• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Bill to ban NYC carriages in state committee - NEED YOUR HELP/UPDATE/Post#218

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Lynnwood View Post
    I agree Laura call it a moment of "you've got to be kidding me" frustration.

Post 13 of this thread, and then the resulting off topic debate for 13 pages on weather we are meanie heads ..finally back on track and then the very next NOT even carriage related post McFlynn makes and we are right back to the same square.

I can say ^^^ using SV as an example THAT is the very nonsense minus the vulgarity , physical assault and pervasiveness of what the industry deals with daily.
    Oh my, having to reads posts that don't agree with your pro-carriages opinions must be so exhausting. Now THAT is funny ! "Meanie heads" no just name calling , rude, posters who are threatened anytime a poster is not pro-carriage. I guess we all can see how difficult it is for you and the other pro-carriage minions to live in this world of differing opinions. Too funny !

Comment

• SV, I already defended you, but clearly you are unable to give it up. I'm done. Sigh.

Comment

• Originally posted by michaleenflynn View Post
        Just don't point them back toward the passengers on the night shift
        Originally posted by Lynnwood View Post
        The carriage horse version of Candid Camera. Can you imagine besides the Antis what else those cameras would catch in NYC ;p
        LOL, I had not even considered the back seat....

I need to go out more!

Comment

• SV..what is your solution? Do you agree with the proposed taking of the horses with no recourse or financial renumeration? Where are these sactuaries that are going to assume responsibility? Have you inspected their facilities and checked out their financial viability?

Since this is promoted by the land developer, perhaps he should be held financially accountable. Posting a million dollar bond and also provoding twenty years of care up front would give him the result he wants. According to dEFHR it takes $2500 to $3500 PER MONTH PER HORSE to "properly" care for them.

That is only $8,400,000 per year for 200 horses 210 MILLION for twenty five years of care (average lifespan)

How about those against (the abusive group in NYC and the developer ) put up the money first..

Before anyone disputes the $3500.00 per month per horse..that comes from dEFHR..and we all know..they wouldn't lie.
          The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Everyone needs to decide what they want for their own state and communities. I have stated this before....Having random people on COTH & facebook advocating for local (inclusive of state) businesses is not right.

Clear enough ?

Comment

• Originally posted by stolen virtue View Post
              Everyone needs to decide what they want for their own state and communities. I have stated this before....Having random people on COTH & facebook advocating for local (inclusive of state) businesses is not right.

Clear enough ?
              She's not advertising.

Comment

• I love the fact SV says everyone is calling him/her names but still calls everyone else 'minions'.

Oh, and while I'm at it, coming up, it seems to move a horse anywhere it has to be chipped and all paperwork in hand?? So, there is another layer of 'to-do' to add on to the price.

A long time ago, on one of 'their' pages, I asked who was going to step up to take care of the horses. The HSUS (I'm pretty sure it was them) said they had money in place to take care of all the horses...forever. Deep pockets, them have.
                GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

• This is about hunting, but shows HSUS's methods and other AR groups watch and learn..

One step at a time...

http://protecttheharvest.com/hsus-at...fox-preserves/

HSUS Attacks Hunters and Property Rights in Virginia, Trying to Outlaw Fox Preserves

Posted on February 7, 2013 by info@protecttheharvest.com
                  “We are going to use the ballot box and the democratic process to stop all hunting in the United States… We will take it species by species until all hunting is stopped in California. Then we will take it state by state.” Full Cry Magazine, Oct. 1, 1990

Those were the words of Wayne Pacelle, the current CEO of the Humane Society of the United States (HSUS). Add 20 years, a slick black suit, a bigger budget, and his intentions are still the same. While leading the nation’s largest animal rights group, Pacelle has made it a top goal to target and ban certain hunting practices.

HSUS has worked to eliminate the traditions of American sportsmen in several states across the nation. Most recently, HSUS supported banning the practice of using hunting dogs to hunt bears and bobcats in California. In 2006, they successfully defeated a ballot measure that would have returned to Michigan hunters, the right to hunt mourning doves.

HSUS knows an attempt to completely ban hunting would never work, politically. Instead, their idea is to label and isolate specific practices within hunting to create emotional media attention to mislead voters, while ignoring scientific facts and conservation needs. Every time a law gets passed to eliminate specific hunting practices, HSUS gets closer and closer to their ultimate goal – the elimination of all hunting.

When it comes to HSUS and Wayne Pacelle, we think Laura Numeroff said it best, in her popular 1985 children’s book:

‘If you give a mouse a cookie. He’s going to ask for a glass of milk.’

Pacelle wrote this entry in his online blog after HSUS claimed victory over banning the use of dogs while hunting bears and bobcats in California,

“It’s especially sweet for me because I’ve been wishing for this day now for 20 years, since I first starting working on this issue as a very young man in 1989. It’s been a long time coming, but it shows that persistence pays off.” Pacelle’s Blog Post, Sept. 26, 2012

Now, they have moved on to the backyard of their Washington D.C. headquarters and are promoting anti-hunting legislation in the state of Virginia. Senate Bill (SB) 1280 was written to outlaw fox preserves and ban the construction of certain types of pens that might be used for foxhound training. This bill attempts to dictate what Virginia citizens can and cannot build on their own private property, calling into question the constitutionality of the bill.

Virginia State Senator Dave Marsden is the sponsor of HSUS-backed SB 1280. In December 2012, Senator Marsden received the legislator of the year award from HSUS. His close working relationship with HSUS is no secret. Upon receiving the award, he said, “I am proud to stand with HSUS in their efforts.” With Senator Marsden as HSUS’s point man in the Virginia Senate, SB 1280 recently passed on a 27-16 vote and will now be sent to the Virginia House of Delegates for their consideration.

HSUS is targeting Virginia’s fox preserves as a way to gather momentum and support. Their patterns are predictable. Michigan hunters’ first battle with HSUS was in 2006, and now the animal rights group is back with a new set of hunting restrictions. If HSUS is successful in Virginia, it just opens the doors for a future, more aggressive, assault. They will not stop until their radical agenda has truly been spread from “state to state.”

You may be thinking to yourself, “I don’t live in Virginia. How does this affect me?”

HSUS may not be in your state at the moment, but make no mistake; they are just around the corner. HSUS’s attack on Virginia hunters is an attack on all American hunters.

If you would like to help defend America’s hunters and encourage the Virginia House of Delegates to stand strong for individual liberty and property rights you can contact the chair of the Agriculture Chesapeake and Natural Resources,

Beverly J. Sherwood:

Capitol Office Phone: (804) 698-1029

Email Address: DelBSherwood@house.virginia.gov

This entry was posted in HSUS and tagged American Hunters, American Sportsmen, animal rights, california, Dave Marsden, fox preserves, HSUS, Humane Society of the United States, hunting, right to hunt, SB 1280, Virginia, Wayne Pacelle by info@protecttheharvest.com. Bookmark the permalink.
                  " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers. Wood Routed Stall and Farm Signs
                  http://www.bluemooncustomsigns.com

Comment

• "minion" favored person, follower

That describes the posters telling NYC Carriage Industry VP that they support the cause of the pro-carriage organization. Not "name calling" description of actions.

But again anyone who disagrees must defend any word posted.

Care to justify "troll", "stupid" and the lovely sentiment "go canoe something" ?

Comment

"minion" favored person, follower

That describes the posters telling NYC Carriage Industry VP that they support the cause of the pro-carriage organization. Not "name calling" description of actions.

But again anyone who disagrees must defend any word posted.

Care to justify "troll", "stupid" and the lovely sentiment "go canoe something" ?
                      you forgot 'get drunk'
                      keep it straight, will you.

However. this may come as a shock to you: This is not about you.

Comment

• Hey, you said you were a consultant. Isn't that somehow advertising?? You say you're in CA, the ban on bear hunting you liked. Somehow there is a link? Hmmm...pretty far fetched there, I admit, just seems odd.
                        GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

• SV..what would be your solution ? Do you agree that the horses must be GIVEN? no money exchanged? Do you think the sanctuary and the individual wanting to "get the land" should pay up front to make sure the money is there? I would think that if you think carriage is cruel, you would also agree that a bankrupt sanctuary sending the horses to an unknwon fate would be equally cruel.

I am interested in YOUR solurtion...
                          The Elephant in the room

Comment

• I suspect SV has a personal vendetta against a couple of people on this thread.

Comment

• My letter:

I write to ask you to oppose S667-2013. I am a resident of Indiana, a lifelong horsewoman and have worked with commercial carriage horses since 1988, in Philadelphia, Cincinnati and Indiana. There are several aspects of this bill which are deeply troubling, most notably section 4 concerning the disposition of licensed carriage horses.

While it is reasonable to have regulations concerning the transfer of ownership of a licensed horse between business owners both operating under NYC regulations, setting a given amount of time for an agency to be notified of a change in information connected to an already licensed horse. There is no reason why any agency should have jurisdiction about the transfer of ownership of a horse or have access to private information about any future owner of that animal. These horses are private property; they have a value, both as an individual, and an investment. The horse’s owner is the only person who has a right and responsibility to transfer ownership to who they choose and on what terms as long as those uses are legal. If it is legal for any horseman in New York State to sell a horse without regulation, it is unconstitutional to target only owners, or future owners, of licensed carriage horses for these restrictions.

We do not make laws which don’t apply to or protect all people equally. It is un-American to devalue the personal investment in these highly trained horses by mandating that they only go to sanctuaries or homes where they are pasture pets- that using them for the purposes they were bred and trained would not only be illegal, but inhumane. This bill proposes to define what is a “humane manner” to transfer ownership of a horse and by omission- it deems all other methods and homes inhumane.

If a given activity is legal, for example- to plow a garden with a horse, it should not be illegal to sell a horse to a person who intends to plow a garden with him. If plowing a garden is such a troublesome occupation - then plowing gardens with horses must be outlawed. How can garden plowing, and any and every other use of a horse, remain legal if it is written into legislation that it is inhumane?

If passed , section 4 of S667-2013 deems virtually all horse use inhumane while at the same time the state would be overseeing and profiting from race tracks and using horses in Police and Park service. Will we no longer see any horses pulling floats in Parades, will the plow horses at the living history farms also be seized and never again allowed to work? There are only about 200 carriage horses in New York City, but New York State is home to a population of about 15,000 Amish people- will they be regulated as well? What possible justification could the Senate have to place such restrictions on such a very small portion of the horse owners of New York, while at the same time- deeming virtually all productive, agricultural, educational and recreational use of horses to be inhumane.

If the state determines that they have the right to mandate the seizure and disuse of these privately owned and well trained horses, is that the precedent? - The state could mandate that no horse is ever used for its bred purpose or training?

Comment

• Originally posted by goneriding24 View Post
                                Hey, you said you were a consultant. Isn't that somehow advertising?? You say you're in CA, the ban on bear hunting you liked. Somehow there is a link? Hmmm...pretty far fetched there, I admit, just seems odd.
                                That was my point, I should start threads on a public board where I ask people from all over to support my business. Which is what the VP of the NYC Carriage Industry does on a regular basis.

No, I don't benefit from shooting treed animals nor do I benefit from Not shooting treed animals in my line of work. You brought up new Cal. hunting laws that were somehow a "taking of people's rights" to use dogs in hunting. I explained what the law actaully was for, the banning of hunting with "packs of dogs for bear and bobcat" since the packs are trained to chase the bears and bobcats and usually tree the animal so that the hunter can walk over and shoot the treed animal. I don't see it as taking away the right to hunt with dogs. Many people still do for other animals.

Comment

That was my point, I should start threads on a public board where I ask people from all over to support my business. Which is what the VP of the NYC Carriage Industry does on a regular basis.

No, I don't benefit from shooting treed animals nor do I benefit from Not shooting treed animals in my line of work. You brought up new Cal. hunting laws that were somehow a "taking of people's rights" to use dogs in hunting. I explained what the law actaully was for, the banning of hunting with "packs of dogs for bear and bobcat" since the packs are trained to chase the bears and bobcats and usually tree the animal so that the hunter can walk over and shoot the treed animal. I don't see it as taking away the right to hunt with dogs. Many people still do for other animals.
                                  NO!!! You MISS the point. She is not saying support MY carriage company Carriages Rides in the Park, she is asking for support of the HORSE and carriage business. For you to start a post about your business you would have to say SUPPORT all Consultants in NYC or in your case San Francisco. Big difference.. So Sorry for your misunderstanding...
                                  " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers. Wood Routed Stall and Farm Signs
                                  http://www.bluemooncustomsigns.com

Comment

• Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                                    SV..what would be your solution ? Do you agree that the horses must be GIVEN? no money exchanged? Do you think the sanctuary and the individual wanting to "get the land" should pay up front to make sure the money is there? I would think that if you think carriage is cruel, you would also agree that a bankrupt sanctuary sending the horses to an unknwon fate would be equally cruel.

I am interested in YOUR solurtion...
                                    Typically for uses (usually commercial or industrial) that use is still allowed but the owners cannot expand their use and new businesses cannot be allowed. So the use continues but is not expanded. Sometimes there is a time frame of allowing the use for say another 10 years and then closing the business. That is a typical way to handle "non-conforming uses" and if I were advocating for a ban on the carriage horses that is how I would expect the business owners to be treated-like other business owners. And yes, if another entity wanted the land, payment of fair market value would be required. This is sometimes harder to do when the use is no longer permitted (the value of the business typically goes down) but in NYC the value should hold since all urban land is of high value.

Comment

• Stolen Virtue. We get it, loud and clear. You don't like working carriage horses. Now you really are just trolling. I've reported you, I suggest everyone else does the same.

Comment

• Laura feel free to report anything. Everyone has a right to their own opinions. apparently even to say "go canoe something "...

Comment

• As we posted before, avoid the personal commentary -- as in, there was some inappropriate personal commentary earlier in this thread, please avoid it going forward. Hope that clears things up.

As stated before, this thread is not in violation of our posting policies, so please stop further debate regarding whether or not it is. We allow discussion of legislation and other issues affecting various segments of the equine industry.

Thanks,
                                          Mod 1

Comment

Working...
                                          X