• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

UPDATE on page 4 FOUND A BABY COPPERHEAD IN THE BARN THIS MORNING

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UPDATE on page 4 FOUND A BABY COPPERHEAD IN THE BARN THIS MORNING

I found a baby Copperhead in the barn this morning… busy barn, lots of activity, lots of horses, lots of people, dogs… and then this snake in the middle of the aisle. The snake is no longer with us... but I’m wondering about his brotheres and sister... and mom and dad... how many babies do Copperheads have in a litter?
    Logres Farm on Facebook
    http://logresfarmpintowarmbloods.com/
    http://logresdobermans.com/
  • Original Poster

I found a baby Copperhead in the barn this morning… busy barn, lots of activity, lots of horses, lots of people, dogs… and then this snake in the middle of the aisle. The snake is no longer with us... but I’m wondering about his brotheres and sister... and mom and dad... how many babies do Copperheads have in a litter?
    Logres Farm on Facebook
    http://logresfarmpintowarmbloods.com/
    http://logresdobermans.com/

Comment

YIKES!!!

Where are you located? They are pretty common in my area.
      Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
      Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
      Green Alligator "Captain"

Comment

Unfortunately, quite a few. Think, like, a dozen or so? They do tend to disperse fairly quickly after birth/hatching. How long/large was the one you found?

Comment

Usually more than 10 in a hatching. You should be aware that the babies are more venomous that older snakes. I'd be calling pest control in immediately!
          Derby Hill~The Outside Course

Comment

There is a repellant product called Snake A Way that you may want to look into. One container covers 150 linear feet. Also keep grain storage meticulously clean. Often the snakes are there for the rodent pickins'.

We live with western diamondbacks aplomb and the best I can tell you is, always be aware of where you are putting your feet and hands. You'll at least prevent the "element of surprise" kind of strikes as much as possible.
            *Barefoot Eventers Clique*

Comment

Wait!

I know the snake has already gone on to a greater reward - but double check.

If you're in the South - remember that the Copperhead and the Northern Watersnake look very similar. There are easy ways to tell the difference that don't involve getting close - but don't worry a whole heck of a lot.

If you have sawdust or shavings around, the snake probably laid eggs there. They disperse quickly - neither the watersnake nor the copperhead would like the barn scene.

Just FYI - we have copperheads too, as well as watersnakes. I have to do a double take each time I see one.

The Northern Watersnake is harmless.
              Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
              Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
              -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Our cats found a baby copperhead close to our house 6 years ago. It bit one cat - she was fine after a trip to the emergency vet clinic - and we've never seen any other copperheads around our house. I sort of figured we'd see or the cats would find the others in the nest but never did.

Comment

CARTIER-I GREW UP IN COPPERHEAD COUNTRY AND WAS TOLDTHEY TRAVELED IN PAIRS-AS A SMALL CHILD I ALMOST PICKED ONE UP THINKINGIT WAS A STICK-MY MOTHER DID NOT LEAVE THE HOUSE FOR 4 DAYS AFTER THAT TO MAKE SURE ITS FRIENDS WERE GONE

awww geesh just realized my cap lock was on and am too lazy to re type everything-sorry-wasnt "yelling"

anywho-i have a major snake phobia and would call an exterminator-ishy yuck gross bleh *shudder*
                  Co-founder of White Trash Dressage (WTD)
                  http://www.lulu.com/mavw1971
                  also available on Amazon.com
                  http://www.cafepress.com/wtdressage

Comment

Don't panic. Copperheads are shy, they are sluggish. They really don't want to be around people. There are quite a few snakes that look like copperheads, that aren't. If you look at your deceased snake, look for the pits behind its eyes. Or the vertical iris. If not there, it is something harmless.

A rattlesnake is more touchy, and can jump at a person and strike from kinda far.

Try not to worry, look where you step, maybe call the animal control people. Snakes do a lot of good, they eat rats: does your barn have rats? If so, that would attract snakes.

Really, don't worry, especially about Copperheads. I understand ERs don't even administer antivenin for their bites. Don't know exactly where you are, but in Virginia, there has been only one death in the last umpteen years due to snakebite: a religious snake-handler who refused treatment after being bitten.

And some Copperheads are truly beautiful, with a delicate metallic sheen to their bodies.

Comment

What Babs said. Besides its autumn so its very unlikely a clutch of snakes just hatched near your barn. Hope that puts your mind at ease.

horse_poor the pairs thing is an old wives tale.

Comment

There is a snake that might go into the barn that looks like a Copperhead but it is harmless. I forget what you call it, but I saw one called the police and the Sergeant showed up with his trusty 6 gun and informed me it was just a harmless snake and not the deadly Copperhead.
                        http://www.usAHSA.org and http://www.noreinstatement.org

Comment

silver---I think this is the time of year copperheads hatch in Virginia---well that's what my vet said years ago when he identified one I had killed the day before. I would be interested if someone has specific information to the contrary.
                          http://www.talloaksfarm.net ---"Success is not final, failure is not fatal; it is the courage to continue that counts." --- Winston Churchill

Comment

Scale patterns can be confusing as snakes can have lots of individual color differences. The non-round pupil poster is correct, also the shape of a snake's head is an easy way to ID venomous from nonpoisonous at a safe distance. Pit vipers (copperheads, rattlers) have triangular heads with "pouchy" jaws to hold that payload. Harmless snakes have more narrow, streamlined heads.
                            *Barefoot Eventers Clique*

Comment

posted Apr. 06, 2004 01:10 PM by Seahorsefarms:

Speaking of putting copperhead in pocket...here's a story from a man who was a surgeon and ended up being an expert of snakebites...
                              A man saw a boy fishing on the edge of a pond...when he got closer, he noticed the boy's hands were red & swollen...he inquired about them...the kid said the "worms" kept biting him as he put them on the hook.....the "worms" were baby copperheads he had caught (prob a nest full) and had in his bucket to use as bait. The boy was rushed to the hospital and lived.
                              That is a true story and when I initially heard it I couldn't get the picture out of my head.

I can't get it to open, but www.gadnr.org has good snake info...but, yesh, this is the time for babies. I find many dead on my street - they lie on the asphalt to soak up the warmth and then get splattered by auto tires...they "freeze" when danger approaches so they get hit...either that or my &%$#@* neighbor and his golf club.
                              www.savethehorses.org GA Horse Rescue
                              http://community.webshots.com/user/seahorsefarm

Comment

My horse got bitten on the muzzle by a copperhead several years ago. His head swelled up huge and he was having breathing difficulties. The vet gave him something to help with swelling and he was fine after several days. He is very wary of snakes now though.
                                Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Comment

First of all, Copperheads (or any other snake for that matter) do NOT travel in "pairs". Good Grief!!!! Where the heck did that old wives tale come from???

Secondly - while the young are JUST as venomous as the adults, they are NOT "more" venomous.

Third - it is absolutely true that a number of other snakes that hang around barns resemble Copperheads. In fact, the young of Black Rat Snakes are brown, tan, & gray patterned/mottled very similar to Copperheads, & are MUCH more likely to be found in & around barns. In fact, we had a nest of Black Rat Snakes hatch in our manure pile this time last year & I couldn't have been happier. Chances are excellent - unless you had your snake identified by an expert - that what you killed could very well have been a very beneficial & harmless young black rat snake.

Copperheads tend to be secretive snakes. They love old woodpiles, woods, old logs, abandoned houses, etc. It is VERY unlikey to find one in a barn aisle. On the other hand, I find young rat snakes in my feed room & barn aisle constantly.

You may want to invest in a good book on the snakes relevant to your area. Killing a young black snake whose only intent was on de-rodenting your barn is really a shame.

Comment

ewiw ewie. I am NOT a fan of snakes. Just reading this thread almost made me pass out. Good luck with the snake problem.
                                    Member of the \"Baby Greenie Support Group\" and major advocate of the Green Arm Band
                                    My pictures! http://community.webshots.com/user/estieg12
                                    **Ticatto** 2000 Dutch WB gelding by Consul
                                    **Ultra** 2001 D

Comment

ok so the pairs thing is evidently an old wives tale-i dont care-snakes have friends

*shudder*
                                      Co-founder of White Trash Dressage (WTD)
                                      http://www.lulu.com/mavw1971
                                      also available on Amazon.com
                                      http://www.cafepress.com/wtdressage

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by breezymeadow:
                                        You may want to invest in a good book on the snakes relevant to your area. Killing a young black snake whose only intent was on de-rodenting your barn is really a shame. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

touché! I want to hit my neighbor-snake-killer with his own golf club...good snake...bad snake...all the same to him...idiot!
                                        www.savethehorses.org GA Horse Rescue
                                        http://community.webshots.com/user/seahorsefarm

Comment

Working...
                                        X