• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Anyone else expecting extreme cold temps?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone else expecting extreme cold temps?

In my area, Eastern Ontario Ottawa Valley, we are expecting some pretty cold temperatures over the next few days. Highs of minus 25c(-13f) and lows even, well, lower. I am double blanketing my herd, making sure hay feeders are full(in case tractor wont start) and doing herd check ups frequently throughout the day, to check for frostbite. Water is full, heaters running overtime.
    I have a barn, not heated, and based on my experience, the horses do better outside where they can move around and keep the blood flowing, rather than being in a barn that is just as cold. There are shelters in the paddocks, so they can get out of the wind.
    Any more suggestions for dealing with the cold?
    "Anti-intellect and marketing, pretty, pretty, who needs talent
    Crying eyes, we're so outnumbered, fight for the right to remain silent" Buck 65

I was just going to chime in with lots and lots of hay! However, it looks like you already have that covered

I'm in the south, so our version of cold is in the 20s. I don't know if my boys could handle the kind of cold that you are talking about!!!

Comment

We're looking at some chilly temps around here as well. (-9 - 15 during the next week). Yuck.

I would make sure that your water sources don't freeze. Check them often throughout the day and break ice as needed. Keep hoses in the house, if you can. Nothing worse than a frozen hose! ETA: Sounds like you have that covered!

Make sure that YOU have the proper amount of clothing on. Keep as much skin covered as possible.

Comment

Also, I don't know if your horses wear neck covers, but I heard (and I could be wrong), that 30% of body heat is lost in the neck area.

Comment

• Original Poster

I keep my hoses in our heated garage, so no worries there. Horses have rounds 24/7. Two horses are OTTBs with thin skin, they will have extra coverage with their blankets, the others are hardier breeds, Morgan, Paints, Connemara, all with thick winter coats. They'll get extra blanketing as well. The Florida bred OTTB is out on board, she'll have blankets of course, and she's in a log barn that really retains the heat. I'm not even thinking of myself, just worrying about the nags.
          Crying eyes, we're so outnumbered, fight for the right to remain silent" Buck 65

Comment

Cold

Back in 1994 it went to -22f . Every 4 hrs I would tuck a rub rag in my horse's halter so his nostrils could defrost for a few minutes. Good luck, hope the cold leaves quickly.
            My mom didn't raise no jellybean salesman!

Comment

We aren't going to have negative digits that I know of, but definitely single. Is it wrong of me to think, Yay maybe my fatty will burn some calories?
              Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Cashela View Post
                We aren't going to have negative digits that I know of, but definitely single. Is it wrong of me to think, Yay maybe my fatty will burn some calories?
                Haha, I think that too, I have 3 in the "fat" paddock, they are well covered, bit still, who wants to freeze? Their ears, their noses, they must get so friggin cold!
                Two here are TB's, no way am I wasting all that grain and hay just to have them freeze it off trying to keep warm!

Comment

We're only supposed to get singles overnight but I am a little worried about the pony being outside. He's fat but not really hairy and plush like the old guy, who'll be inside. LOTS of hay.
                  Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                  Incredible Invisible

Comment

Below zero for a high for tomorrow. My Fatty-McFatterson's will only get a round bale to combat the cold. They have run ins and I've only ever blanketed a couple times in the 25+ years I've lived here. They've never had any frostbite.

In 1996 we had a genuine low of -54, not windchill mind you.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by sunridge1 View Post
                      Below zero for a high for tomorrow. My Fatty-McFatterson's will only get a round bale to combat the cold. They have run ins and I've only ever blanketed a couple times in the 25+ years I've lived here. They've never had any frostbite.

In 1996 we had a genuine low of -54, not windchill mind you.
                      Yikes, that's cold! I haven't even looked at to what our wind chill might be, but I could guess: for the Ottawa Valley, highs of -25c, lows of -30, feels like....hmmm, not hell, worse than that.....

Comment

Originally posted by up-at-5 View Post
                        In my area, Eastern Ontario Ottawa Valley, we are expecting some pretty cold temperatures over the next few days. Highs of minus 25c(-13f) and lows even, well, lower. I am double blanketing my herd, making sure hay feeders are full(in case tractor wont start) and doing herd check ups frequently throughout the day, to check for frostbite. Water is full, heaters running overtime.
                        I have a barn, not heated, and based on my experience, the horses do better outside where they can move around and keep the blood flowing, rather than being in a barn that is just as cold. There are shelters in the paddocks, so they can get out of the wind.
                        Any more suggestions for dealing with the cold?
                        I'm also in Ontario, and we are also supposed to be getting some serious cold. I don't blanket mine, but they are woolly beasts.

Just wondering, have you ever had a problem with frostbite before? I have not ever known that to be a problem with healthy adult horses.

Mine have a little extra hay and 24/7 unfrozen water, plus shelter. I spread their hay all over so they can trudge around in the snow and get some exercise, because I am certainly not riding when it's that cold!
                        Jigga:
                        Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Comment

• Original Poster

I've never personally had a problem with frostbite, but have seen horses who have suffered from it. I have a TB with a bald spot on his near elbow, and I do worry about that. Deep down I know the horses will be ok, but it's going to be so darned cold, I can't help but worry
                          Last edited by up-at-5; Jan. 20, 2013, 11:53 AM. Reason: stupid typos, not my grammar lol

Comment

I know it's blurry but here is a picture I took of my thermometer in 1996, through the window. It went down to -60 on it's face. You can see how close the hand is to -60. I did blanket my horses for those extreme temps.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f1...07124920PM.jpg

Comment

Thank God it's only supposed to stay that cold for a few days.

I packed down the run-in with lots of extra straw, cleaned the water trough, checked that the heater is working well.

Horses have been sleeping under the stars on the cold ground for the last few nights instead of in the run-in, so I'd say they are not as much impressed with cold temps as we are.

Got a load of nice orchard hay yesterday; have alfalfa too, so I guess they are all set.

Now me? That may be a different story. Probably have to dig out the Carhart coveralls.
                              \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Comment

It's -27°C and windchill down to -42°C here and it sure ain't going to change according to the weather liars. Worse is they say more snow (close to ANOTHER foot) over the next couple of brutally cold days. Horse is in, lots of food and enough water til tomorrow. It looks like it's going to take a couple of hours tomorrow to dig to the barn since the wind leaves its offering of rock hard drifts in these temps. It sucks because we have had winter here since mid-October
                                Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Comment

I'm in Montreal, Québec. *celcius

Today has been quite interresting.

8am : Raining, 2*

9am : Big fluffy snowflakes, 0*

10am : Ice rain, -2*

11am : Storm, lightning and thunder!, 1*

12 : Blizzard with lots of wind, -2*

1 pm : light snowing and just a tad windy, -4*

.... ETA: 2pm : Pretty sunny and not that cold! Heading out to the barn while I can!

And then by the end of the day, it says it will keep going down to - 25* tonight.

And the rest of the week will be between -18*, -22* and -14* during the days.

YaY
                                  Last edited by alibi_18; Jan. 20, 2013, 01:54 PM.
                                  ~ Enjoying some guac and boxed wine at the Blue Saddle inn. ~

Originally posted by LauraKY
                                  I'm sorry, but this has "eau de hoarder" smell all over it.
                                  HORSING mobile training app

Comment

just glade we moved

Comment

Originally posted by sunridge1 View Post
                                      I know it's blurry but here is a picture I took of my thermometer in 1996, through the window. It went down to -60 on it's face. You can see how close the hand is to -60. I did blanket my horses for those extreme temps.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f1...07124920PM.jpg
                                      OMG, that is so wrong on so many levels, it just is wrong, not allowed, OMG...
                                      My warmbloods have actually drunk mulled wine in the past. Not today though. A drunk warmblood is a surly warmblood. - WildandWickedWarmbloods

Comment

We've got teens today, tomorrow may hit single digits or lower w/wind chill.
                                        Today the sun is out and so are the horses.

They have free access to stalls if they want and I've added a bag of shavings to each for the cush factor (along with my normal pelleted bedding).
                                        Heated buckets in the stalls and a 50gal barrel with sinking de-icer out front are keeping them in unfrozen water.

I'm keeping my guys stoked with hay, even tossed a couple flakes onto the frozen-rock-solid ground for them to "graze".

No blankets so far this year, though I am dying to try out the new one for the big WB - he's an 84, and won't its red newness look fabulous on his 17h+ Buckskin Self?

FWIW: pony is a yak, but Big Guy - who was bred in the part of Australia with Florida temps, then lived in FL for the nxt 4 years - grew only about an inch of plush.
                                        Still testing warm everyplace, even his ear-tips.
                                        {shrugs}
                                        If we get precip I'll get to see how that blanket looks, otherwise they'll stay nekkid.
                                        *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                                        Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                                        Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                                        Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Working...
                                        X