• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Mare Left in Start Gate - Behind 10 Lengths - Wins Her First Race!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by mvp View Post
    Do you think her jockey had to hold her while she was back there or that the distance she had behind the other horses helped her find her pace and just hang out until it was time to move up?
    I would guess it was probably the latter.
    www.laurienberenson.com

Comment

You had a horse stand in the gate for seconds after it opened and they didn't have you bring her back to school and break? That is crazy. I have had them make me bring a horse back because she moved her foot.
      McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

Originally posted by Laurierace View Post
        You had a horse stand in the gate for seconds after it opened and they didn't have you bring her back to school and break? That is crazy. I have had them make me bring a horse back because she moved her foot.
        I tried to say nicely that my experience was different than yours but now that you've called my veracity into question, I feel compelled to point out that horses move their feet in the starting gate all the time. It's your experience that sounds crazy to me. Perhaps the difference in my case was that the stewards trusted my trainer to be able to fix the problem on his own without their intervention.
        www.laurienberenson.com

Comment

Ok. Whether they make it official or not, the horse is going to have to go back to the gate before they let her run again. That surely we can both agree upon.
          McDowell Racing Stables

Home Away From Home

Comment

This thread reminds me of Silky Sullivan, who did not stay in the gate, but who spotted the field a lot of lengths in all his races. Sometimes he won and sometimes he lost. But he was always exciting to watch.

Comment

She's a router. Likes the distance.
              Groom to trainer: "Where's the glamour? You promised me glamour!"

Comment

From a pure physics point of view I am not sure I understand what LaurieB means. If the leaders started out with a blistering pace and slowed but the mare started out slow, it ultimately means that she had to make a blistering pace at the end. Regardless of who ran faster or slower at which part of the race, the mare ran, on average, faster than any of them otherwise she wouldn't have won.

Fun race to watch.

Comment

I saw what LaurieB saw. She had all the help in the world up front and was very lucky. As a 4YO - and from that barn - she has in all probability had tons of gate work. At that caliber of track/racing, with the top jocks and trainers, you don't worry about going on the starter's list.
                  It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

Comment

We had a colt who suddenly started flipping out in the gates, so he got schooled there a lot. Next time he raced, he did exactly what we'd been working on-standing quietly in the gates...while the field left him there. He was not put on the list.

I can't recall where I read it, but there was a good explanation somewhere that the horse who wins the race isn't actually the horse running faster than the others, but the one that is slowing down the least, since horses run progressively slower the farther they run. So if the front runners run faster in the beginning to get where they are and the closer is galloping along conserving their energy, the front runners have used up their run (since a horse can only maintain top speed for about 3 furlongs I believe) and if the pace up front is fast enough to cause the front runners to slow down rapidly, then the closer won't have to increase his speed much to get ahead of the front runners.

Comment

Originally posted by BansheeBreeze View Post

I can't recall where I read it, but there was a good explanation somewhere that the horse who wins the race isn't actually the horse running faster than the others, but the one that is slowing down the least, since horses run progressively slower the farther they run. So if the front runners run faster in the beginning to get where they are and the closer is galloping along conserving their energy, the front runners have used up their run (since a horse can only maintain top speed for about 3 furlongs I believe) and if the pace up front is fast enough to cause the front runners to slow down rapidly, then the closer won't have to increase his speed much to get ahead of the front runners.
                      Right. Think of it this way- each horse in the race is a teapot set to boil. Those teapots who were up front for the early stages were cranked up high; the teapot who lingered in the gate was set to a steady simmer. The teapots up front had boiled off all their water just as the lingering teapot got around to boiling.

Those teapots may average similar water temps, but the pot boiling at the wire was the one who mattered.

It was fun to watch, but we aren't seeing the next great American filly here.
                      bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
                      free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Comment

One of the greatest races I can remember was Secretariat's Kentucky Derby, in which he ran every quarter faster than the previous one. From the past performance section at www.secretariat.com:

"But racing fans will always talk about Secretariat’s Kentucky Derby time. First, because his final time of 1:59 2/5 broke the track record for 1 1/4 miles in the world’s most important horse race. And second, because The Big Red Horse ran faster every quarter mile of the race, just building power like a locomotive and finishing like a jet.

To come up with the horse’s ”fractional” times, experts began with the electronically-recorded times for the leader for each of the five quarter miles of the 1 1/4 miles Derby. Then, by figuring Secretariat’s racing position in relation to those times, they were able to extrapolate Secretariat’s own times for each quarter mile. They were something!

Secretariat’s quarter mile fractions:

0:25 1/5
                        0:24
                        0:23 4/5
                        0:23 2/5
                        0:23

That’s a remarkable set of fractions because it is the opposite of how most horses and horse races are run. Usually, Thoroughbreds speed the fastest at the beginning of races and gradually slow as they tire. Even horses who save their big run for the stretch are likely not running faster than they were earlier, but are more likely passing tiring horses in an ever-slowing race."

Comment

Market Quote made her second start today in the 2nd race at Santa Anita and went off as the favorite. She never threatened the leaders and finished 3rd, beaten by nearly 3 lengths.

Winner of the race was Top Kisser, the filly who provided all the speed in MQ's first race and was then was caught and beaten half a length by MQ at the wire. Top Kisser broke her maiden next out, and this was the first try in allowance company for both fillies.
                          www.laurienberenson.com

Comment

I really like Top Kisser. I'm not a fan of the closing running style, I like horses that are near the front with high cruising speeds. Silky Sullivan was crazy to watch!!!!
                            Hillary Rodham Clinton - the peoples choice for president.

Comment

Originally posted by LaurieB View Post
                              It was a nice debut, but it wasn't the second coming of Zenyatta.
                              But But But We need another one. Tall dark mare, Starts her career later in life than the average and beyond that you are right it is her first race.

Still she is so tall and dark she does remind me of Z.
                              A pussycat of a horse with a chewed off tail won the triple crown, The Cubs won the world series and Trump won the Presidency.
                              Don't tell me 'It can't be done.'

Comment

This is why I love Thoroughbred mares. Regardless of what was going on around her in that race with everybody else's speeds- she had heart.

Comment

My buddy's colt had a late break (not quite like that) and a strong close, but if you watched closely you could see the front runners run out of gas - he looked great blazing past them if you didn't see that so was everyone else. If they hung on he couldn't make it up.

It's interesting that what makes a race interesting and fun to watch isn't necessarily the best tactics or form in terms of actually winning the purse.
                                  Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                                  Incredible Invisible

Comment

If you subtract the time she stayed in the gate, was her time fast?
                                    “Pray, hope, and don't worry.”

St. Padre Pio

Comment

Reminds me of watching my one-eyed mare's first win. She stumbled (nearly face-planted at the gate) and came back to win it.
                                      http://www.nyra.com/aqueduct/videos/...0091204/9/pan/

Still sends chills down my spine to watch it...doesn't matter if it was an impressive win or not. For the average person, they're fun to watch because of the "under dog" mentality, I think.

I can also imagine being the owner, and what a roller coaster of emotions that kind of race would be.

I bet Market Quote's next race is going to be interesting to watch. Hopefully.
                                      "Life ain't always beautiful, but it's a beautiful ride."

Comment

I had a horse that got slammed by two horses while "trying" to leave the starting gate and ended up pretty much on his head, how the rider stayed on still amazes me. He ended up 25 lengths behind the field going 3/4 of a mile. He got beat a nose and on inspection after the race he had run like that with a broken splint bone.

Comment

This is my horse, Tom Archdeacon, in the Awad Stakes at Arlington in 2007:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9B2-NpuuyPQ

Comment

Working...
                                          X