• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

New England Folks people are throwing the "B"word around! Post final snow totals here

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New England Folks people are throwing the "B"word around! Post final snow totals here

Here in CT they are already throwing around the idea of being ready for a Blizzard!!! What kind of extra preperation do you do for large storms like this?

I am at a self care barn and we usually all take turns doing the work. Thankfully the barn owner lives on property and when travel is going to downright dangerous they will take care of feeding and watering the horses for us until it is safe to get out there ourselves. I know I will probably put extra bedding in my stall in case we can't get out to clean and an extra water bucket. Also have extra meals measured out and bagged for feeding. Barn owner will make sure to bring in plenty of hay from the hay barn. Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Plans are in place for water supply if we lose power up there since water is supplied by a well. If worse comes to worse I can bring water in jugs from home since I am on city water (been there done that before)

We got lucky last year and most of this year with a fairly mild winter but I think our luck may have run out with this one!
    Last edited by LoriO; Feb. 7, 2013, 11:36 PM. Reason: edited title line
    "You are under arrest for operating your mouth under the influence of
    ignorance!" Officer Beck

Hi Lori!
    I think you've just about got it done. We are on self-care as well. I clean the stall and put extra bedding and deodorizer down, pre-bag enough meals to get into Sunday morning, fill the buckets to the top, hay the stall heavy, leave extra hay for Saturday outside of the stall, and leave a bucket of water outside of the stall in case we lose power.

If we lose power the BO brings in a generator from home to run the water a few times during the day. Our barn fills clean trash cans with water during those times so folks can still refill their buckets when the generator goes back to the house. I haul warm water in from home in 5 gallon containers I got at home depot.

Don't forget to turn your refrigerator/freezer up at home to its coldest settings and do all of the home prep as well.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

My prep was just making sure my gas and diesel cans are all full for running the tractors and generator. No need to check the generator since our power flips off if a squirrel farts, so it was run just last week for a few hours.
      Picked up extra hay yesterday, mainly so I don't have to wait for my hay guy to plow out before I pick it up again. Have bedding.
      Unfortunate part for me...today I have to grocery shop. Just normal weekly shopping. The timing sucks on it since the store will be packed with panicky people. Bright side: I don't need bread, eggs or milk! Heaven knows those won't be found in state by noon, LOL!
      This afternoon I'm trailering an extra tractor over to my vet's place, she doesn't have one yet and could use it for snow clearing for the barns/horses.
      Oh, and I'm stocked up on bird food, LOL!
      You jump in the saddle,
      Hold onto the bridle!
      Jump in the line!
      ...Belefonte

Comment

Well, I am going to fill up the gas cans for the generator at home and lay in an extra supply of cat food today after work. My horse is boarded, I am taking over and filling a second bucket for his stall. We have people who live on site so I am not worried about his food or bedding. Filling up trash cans at the barn is an awesome idea, I am going to mention it and take an empty trash can and some other large containers over this afternoon. Our barn's water is also on a well and if they lose power the BO will bring a generator over once a day to fill buckets - this has happened before. I can also truck water over to the barn as we are on city water at home. Have done this before.

In Western Mass where I am they are predicting up to 2 feet. I love a good snowstorm as long as the barn doesn't lose power. My horse is literally 5 minutes away from home so I can get there to check on him - both of our vehicles are all wheel drive.
        What's wrong with you?? Your cheese done slid off its cracker?!?!

Comment

Oliverreed, if the trash cans need cleaning, you can line them with garbage bags sized for the can, flip the top pf the bag over the lip of the can, and fill the can with water. This also works for transporting water in buckets. Line with an appropriate liner, fill, and tie them off.

MistyBlue, good luck with the shopping. As of noon there were no parking spaces left at the local Stop & Shop. Heard about it from a gal at the grain store who only wanted to get a can of beans. No beans for her!
          "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits." Albert Einstein

http://s1098.photobucket.com/albums/...2011%20Photos/

Comment

I cheated on the grocery shopping. I had a 9 am doc appointment and I went *before* that. It was just starting to get busy when I left there.

Now I'm just sitting around waiting for a friend to call back or stop by so we can use his trailer to move one of my tractors to a different location before the snow tomorrow.

Other than that, we're all set here. Oh, well my only other chore is keeping Mr Blue calm. I have NO idea why he panics for every snowfall.

But I have unread books, new word puzzle books and a couple chickens for the crockpot. Plus all the baking stuff is ready to go.
            You jump in the saddle,
            Hold onto the bridle!
            Jump in the line!
            ...Belefonte

Comment

I am so looking forward to riding in the snow! Probably Sunday...
              You have to have experiences to gain experience.

1998 Morgan mare Mythic Feronia "More Valley Girl Than Girl Scout!"

Comment

I am so NOT looking forward to soaking hay for my pony with a bunch of snow to walk through...! I'll have to stockpile some soaked hay, and hope we don't get as much as everybody else will! At least I know my mare loves lots of snow!
                "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Comment

Well school was cancelled, so that's helpful. (I'm a teacher). Unfortunatly over the last 6 years, since the ice storm of 08, I've been without power multiple times for several days at a time, and I'm on a well with a septic. So I fill a lot of buckets and stuff with water. I have a pond on the property, so if I get desperate for toilet flushing water I can go fill a bucket from the pond, as long as I can break the ice. Several years ago I used a bucket that I had soaked beet pulp with earlier that day. There were beet pulp scraps in my toilet

Comment

Ugh. Just talked to BO who was putting my expensive, hot, can't be alone mare out for the duration with a run in. She's quite possibly got rocks in her head and would stand (or run in place) in the middle of the paddock screaming OMGOMGWINDWINDWIND. Meanwhile, she had the Morgan inside the barn-the 17 year old who lived outside-never had a stall-for more than half his life. He who has a yak coat and is very smart and hardy.

Yeah, she swapped those 2.

NOT looking forward to the WHOOSH of snow sliding of the indoor in the week to come

Comment

The national news is calling that a possible snowmaggedon, with places up to 2', that is feet of snow.

We are getting a little blizzard Tuesday, from 4" to 9" possible for us, that generally does close I-40 down for a day or so, the police tired of rescuing stuck and stranded people there right and left every snow event if they don't.

Hope yours is not very bad and will clear soon after. Stay safe.

Comment

Local CT weather report right now is saying we can get from 1 to possibly 3 FEET in the Quiet Corner-NE CT...

I'm on the coast, so a bit of sleet mixed in here and there, just to make things extra pleasant

I like a nice fluffy 6 INCH snowfall...on Christmas Eve...that melts on Dec. 26th

But the barn is ready, moved anything from the yard that can blow away (50 mph winds-hooray!), hubby has the plows ready. He does a few large parking lots, and any snowfall over 6" is then charged by the inch....we should have some nice spending money for our trip to AZ in April with the checks that come in

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                          The national news is calling that a possible snowmaggedon, with places up to 2', that is feet of snow.

We are getting a little blizzard Tuesday, from 4" to 9" possible for us, that generally does close I-40 down for a day or so, the police tired of rescuing stuck and stranded people there right and left every snow event if they don't.

Hope yours is not very bad and will clear soon after. Stay safe.
                          Southern drivers + snow on the road = hilarity ensues

Comment

Originally posted by MistyBlue View Post
                            I cheated on the grocery shopping. I had a 9 am doc appointment and I went *before* that. It was just starting to get busy when I left there.
                            Were the bread and milk aisles empty then?

French toast for everyone!

Comment

If you guys could, please log in after the storm and let us know how much you got. Hopefully no one loses power, but it looks to be quite the storm/blizzard coming at you.

Should I start a new thread for posting snow amounts? or just come to this one?
                              The virtual "woodshed" seems the only remedy for willful fools .

Comment

I'm in Western MA (the Berkshires) and am not really looking forward to this one. Just not feeling it! Thankfully I live over the barn where I board my mare, so checking on her won't be an issue, but we're on well water so I'll have to stockpile water. I also have a job interview at 10:30 tomorrow; hoping the weather isn't too bad by that point.
                                Dapplebay - home of original equestrian clothing and accessories.

Comment

Have you always needed a generator in the NE? We never had one before we moved here...and since living here we have used the generator A TON!

Comment

Originally posted by showidaho View Post
                                    Have you always needed a generator in the NE? We never had one before we moved here...and since living here we have used the generator A TON!
                                    I think the key difference is that out west (and by that I mean from the Great Plains on west), so much of the electrical infrastructure is underground that major wind, ice, and snow does not disrupt power like it does east of the Mississippi where so much more of the distribution network is still on poles.

I moved to Ohio from Kansas and was shocked to see so many phone and electrical lines on rickety wooden poles and with tree branches everywhere. Hardly ever saw one in KS.

Comment

Well, just got in a little bit ago from buying provisions The grocery was busy, but nothing like it was Sunday. Still don't quite understand this french toast tradition. This is my first big storm (the snow after Christmas was just pretty)...luckily my horse is still in FL, so no worries there. I figure I'm totally prepared so it will blow right by...that's what hurricanes do afterall

Comment

Were the bread and milk aisles empty then?

French toast for everyone!
                                        LOL, the bread aisle was close to bare. And absolutely no English Muffins...those were buy one, get one free. I didn't even try to get near the milk!

And yeah, New England is a very very heavily treed area with rickety poles for our above ground power. And the states, towns and power companies spend a fortune keeping branches pruned constantly because all of our lines travel *through* branches. Heavy snow or a frisky squirrel means the power goes out.

But they don't want to spend a dime putting the power underground. Jerks.

ShowIdaho...I'm always amazed at how most horse properties do not have generators. I get that they're not cheap, but they're also not ridiculous in cost either. Even if it's just one to run the well pump, when you have horses you *need* water. And that's not water you go buy in bottles. You can get a generator large enough for a well pump and furnace only (to keep pipes from bursting) and have the hookups professionally done for less than a week long show or a nice saddle. And around here it's not one of those "IF we lose power" but more of a "when" and for how long. Nobody ever thinks a generator is worth the cost until they lose power, LOL! They're worth every penny and then some just to have the peace of mind when you hear of tough weather coming.
                                        You jump in the saddle,
                                        Hold onto the bridle!
                                        Jump in the line!
                                        ...Belefonte

Comment

Working...
                                        X