• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

DAYS END RESCUE..OOK AT HOW MUCH THEY PAY THEMSELVES Most of the workers volunteer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
    She understood that DEFHR was co-ordinating a program and yes..it was Last Chance was LOOKING for donations to also use in their money raising program. She stated if they gelded them she would also keep them on her property at her expense and they could adopt them out from her farm so it would not cost them any money out of pocket.
    And in the end how many did Last Chance adopt out, how much money did Last Chance actually raise?

She may have sold 15, but she still had over 130 as I remember.
    That is more than most women of her age can manage to care for alone, or with the help of one other person.
    And of those 130 most were overdue for hoof care, dental care, and worming and some young ones were obviously not handled [much].
    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

• Original Poster

She made mistakes. She had imported a very very expensive stallion on a lease from Poland and she had orders for over 40 fillies. What are the odds that a person would breed around 50 mares and have 44 colts?

The numbers however also included ALL of the senior horses and I have gone on record saying she should have killed them all the minute they started to fail. The heck with bright eyes, flagging tails...she had put down 6 or 7 the fall before this all happened as she said she saw the loss of "Arabitis" in their eyes and movement and did not want them to suffer another winter. She did say all of the others were happy, great appetites and loved to flag their tails and bound around the field.s

None were given to any program as she was "raided" and put on a compliance order for 30 days. She had completed about 80 % of the order when they cancelled it 15 days early.

They seized the horses and shock of all shocks...some "shipped" to texas are barely halter trained and the rescues have had them for two years. So much for them condemning a breeder and then really not doing much...but after they lost the case...I guess the incentive was gone.

On an average Marsha would sell about 30-40 PER YEAR and at good prices. The recession destroyed that.

During the 80's I purchased. at a small sale in Canada, a Bask daughter who had gone through a Lasma Sale and sold for 975,000$ U.S. I got her for $400.00. That was the last major recession.
      The Elephant in the room

Comment

• So it was Last Chance Corral, not DEFHR as you originally stated? Because those are two unaffiliated organizations, as far as I know. LCC isn't even located in Maryland (they are in Ohio).
        The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
        Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Comment

• Original Poster

Analise...there was something also with DEFHR connection as that is what got the ball rolling...other than that I don't know...nothing happened...

Any thoughts on why DEFHR and GG and the others would not have rebuked Stacy when she wanted them to falsify the photos and weights for the horses?

Any ethical group would have refused....but then...HSUS does promise a lot of opportunities to make big money for these rescues...sad that theses ones had no moral standard on a personal basis in order to say...we only do what is right

Sign of the times....everyone wants something for nothing.
          The Elephant in the room

Comment

• Do you know that they didn't? I have no idea about it as you and your 'group' are the only ones I've seen discussing this. I'd prefer to see some documentation that this actually happened before making any sort of opinion on what is basically a rumor.

Comment

• Here's some info about one of Fairfax's "groups". People in glass houses....

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...fast-and-loose

Comment

• So on that linked thread, Lauraky, is the guy who is the international investigator????? for the arab rescue referenced by Misty Blue the same guy?
                Well, I guess he has inside info on some rescue ripoffs.

Comment

• Yes, Leo/Fairfax is the "investigator.".
                  "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

Analise...there was something also with DEFHR connection as that is what got the ball rolling...other than that I don't know...nothing happened...

Any thoughts on why DEFHR and GG and the others would not have rebuked Stacy when she wanted them to falsify the photos and weights for the horses?

Any ethical group would have refused....but then...HSUS does promise a lot of opportunities to make big money for these rescues...sad that theses ones had no moral standard on a personal basis in order to say...we only do what is right

Sign of the times....everyone wants something for nothing.
                    Perhaps you'd like to explain your association with ARM then. You're still listed on their website.

I think your investigations should start with your own rescue.

Comment

• ?

HI, I know where these farms are located , to be honest i look up to these farms ,
                      WHY = okay = space cadet here = i use to live there = gosh i hate writing a book =
                      i will keep it to the point not mad = they can have people vollunteer = typing =crap =
                      so people can smell air = exercise = mental help = okay= everyone has race horses =
                      they are not the draft horses = not mad here = not pointing fingers = one has them =
                      one does not = understand =looking at the money going some where = i am jealous =
                      1= lucky people have horses = people who had horses but for some unknown right
                      now don,t = want to go off a cliff because it eats at them everyday they don,t have
                      one out the back door = what am 8i saying this is to long all horse people on this
                      site get the message ... thanks for this website = anywho i am exhausted writing =
                      carry on cothers = just a thought i went to wellington fl . long time ago loved it ...
                      wish i was there every year. have lots of money . tons of horses and forget about
                      the real world
                      HOOF123...

Comment

• Original Poster

It was listed during the Vess case.

None of us are on any board or have any say.

What I will say in Terry's favor. She HELPS breeders.

She has taken horses from some dire straights and has relocated them.

Some people hate her. Some think she is cream cheese.

So...why would GG, DEFHR, Paradise and others NOT stand up for what is right and refuse to lie about weight scales?

Oh...wait...it is as I have always said... FOLLOW THE MONEY

That 1/2 million they were going to split was going to be their payoff.

On the GG accounting I can not reconcile it. They claim they lost around 200,000$ give or take a penny or so...and yet...they only claim a loss of $25,000 on their IRS form.

Guess they were not going to put in the amount they were originally claiming as it would be subject to an audit. Is that called FRAUD?
                        The Elephant in the room

Comment

• What IRS form is that when you've already complained that their 2011 990 isn't available yet?

Comment

It was listed during the Vess case.

None of us are on any board or have any say.

What I will say in Terry's favor. She HELPS breeders.

She has taken horses from some dire straights and has relocated them.

Some people hate her. Some think she is cream cheese.

So...why would GG, DEFHR, Paradise and others NOT stand up for what is right and refuse to lie about weight scales?

Oh...wait...it is as I have always said... FOLLOW THE MONEY

That 1/2 million they were going to split was going to be their payoff.

On the GG accounting I can not reconcile it. They claim they lost around 200,000$ give or take a penny or so...and yet...they only claim a loss of $25,000 on their IRS form.

Guess they were not going to put in the amount they were originally claiming as it would be subject to an audit. Is that called FRAUD?
                            No FRAUD would be ARM, you know the rescue where you are listed as the investigative officer on their website. The one that was prosecuted by NJ. That's fraud.

Comment

I spoke with him numerous occasions after Joanne called him and asked him his opinion. He because so alarmed he offered his services for free.

VetMed...what a strange statement. His family and colleagues didn't care. That was not an issue and is only used when someone wants to try and silence someone. He had an interview with a couple of publications...Horses Illustrated was one and he did not beat around the bush.

Too many on this forum not only saw his original report they also read the ones pertaining to Marhsa and other cases. Pretty damning when he out and out accused the woman from HSUS of a bias that would be negative as she hated breeders. I understand he did speak with her in order to check her qualifications.

He was not about to be intimidated by HSUS nor their affiliates.
                              I'm not sure what you're talking about regarding offering his services for free (I assume regarding the case and rescue you're discussing?). I don't know much about that case except he was to testify in what I get the feeling was not a properly done investigation. I certainly would, too, if my work was being misused. I'm referring to the "Misuse of Henneke" statement, in which it says he's stating he does not want rescues to use his scale in this manner, of which he had just discussed was inaccurate to use as the only tool/diagnostic to come to a seizure decision. Very different from what you are saying it says.

Never saw any of those articles you mention, so don't know. BUT, regardless, The "Misuse of Henneke" statement also doesn't beat around the bush. You're are taking it out of context, muddying what he was trying to say. If those articles say the same thing that statement says, you are incorrect in what he was saying.

Again, I don't know much about this case and previous reports Henneke wrote about it, it's not in my area at all. But if he found inconsistencies or improper use of his scale in either how it was applied (as in not accurately), or if it was the only diagnostic tool used to decide seizure, I'm glad he straightened them out. But you are stretching/embellishing his "Misuse of Henneke" statement as saying he doesn't want it used at all in cruelty cases. He stated he didn't want it used in this manner... as in the only diagnostic tool, and I 100% agree.
                              I would hope nobody would be intimidated by HSUS. I don't support them.
                              Last edited by Equine VetMed; Jan. 25, 2013, 09:36 PM. Reason: quote function didn't work like I thought it would.

Comment

• Originally posted by Angela Freda View Post
                                He passed away in November and he was 60.

So no answer to my question?

I'll ask again so it's clear what I am asking:

Did Dr Henneke...
                                A] go to see and touch Marshas horse in order to determine that the Henneke scale had been mis-applied
                                B] or did he determine that his scale had been mis-applied by only reviewing photos?
                                Originally posted by Angela Freda View Post
                                He passed away in November and he was 60.

So no answer to my question?

I'll ask again so it's clear what I am asking:

Did Dr Henneke...
                                A] go to see and touch Marshas horse in order to determine that the Henneke scale had been mis-applied
                                B] or did he determine that his scale had been mis-applied by only reviewing photos?
                                Don't know why I am posting other than to address the focus on 'misapplied'.

I am as yet unable to find the original 1983 publication of the 1979 study, but was able to find a 2006 Equus article which contains direct quotes by Henneke regarding application of his BCS scoring tool.

excerpts (I didn't reformat the line breaks):
                                A body score is useful, but Henneke
                                stresses that it is just one clue to overall
                                health status. “You cannot make an
                                immediate judgment on a horse’s wellbeing
                                or care based on BCS alone,”
                                he says. Older horses, for instance,
                                generally tend to have lower scores,
                                even with the best of care, as do horses
                                of certain breeds or occupations.
                                “You have to consider the whole horse
                                and his circumstances. The BCS is
                                only a guideline, and I get frustrated
                                when I see it being relied on as more
                                than that,” he adds.
                                Henneke also stresses the importance
                                of feel in determining a horse’s
                                BCS: “You might be able to get within a
                                point or two by looks alone, but you’ve
                                got to put your hands on a horse if you
                                want a specific score.”

…Finally, says Henneke, it’s important
                                to understand that there is no “right”
                                score. “Each
                                horse has his
                                own ideal condition
                                for his
                                breed and
                                occupation.
                                For
                                one horse,
                                that might include a
                                body condition score
                                of 4; for another 7 is
                                the right score. You
                                must consider all the
                                variables and not get
                                fixated on a number.
                                This system is not
                                going to replace
                                common
                                sense.”

…says Don Henneke, PhD, who created the BCS system. “People
                                will see a picture of a horse in a parched field with barbed wire
                                fences and score it as a thin, underfed 3. If you put that very same
                                horse in a tidy racetrack setting, however, he suddenly becomes a
                                fit, moderately thin 4.”

link
                                http://d1engbabf2cb77.cloudfront.net...ugust-2006.pdf

So reading this 2006 series of quotes from long before the referenced seizure of this COTH thread:
                                ...that BCS is a tool requiring visual and hands-on; visual alone is inaccurate usually by a point
                                ...that BCS alone does not determine health; metabolic analysis of blood, etc. is also necessary
                                ...that an impartial practitioner and a third party opinion is a requirement, plus a trained practitioner, to get an accurate BCS
                                ...that there is no one 'correct' BCS score for all horses, each must be on an individual assessment

Misapplied is using the BCS TOOL for something it cannot do - rate health or assigning a 'value' and 'judgment' to a specific BCS score for all horses.

Misperformed is practising doing BCS incorrectly per the procedure for doing it.

Dr. Henneke:
                                http://enidnews.com/deathnotices/x94...-Don-R-Henneke

The study was 1979 onward and published 1983, 30 years ago.

USE of the study has been ongoing and since about 2008, rescues have been re-copying a statement without basis of the 'meaning' of BCS and it's use in seizure.
                                There has been no scientific research linked to the determination of 'correct' BCS scores stated, nor to the use without metabolic confirmation. And there has been quite a bit of 'drift' of what is acceptable in the last 5 years, also without back-up beyond re-copying to the Nth degree.

'Common usage' does not imply correct usage, nor legal usage and certainly is not scientific.

Comment

• Found the 1984 reprint of the original Henneke study of 32 QH mares

http://www.sciencedirect.com/science...93691X84903832

Comment

• I didnt have time to read all 7 pages but I have volunteered at DEFHR for years and the farm two streets over works with them by buying and training the horses. They make all of their lesson students volunteer there at least once a week. There might be hundreds of volunteers on the books but I get emails every week asking for help for more volunteers. I highly doubt horses were without water as we as volunteers must fill them several times a day and the live in interns (which get some living money) have night watch. I have seen nothing but good come from DEFHR and it seems that you have a grudge for some reason. This is the first time in the MANY years I have known DEFHR that I have heard anything remotely negative. Oh and on the horses being sent out to trainers they do come back you know. They specify which horses leave for off-site training and when they come back. I have even helped with the off-site training of one of the horses
                                    "People who think their brains are not worth protecting are probably right!"
                                    - quoted by Martha Drum

Comment

• HI, ME again = just wondering how many cothers been there and at these farms
                                      finally a thread with tatooes on this town and the country singer for this song is .... keep
                                      horse plowing on ladies with this one ... or excuse me horsewomen or horsemen or cowgirls \
                                      or cowboys
                                      days end went into business in 1995 i think ....

Comment

• Originally posted by wishfulthinking711 View Post
                                        I didnt have time to read all 7 pages but I have volunteered at DEFHR for years and the farm two streets over works with them by buying and training the horses. They make all of their lesson students volunteer there at least once a week. There might be hundreds of volunteers on the books but I get emails every week asking for help for more volunteers. I highly doubt horses were without water as we as volunteers must fill them several times a day and the live in interns (which get some living money) have night watch. I have seen nothing but good come from DEFHR and it seems that you have a grudge for some reason. This is the first time in the MANY years I have known DEFHR that I have heard anything remotely negative. Oh and on the horses being sent out to trainers they do come back you know. They specify which horses leave for off-site training and when they come back. I have even helped with the off-site training of one of the horses
                                        Groups as those evolve over time, do some thing right or they would fold, do some questionable things and here, it seems, we are talking about those possibly questionable things they may be doing lately.

How much of that is maybe not quite so, what is really not up to par, that is what is being discussed here.

I know that, if the HSUS is involved in any way, from what the HSUS involvement with some other such organizations I know, there is a good cause to question what those groups do and why, especially if there is ongoing HSUS involvement.

Don't forget, HSUS is working with any animal welfare issues as a side line, a foot in the door to eventually eliminate all uses of animals by humans by causing havoc in all we do with them.
                                        The HSUS is not there to help animals AS WE USE them, but to help ELIMINATE our uses of animals, eventually.
                                        That is their ultimate goal, one battle at the time.

Anyone that allies themselves with them is already suspect as either don't know any better or are being mercenary for their short term goals, by working with the enemy of anyone that has and uses animals.

Even if we leave the HSUS out of this, I think asking questions about how and why any organization, especially non-profit ones work is important to keep them honest, too easy to cut corners to outright misuse any of them.

I think that is what is being done here, questions are being asked.

Comment

• You know, I have read most of this thread, and have come to the conclusion that it clearly takes more then coffee to make any sort of sense from some of these posts....
                                          The Equine Wellness and Nutrition FB Group - Come join us!!
                                          https://www.facebook.com/groups/equinewellness/

Comment

Working...
                                          X