• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Wow..."Horsemeat found in beef burgers on sale in UK and Ireland"

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • And incidentally it has now come to light that the TX law of it being illegal to ship horse meat for human consumption through the state is blatantly being ignored:

    http://www.click2houston.com/news/Ho...z/-/index.html
    ************************
    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Bluey View Post
      I sure hope they don't start making deworming illegal.
      Sure would not be nice to have wormy animals running around and then selling them for consumption, just because some animal rights extremist think dewormers are poison.
      Its been decades since I dewormed by own horses, but every tube said "not for animals to be consumed". I remember not understanding that until I realized it meant not for animals that will be eaten by humans. So yeah that figure of 100% of race horses use illegal drugs is close if 100% of race horses are dewormed. "Illegal drugs"=drugs not allowed to appear in food humans eat.
      What do you deworm your cattle with?
      ----
      Horsemeat appears on the menu in Switzerland in many restaurants, not shocking at all.
      I am surprised France needs to import it. They have a breed created specifically for meat ((the boulanais <-- sp
      -------
      I eat ikea meatballs. I swear last time I ate them they tasted off- as if they have enough protein in them.
      End of novel.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Chall View Post
        Its been decades since I dewormed by own horses, but every tube said "not for animals to be consumed". I remember not understanding that until I realized it meant not for animals that will be eaten by humans. So yeah that figure of 100% of race horses use illegal drugs is close if 100% of race horses are dewormed. "Illegal drugs"=drugs not allowed to appear in food humans eat.
        What do you deworm your cattle with?
        ----
        Horsemeat appears on the menu in Switzerland in many restaurants, not shocking at all.
        I am surprised France needs to import it. They have a breed created specifically for meat ((the boulanais <-- sp
        -------
        I eat ikea meatballs. I swear last time I ate them they tasted off- as if they have enough protein in them.
        End of novel.

        Same we use for horses.

        Comment


        • Just one question-

          What wormers used in horses are NOT used for cattle, hogs, or poultry?

          Comment


          • There are known withdrawal times for cattle, hogs and poultry. The same types of meds are used. Any medication used on food animals must state what the withdrawal time is. It is possible that we don't have the research to specifically know the withdrawal times on horses so the drugs are not approved for their use. Perhaps a vet would know more?
            “Pray, hope, and don't worry.”

            St. Padre Pio

            Comment


            • Originally posted by microbovine View Post
              There are known withdrawal times for cattle, hogs and poultry. The same types of meds are used. Any medication used on food animals must state what the withdrawal time is. It is possible that we don't have the research to specifically know the withdrawal times on horses so the drugs are not approved for their use. Perhaps a vet would know more?
              I am thinking to determin withdrawl time the drug company has to undergo substantial tests and research, which spells a lot of $$$ for them.
              Since horses generally do not end up in slaughter, they can forgo that expense and just label it 'not for consumption'

              Comment


              • http://worldradio.ch/wrs/news/wrsnew...ns.shtml?34739

                Bern to take action on feedlot conditions



                The Federal Veterinary Office says it will act after video evidence of the awful conditions in which horses are bred for slaughter across the Atlantic.

                Farms in Canada, the U.S., Argentina and Mexico produce much of the horsemeat imported and sold in Switzerland.

                The investigation was carried out by Zurich’s animal protection association.

                Swiss authorities say they’ll demand explanations from the countries concerned and force importers to take a clear stance on respecting animal rights.
                ************************
                \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

                Comment


                • http://www.thedailybeast.com/newswee...lth-risks.html

                  Some important statements from this article:

                  Otherwise known as “bute,” the drug is a potent equine painkiller that’s prohibited in horse meat produced by EU trading partners, including the U.S., where 95-100 percent of horses are estimated to be “buted.”

                  As the USDA’s Food Safety and Inspection Service stated back in 2007, “phenylbutazone is considered to be one of the most toxic non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs. It is not approved for use in food animals and there are no regulatory limits, such as acceptable daily intake or safe concentration for meat, established by the Food and Drug Administration. Therefore, the presence of any amount of phenylbutazone in food animal tissue will be considered a violation and likely to be unsafe for human consumption.” -

                  Horses—and particularly racehorses—are walking pharmacies. “Eating them is about as healthful as eating food contaminated with DDT,” says Dodman, a professor of clinical sciences at Tufts University’s Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine and the director of its Animal Behavior Clinic. -
                  ************************
                  \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

                  Comment


                  • Good article, except for the "particularly racehorses" part, with which I take issue. Show horses have LONG since left race horses in the dust in the "walking pharmacies" sweepstakes.

                    Worried about withdrawal times? Ask USEF. They know.
                    "The standard you walk by is the standard you accept."--Lt. Gen. David Morrison, Austalian Army Chief

                    Comment


                    • Now horse has been found in Taco Bell meat in Europe.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by rmh_rider View Post
                        Now horse has been found in Taco Bell meat in Europe.
                        surprised?

                        it comes from the same low price type providers....

                        maybe we can get the food industry cleaned up after this.

                        Comment


                        • Gives “mystery meat” a whole new meaning – dontchathink?

                          Comment


                          • I don't think this list is complete because I don't see Burger King on it:

                            http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-21412590
                            ************************
                            \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by rmh_rider View Post
                              Gives “mystery meat” a whole new meaning – dontchathink?
                              <shrug>

                              A friend of mine grew up with a crazy mother.
                              She would serve up whatever she could shove in the pot, not tell the family it was gopher or whatever until they had loaded their plated, now being forced to finish eating what they took.
                              Roast beast.

                              In the 1920 I think Hamburg, Germany had the infamous case of the butcher Harmann....they finally connected him to missing people....some more stew?

                              Comment


                              • Trust in food production plummets amid horsemeat scandal
                                It’s being described as among the biggest commercial frauds ever uncovered. And earlier this week the horsemeat scandal ended up hitting Swiss consumers too. After initially denying it had any affected products, the Swiss supermarket chain Coop ended up pulling lasagna off its shelves. There’s a health risk, lack of transparency, but above all, now, there’s a lack of trust. WRS’ Lucas Chambers reports:

                                This is reported by the WRS (World Radio Switzerland)..over here we call it the equivalent to the National Enquirer..radio style

                                Switzerland is the home of the Rara's for Europe. I always find their indignation unique...they do eat horse meat...it was found listed as beef...but NONE has been tested as unsafe...I can't find any reports stating drugs were discovered...but again...this coming from THE COUNTRY that invented secrecy and fought against the U.S. over having to disclose numbered bank accounts...(they sure hid a lot of WWII stolen money)

                                Horses BRED for slaughter? in Canada and the U.S. ? They did take pictures of the feedlots which have the horses to comply with the passport 6 month demand but those are NOT breeding farms...Switaerland was either second or third on Wayne Paceles European trip.
                                The Elephant in the room

                                Comment


                                • Could horse meat end up on your dinner table?

                                  http://www.wsmv.com/story/21537348/c...r-dinner-table
                                  ************************
                                  \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

                                  Comment


                                  • (Reuters). The supervisory authorities of the states examined now 1,924 food samples undeclared horsemeat and identification has been made in 126 cases. That the Federal Ministry of Agriculture said on Thursday in Berlin. Three weeks ago, t...he first deliveries were incorrectly labeled products with horsemeat known from other European countries.

                                    The 126 documents are distributed as follows among the federal states: Berlin (3), Brandenburg (7), Baden-Württemberg (11), Bavaria (9), Bremen (5), Hesse (18), Hamburg (4), North Rhine- Westphalia (42), Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania (10), Lower Saxony (9), Saarland (2) Saxony-Anhalt (6). IN QUESTION for the majority of recent positive test results but in fact are the confirmation of known cases, and products that have already been taken off the market, the ministry said.

                                    (Overview of these products on the Internet at www.pferdefleisch-rueckrufe.de)

                                    http://www.welt.de/newsticker/news3/...-entdeckt.html
                                    ************************
                                    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

                                    Comment


                                    • Originally posted by luvmytbs View Post
                                      http://worldradio.ch/wrs/news/wrsnew...ns.shtml?34739

                                      Bern to take action on feedlot conditions



                                      The Federal Veterinary Office says it will act after video evidence of the awful conditions in which horses are bred for slaughter across the Atlantic.

                                      Farms in Canada, the U.S., Argentina and Mexico produce much of the horsemeat imported and sold in Switzerland.

                                      The investigation was carried out by Zurich’s animal protection association.

                                      Swiss authorities say they’ll demand explanations from the countries concerned and force importers to take a clear stance on respecting animal rights.
                                      Have you ever heard of politicians pontificating?

                                      In Canada and the U.S.A and Mexico horses are NOT bred for slaughter and kept in feedlots.

                                      Of course the European Animal Rights groups claimed that as there were mares with foals in feedlots.

                                      When they did their inspection at the Montana feedlots they were suyrprised to discover they had been BS'd.

                                      They were also suprised to discover their videos they had to confront everyone with..did not match any feedlots..as claimed.

                                      Farms RARELY produce much of the horsemeat..

                                      Gosh..anyone who has looked on Craigs list...and everywhere else..knows you can buy a horse cheaper than you could produce one...especially with feed costs.

                                      For those who oppose slaughter...if all the horses are refused by Europe, the companies will either develope the Asian market to its fullest potentil OR they will go under. If they go under and only a few horses are slaughter...rendering etc..you watch ...all of those who demanded a ban..and claimed THEY had ideas..will scurry for the hills..and claim breeders bad...

                                      This is all about the power of controlling others AND getting donations for it.

                                      Intesting times...
                                      The Elephant in the room

                                      Comment


                                      • Originally posted by luvmytbs View Post
                                        (Reuters). The supervisory authorities of the states examined now 1,924 food samples undeclared horsemeat and identification has been made in 126 cases. That the Federal Ministry of Agriculture said on Thursday in Berlin. Three weeks ago, t...he first deliveries were incorrectly labeled products with horsemeat known from other European countries.

                                        The 126 documents are distributed as follows among the federal states: Berlin (3), Brandenburg (7), Baden-Württemberg (11), Bavaria (9), Bremen (5), Hesse (18), Hamburg (4), North Rhine- Westphalia (42), Mecklenburg-Western Pomerania (10), Lower Saxony (9), Saarland (2) Saxony-Anhalt (6). IN QUESTION for the majority of recent positive test results but in fact are the confirmation of known cases, and products that have already been taken off the market, the ministry said.

                                        (Overview of these products on the Internet at www.pferdefleisch-rueckrufe.de)

                                        http://www.welt.de/newsticker/news3/...-entdeckt.html
                                        And this has "what" to do with North American slaughter?
                                        The Elephant in the room

                                        Comment


                                        • Originally posted by Fairfax View Post
                                          Have you ever heard of politicians pontificating?

                                          In Canada and the U.S.A and Mexico horses are NOT bred for slaughter and kept in feedlots.

                                          Of course the European Animal Rights groups claimed that as there were mares with foals in feedlots.

                                          When they did their inspection at the Montana feedlots they were suyrprised to discover they had been BS'd.

                                          They were also suprised to discover their videos they had to confront everyone with..did not match any feedlots..as claimed.

                                          Farms RARELY produce much of the horsemeat..

                                          Gosh..anyone who has looked on Craigs list...and everywhere else..knows you can buy a horse cheaper than you could produce one...especially with feed costs.

                                          For those who oppose slaughter...if all the horses are refused by Europe, the companies will either develope the Asian market to its fullest potentil OR they will go under. If they go under and only a few horses are slaughter...rendering etc..you watch ...all of those who demanded a ban..and claimed THEY had ideas..will scurry for the hills..and claim breeders bad...

                                          This is all about the power of controlling others AND getting donations for it.

                                          Intesting times...
                                          You are denying there are horse feedlots in Canada????????????

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X