• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Bill to ban NYC carriages in state committee - NEED YOUR HELP/UPDATE/Post#218

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Originally posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Not that you read anything except the posts that support your BUSINESS. I post exactly what my problem is, I am a straight shooter and your constant advertising for carriage horses does not belong on a public BB.

But gee, maybe I should post about how COTH members who might be having problems operating their businesses might want to PM me, I can get a contract to you and help you out with operations. I can help you with compliance issues with regulators. Just e-mail me....or post and tell me how I might be able to help your business with regulations.
    Oh, and two more things -- 1) I have no idea what the second half of your post means and 2) how do you know what posts I read here?
    VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC

https://www.facebook.com/pages/The-F...ref=ts&fref=ts

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
      can you get NYCLASS off her back?

They have regulations.
      A lot of them....
      Sorry for being thick, Ala, but can you explain to me what the latter half of her post even means? I read it three times, and still do not understand....

And thank you for passing the info on to your Buffalo bud

Comment

Originally posted by michaleenflynn View Post
        Sorry for being thick, Ala, but can you explain to me what the latter half of her post even means? I read it three times, and still do not understand....

And thank you for passing the info on to your Buffalo bud
        She wants to give you regulations... I think....not entirely sure, but I think she was offering business advice, the things she can do for you...

Sooo, can she rope and hogtie our Lisbet?
        Originally posted by BigMama1
        Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
        GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Originally posted by michaleenflynn View Post
          Ah, I see - so I assume you also register your outrage every time a stable owner posts about a situation with a boarder, or with local laws, etc, since it is their business? Or people who lease their horses? I don't know, since I don't stalk you all over the board to see what you are posting. I also did not know this board was only for people for whom horses are a hobby. I guess if one of the top celeb equestrians - who make quite a bit of money from their horses, way more than I do - I guess if they posted, you would tell them the same?
          Your "job" is to promote the carriage horse industry which is what you do on this board. You cannot compare yourself with a BO when you request that COTH members advocate for your business. If a barn owner posted that they wanted COTH members to write to government representatives in favor of their business, I would have a problem. I have no problem with COTH members voicing their opinions on the carriage industry, but you are "VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC" and your "opinion " is tainted by your job. You come on this public BB to promote your business, not to speak of interactions you have had, you actively solicit COTH members to advocate for your business, the carriage industry.

Futhermore you do not provide anything but ridicule to anyone with an opposing view point. It is a "gang mentality" on this public board that you promote. I have no respect for you and if the carriage industry needs to operate on such terms to survive , then the carriage industry deserves the public perception of being hostile to horses. You and your inability to handle criticism of your industry is a telling indicator of the level of insecurity you have of the business you promote.

Comment

Your "job" is to promote the carriage horse industry which is what you do on this board. You cannot compare yourself with a BO when you request that COTH members advocate for your business. If a barn owner posted that they wanted COTH members to write to government representatives in favor of their business, I would have a problem. I have no problem with COTH members voicing their opinions on the carriage industry, but you are "VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC" and your "opinion " is tainted by your job. You come on this public BB to promote your business, not to speak of interactions you have had, you actively solicit COTH members to advocate for your business, the carriage industry.

Futhermore you do not provide anything but ridicule to anyone with an opposing view point. It is a "gang mentality" on this public board that you promote. I have no respect for you and if the carriage industry needs to operate on such terms to survive , then the carriage industry deserves the public perception of being hostile to horses. You and your inability to handle criticism of your industry is a telling indicator of the level of insecurity you have of the business you promote.
            cage the fruit bat, step away from the box wine!

Seriously!
            What is wrong with you?

Even I get the wording of the bill they are up against.

One has to be numb or stoned to sweep that under the rug!
            Newsflash: This WILL come back to bite you if you don't fight it!
            It is called precedence. Beats smart laws any day.

And there are things you do with your horse somebody does not agree with.

BTW, there are trainers here, as well as barn owners. Some breeders.
            There are a lot of people on COTH actively promoting their business.

And by all means. You stalking her is not putting her in a bad light.
            How about this: put her on your ignore list. You don't have to read a thing she says and we don't have to laugh at you when you don't stalk her anymore.
            Originally posted by BigMama1
            Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
            GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
              cage the fruit bat, step away from the box wine!

Seriously!
              What is wrong with you?

Even I get the wording of the bill they are up against.

One has to be numb or stoned to sweep that under the rug!
              Newsflash: This WILL come back to bite you if you don't fight it!
              It is called precedence. Beats smart laws any day.

And there are things you do with your horse somebody does not agree with.

BTW, there are trainers here, as well as barn owners. Some breeders.
              There are a lot of people on COTH actively promoting their business.

And by all means. You stalking her is not putting her in a bad light.
              How about this: put her on your ignore list. You don't have to read a thing she says and we don't have to laugh at you when you don't stalk her anymore.
              Wow, I rest my case about the gang mentality and ridicule on this board when it comes to the carriage horse industry. Amazing that there is only one opinion and the rest need to "ignore the issue" .

Comment

So SV would you be "happier" if the requests for support were done by those of us not in the business ?

I think your interpretation is wrong. I would wager if the HSUS woke up tomorrow and decided to go to war on horse breeders. Oh wait nvm. When it reaches such a point that bills regulating or banning such practices come to fruition do you not think that EVERY breeder on our sport horse breeding forum will be there rallying to negate that indoctrination of idiocy?

By the way SV you don't come across as creditable in your complaints when you make it your personal vendetta to make stupid remarks EVERY time Eva posts about ANY subject . You might want to tone that back .. be more selective perhaps it will give your complaining more weight.
                "I would not beleive her if her tongue came notorized"

Comment

Originally posted by Lynnwood View Post
                  So SV would you be "happier" if the requests for support were done by those of us not in the business ?

I think your interpretation is wrong. I would wager if the HSUS woke up tomorrow and decided to go to war on horse breeders. Oh wait nvm. When it reaches such a point that bills regulating or banning such practices come to fruition do you not think that EVERY breeder on our sport horse breeding forum will be there rallying to negate that indoctrination of idiocy?

By the way SV you don't come across as creditable in your complaints when you make it your personal vendetta to make stupid remarks EVERY time Eva posts about ANY subject . You might want to tone that back .. be more selective perhaps it will give your complaining more weight.
                  Wow, more ridicule and disparaging of a poster who dares to question the promoter of the carriage horse industry. Must be nice to have a public BB with your own minions. Makes me question an industry even more when other opinions are met with such hostility. The carriage industry seems to rely on ridicule of the opposition, I guess the facts would never support their position since they are not used to promote their industry, just ridicule of anyone who questions their business.

Comment

Your reading comprehension is lacking. SV would you be happier if the requests for help came from persons outside the industry ?

Perhaps I am giving you to much credit .. is E.Forel a childhood buddy , perhaps paying you , or are you simply just that miserable ?

Comment

Legitimate businesses operates under the glare of lights and questions. Clearly the NYC Carriage Horse Industry does not operate under any questions and prefers that people not question their business and follow lock step with the VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC in their support of the business.

Seems that there is much to hide and quite frankly, these pro carriage horse industry posts tell me many things about an insecure industry that deserves the public hostility.

Comment

Wow, I rest my case about the gang mentality and ridicule on this board when it comes to the carriage horse industry. Amazing that there is only one opinion and the rest need to "ignore the issue" .
                        This vendetta you appear to have is petty and ridiculous, "Stolen Virtue" (apprpriate name as clearly, you have none).

If you have a problem with a horse pro posting about an issue that potentially has ripple effects for ALL horse owners, that is your personal problem. You can always try bringing that problem to a board administrator. (Good luck!) But to pop up on every thread in which Michaeleen Flynn appears and whine about a clear non-issue, well, you are just BEGGING for ridicule. It's called "just consequences" for one's actions.

The overwhelming balance of commenters, myself included, greatly appreciate the heads-up and are delighted to have the opportunity to defend against a spiteful, unwarranted, and intrusive attack on a legitimate and legal equine activity that has an extensive number of benefits for horses and humans, and no significant down side. Fail to defend against this, let the carriage horses of NYC be driven out, and who's next? It'll only be a matter of time before they get to YOU.

Thanks, but I will take PRINCIPLE over PETTINESS any day. And the prinicple here is defending the rights of all horse owners everywhere to engage in legal enterprise with their animals AND to be safe from unlawful seizure of private property.

It's nobody's fault but your own if you cannot see that huge forest through the feeble and petty trees of your own planting.

Comment

Legitimate businesses operates under the glare of lights and questions. Clearly the NYC Carriage Horse Industry does not operate under any questions and prefers that people not question their business and follow lock step with the VP Horse & Carriage Association of NYC in their support of the business.

Seems that there is much to hide and quite frankly, these pro carriage horse industry posts tell me many things about an insecure industry that deserves the public hostility.
                          So wait http://img88.imageshack.us/img88/581...4531290826.jpg ??

No really where have you "questioned" their business practices ? The only question you have brought up is that you think she is advertising by asking for help. When that was rebuked ( she is not promoting business or soliciting or offering rides) your defense is the frail "don't gang up on me".

I think you have some personal deep seated issues that go far beyond carriage horses and their VP. Maybe a nice peaceful carriage ride through Central Park would allow you some time to relax and release that inner turmoil.

Comment

Ok, that is just rank idiocy. You name me a SINGLE equine business that is more closely regulated than the horse and carriages of NYC. Just ONE that takes place in even HALF the "glare of lights and questions" as this one, which operates right out in public in arguably THE biggest spotlight in the world.

You won't, because you can't.

Your above statement is patently ridiculous and completely unfounded. And I think it is high time a complaint was lodged against YOU with those responsible for the moderation of this board. Consider it done.

Comment

• Original Poster

That is total garbage, and thanks to COTH archives, anybody can look up the HOURS I have spent fielding questions, providing info and proof, inviting people to come see for themselves, etc.

BTW, just HOW does one "hide" on 59th St in NYC? We are an open book.

What is it that I can help you with?

Comment

I understand how you feel and have been turned off by the OP's attitude/tone towards others on here with different opinions at times. However I do understand the sense of exasperation/desperation that being unfairly attacked by non horsey critics, that threaten not only your livelyhood, but the well being of horses, would make someone react that way.
                                If you try not to let the tone/attitude of the messenger get to you, and instead realize that voting against the bill is truly much better for the horses, and the horse industry in general, then maybe that would make it easier to swallow.

Comment

Now on this...I disagree with you. They have actually been excruciatingly open. They get inspected regularly, they conduct business on city streets with thousands of witnesses, many dying for a chance to show some infraction, or even make one up (a horse's chestnuts are "Cancerous tumors!" OMG, They're working a horse with cancerous tumors on his legs! A horse resting a hind hoof is apparently "Crippled"). They have invited people to tour the horse's stables. They are VERY open.

Comment

Not that you read anything except the posts that support your BUSINESS. I post exactly what my problem is, I am a straight shooter and your constant advertising for carriage horses does not belong on a public BB.

But gee, maybe I should post about how COTH members who might be having problems operating their businesses might want to PM me, I can get a contract to you and help you out with operations. I can help you with compliance issues with regulators. Just e-mail me....or post and tell me how I might be able to help your business with regulations.
                                    That is the most absurd post I have seen yet trying to derail a legitimate thread about something that clearly affects all that have horses.

Comment

Just ignore the troll, don't give her any attention and let's get back to this topic.

This bill would have long term ramifications if passed, it is basically allowing the state to seize healthy and well cared for horses because SOME people don't like the fact that they have to work for a living and should be frolicking in green pastures and NEVER have to work a single day for the rest of their lives and never to be resold (ie: they are currently enslaved and once they have "freedom" they are not to be considered property and should not have to labor for human benefit).

If this passes, it will put hundreds of people out of work: owners, operators, grooms, etc.

Horsepeople need to see the writing on the wall....if NYC passes this, then this is lighting a fire for all of the nutso Animal Rights people. What will they not like next? Horse racing.....eventing.....jumping.....barrel racing....?

The Radical Animal Rights Activists are "testing the water" with this bill because it is easy to get the average New Yorker with no horse knowledge to believe the lies they spread so it is easy to get some "fuel" to their endeavors. If this passes, they will then try for another small industry using this bill as precedence.

As they start eliminating horse activities and seizing horses from owners, they will soon come after your horse too.

Their ultimate goal is not the elimination of the carriage horse industry, they want to "free all enslaved" horses.
                                      Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
                                      Bernard M. Baruch

Comment

Also, what do you think they mean by this verbiage?

"WILL BE CARED FOR HUMANELY FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE HORSE'S NATURAL LIFE."

Do you think this gives them leeway to euthanize perfectly healthy horses if they cannot find a home or a "sanctuary" to take them?
                                        Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
                                        Bernard M. Baruch

Comment

Totally confused by SV's breakdown. I clearly do not read the same way SV does because I do not see any of these posts as advertisements for services. Heck, I am guessing very few of COTH membership live in NYC to take advantage of what the OP does for a living.

SV, just so you know, I live in the heavily regulated state of NY. I am glad people like the OP are out there letting us know what our state is up to this time. I certainly do not have time to keep track of all this stuff. It is helpful when someone lets us all know what they have found out.

Sending emails to my representatives.

Comment

Working...
                                          X