovery will probably be a long one. I just hope she fully recovers. And I really hope she will reconsider her approach to "problem" horses and also leave those with rearing problems to someone more capable of handling the problem.

As for the insurance bit...well, yes, I do think she bears personal responsiblity for carrying at LEAST catastrophic coverage which would have helped her out in this situation. My goodness, her occupation is basically "daredevil." To do what she does, even if she WAS making great decisions all the time, she really should be insured. What other countries do is really irrelevant on this point - she lives in the U.S. and her available options are what they are. Catastrophic coverage is quite affordable. If she wasn't willing to obtain such coverage, she probably shouldn't be doing the kind of work she does. Again, she is young. This is a hard lesson, but hopefully it IS a lesson to her and she will take it to heart.

Comment

Working...
                                          X