• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Can somebody explain the effects of back conformation to me?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can somebody explain the effects of back conformation to me?

I have been offered a 7 year old APHA gelding for free. Dead broke to ride, has had extensive western pleasure and showmanship training done, but owner says he is more of an english horse. She has jumped him before and said that he showed interest. She is moving out of state and wants to see him in a good home. No strings attached, said that if it didn't work out I could resell him if I so desired. Only issue is that he doesn't like to load in the trailer. I am going to see him Tuesday.

The only picture I have of him makes his back look a little funky and I was wonder what other's opinions of it were.

gelding

This mare is on my local CL for cheap. 15 years old registered quarter horse, extensively shown in everything 4H has to offer. Also says that she is a good trail horse. Is she considered built downhill?

mare
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

I would have a PPE done on the gelding first. Sounds/looks like a nice young horse who still has a lot to give you. Pictures can be tricky.

From the pictures, I prefer the gelding comformation to the mare who look more downhill with a long back, standing with her hind legs a bit too far out.
    The gelding, despite the wonky back that could be an opt. illusion or fat deposit?!, is overall better built.

The fact that the mare is 15 means that you might have to start with some maintenance treatment sooner but if it doesn't work with the gelding, of course she could be a good option. Have her checked by a vet as well.
    ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
    I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
    HORSING mobile training app

Comment

After dealing with a horse with a similar if not worse back conformation, my advice would depend on your goals with the horse. If you want something to use as a pleasure horse with no performance goals in mind, then it should be fine, but if you want to have a horse that can really work then don't do it.

Both those horses show weak backs. Back conformation affects the biomechanics. A horse with a dipped back will find it harder to really flex over their back, and the high croup will also make it hard for them to sit back on their haunches. Think of the back as a bridge between the forehand and hindquarters, a horse with a dipped back like that is naturally weaker. With flexion/extension harder and potentially limited, the horse will compensate by either increasing lateral bend (perhaps leaning to crookedness) or axial rotation. In order for you to get these horses to really work over their backs you will need to look at how they move and potentially compensate for their weakness and tailor your training to support that. Can't 100% tell with the gelding as the background makes it hard to see but it kind of looks like he has a slight roach in the lumbar area, meaning an area of very limited flexibility within the spine.

For what it's worth, my experience has been that these types may surprise you and turn out to be real athletes despite it but you must take into account that as a resell project it may not be the easiest sell in the long term and there might be maintenance issues associated with conformational weakness.

Comment

I would not go from one picture only, it could be a wrong moment in time.

I agree with what those pictures show, I would try to find a bit more balanced looking horse, but then, if they were not that good, they would not have done what they have already done and done relatively well, so ... maybe those are not really good pictures?

A young horse will take pictures than a horse twice it's age won't, take that into consideration also.
        Think what that young horse may look at the age of that older one?
        Will that back weakness become more pronounced by then and become a problem?

The mare seems to be a classier, better bred horse.
        She has a very nice shoulder, but her back is way long and she seems to be back at the knees, unless those are the picture tricking the eye, not how she is really in person.
        The gelding seems more plain standing there, but again, just one picture and from a less than flattering angle.
        Then, some horses take pictures better than they look in person, others are wonderful horses that break cameras, look like a committee horse made of parts that don't fit.

Go ride both, see which one fits what you like best, get a vet to check them well, ask many times if they have been injected, that is almost standard today and can hide so much for a bit and then you may have a horse with problems later.

If you don't have to pay much for one, you can take more chances than if you have to pay so much you can't get that back if the horse doesn't fit at all and you have to resell.

Too much involved there to give a simple answer from a short post and two pictures.
        Not only that, there is no perfect horse, anyone you look over you can take apart and find something, somewhere you may wish was different, that is why we have to look at the whole, conformation standing there, how that affects movement, personality, age, intended purpose, all.

Comment

• Original Poster

Well either horse would my goals would be all around riding, be able to trail ride during the week and show on the weekends. I am not looking for something to take to the world show, just show at the local saddle clubs. I would like something that I could explore jumping with though.
          The Blog

Comment

I just went and read what you wrote on your blog about what you want...I think the gelding kinda fits the bill, but that's just my opinion. I think you really just have to meet him and see "who" he is..He's young enough, more English in type, has "color"..and I think his back looks perfectly servicable for your purposes. He may just turn out to be a true gem...he may need you as much as you need him.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by fairtheewell View Post
              I just went and read what you wrote on your blog about what you want...I think the gelding kinda fits the bill, but that's just my opinion. I think you really just have to meet him and see "who" he is..He's young enough, more English in type, has "color"..and I think his back looks perfectly servicable for your purposes. He may just turn out to be a true gem...he may need you as much as you need him.
              He really does check off a lot of the things I want. I wasn't originally going to go see him, but the price is certainly right!
              The Blog

Comment

You have ouch and double ouch. Long back, downhill, posty...

If you want to do light trail riding either will work, go for the best personality and mind. Neither of them are going to be able to hold up for a lot of hard work.

Saddle fit is going to be a nightmare.. hocks will come into play, collection or working off the front is going to be hard for them which will be tough for them to build up their back and ring of muscle, which they will need desperately.... who knows about the front foot conformation given the pictures. I'd have a farrier look...

And I have one that looks like these now, at 15... and he struggles. When I bought my next riding horse I got a thrifty short-coupled short backed TWH.

If you aren't going to use them hard try either one and go for personality but they aren't athletes.

Poor things, they're pretty at first glance but they will need upkeep.
                “Most people do not listen with the intent to understand; they listen with the intent to reply.” Stephen R. Covey

Comment

Originally posted by cowboymom View Post

If you want to do light trail riding either will work, go for the best personality and mind. Neither of them are going to be able to hold up for a lot of hard work.
                  :
                  Saddle fit is going to be a nightmare.. hocks will come into play, collection or working off the front is going to be hard for them which will be tough for them to build up their back and ring of muscle, which they will need desperately.... who knows about the front foot conformation given the pictures. I'd have a farrier look...

And I have one that looks like these now, at 15... and he struggles. When I bought my next riding horse I got a thrifty short-coupled short backed TWH.

If you aren't going to use them hard try either one and go for personality but they aren't athletes.

what she said. I would skip both. The back is a suspension bridge and must be well anchored on both ends.

Comment

I agree the mare would be hard to fit a saddle--high withers, bulky shoulder, and her back is exceptionally long. Honestly, I'd pass on the mare --I don't see much promise for even low-level jumping, with that long back combined with a heavy shoulder and short neck. If you go try her out, have a few trot poles placed in the arena and see how she feels over those.

The gelding's back is a tad long, yes, but I totally think that with hills and lateral work that you could improve his topline quite a lot. My long-backed mare looked far worse than that when I got her, and within 6mos she was a completely different horse. But, as much as he looks and sounds like a sweetie, the very upright shoulder/pastern gives me pause, and I would want to know whether he has navicular changes? The "free" pricetag makes me wonder about this. Just because he's free don't hesitate to ask if she has recent xrays and if not, get some taken.

Comment

Originally posted by cowboymom View Post

Yep. My first thought at seeing them was saddle horse for trail riding mainly. However, I will say, I've had horses built all wrong for a job do a magnificent job and hold up well. But, they may be few and far between as I did a lot of buying and selling and the odds were I would find such a gem anyway. The basic would be a nice saddle horse at the very least.
                      GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

• Original Poster

I did wrangle in a knowledgable friend to come with me tomorrow morning. I am hoping that maybe he looks better in person. The owner is giving him away because she was given very short notice that her job was moving out of state from what I understand, and I think it is as simple as that. When we spoke she sounded like she was just desperate to find him a good home and fast.
                        The Blog

Comment

Both are long backed and downhill. The gelding looks back at the knees. With the sunshine on his feet, I can't tell how his foot angles might be affecting the knees.

My own gelding was slightly back at the knees, but when I got him his toes were quite long and his heels low. once the feet were wet right, his knees were OK.

Some long-backed horses can make athletic jumpers -- but there's something about this gelding that makes me think he may not be safe to jump. If he shows any tendency to "dive" over jumps, don't jump him. Divers are dangerous.

He looks fine for trails and light low-level showing. Agree on a PPE -- a "free" horse can end up being very expensive!

Comment

Both pictures look like they are at funky camera angles. Kinda hard to judge a horse from one wonky photo. Yep, both look like they have pretty long backs but other than that I wouldn't rush to any judgements until you can check them out in person to see what the pictures aren't showing you.

Camera angles can do strange things to a horse's conformation. I'd never trust a judgment made from just one oddly-angled picture unless the flaw was glaringly obvious and 100% undeniable.

Comment

Originally posted by GaitedGloryRider View Post
                              Both pictures look like they are at funky camera angles. Kinda hard to judge a horse from one wonky photo. Yep, both look like they have pretty long backs but other than that I wouldn't rush to any judgements until you can check them out in person to see what the pictures aren't showing you.

Camera angles can do strange things to a horse's conformation. I'd never trust a judgment made from just one oddly-angled picture unless the flaw was glaringly obvious and 100% undeniable.
                              Even without the funky angles, pictures can be very deceiving.
                              I have looked at more horses that don't look like their pictures in their ads than those that do look like the right horse.

One reason, unless you take pictures from far away with a zoom, the pure mass of a horse tends to distort proportions close up.
                              Add light tricks and you really don't know what you have there.
                              Once we know a horse well, our eye and brain compensates for that and "cleans" the picture for us, so we "see" what we know is there as much as what the picture shows.

Also, you have to see the horse move, just standing there it may look one way, when it moves it may look completely different again.
                              Videos today help so much, at least you get more than one look at the horse, standing and moving, close and further and from different angles.

As for why the horse is being given away, every horse has a story.
                              You have to take them with a grain of salt, as there generally is more than what is being told, although not necessarily anything bad may not be mentioned.

Comment

Good luck tomorrow. Try to take a video!

Comment

• Original Poster

Well my friend ended up not being able to go with me, and I wish she could have. I am not sure what to think. He is a really nice horse, the owner was the assistant to one of the most respected stock horse trainers in the area, something that I didn't relise. His training is super solid, he has three nice gaits that he picks up without fuss. He is a solid showmanship horse as well. I would consider him beginner/kid safe.

A couple of things, he's 13, not 7 like I was orginally told. I don't remember who told me that, the owner or my friend that was trying to hook me up with him. He is also on the short side. He is around 14.2 or 14.3. I am no small girl at 5'7''. He is stocky though, and my legs weren't below his belly, thankfully.

As for his back, it wasn't nearly as bad in person as it is in the picture, it is still funky though. I couldn't decide if it was just that he has big withers, is a little butt high, or if it was a combination of both. He does need muscle along his top line, that is for sure. He also needs to gain about 50-100 pounds.
                                  The Blog

Comment

If he is 13, that explains his back a bit better and so does some other.
                                    He just didn't look like a young horse just maturing into his own.

He does has a very straight looking shoulder in that picture, but many such horses do and the long back compensates for it as not to make them as rough as that would bring.

No one can tell you what to do there.
                                    If you really like the horse, why not?
                                    If you don't quite like him, well ...

A really sweetheart of a horse tends to sell itself, many ignore other they don't like to get that personality in their personal, not project horses to train/re-train and sell.
                                    A well trained horse is also a plus.

Very gentle, supposedly well trained and free? Maybe worth a second try?
                                    When we hear of such a horse, around here, we tend to quickly pass the word around and someone, somewhere can make it work for them or their family/friend/client.

Much to think about there, is it.

Comment

• Original Poster

Reviving this thread because I ended up bring this horse home. Here is
                                      a better shot of him:

Cody

So far he is an interesting horse. Very sensitive and a little on the
                                      hot side. Has more buttons than I think I will ever use. He is
                                      probably the best trained horse I have ever ridden. Right now I am
                                      mostly working him on the ground as he needs to gain some weight.
                                      The Blog

Comment

Working...
                                      X