• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

baling twine, hay carts, and other random less than nessicary items...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• baling twine, hay carts, and other random less than nessicary items...

I'm really hoping someone has some nifty ideas about keeping and collecting baling twine as you open bales.... much to my dismay I have to deal with baling twine from squares and was pondering after opening a bale today... just where could I put it until I disposed of it. Granted, I could toss it in the can.. but it seems that anytime I just toss it I have a need for it later. SO... does anyone have a handy dandy little thing-a-ma-bob for storing baler twine?

I was thinking something along the lines of those cloth grocery bag sleeves you see, but I don't think one of those would hold much baler twine... anyone out there with a great idea already in exisitance?

Haycart.... does anyone have any leads on something I can set a bale of hay on and wheel it behind me or in front of me with one hand so that flakes can be doled out as needed? I'm REALLY sick of getting hay chaff down my bra everytime I carry half a bale out to toss to the horses. In a a few months I"m going to be down one hand for tossing hay(BabySling with one arm on baby). I haven't really seen anything that strikes my fancy in any of the usual catalogs. Please let me in on your secrets oh wise Cothers. ;-)
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

I'm not much help in the twine department. I just hang mine on assorted hooks around the barn. Then when they get huge, I roll it and toss it.

BUT for the cart, you cannot go wrong with a Rubbermaid Big Wheel Farm Tough Cart: http://www.cleaningstuff.net/cleanin...Cart-5642,.htm

They easily push or pull and turn on a dime. I use my Tough Cart for everything! Worth every penny.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

We have a large pole barn nail up high in the feed room where all the twine goes. Then when the nail is full in the trash it goes!

Comment

• Original Poster

My *ahem* MIL hangs it all over the hog panels that they use as stall grates.... I hate it... it's like it's EVERYWHERE!!!!! and the blaze oragne..... it's just soo..... unsightly.... I'm being a big baby about it, I know that.... I just feel the need to rebel. I also don't have a "feed room" I keep the feed here IN my house and take buckets with me now, and hay is stored next to the barn so I bring it in bale per bale as needed and what I don't use sits in the isle way in front of my horses stalls until it is used. Really not "ideal" but if you get me started I will rant for a really long time about MIL and associated MIL issues and how they impact me and my horses.

Chocomare, I knew you'd have some ideas! lol I thought about one of those carts.. I just bought a NICE NEW big two front wheeled wheelbarrow that I may use for it, after I have it out with said MIL for leaving feces in it... *deep breathe* *I will not yell... I will not yell... I willnot yell*

Keep the ideas coming people... please!!!!
        If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Comment

I braid the choicest hay strings to be used for whenever I need to tie something down with. Comes in really handy for a lot of things. I can just cut off the length that I need.

To transport my hay bales more easily ( since they are 80# +) I went to Tractor Supply and got one of those garden wagons that you can fold the sides down on for a flat bed, or put the sides up to hold everything in. One bale of hay fits handily in mine, they come in different sizes, and the bigger ones even have an adjustable handle that you can either pull by hand or attach to a lawn tractor or golf cart.
          "I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you..."

Comment

See I had considered a two-wheeled wheelbarrow....but you can't pull them. -- With the Tough Cart, I can do 2 bales of hay, pushed or pulled and turned tightly when maneuvering into a gate being crowded by a big draft mare .

I've even used it to move a friend's tack closet...made a great handtruck!

It saved our butts when the water hydrant was out of commission in the pasture. I filled the cart 2/3'rds full at the barn and carefully rolled it out to the pasture tub and dumped.

NOTE: On any Rubbermaid thingie, keep it out of sunlight. That'll break it down and make it crack. Four years of HARD abuse and my cart is still going strong.....God bless it!
            <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

Originally posted by Over the Hill View Post
              To transport my hay bales more easily ( since they are 80# +) I went to Tractor Supply and got one of those garden wagons that you can fold the sides down on for a flat bed, or put the sides up to hold everything in. One bale of hay fits handily in mine, they come in different sizes, and the bigger ones even have an adjustable handle that you can either pull by hand or attach to a lawn tractor or golf cart.
              Yes - we use one of these too - VERY nice!

We have a bale knife tied on the handle to easily cut the twine string.

Comment

Chocomare: I've been coveting a 2-wheel barrow too, but if it can;t be pulled then...Nevermind < said in my best Roseannroseannadanna voice

Catersun - I bundle my baling twin as I remove it from the bales then toss it in a bushel basket. That way if I need a string or two they are neatly rolled & ready. When the basket is full it gets dumped in the trash.
                Someone on here posted that their hay guy recycles the twine (keep meaning to ask my guy) but I can't see how that could be done.

As for the MIL rant, feel free.
                feces? in the wheelbarrow? I hope you don't mean manure...
                Dog poop would be gross, but manure-in-wheelbarrow is the standard here until it's full enough for a trip to the pile.
                *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

For moving one bale of hay.... Sams Club has the most amazing hand-truck for under $25: http://www.samsclub.com/shopping/nav...=5&item=370146 It fits one bale (vertical) perfectly, two (horizontal) if your surface is flat. Big enough tires to roll through grass and dirt. It doesn't do that great once a bale is cut apart, but everyone needs one of these in their trailer for when the stabling is 6 miles from trailer parking.
                  my horse trailer was stolen from kentucky horse park. Seen it?

Comment

Originally posted by 2DogsFarm View Post
                    Chocomare: I've been coveting a 2-wheel barrow too, but if it can;t be pulled then...Nevermind < said in my best Roseannroseannadanna voice

Psssstttt...Ahem...."Nevermind" was actually Emila Litela http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3FnpaWQJO0

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ChocoMare View Post
                      See I had considered a two-wheeled wheelbarrow....but you can't pull them. -- With the Tough Cart, I can do 2 bales of hay, pushed or pulled and turned tightly when maneuvering into a gate being crowded by a big draft mare .

:
                      I can pull Mine.. I got it at sams when they were on sale, very handy.. moves easily and was under $50. It's just bigger than I'd like to have to deal with moving hay around.

*sigh* yes, it is manure, but I'm nearly 8 months preggo and can't lift it when it is even half full. It's a BIG wheelbarrow. She rusted the last three out leaving poo in them. I bought a new one for myself when the last one got too bad, and then without asking or thanks she started using mine.

Although this is because suddenly very low on the list of important things. I need to move my horses.... for mine and my husbands sanity.

I really need to blow off steam.... the mil ambushed poor DH.... HuntJump- P'aint Misbehavin .. if ya'll read this.. we need to go get coffee. I need some perspective.

Anyone having followed former threads on the topic of MIL's and inheriting farms..... that anwser is unequivically.. No, it is not worth it.

Comment

Hmph...sorry to hear about the MIL issues Obviously no one sat her down before you married her son to give her the World's Best Advice to Future Mother-in-Laws to be......:
                        How To Be A Good Mother-In-Law: Wear beige and keep your mouth shut.

Comment

Can't help with MIL's but we bought one of the Rubbermaid carts 13 years ago and
                          don't worry about leaving it out in the sun and it's still going strong. Think we bought
                          it a new set of tires several years ago. Always been worth it's weight....

Comment

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?actio...218&lpage=none

I like this one!! My mom has one that is now strictly a garden cart because the horse doesn't live there anymore but for years was a hay cart. My mom doesn't have this exact model but similar and it handles "off road" really well. On thanksgiving one year she fell off the steps on our dock and hurt her ankle. We pulled the garden cart down to the pond (about a 1/4 mile), mom jumped on and we pulled her back to the house . Mom was fine and the cart seemed to enjoy the change of pace .
                            There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by ChocoMare View Post
                              Hmph...sorry to hear about the MIL issues Obviously no one sat her down before you married her son to give her the World's Best Advice to Future Mother-in-Laws to be......:
                              How To Be A Good Mother-In-Law: Wear beige and keep your mouth shut.

She has very selective memory..... if someone told her... she promptly forgot.

Poor Husband.... It makes me really wonder how he came out so.... sane! Although I have a very clear understanding of why his selective hearing is sooooooo good.

Comment

I keep a 5 gallon bucket right where the hay is stored, wrap the twine in a know and throw it in the bucket. When the bucket's full... burn pile or trash. I've actually thought about weaving it into a rug, LOL, but would probably go insane before it was 2x2.
                                Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
                                Witherun Farm
                                http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Comment

For your twine storage issue...do you have a Container Store near you? If not, check them out online. But try not to spend your life savings. That place is dangerous. You could outfit your whole barn, life....everything. But they have some really really neat things.

And I agree, the Rubbermaid carts will last forever....unless you have some really, uh, simple barn help. I don't know how the handle on my two month old one became cracked. I can only imagine. I've NEVER been able to break one myself. Just had to replace tires or wheels after years of service.
                                  "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

For the twine strings, I roll them up around my hand, then put them in my pocket. After a few hours in a pocket (or days in case of the barn coat), they are squished in to a neat little roll that will hold its shape when you empty your pockets and toss the twine in whatever, then decide you need to retrieve it later for other use.

The up side is I ALWAYS have a string or two on me if I find myself needing a string for something.

Comment

I twist and bundle my hay twine into little individual bundles and use them as fire starters in the fireplace! Much better than paper!

Comment

Working...
                                      X