• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Cross-training: is there anything a rider shouldn't do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cross-training: is there anything a rider shouldn't do?

So (thanks to Groupon) I bought a class pass at a local pilates/barre studio near me. Had my first class yesterday, and really enjoyed it! A lot of the mat pilates stuff was things I've done before in other classes, which are great for riding core strength. I loved the barre section too, but I'm wondering if the ideas in a barre workout will go against what I'm working on in my riding (ie, spiraling thighs out isn't exactly what you want on a horse!). But then again, I'm a novice-level rider who has no great aspirations (or, sadly, any innate ability ) so I'm wondering what harm it can do?

So are there any exercises/methods/classes that really do mess too much with the unique fitness needs of a rider?

I don't really think there's anything you SHOULDN'T do, exercise-wise. At most, I'd say just to be sure to be gentle on your knees.
    Adversity is the stone on which I sharpen my blade.

Comment

As an amateur, anything that gets you more strong and flexible has to be a good thing. Go for it and don't worry too much about developing the 'wrong' muscles.
      --
      Wendy
      ... and Patrick

Comment

unless you've recently bought a pair of expensive custom boots- many a person has managed to put on calf muscle after taking up cross-training such that they can't get their boots on any more.

Comment

Originally posted by wendy View Post
          unless you've recently bought a pair of expensive custom boots- many a person has managed to put on calf muscle after taking up cross-training such that they can't get their boots on any more.
          This actually happened to me! I lost weight, but had to buy new wider field boots...
          Southern Cross Guest Ranch
          An All Inclusive Guest Ranch Vacation - Georgia

Comment

Well, if you take up one of the pole dancing classes, stay out of the high heels! I wore heels for so long that getting my heel down was really really hard! (I wasn't pole dancing though)
            A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Welp, believe this or not, I've read where serious riders shouldn't 'do' ballet. Something about the muscles and movements counteract each other. It's been a good 5-6 years since I heard of this. I asked on another horse board if anyone had heard of this and surprisingly, quite a few had.

I'm thinking in riding, you want your elbows in and low center of gravity and in ballet, you're elbows are out and the COG is higher. Something like that.

Don't yell at me, I'm just the messenger!!

ETA: There was also something about snow skiing and riding, too.
              GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

my instructor has had issues skiiing; we've all been trained, when we get in trouble on a horse, "sit up, heels down !!" apparently this is the exact wrong thing to do on skis....? she's ended up on her butt on the slopes a few times.

i would think the biggest thing with ballet would be with the hip to toe turnout you'd end up with; it might carry over into the saddle and if you're riding dressage, be hard to train yourself out of.
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                Today I will be happier than a bird with a french fry.

Comment

Originally posted by goneriding24 View Post
                  Welp, believe this or not, I've read where serious riders shouldn't 'do' ballet. Something about the muscles and movements counteract each other. It's been a good 5-6 years since I heard of this. I asked on another horse board if anyone had heard of this and surprisingly, quite a few had.

I'm thinking in riding, you want your elbows in and low center of gravity and in ballet, you're elbows are out and the COG is higher. Something like that.

Don't yell at me, I'm just the messenger!!

ETA: There was also something about snow skiing and riding, too.
                  to do ballet that serious, you won't have time to ride.

(but I am guessing the toe thing would be hard to overcome....)

but seriously, ballet can be a kick butt low impact workout for flexibility. Can't beat it, really!
                  Originally posted by BigMama1
                  Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                  GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

I actually do have a cogent thought about this. I think that if you are learning mastery over your body in any context, no matter how much it might go against riding mastery, the fact that you're learning to control your body is a GOOD THING.

The fact that you're staying in shape is a GOOD THING.

While some activities are kind of at opposite ends of the spectrum (like skiing vs water skiing) it doesn't diminish the control aspect.
                    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

I remember reading an article about ballet, and gymnastics. In Horse and Rider magazine. The trainer being interviewed said that they get too muscular, when what you want is the ability to make your butt punky in the saddle, like a deflated basketball. Honest, that's what I remember but it was 40 years ago so . . .
                      Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                      Incredible Invisible

Comment

As the average amateur rider and the average fitness goer, I would say no. Some gym version of ballet/gymnastics/etc would not mess with your riding. I agree that if anything, its beneficial as it does give you more strength, endurance, and a better sense of body awareness. Now if you were training competitively in another sport, and it didn't really compliment riding, it might be detrimental. Would be an interesting thing to do some actual studies on!

Comment

The only part of gymnastics/ballet training (that I did for many many years as a kid) that really has made riding difficult, is I cannot for the life of me, get my heels down! Standing on my toes for all those years has made me very flexible in pointing my toes, but heels up? forgetaboutit!!

But, the upside after starting to ride as an adult, was that same gymnastic/ballet training made me more coordinated than a lot of the other adults I started to ride with and in turn, made it easier for me to grasp body position and how it influences riding! I actually progressed faster than adults that didn't have the coordination. If you're already riding, I'd say just relax and have fun with your other sports/hobbies, the strength and fitness you gain will far outweigh any "possible" effects!
                          Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!

Comment

Actually years ago there was a rider that was I think long listed for the Olympics, and was also very competitive downhill skiing. I found alot of similarities in working on riding cross country and a downhill skiing lesson I got a few weeks later, the instructor was amazed at how fast I picked up on what he was saying, well of course, I'd had it drilled into me by my trainer. Most of it was simple about having a strong core and being balanced over your own feet. I would say that golf is completely counter intuitive to riding. Rolling your shoulders forward, and keeping your head down during the swing, granted I golfed once, but it was the most alien thing to me!

Comment

I have never had a problem with heels down, but I can see where if you had to learn turnout for ballet (mine's innate and reaches a scary degree) it might become a problem. But the center-of-gravity thing should not be a significant problem (some of that is innate-I have a low COG and nothing I do in dance will change that) and both require a lot of core strength.
                              Author Page
                              Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                              Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

I find a lot of similarities between ski-ing and riding:basic same position, straight line ear, shoulder, hip, heel, flex at ankle and hip, stay tall, shoulders back and relaxed, arms softly at the sides! Learning body awarness in any sport or acitivity can be a big boost to improve your riding!

Comment

I danced (ballet) pretty seriously for all of my childhood and into young adulthood. If anything, I always got the opposite advice from dance teachers--that things like riding, skiing, and ice skating were bad for ballet, because they build muscles that can compromise the hip flexibility needed for turnout. I, however, never had an issue--but then again, I wasn't auditioning for ABT, nor did I have aspirations to do so.

I will say that ballet (and I had pretty decent turnout, danced en pointe for 10 years, etc) did nothing but good things for my riding. Yes, I had flexible hips capable of rotating outwards--but they were also STRONG and could therefore basically "do what I wanted to them to", if that makes sense. (Think of it this way...it takes flexibility to turn out your legs, but strength to keep them there--a ballet dancer uses entire bands of muscles in the glutes, thighs, and calves to hold that turnout throughout all of the movements they do. It's not just about being bendy, but bendy and strong.)

And if you're stretching and otherwise being trained properly, keeping your heels down won't be an issue either--dancers need to have a full range of motion in their ankles and feet to move across the floor, jump, etc...not just pointed toes.

And the biggest and best benefit is the core strength you get--which is nothing but a huge asset when you ride. So, sorry for the slight rant--but no, pilates/dance will do nothing but improve your riding. As others have said--really, any activity that improves strength, flexibility, endurance, and body awareness will be a boon to saddle time. So have fun!

Comment

When I was teenager I quit ballet because my teacher said I needed to stop riding horses if I were to become a professional dancer.

Comment

I agree with everyone else here... I started cross fit classes and they are hard work, but I think everything actually helps with riding. You may not be practicing putting your heels down in the classes or things that you would do exactly as on a horse, but I gained so much calf strength that the little flexibility that I lost (at the beginning... it comes back with time) in my ankles didn't make any difference.
                                      Who say's your best friend has to be human?

Comment

Originally posted by PaintPony View Post
                                        When I was teenager I quit ballet because my teacher said I needed to stop riding horses if I were to become a professional dancer.
                                        That's not body mechanics, that's time. Someone seriously intending to be a professional ballet dancer (Olympic figure skaters, make the cut to the top 48 at the UK Open ballroom competition, etc) doesn't have time to waste on other sports. Conversely someone who wants to really have a serious junior-leading-to-GP pro rider probably should not be doing other activities either. Having worked at a skating club that does turn out top-ten US skaters I now completely understand and support the "monomania" for serious kid athletes. They really do need all that time. For ballet in particular, remember you're going to most likely be retiring when you're 40 if you're lucky (a few rare cases keep dancing longer, but that's not a lot of people at all). There's no time to fool around with other activities.
                                        Author Page
                                        Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                                        Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Working...
                                        X