• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Yes, The Irish are Crazy!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #61
    Boiling dogs alive is normal in some cultures (or subcultures of cultures, perhaps), who is anyone to criticize. But of course where the line is drawn between cross-cultural acceptance and moral relativism is a philosophical question and a personal judgment call. The whole question of this thread is what is ok to them and where do people draw their lines.

    I freely admit drawing my line on the more conservative end of the spectrum.

    I ride my way out of a paper bag well enough I was asked to demo ride my horse at a clinic held by a very famous individual, which unfortunately ended up coinciding precisely with the arrival of Hurricane Sandy. Would my horse have been a good soldier for me despite ride times in the eye of the storm? Absolutely. Was it all very prestigious? Sure. Did he deserve to be exposed to additional travel hazards of navigating a during- and post-hurricane environment? No. I didn't ask him to leap the bank. I turned the truck around and drove eight hours back home. (Btw, the clinic still ran. Other riders obviously drew their lines less conservatively.)

    Just because other people make more conservative decisions with the animals who depend on them does not mean they "can't ride their way out of a paperbag." Perhaps they have very valuable horses or perhaps the training took years, or maybe they are just softies. Either way a conservatively drawn line is not occasion for ridicule.
    The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
    Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
    Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
    The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

    Comment


    • #62
      Oh good grief - do I hear violin music? Really? A FAMOUS individual? Not just a famous individual, but a VERY FAMOUS individual? And you had to ride in a hurricane, not just any hurricane, but the storm of the century? Were you riding a drama llama?

      Just because others don't ride their horses in circles on a groomed surface does not make them abusive.

      Again, get over yourself. I doubt you could keep up with one of those clubs. I doubt I could - but I'm not so full of myself I have to accuse others of abuse to mask my own inadequacies and fears.

      It's Ireland. That's the topography and climate in which the horses exist. That is a fact. If you saw an Arab horse being ridden in the desert it would be no different. That is their normal. Deal with it.
      Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
      Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
      -Rudyard Kipling

      Comment


      • #63
        Originally posted by JSwan View Post
        Oh good grief - do I hear violin music? Really? A FAMOUS individual? Not just a famous individual, but a VERY FAMOUS individual? And you had to ride in a hurricane, not just any hurricane, but the storm of the century? Were you riding a drama llama?

        Just because others don't ride their horses in circles on a groomed surface does not make them abusive.

        Again, get over yourself. I doubt you could keep up with one of those clubs. I doubt I could - but I'm not so full of myself I have to accuse others of abuse to mask my own inadequacies and fears.

        It's Ireland. That's the topography and climate in which the horses exist. That is a fact. If you saw an Arab horse being ridden in the desert it would be no different. That is their normal. Deal with it.
        Who's shrieking now?
        The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
        Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
        Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
        The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

        Comment


        • #64
          Just laughing because your post was just so silly. Talk about hyperbole...

          Go hunting in Ireland and then get back to us.
          Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
          Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
          -Rudyard Kipling

          Comment


          • #65
            I need to show this video to my new horse. I swear that ditch is what he sees when I'm asking him to go up or down a sidewalk curb (he reacts the same way). I think he could learn from the comparison.
            In memory of Apache, who loved to play. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjZAqeg7HyE

            Comment


            • #66
              Well, I cannot WAIT to hunt in Ireland! I am going to postpone until my nearly 8 yo son is old enough to really remember me, but after that, mud-n-ditches here I come!!!

              Seriously though, we (at least those of us who hunt) have encountered all kinds of crazy terrain and footing and weird angles and weird animals (emus anyone?) while out hunting. And you know what, our horses get through it just fine. Even the formerly pampered, multi-thousand dollar ex-racers who had never negotiated anything more troublesome than the dirt path leading to the perfectly groomed racetrack, go out and learn how to handle themselves. My OTTBs love hunting. Love it. Ring work---not so much. But they do it because I ask them to, and they behave.

              The Irish horses grow up in that environment. Just think if we let our horses here develop like that-- we wouldn't be drooling over Irish horses, they'd be drooling over ours!

              Comment


              • #67
                Originally posted by TimelyImpulse View Post
                Well, I cannot WAIT to hunt in Ireland! I am going to postpone until my nearly 8 yo son is old enough to really remember me, but after that, mud-n-ditches here I come!!!

                Comment


                • #68
                  Dayum! I'd love to do that! But I'm a weenie rider, so don't have a chance in hell of hanging with those riders.
                  Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

                  Comment


                  • #69
                    Originally posted by arabhorse2 View Post
                    Dayum! I'd love to do that! But I'm a weenie rider, so don't have a chance in hell of hanging with those riders.
                    you just have to worry about hanging onto the back of your horse. I am sure he can find the way all by himself.

                    Comment


                    • #70
                      As someone who only recently got back from hunting in Ireland -- in Ditch and Bank country (a/k/a, BIG FREAKIN' HUGE DRAINS) -- in a side-saddle no less, I can tell you that those horses LOVE their job. My husband couldn't STOP his 6 yr old/2nd season Irish hunter from jumping a drain that was far too wide to be jumped -- oops. They both got wet. The east coast of Ireland is WET and MUDDY. There are drains around EVERY field. It is the only way to make the land dry enough to plant. To follow the hounds, you jump the drains. Or metal farm gates. Or post and rail fences. Whatever. The horses and riders are amazing, and doing it is NORMAL for them. You can NOT force a horse to do this if they do not want to. You can encourage the green ones to teach them how to jump the ditch, but if they don't want to do it, trust me, they won't.

                      So just because you don't agree with their method of hunting, it does not make it cruel. It is everyone's opinion, just as I might think that people never riding their horse out of the ring, or turning their horses out, and just letting them be a horse, is cruel. I am sure a lot of show riders wouldn't agree -- but that is just my opinion.

                      If you haven't experienced it firsthand, making a wide-sweeping generalization off of one youtube video is pretty silly.

                      Here is a video of a double-drain that the field had to go over on our day of Irish hunting: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater. As you can see, no one is having to force their horse! Ears up and pricked, and eager to leap...
                      Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

                      Comment


                      • #71
                        Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
                        you just have to worry about hanging onto the back of your horse. I am sure he can find the way all by himself.
                        Yeah, but I'd have to ride one of those Irish horses. JJ would fall over from shock, because he's as much of a weenie as I am!
                        Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

                        Comment


                        • #72
                          Originally posted by SidesaddleRider View Post

                          Here is a video of a double-drain that the field had to go over on our day of Irish hunting: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater. As you can see, no one is having to force their horse! Ears up and pricked, and eager to leap...
                          Is that you in the sidesadde? That is awesome!

                          Way way WAY too much for me. But as a friend of mine says, everyone's horse experience doesn't have to be the same.

                          re: the first video ... who needed confirmation that the Irish are crazy? And not just about horses.
                          __________________________
                          "... if you think i'm MAD, today, of all days,
                          the best day in ten years,
                          you are SORELY MISTAKEN, MY LITTLE ANCHOVY."

                          Comment


                          • #73
                            Originally posted by arabhorse2 View Post
                            Yeah, but I'd have to ride one of those Irish horses. JJ would fall over from shock, because he's as much of a weenie as I am!
                            of course!
                            I would not try that on on a non-native horse. You need a seasoned tour guide after all!

                            Comment


                            • #74
                              Originally posted by SidesaddleRider View Post
                              As someone who only recently got back from hunting in Ireland -- in Ditch and Bank country (a/k/a, BIG FREAKIN' HUGE DRAINS) -- in a side-saddle no less, I can tell you that those horses LOVE their job. My husband couldn't STOP his 6 yr old/2nd season Irish hunter from jumping a drain that was far too wide to be jumped -- oops. They both got wet. The east coast of Ireland is WET and MUDDY. There are drains around EVERY field. It is the only way to make the land dry enough to plant. To follow the hounds, you jump the drains. Or metal farm gates. Or post and rail fences. Whatever. The horses and riders are amazing, and doing it is NORMAL for them. You can NOT force a horse to do this if they do not want to. You can encourage the green ones to teach them how to jump the ditch, but if they don't want to do it, trust me, they won't.

                              So just because you don't agree with their method of hunting, it does not make it cruel. It is everyone's opinion, just as I might think that people never riding their horse out of the ring, or turning their horses out, and just letting them be a horse, is cruel. I am sure a lot of show riders wouldn't agree -- but that is just my opinion.

                              If you haven't experienced it firsthand, making a wide-sweeping generalization off of one youtube video is pretty silly.

                              Here is a video of a double-drain that the field had to go over on our day of Irish hunting: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...type=2&theater. As you can see, no one is having to force their horse! Ears up and pricked, and eager to leap...
                              Thank you for this post Sidesaddlerider. You got a nice mention in the Irish Field paper last Sunday too.

                              Comment


                              • #75
                                Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
                                Well, when you are sitting on your grey horse that is flailing and struggling in the bank, you can be impressed with yourself that your horse WOULD take the leap for you, but it still does not answer the question of whether or not you should have asked in the first place.

                                There are a lot of things my horses would do for me that I would never ask them to. It's riding an animal whose fate depends entirely on you, not an episode of Jackass.
                                I completely agree. There are things I know my horse would do, but I would never ask him because the likelyhood of him getting hurt is pretty high.

                                To those who say their horses are having fun - plenty of horses are having fun when they run into things and tear their legs up. That pasture accident that turned your show horse into a lawn ornament was probably a blast for your horse until the last minute.

                                ETA: I am by no means against fox hunting I just think that ditch was ridiculous.

                                Comment


                                • #76
                                  Originally posted by Napoles View Post
                                  Thank you for this post Sidesaddlerider. You got a nice mention in the Irish Field paper last Sunday too.
                                  I know, but they put me down as a NON-RIDER, when it was DENISE and Caren that were the non-riders! Very annoying.
                                  Cherry Blossom Farm - Show & Field Hunters, Side Saddles

                                  Comment


                                  • #77
                                    Originally posted by OveroHunter View Post
                                    I completely agree. There are things I know my horse would do, but I would never ask him because the likelyhood of him getting hurt is pretty high.

                                    To those who say their horses are having fun - plenty of horses are having fun when they run into things and tear their legs up. That pasture accident that turned your show horse into a lawn ornament was probably a blast for your horse until the last minute.

                                    ETA: I am by no means against fox hunting I just think that ditch was ridiculous.
                                    I had a mare die in a pasture accident. I still turn my horses out in the same pasture.

                                    Pre broken ankle I would have ridden an Irish horse over that country in a heartbeat.

                                    I'm glad I don't have to clean the tack though
                                    I wasn't always a Smurf
                                    Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
                                    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
                                    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

                                    Comment


                                    • #78
                                      I am sure the horses are fine, they probably go through stuff like that every week during hunt season. Looks like fun!

                                      Comment


                                      • #79
                                        Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                                        Oh good grief - do I hear violin music? Really? A FAMOUS individual? Not just a famous individual, but a VERY FAMOUS individual? And you had to ride in a hurricane, not just any hurricane, but the storm of the century? Were you riding a drama llama?

                                        Just because others don't ride their horses in circles on a groomed surface does not make them abusive.

                                        Again, get over yourself. I doubt you could keep up with one of those clubs. I doubt I could - but I'm not so full of myself I have to accuse others of abuse to mask my own inadequacies and fears.

                                        It's Ireland. That's the topography and climate in which the horses exist. That is a fact. If you saw an Arab horse being ridden in the desert it would be no different. That is their normal. Deal with it.
                                        Hahahaha Love this response!

                                        Comment


                                        • #80
                                          Originally posted by carolprudm View Post
                                          I'm glad I don't have to clean the tack though
                                          Good point.
                                          __________________________
                                          "... if you think i'm MAD, today, of all days,
                                          the best day in ten years,
                                          you are SORELY MISTAKEN, MY LITTLE ANCHOVY."

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X