• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Things your barn does (or you wish it would do) that helps promote sense of "family"?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Originally posted by cranky View Post
    My new barn has a "Ladies Day" outing coming up. They're going to a cross-country course at another location. After the jumping lesson there is going to be a short trail ride and then a picnic lunch. I'm thinking of taking a vacation day and going -- sounds like so much fun and a nice way to meet other adult riders (and especially nice for someone like me who doesn't know a lot of people up here and am only at the barn once a week, at least currently).
    Sounds fun! Hope you have great weather and a wonderful time!

Comment

Originally posted by katie16 View Post
      Sounds fun! Hope you have great weather and a wonderful time!
      Since I don't own a horse, I still have to see if they will have one available for me so that I am able to go. I hope so! I'm looking forward to it. I knew that I was saving that vacation time for something!
      -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh, I like that idea! Everyone would have an opportunity to get involved!

Borders do put stockings up at Christmas if they want. And the generous border puts stockings on all the lesson horse stalls.
        Yup... it is a $5 entry fee, and proceeds benefit the Special Olympics program that rides at the farm. So it is fun and for a good cause. The only rules are that decorations are family friendly and placed where the horses cannot eat them Plus, if a boarder does not want to decorate they can allow a lesson student to "borrow" their stall (lots of the adults allow the kids to use their stall).

Comment

In general, I like this idea! My concern is that I would not want anyone to post anything negative about another person. Monitoring it could be tricky.
          I understand. It might be too hard to monitor--if there is a kid or adult who is online a good deal and you trust, they can be appointed "mod" with some clear guidelines.

As Cranky mentioned, group outings are an excellent bonding tool. They don't have to involve riding per se. My (adult) barn went as a group to the state fair and a foal inspection. Great weekend outings and educational too. Have to organize vehicles for that though.

On edit: I think you are a great BO for even thinking about this! Makes me happy just to imagine fun things to do.
          Ring the bells that still can ring
          Forget your perfect offering
          There is a crack in everything
          That's how the light gets in.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by seeuatx View Post
            Yup... it is a $5 entry fee, and proceeds benefit the Special Olympics program that rides at the farm. So it is fun and for a good cause. The only rules are that decorations are family friendly and placed where the horses cannot eat them Plus, if a boarder does not want to decorate they can allow a lesson student to "borrow" their stall (lots of the adults allow the kids to use their stall).
            Wonderful idea all the way around! Do they decorate and then get judged within the same day? Say a Saturday afternoon or something? Or do they just need to be done by a specific date and time and they decorate at their convenience sometime beforehand? What are the provisions for removal of the decorations? Just curious how you work it as you seem to have a great thing going!

Comment

Maybe I'm on my soapbox again. But kids, adults, both - why not organize a "drive" for items or money and donate to a rescue?

It could be as simple as cleaning out their tack boxes, then have a tack cleaning "party."

Or even - organize a fun trail ride, and get sponsors (like King's Ransom) for so many cents per mile, with a bring-your-own-dish afterwards party.

There is nothing like bringing people together to help with a common cause, and everyone feels good afterwards.
              www.specialhorses.org
              a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

It's been a loooong time since I managed a boarding barn but while I did it was a blast!
                Had mostly young teenagers boarding there and we used to have spend the night partys in the huge loft. Cookouts. Santa always came and left each horse a stocking with fruit and treats each year. Took some of the children fox hunting, some to shows, some to trail rides. It wasn't always perfect, of course, but almost always.
                You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Comment

Wonderful idea all the way around! Do they decorate and then get judged within the same day? Say a Saturday afternoon or something? Or do they just need to be done by a specific date and time and they decorate at their convenience sometime beforehand? What are the provisions for removal of the decorations? Just curious how you work it as you seem to have a great thing going!
                  Put up date begins approx. 2-3 weeks before the judging day, sometimes a bit before. Put up date for the Halloween party 08 began on Mon. and judging will take place on the 28th during the party. Some wait until the last few days just in case on of the barn cats decides to play with stuff or horses decide the decorations look yummy. You are permitted to use only the front of your stall, and any ledges directly attached. No saddle racks or x-ties may be used. Nothing that makes noise (like those screaming witches, they spooked some horses last year) is allowed. Take down date is within 5 days of judging, but most of it is taken down after the party, and the putter-upper is responsible for taking down or a $10 removal fee is charged (also goes to Special Olympics)

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by pj View Post
                    . . . we used to have spend the night partys in the huge loft . . . .

Agh! We just filled the loft last week! We won't have it down enough to do that for months and by then WAY too cold!

Hmmmm . . . thinking about it further I am not sure I want (in this day of wonderful liability risks) to worry about some kid wanting to get up in the night to go down the ladder and then down the aisle to the bathroom. "What if . . ."

However, I think it would be a well received idea to do outside on our huge lawn in front of the barn next summer! Thanks for the idea!

Comment

Where I board USED to have monthly pot lucks and holiday parties, but the BO's family is now grown and spread out over the region, so they don't do those any more. It's all I can do to organize a group trail ride, with so many into showing and don't ride outside an arena setting. We are working on a proper Christmas Cookie Exchange for this year, hopefully we can get that off the ground.

Comment

At my previous barn there were lots of weekend-only folks who I rarely got to see, as they came in, took their lesson, and left. And I wanted to meet them! Very few of them trail rode, so that wasn't an option. What was fun was the annual Christmas party, which was really big, but other than that I hardly saw anyone.

Also, even though some people at that barn showed, no one ever announced the upcoming show dates or times, so I never got to see that or join in as a spectator/fan, which I would have enjoyed (see last paragraph)...

Even though my current barn has very few boarders, I still see them often, as the owner hosts workshops every month and various people who used to board or who ship in for lessons show up, and we get to know each other while doing group games and exercises. Which makes it easy to call those folks up to meet for trail rides now and then. I love trail riding with a group of 3 or 4 people - lots of time to chat, and we learn from each other, too.

At another barn years ago I loved the fact that the head trainer and any of her students who were showing always welcomed "groupies" to tag along to shows. Sometimes there'd be nearly a dozen of us "fans" hanging out, and we'd get interesting comments on other riders we watched, we all got to help with carrying stuff, and holding horses and taking pictures and making snack runs, and that created a social life around the barn, and was educational, too.

Comment

I think a Saturday morning breakfast is an easy, cheap way to get people together. You can buy a big grill for about $35 - to make pancakes. Add some pre cooked links, & juice and you have a great start. And kids love it - before or after they ride.

Comment

I'm new at my barn, and trailer in for lessons, so the only people I see are the 3 instructors and the people who take a lesson right after me, but they all seem nice. Last place I was at was terrible for gossip, catty stuff and was very uncomfortable. You know... power of 'exclusion' type of stuff. I have a feeling this BO won't tolerate that, thankfully. I'm probably one of the few adults who rides there, as I'm a beginner at dressage. BO shows a lot and I would love for her to invite students to come as a cheering party or groom.

If Iwere a BO I would definitely try to do a 'social night' once a month... wine and cheese type thing. The most important thing is for the BO to treat everyone like they are liked and usually, if the BO is equally friendly to everyone, they all treat each other in a friendly way as well.

Trail rides and work days are always great, as well as in-house shows with some fun classes. One place I was at did an 'adult leadline' class for non horsey parents and grandparents. For the ones who were game, they had a blast!
                            Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
                            Witherun Farm
                            http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Comment

We have lots of "riding parties"... everyone is invited to come out and we turn on some music and all ride together.. As we are pretty close knit it usually ends up that we randomly switch horses during the ride. We all bring a potluck item and then eat afterwards. Friends and family are invited and usually after the riding (in the summer) we would set up a volleyball net and get a game together.

For example: the three trainers at my barn (including me) have all gotten married in the past year, so for each of us we have had riding "bridal showers" where we pop in some tunes about love and have a good time.

We also used to do horse movie or horse education night at a boarders house where we would watch training videos and then discuss.

We also have a tradition of doing a halloween freestyle party, which is always tons of fun. And we also do a Christmas party with a horsey gift exchange.

Comment

Well, one barn I like very much had Olympic viewing night on Tivo this year, as well as a George Morris DVD viewing night...

I've organized a fair number of barn trail ride/drives in my time, and currently sundays at 3pm are a standing date for everyone in the area (all two of us most weeks...)
                                Do not take anything to heart. Do not hanker after signs of progress. Founder of the Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

The barn where I board is now a Pony Club Riding Center. There's ALWAYS something going on there. Lemme see --

WIHS barn night -- we all go
                                  Barn owner is trailering a bunch of the older clubbers out to a xcountry fun day next weekend. Just for fun and practice. I could go if I were brave enough and stupid enough
                                  We have a book club where everyone meets once a week and discusses that month's book
                                  Movie night
                                  Spring and fall clean up days. Everyone pitches in
                                  Everyone pitches in to paint the jumps. We're doing that this weekend, I think.
                                  Camps, of course
                                  Sleepovers and cookouts in the big field
                                  Xmas gift xchange
                                  Easter Egg hunt

Mind went blank -- if I think of anything I'll post more

Eileen
                                  Mad Mare™ Studio
                                  Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
                                  http://MadMare.com

Comment

With kids... I'd start a "Saddle Club." Get lots of ideas from stuff Pine Hollow does in the kids' books. I know when I was little, I so wanted to belong to a place like Pine Hollow. d; (Though now that I'm an adult and wanted to reread the Saddle Club books, I can't find the darn things for sale anywhere...)
                                    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

We have an annual fall pig roast (BO's husband has a hog operation), and a fall and spring schooling mini-event. Everyone who isn't showing is encouraged to volunteer, so it becomes a fun social event rather than a day you can't use the rings or trails. The trainers have organized trail rides and hunter pace teams. In general, the BO and trainers set a tone of respect, so that there is very little drama, and what drama does come up (like one boarder's insistence on letting her hyperactive dog off-leash) is dealt with promptly.

My BO had the most brilliant, but unusual, idea for including the husbands/boyfriends/little brothers/sons of boarders and lesson students: she had a stocked fishing pond put in and has a small community stash of fishing equipment. The pond has a dock and a couple rowboats and paddleboats. The men and boys can spend a pleasant afternoon fishing and boating while the women ride. At the end of the day, everyone's happy and it seems to cut down on the complaints about how much time is spent at the barn (not that I would know, since I have no SO).

BES
                                      Proudly owned by 2 chestnut mares
                                      Crayola Posse: sea green
                                      Mighty Rehabbers Clique

Comment

We've done a Halloween Trick or Treat hay ride for the last several years, of course it helps that our barn is inside a residential neighborhood. Pizza Fridays. Barn sleepover on the front lawn.
                                        www.stonoferrystables.com

Comment

I think parties where each person brings what they can might help.

I think it's important to realize the trail riders may NEVER like the show riders and the hunt seat riders may NEVER hang out with the dressage riders. I wouldn't expect too much; people vary alot in how much they ever can get along, but I would expect them to behave basically.

But I think overall, it really is up to the manager and owner and trainer at the barn to work together and keep control of nastiness all the time. It just naturally develops where any women gather (hell, look at this bb if you need proof) and it needs to be constantly 'ridden herd' on if it isn't going to get out of control.

Of course...at the barn where I was at for a long time, the trainer/owner was the worst offender! LOL.

Comment

Working...
                                          X