• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Difficulties in finding a registered Quarter horse. Is this normal?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Difficulties in finding a registered Quarter horse. Is this normal?

I have decided to purchase a Quarter Horse. I have 2 OTTBs which I adore but unless I keep on eventing or jumping, few shows to go to with them in this area. I will still keep riding dressage with my boys but since I actually like to go to shows and since my friends go to AQHA shows, I thought that a QH may be a good addition to the horse family. If I could find one that raced, even better since I like to give racers a second career.
    Wow, it has been quite a challenge. I thought it would be easier. The main problem is that all the QH I have checked out, 12 so far, are nice horses but their papers are not in order. All were still in the original owners name and the next owner, 3rd owner, etc. never sent in the Transfer of ownership form. I have even searched for original owners, found a few, asked if they would be willing to do the transfer, and have been put on ignore.
    According to AQHA, unless the horse is in my name, cannot show in AQHA shows, at least that is how I read the rules. If different, I am all ears! I would show in the Amateur division. I am baffled that so many people would not get transfers done in their names. And according to the AQHA, it is the SELLER that is supposed to be sending in the Transfer form.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I am assuming this is somewhat common and have you found any solutions to getting paperwork fixed with the AQHA if transfers from previous owners not sent in?

There are also many QH that are 'Grade' or unregistered yet the owner knows the horses breeding so assuming that these QH are unregistered due to the Transfer form, or lack there of.

Maybe I am looking in the wrong places. I have looked on Dreamhorse, wikihorse and local listings. Any suggestions for good sites that have legally registered QHs here in the Western US? Im not looking for a made western pleasure QH, rather just want to do some english and go for dressage points. Not looking to win big, I know the QH scene is competitive. Just like going to shows with friends and some having some more showing options. Even some trail riding. A nice QH to balance out my Storm Cat OTTB geldings, would be good!
    www.ottbjumpers.weebly.com

Originally posted by canterhavenfarm View Post
    I have decided to purchase a Quarter Horse. I have 2 OTTBs which I adore but unless I keep on eventing or jumping, few shows to go to with them in this area. I will still keep riding dressage with my boys but since I actually like to go to shows and since my friends go to AQHA shows, I thought that a QH may be a good addition to the horse family. If I could find one that raced, even better since I like to give racers a second career.
    Wow, it has been quite a challenge. I thought it would be easier. The main problem is that all the QH I have checked out, 12 so far, are nice horses but their papers are not in order. All were still in the original owners name and the next owner, 3rd owner, etc. never sent in the Transfer of ownership form. I have even searched for original owners, found a few, asked if they would be willing to do the transfer, and have been put on ignore.
    According to AQHA, unless the horse is in my name, cannot show in AQHA shows, at least that is how I read the rules. If different, I am all ears! I would show in the Amateur division. I am baffled that so many people would not get transfers done in their names. And according to the AQHA, it is the SELLER that is supposed to be sending in the Transfer form.

Has anyone else experienced this problem? I am assuming this is somewhat common and have you found any solutions to getting paperwork fixed with the AQHA if transfers from previous owners not sent in?

There are also many QH that are 'Grade' or unregistered yet the owner knows the horses breeding so assuming that these QH are unregistered due to the Transfer form, or lack there of.

Maybe I am looking in the wrong places. I have looked on Dreamhorse, wikihorse and local listings. Any suggestions for good sites that have legally registered QHs here in the Western US? Im not looking for a made western pleasure QH, rather just want to do some english and go for dressage points. Not looking to win big, I know the QH scene is competitive. Just like going to shows with friends and some having some more showing options. Even some trail riding. A nice QH to balance out my Storm Cat OTTB geldings, would be good!
    Try LOPE in Texas. They started out as a CANTER chapter but have moved on to include QH ex racers.

Comment

You are aware of the genetic syndrome HYPP? That's one reason otherwise registerable QH are sold as grade, not because of transfer forms.

Try the keywords Appendix to get a QH with racing bloodlines. I'm not sure you'd want a made English QH - the Hunter Under Saddle, look at youtube for examples.

Alagirls suggestion is good.
      Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
      Incredible Invisible

Comment

HYPP is carried by ONE line of QH's and if they are registered... THEY ARE TESTED. I had an Impressive mare and she was registered and tested as soon as HYPP became a thing. It is not something that ALL QH's can get, it is carried in one bloodline. The chances of a horse having HYPP are also very low, but it is carried in the Impressive lines so it is TESTED for upon registering. If an Impressive bloodline ISN'T tested for its probably becasue they are older and that wasn't a big deal when it was younger.

I know a lot of QH people and well horse people in general don't transfer papers because they don't show in breed shows. It is something that slips their mind. I JUST got my QH transfered into my name, and they original transfer papers were signed by his breeder. He had been through five owners before me and was sold as a YEARLING STALLION, he is 11 now!!! I would say breeders are your best bet. If they are racing or OTQH they are registered! Try a OTQH breeder/trainer around your area? Maybe they have something that isn't going right or is a teaser pony.. or they know someone!

Also, on your online search mark 'REGISTERED' as advanced option!
        www.thetexasequestrian.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks! Just got on the LOPE site. There are a few!
          I have heard about HYPP but until you mentioned it, never thought that would be why not registered. Good info.

Comment

Doesn't the AQHA website have classifieds? I'd try there as one would "assume" that if they're on the AQHA site, they'd be AQHA horses! If nothing else, the website should have a calendar of shows. You might go to some shows and check the boards there and talk to people whose horses you like.

The QH market took a HUGE hit with the economy and has not recovered. In Texas/OK there are literally 1000's of horses for nothing or next to nothing.
            www.debracysporthorses.com
            Home of Sea Accounts xx
            AHS/HV, ATA, GOV, RPSI, JC, AQHA, APHA, APtHA
            "LIKE" www.facebook.com/SeaAccounts

Comment

If an earlier owner who sold the horse signed off the transfer papers, isn't that all you need? Can you put it into your name from there, skipping the owners in the middle?
              Jigga:
              Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Comment

Originally posted by cyriz's mom View Post
                Doesn't the AQHA website have classifieds? I'd try there as one would "assume" that if they're on the AQHA site, they'd be AQHA horses! If nothing else, the website should have a calendar of shows. You might go to some shows and check the boards there and talk to people whose horses you like.

The QH market took a HUGE hit with the economy and has not recovered. In Texas/OK there are literally 1000's of horses for nothing or next to nothing.
                They do but it takes you to equine.com I believe.

Originally posted by saultgirl View Post
                If an earlier owner who sold the horse signed off the transfer papers, isn't that all you need? Can you put it into your name from there, skipping the owners in the middle?
                That is what I did with my gelding! Even though the transfer papers were 10 years old, they transfered to me without a problem!

Happy QH hunting!
                www.thetexasequestrian.com

Comment

Originally posted by saultgirl View Post
                  Yep, you can do this. My horse has the transfer papers from his third owner....I'm his eighth. There won't be an issue transferring him into my name (I've called and checked) I just haven't bothered to do it because I'm not interested in breed shows, and it's not like he's not who the papers say he is just because my name isn't typed on them...

Comment

Here is an OTQH in the CANTER Colorado listings. They seem to have a few QH in the mix.

http://www.canterusa.org/index.php?o...ngs&Itemid=397

Comment

There is a really nice one at Camelot auction right now, see https://www.facebook.com/#!/media/se...7387049&type=3
                      Jeanie
                      RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Comment

If you want to do the auction route, there is a HUGE racing QH auction in Oklahoma called Heritage Place. My ex's family got their barrel racers from there and had a lot of lovely horses.

Comment

• Original Poster

yes, I heard that if there is a transfer form filled out by the person last listed on the registration, that works. So far I have yet to find owners who even have that. They have the AQHA papers but no transfer form from the the last listed owner. I must say that I do like my AQHA membership and the ability to check out a horses official ownership, performance, etc. Very handy.

Thanks for the links and names of the auctions. I would do the auction route if I had an idea horses going to be there. I am in Utah so out of state auctions can be a challenge. I think some auctions post in advance but then there is the purchasing without meeting the horse and getting an idea of personality ( Which I have done, Got my OTTB right off the track from a photo only. Drove to CA the day after he was listed. )

I wonder if the CANTER CO site is current? The QHs there were last updated in september. There are 2 that are of intereste but may be in New Mexico now.

Comment

We do our best to update the CANTER Colorado site as horses sell. Our season here ends mid August, so trainers leave for other states. Robert Rivera went for New Mexico a few weeks before Arapahoe went dark. Trainers generally reach out to us as horses get sold, but sometimes not.

We do try our best! If you find a horse on our site had sold, please let us know and we will remove it.

Comment

Why not contact AQHA trainers that show in the classes you want to show in?
                              They generally know what is available and suitable for what you want to do.
                              Go to some shows and talk to them.

Comment

If you will do an auction, Professional Auction Services [Tim & Steve Jennings] are now doing online catalog sales. Consigning horses across the country, you can look @ just the ones close to you.
                                This one currently;
                                Heck Yea! Quarter Horses LLC Dispersal
                                www.ProHorseServices.com
                                Complete Dispersal ONLINE
                                Bidding Opens Friday, January 25
                                Bidding Closes Tuesday, January 29

Comment

A lot of people who own Quarter Horses don't show at AQHA shows (show at unrated shows, discipline shows such as NCHA or NRHA or just trail ride) so having the horse's papers in their names has no reason and is an additional expense.

Comment

Originally posted by Renae View Post
                                    A lot of people who own Quarter Horses don't show at AQHA shows (show at unrated shows, discipline shows such as NCHA or NRHA or just trail ride) so having the horse's papers in their names has no reason and is an additional expense.
                                    So they are saving $15 dollars and on how many horses, a couple or three?
                                    Then they lose the papers or transfer and want to sell the horse and can't get a duplicate copy of the papers because they never did transfer him in their name.
                                    I just went thru six months of this kind of trouble last yearwith someone that lied about the status of the paperwork on a horse he was selling.

I think it is good management, unless you are reselling the horse right away, to go ahead and clear the paperwork, so he is in your name as owner of record.

Comment

I CANNOT stand this! The people who are too lazy or cheap to keep a registered animals papers up to date ruin it for the people who come along and buy the horse and then want the horse in their name. And then they get screwed because either they can't or it costs them way more than it should have if everyone had done their part.

Comment

Its $55 to transfer ownership if you are not an AQHA member. And if you have no intentions of being involved with the AQHA, yes $55 is something some people would much rather spend on something else.

Just pointing out where a lot of people that own Quarter Horses are coming from and why there are grade Quarter Horses.

Comment

Working...
                                        X