• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

A bit of a boarding disaster..and I'm not sure ANY contract covers this.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ugh, what a crappy thing to be dealing with! I guess the only real way you'd have any insight and ability to do anything about the other horses is if you stayed. You could tell the BO that you will take care of coordinating water/chores etc for X reduction in your board, with another boarder as your backup (so you can train and make sure others are on the same page), because you know she is as concerned as you are about all the risks of horses not having water! Of course,if she says anything other than "great idea" or in any way starts defending the lazy idiot, i'd probably not argue with her but just move, and make absolutely certain the ohter boarders and other horsey people in the area heard all about it

If takign on that kind of care really isn't feasible for you (don't know distances involved, your work sitution, whatever), then, for sure, move. And contact the other boarders as you have, inform them they have to really check on their horses, get one of them to volunteer for the "water coordinator position" and so on.

you could contact AC but when they come to check, I bet the horses will look fine and watered. But you could make sure the boarders there know how to contact AC and agree to do so if anything happens in the future!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by gumtree View Post
      Water at all times IMO is part of basic care and is provided and looked after by the BO as part of full board. Regardless the time of the year. Curious, if you don’t mind me asking, how much do you pay for board? I have found you kind of get what you pay for. Personally I would never board at a place that did not have a resident, knowledgeable person living on the property within ear shot of the horses, barn and paddocks/pastures.
      BO is retired and does live on site within about 100 feet of where the horses are. But...she's a busy lady with her volunteer work, vacations, etc. I don't think she really "knows" the horses that well. Heck, she keeps calling my mare "He". "He is so cute!" "He is so friendly." Uh huh. She's not cute and she's not friendly. And she's not a HE.

Anyway, as far as price, I totally hear you. However, when I think of pricing, I think that the basics are part of the deal at any price range. I've boarded enough to know that everyone has different standards and I knew when I moved here that this was a pretty basic place. But no matter what you're paying, if someone is hanging a shingle saying they're a full board facility, water is assumed to be included. Further, her OWN horse is in this herd. So you'd THINK she'd be LIVID.

FWIW, I'm going to be paying the same amount at the new place and it's a much nicer facility. But it's not really a boarding barn. It's a fellow COTHer who occasionally takes in a boarder when it's a good fit. Better pasture, better barn, better care, has an outdoor, no mud even when we've had the most muddy weather ever....AND, my mare will get some extra work as she's going to do some up downer lessons which helps me out in more ways than one. Since my mare is an easy keeper and doesn't require anything special, what I'm most interested in is having someone there whose judgment I can trust. Over the last few weeks of communication, visit, etc, I am confident that my mare will be very well looked after. Now it's just a matter of getting her there. My landlady has offered to haul as has the new BO. We're just working out the schedule.
      A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

I know you don't want to hear it:
        But when you load up you horse and move, do not go back.

While I do understand your reasoning, you open yourself up to all kinds of problems and it won't solve the situation anyhow.
        Originally posted by BigMama1
        Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
        GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Have you not actually confronted this helper? That would be job 1 for me. "Every time I'm here the tank is empty. I've spoken with BO and I understand there was a hole in that tank. You replaced it with a tank that doesn't hold enough water. They need a different tank. I will be here every day checking until it is done."

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
            I know you don't want to hear it:
            But when you load up you horse and move, do not go back.

While I do understand your reasoning, you open yourself up to all kinds of problems and it won't solve the situation anyhow.
            You really think so? What if I can't get a hold of BO to let her know I won't be going out? I'm so worried that horses are going to get dehydrated and colic. Since I KNOW about it, I feel like I'm sort of responsible for it. Once you know, you know....ya know?

It's not that I don't want to hear it per se. Going to both farms will mean that I'm gone for a huge chunk of the day which means I'll be cleaning up messes at home due to my dog being on a trial run of steroids and needing to urinate frequently. I don't want to be gone at all right now. But I can't leave Miss Mare in this situation. And I feel badly for the rest.

Comment

Inform as many of the other boarders as you can. Then, move on.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by gumshoe View Post
                Have you not actually confronted this helper? That would be job 1 for me. "Every time I'm here the tank is empty. I've spoken with BO and I understand there was a hole in that tank. You replaced it with a tank that doesn't hold enough water. They need a different tank. I will be here every day checking until it is done."
                I have discussed concerns with her in the past at BO's suggestion. However, I have not this time because I do not feel that it's my responsibility to manage her. Her responsibilities are between her and the BO and she's being paid for them. BO's responsibility is to me and my horse. BO is where the buck should stop. I am worried about the helper retaliating against my horse before I can get out of there. I don't have much time or patience for a liar who is taking shortcuts and am not sure I could be as civil as I should be.

Comment

Agree that another boarder who is actually boarding there HAS to pick up the slack. Pick one or two that seem responsible / are there frequently and just lay it on the line very clearly that the horses' health is at serious risk and it simply has to be done. And then leave.

Comment

My question is why would the BO keep this person on after multiple and consistent offenses regarding water.

I would have let them go a long time ago and found someone who could do their job regarding the very basic of horse care/health.

It sounds like the helper is in control here.
                    www.littlebullrun@aol.com See Little Bull Run's stallions at:
                    "Argosy" - YouTube and "Boleem" - YouTube
                    Boleem @ 1993 National Dressage Symposium - YouTube

Comment

Another vote that once you remove your horse it is probably best that you do not keep going back.
                      I can totally see slacker barn worker blaming you for things that are wrong that occur after you leave.
                      Find another boarder and inform them or simply tell the BO that you are leaving and you will not be checking.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
                        You really think so? What if I can't get a hold of BO to let her know I won't be going out? I'm so worried that horses are going to get dehydrated and colic. Since I KNOW about it, I feel like I'm sort of responsible for it. Once you know, you know....ya know?

It's not that I don't want to hear it per se. Going to both farms will mean that I'm gone for a huge chunk of the day which means I'll be cleaning up messes at home due to my dog being on a trial run of steroids and needing to urinate frequently. I don't want to be gone at all right now. But I can't leave Miss Mare in this situation. And I feel badly for the rest.
                        Yes. I mean it.
                        You can't fix the situation. The BO knows, has known. And it continues.

You, as business woman should know that TIME is the most valuable thing you have. You cannot get it back. And you are willing to waste yours on people who clearly don't give a crap.
                        You would spend your money doing a job that isn't yours to do. Time=$$ plus the gas you would be spending. I do recall your discretionary funds are on the lower end compared to what they used to be.
                        You assume worries that you don't need to burden yourself with.
                        Remember the serenity prayer: give me the serenity to accept the things I can't change, the courage to change the things I can and the wisdom to know the difference.

You tried, nothing changed, time to move on and not look back.
                        It's between the BO, the helper and the owners.

Bless you for caring. But it's like that pathetic puppy at trade day or in the petshop: Keep walking. Any type of rescue only enables (can you tell, when I say don't enable...)
                        GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

• Original Poster

My version of the serenity prayer involves bodies...and disposing of them. LOL

But you're right. I have less funds to deal with now that I'm not working. I have time, but it comes at a cost too, and ultimately, my responsibility is to my horse. and the other critters in my charge. If I can't take care of them well as a result, I have no business trying to take care of others at their expense.

I get the feeling after the trailer issue, the stalling issue, the loose horse issues, and now the water issue that BO is way more fast and loose with things than I realized initially. And that some horses survive it and as a result, reinforce the idea that piss poor care is good care.

Comment

don't forget the special guardian that watches over fools....

You can spend your spare time much more productive elsewhere.
                            GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

What a terrible situation! Obviously you have to get your own horse out of there as soon as possible, as you've planned. As Alagirl has said, you put yourself at some risk if you go back after you've moved your horse. If you had any sort of conflict with the "helper" and the police came, you'd have no legitimate reason to be there. You could return if you were with another boarder, or perhaps if you were there at their request.
                              If I were you, I would send the BO something in writing, with copies of the pictures you took, reminding her that you've notified her repeatedly that the animals in her care were without water.
                              And then I would notify animal control. They may do nothing, they may follow up and check the water, it's unlikely that there would be any punishment. But this owner doesn't have the right to collect money from boarders and ignore problems just because she likes to travel.
                              If you have contact information for any of the other boarders, I would also notify them, maybe by copying them on your letter to the B. O., complete with pictures.
                              It's certainly a terrible situation to be in. I understand your desire to check on all of the remaining horses; no one wants to be the person who did nothing while a horse died!
                              One last thought....if you're not working now, and you're out there anyway, and the current "helper" is useless, would the BO hire you instead?

Comment

Originally posted by Hinderella View Post
                                One last thought....if you're not working now, and you're out there anyway, and the current "helper" is useless, would the BO hire you instead?
                                That really wouldn't be practical. She lives nowhere near the barn, has one car to use between her and her husband, and she has a sick dog to look after. The only solution here is to bug out ASAP, smoothly and by the numbers. This is not the kind of situation that can be fixed without a complete 180 degree solution and the BO is part of the problem.
                                Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

On my way out, I would give the other boarders a heads up and also let the slacker help know that everyone has been informed.
                                  Maybe knowing that people know she is slacking will help motivate her.

Otherwise, this is one of the toughest parts of horse ownership I deal with, remembering that these are not my horses.

Comment

Buddy - God bless you for your very kind heart in your worry for the horses left behind.

As a parting message (after Miss Mare has been moved,) convey to the BO that should any of the other horses fall ill and/or die due to a vet's determination that they were deprived of water, you will provided the owners of said horses the evidence you have that the BO was notified many times that the horses were denied water, a necessity of life. If the owners wish to take legal action against her, including paying vet bills resulting from her negligence then they are welcome to your evidence.

Sorry, I have not worded this as well as I would like. I have to leave momentarily to work at a barn. Nice place too; they insist on giving water to their horses. What a concept, eh?

Good luck in all that you do, BR. You have done all that is humanly possible to protect the horses left behind. Now look after you and yours; really that's all that is left to do.

Comment

I would wait until she was out of town, call and tell her the horses were out of water and HER horse was acting colicky (most horses paw and lay down at some point during the day, right?). Hit the panic button and see if a vet bill will smarten her up.

But then, I can be a b**ch when people are so stupid they deserve it.

Jennifer
                                      Third Charm Event Team

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, I worked it out and I told her.

And she continues to defend her worker/boarder.

Screw 'em.

I'm outtie.

She LITERALLY just hung up on me to go on a RIDE at Disney. For Effs Sake.

Breathing. breathing.

Done.

Comment

Wow. What a poo head.
                                          Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Comment

Working...
                                          X