• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Am I crazy? Or anti-social? Or what?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pfft, AMATEUR! I go to the barn at night when I know the arena will be empty, and will groom for a really long time to stall if I see a group about to hit the trails, so I don't get asked to go with.

I like talkin to the folks at my barn, but I feel the same way. When I'm in the saddle, I don't want to chitchat or visit with others. It's time for JUST me and my mare.

The only time I really enjoy going out with others is with my family. Also, my mum's horse and my horse are BFFs!!!! so they enjoy going out together.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

I prefer that too. There is a guy at my stable who has latched on to me for whatever reason and when he's around and I'm riding, he thinks that walking along next to me and chatting is a good idea. It makes me so mad, and I constantly say thing like "I really have to work on this" but he thinks that since I'm "just walking" it's not a big deal and I can socialize. Arrrgggh. This just happened again last week.

Comment

I have sort of the opposite problem. I've always had my horses at work with me. And in my free time, I had a VERY hard time being able to or in one place, allowed to have my own time to do my thing. I always had to be open to help the rest and rarely got enough time to concentrate on my own horse the way I'd have liked. If we took a group ride, I was the responsible one for the group. Sometimes it's nice just to hack out but that never happened.

That got to be a problem when riding, what was my solace at one time, became just another thing I had to do in a day. ANd when I started getting bitter about it, that's when I knew I had to make a change. I still have a hard time relaxing in my own company when I have the occassion but it's not nearly as bad.

Comment

I'm a pretty social person, I have a solid group of friends, I like being around people - but I like being left alone at the barn. I don't know why really, maybe it's because I spend both my jobs (full-time office job and part-time retail) dealing with people, and since I work 7 days a week, I deal with people EVERY DAY. At the end of a long work day, what I really want is to unwind with my horse, not socialize with other boarders. I've also spent the last 15 years in huge busy boarding/lesson/show barns where having the ring to yourself only happens once in a blue moon. A couple weeks ago I moved to a teeny private barn with a few other boarders. I've ridden with others a couple times, but mainly I've been there alone. I LOVE IT!!!

anabug - I had a woman like that at my last barn. I swear she somehow knew my schedule and would purposely come out when I was there. She'd corner me in the tack room and yak my ear off. I'd tell her I had to leave, running late, and she'd just ignore me and keep talking. Ooooooh so irritating!

Comment

Hah! We have one of those at our barn. As rude as it sounds, sometimes you just have to excuse yourself and walk away.

Comment

Alot of the times I would prefer to ride in a group. Especially for trail rides and stuff like that. And jumping is fun when your in a group. But dressage is nice to be alone for.

The problem is my mare. She's not a fan of others invading her bubble but normally when we go out in groups I can get her to behave as long as she can think she's the alpha in the group. Ah, mares....

Comment

Originally posted by Gray Horse H/J View Post

anabug - I had a woman like that at my last barn. I swear she somehow knew my schedule and would purposely come out when I was there. She'd corner me in the tack room and yak my ear off. I'd tell her I had to leave, running late, and she'd just ignore me and keep talking. Ooooooh so irritating!

He's like that too! Last week when he was out there I purposely took forever to groom, got out the clippers even, and he was like, hanging out with his tacked up horse in the aisle WAITING for me.

Comment

You see, you are doing a multitude of things and there are different types of horse people. You like eventing, so you can't be that bad
                  And us eventers, for the most part, are exactly like you. No one bothers us until we're done. We have a time table to keep and exact tasks that need to get done in order and we get it down to a science. Then we kick it up and relax (and eat!).
                  Now that I'm with the big dogs competing, it's getting kinda lonely. By the time my friends are arriving, I've packed it up and all I want to do is go home and sleep.
                  Even duct tape can't fix stupid

Comment

Reading through all the posts here I've decided I belong in the Rides Alone & Loves It group.

I do enjoy trails, but not when I have to babysit other riders. Not that I am Queen of Trails, but sometimes out there you see things that make you cringe. At least if I'm alone on trail noone has to observe if I do something cringeworthy.

In the arena I am usually so concentrated on my riding that while I can easily share the space with other riders, I just do not do chitchat.

Once I'm off my horse then I can relax and socialize.

Having boarded my horses for 20+ years I finally brought them home in '04. I can honestly say I do not miss the company when I ride.
                    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                    Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                    Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Originally posted by anabug View Post
                      He's like that too! Last week when he was out there I purposely took forever to groom, got out the clippers even, and he was like, hanging out with his tacked up horse in the aisle WAITING for me.
                      Hey, anabug, maybe he's sweet on ya!?

Comment

For someone who actually is firmly on the introvert side of the spectrum...I love love love my group lessons. I think riding has always been such a social thing for me that I'm happiest being able to talk to everyone, especially talk about the horses. At least it's something I know about!

Comment

Originally posted by Beasmom View Post
                          Hey, anabug, maybe he's sweet on ya!?
                          That's what I was going to say!

Comment

Originally posted by CenterlineGirl2 View Post
                            I think that you are a dressage rider in the making...
                            Yes, I agree. I enjoy being alone too. But please don't turn into one of those people who bite your head off if you say hello to them. Or have rules about how they are treated. I know you are not like that now but if you linger too long in the dressage ring things start to happen to people....
                            “If you are irritated by every rub, how will your mirror be polished?”
                            ? Rumi

Comment

Does any of this make any sense? Am I nuts? Or does anyone else have similar feelings?
                              Yes. No. Yes!
                              "None of us can move forward if half of us are being held back." ~Anonymous~

Comment

I'm fairly social, but prefer smaller groups. Riding out with one or two people is my idea of a great time...plus that my guy is only 4 and does better with another beast around is a real plus.

Barns are usually female bastions...the girls at the barn may meet after the barn or even at each other's houses...which is great. Most of their menfolk aren't happy or understanding of another guy in their SO's life. So, the social part of the barn is under saddle vs. after riding.
                                "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for all the replies. This is nothing I lose sleep over, but I train at home and as such don't have much exposure to people who feel the same as I do. They're out doing their thing, while the "groupies" seem to seek me out. I like the fact that someone thinks enough to include me...but I'll see ya at the restaurant after! We can re-live the whole day, if that's what you want, after DannyBoy's safely tucked in for the night. It's just nice to know I'm not alone in my feelings.

Gayla, not much chance of that. Danny's an XC guy. We do just enough of the dressage to get us to the next phase! I will say, winding down my second season, I am starting to think of dressage as more than that thing you have to go through to get to the jumps. I've even started working with a dressage trainer. Eeek!
                                  HorsePower! www.tcgequine.blogspot.com

Comment

Have just returned to my barn after a few years away. In the meantime, they've developed a boarding business. Now I remember why I hate people.

I deal with people and their questions/problems all.day.long at work. I don't want to deal with any of that when I'm at the barn.

If I'm there during the week, I have limited time. Leave me alone & fer f*cks sake, stay out of my way when I'm schooling. Perhaps noticing that the horse is on the bit & I'm riding a circle with transitions within the gait is a clue that I am working. Even if it's at the walk.

If I'm there during the weekend, I have slightly less limited time. And it's even more precious to me. Leave me out of the drama. Please.

I have an iPod & I'm about to start using it.

That said, I adore my hunting friends & really relish the time we all ride together. Maybe 'cause we have to be quiet until a check or it's breakfast after the hunt.

signed,
                                    Cranky Member of Loners R Us.
                                    ~ Horse Box Lovers Clique ~

Comment

OMG, Rivenoak, I love your Dogbert quote!

I also want to be a cranky member of Loners R Us. Uh, wait. Then we wouldn't be loners... oh, never mind.

Comment

Originally posted by Beasmom View Post
                                        OMG, Rivenoak, I love your Dogbert quote!

I also want to be a cranky member of Loners R Us. Uh, wait. Then we wouldn't be loners... oh, never mind.
                                        that quote is funny.....

I think starting a clique woul defeat the purpose, but I'm in if we do.....hey should we organize a trailride?
                                        to err is human, to whinny, Equine.
                                        Ebay-aholic! Carolina clique, BITS AND BARTER BOARD BUDDY
                                        EYEGLASSES MISSIONS FOR ARMENIA-send me your old glasses!

Comment

Working...
                                        X