• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I'm about to lose my mind!!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    Aw. I feel your pain. My dad (now passed on) absolutely LOVED my old husky mix dog, Brin (also passed on). Dad thought I wasn't feeding her enough and when we'd visit he'd stuff her with dog biscuits or those horrible Snausage treats.

    The only thing I could do to stop it was to not bring her with me when I visited - and he'd be crushed. He did NOT want to hear how an old dog couldn't handle gobs of treats. We'd talk about it and he'd get mad at me and grumble, mumble as only a dad can do.

    One day I saw him feeding Brin biscuit after biscuit (he thought I couldn't see him). I think the count was up to ten before she stopped gulping them down. I didn't say anything because I knew just what would happen.

    We're in his living room and...."erp" here came all the biscuits up all over dad's rug. That was the only thing that worked. Dad certainly wasn't going to listen to ME. He SAW what his 'kindness' had done to her and he never overfed her again.

    I'd hate to have your mini founder because your dad just didn't get it. I agree with your move of your little guy. It's for the best. You dad may grumble quite a bit but your little horse will be safe.

    Comment


    • #42
      Originally posted by TheHunterKid90 View Post
      Although he won't let us catch them to spay and neuter them either. :/
      Would he notice if you snagged one or two every now and again until they were all done?

      Comment


      • #43
        Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
        Would he notice if you snagged one or two every now and again until they were all done?
        Probably would notice when they returned with shaved spots!
        "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

        Comment

        • Original Poster

          #44
          Originally posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
          Probably would notice when they returned with shaved spots!

          Our local humane society does a low cost spay and neuter for people over 70. You buy a voucher for $5 and the low cost clinic will spay or neuter and give rabies as distemper shots. It's an amazing deal.
          He's the only one over 70. And frankly I cannot afford to pay for all of them to be spayed an neutered.

          Comment


          • #45
            Originally posted by SuckerForHorses View Post
            Probably would notice when they returned with shaved spots!
            I guess. My barn cats are not prone to displaying their bellies while I am doing chores so I figured that was pretty safe.

            Comment


            • #46
              Originally posted by TheHunterKid90 View Post
              Our local humane society does a low cost spay and neuter for people over 70. You buy a voucher for $5 and the low cost clinic will spay or neuter and give rabies as distemper shots. It's an amazing deal.
              He's the only one over 70. And frankly I cannot afford to pay for all of them to be spayed an neutered.
              Well, considering that a cat neuter costs the vet (and I quote mine) "about a dollar for the anesthesia", and that for his entire career my vet's standard charge for neutering a cat has been a six pack of beer, I really have to wonder what all gets so expensive when the small animal clinics get on a roll.

              Perhaps the horse vet can do it on the back of the pick up when s/he comes around for the mini.
              The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
              Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
              Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
              The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
                Perhaps the horse vet can do it on the back of the pick up when s/he comes around for the mini.
                Probably the neuters. Spays are not that easy. The problem is neuter all the boys and there will still be some feral male out there to come breed all the females if they are not spayed.

                Comment


                • #48
                  Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
                  Well, considering that a cat neuter costs the vet (and I quote mine) "about a dollar for the anesthesia", and that for his entire career my vet's standard charge for neutering a cat has been a six pack of beer, I really have to wonder what all gets so expensive when the small animal clinics get on a roll.

                  Perhaps the horse vet can do it on the back of the pick up when s/he comes around for the mini.
                  I can't speak for small animal veterinarians because I am not one, but to me, if you're interested in best practices, then it's not something you do in the back of a truck with an injectable anes on board only.

                  I can see that there's an argument to be made for the fact that we're talking barn cats, not someone's house cat pet and that it's better to neuter than not. But in this day and age when we have a better understanding of anesthesia, pain management, etc, offering best practices costs money.

                  Most small animal clinics in good standing are going to do the procedure in an OR ($$) use a gas anesthetic ($$), have the animal monitored (machine costs money), have a certified technician assisting ($$) be using sterile supplies, possibly do pre-anes bloodwork, IV during procedure, hospitalize to monitor, send home on pain meds, etc.

                  I realize that not everyone wants to go to that level for their barn cats, but if you DO want to offer them the current best practices, it costs money.
                  A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

                  Might be a reason, never an excuse...

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    Our owner pays full price for all our vet bills and for those of her dogs and cats. And for our farrier care.

                    However, she has over the years gotten vets to give big discounts and even do free vet care for dogs and cats and horses in need that are not her own animals. You're paying for the vet's expertise, so it may cost less than 50 or 100 to spay a cat in meds and sutures, but it's not "pennies" or a six pack. Unless it's a very expensive bier. That's like saying it only costs a farrier the price of a few nails to reset our shoes, duh. We pay for them to go to seminars and keep up with the best vet and farrier care we can get.

                    You can talk to the vet and ask for a discount. Simply explain the issues and ask for a discount. Same with farriers. You'd be surprised at the discounts given by vets and farriers if the animals are not yours.

                    Our vets and farriers make enough money off of us to be able to donate their time for those in need. And the spays and alters are done on the operating table, not out in the back of a truck. Same with our vet. He has a surgery in a building. With a viewing area in the balcony for owners who want to watch his expert skills in saving horses.

                    If you don't ask, the vet won't volunteer. But if you ask, you might be happily surprised to find that your vet has a heart and will discount.

                    Comment


                    • #50
                      Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                      Probably the neuters. Spays are not that easy. The problem is neuter all the boys and there will still be some feral male out there to come breed all the females if they are not spayed.
                      At least if its a stray from outside of the circle, there will be less chance for inbreeding.
                      "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

                      Comment


                      • #51
                        Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
                        I can't speak for small animal veterinarians because I am not one, but to me, if you're interested in best practices, then it's not something you do in the back of a truck with an injectable anes on board only.
                        I'll never forget my grandmother's reaction to her first post-dairy farm vet bill. She had taken a nice male kitty from the barn and sent him to the vet to be nuetered. When she paid the bill she was absolutely scandalised!

                        "I can't believe what it cost! We used to stick them head first into a boot and use a pocket knife!"

                        Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

                        Comment


                        • #52
                          Originally posted by StGermain View Post
                          Let Grandpa feed Oliver. You measure out the hay and (nominal) grain and let Gramps be the one to feed it to him. Oliver gets fed, Gramps is the good guy in Oliver's eyes, and you don't have to worry as much.

                          StG
                          This is what I was going to suggest myself. You will still need to go and make sure that he has been fed, of course but at least you will be somewhat in control of what oliver gets. I would take all grain and treats away or lock them up( literally) and just leave a flake of hay for grandpa to feed.

                          Comment


                          • #53
                            Originally posted by maunder View Post
                            Aw. I feel your pain. My dad (now passed on) absolutely LOVED my old husky mix dog, Brin (also passed on). Dad thought I wasn't feeding her enough and when we'd visit he'd stuff her with dog biscuits or those horrible Snausage treats.

                            The only thing I could do to stop it was to not bring her with me when I visited - and he'd be crushed. He did NOT want to hear how an old dog couldn't handle gobs of treats. We'd talk about it and he'd get mad at me and grumble, mumble as only a dad can do.

                            One day I saw him feeding Brin biscuit after biscuit (he thought I couldn't see him). I think the count was up to ten before she stopped gulping them down. I didn't say anything because I knew just what would happen.

                            We're in his living room and...."erp" here came all the biscuits up all over dad's rug. That was the only thing that worked. Dad certainly wasn't going to listen to ME. He SAW what his 'kindness' had done to her and he never overfed her again.

                            I'd hate to have your mini founder because your dad just didn't get it. I agree with your move of your little guy. It's for the best. You dad may grumble quite a bit but your little horse will be safe.

                            Maybe your dad and my mom are somehow related? My mom comes over with her coat pockets stuffed full of dog treats. My young dog of course just goes wild as the never ending river of biscuits flows from mom's pockets. Of course the damage has been done and I am waiting out in below zero temps for my dog who usually needs a 2 am potty break after mom visits.

                            Comment


                            • #54
                              Originally posted by candyappy View Post
                              This is what I was going to suggest myself. You will still need to go and make sure that he has been fed, of course but at least you will be somewhat in control of what oliver gets. I would take all grain and treats away or lock them up( literally) and just leave a flake of hay for grandpa to feed.
                              Per previous posts, "Oliver" is going home with the OP this weekend.

                              Problem solved. And I doubt "Gramps" would've stuck to just the pickings the OP left for "Oliver", especially since he's continuously claimed that the OP is "starving" the horse. Chances are better than excellent that regardless of what the OP did as far as locking up food, Oliver's life would have been a downward spiral in that environment.

                              Comment


                              • #55
                                Originally posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post
                                Our owner pays full price for all our vet bills and for those of her dogs You're paying for the vet's expertise, so it may cost less than 50 or 100 to spay a cat in meds and sutures, but it's not "pennies" or a six pack. Unless it's a very expensive bier. That's like saying it only costs a farrier the price of a few nails to reset our shoes, duh. We pay for them to go to seminars and keep up with the best vet and farrier care we can get.
                                My equine vet has a full surgery complete with operating room, recovery room, and a few stalls. He has equipment in there that some of the vet schools don't even have.

                                He is also the one who neutered and vaccinated my dog (in said state-of-the-art OR) for a grand total of ~$100 (1/3 of what the nearby small animal practices were wanting), and he has charged "a six pack" to neuter a cat for his entire career.

                                He also states that he basically doesn't get in his truck unless he expects to pull in $1,500 a day.

                                So somehow he maintains a state of the art operating room, has an INSANELY good reputation, neuters cats for a six pack, and still won't get out of bed for less than $1,500 a day.

                                He once calculated a canine surgery that other vets were going to charge an owner $6,000 for as requiring him to bring in an anesthetist for $100 for the surgery (he pays her a lot more than she would get anywhere else, since they make like $15 an hour or something elsewhere), the surgery would cost $150 in disposables, and take about an hour of his time. The most he charges for any surgery is $850, (no, SERIOUSLY) and he says (and I quote) "Making roughly $600 an hour is enough for me."

                                He is doing ok. I get out of bed for a lot less!
                                You should bring a beer by one day and get him started on a rant at how much the small animal places overcharge for simple stuff.
                                The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                                Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                                Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                                The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

                                Comment


                                • #56
                                  Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
                                  He is also the one who neutered and vaccinated my dog (in said state-of-the-art OR) for a grand total of ~$100 (1/3 of what the nearby small animal practices were wanting)
                                  Here is some of the confusion. My small animal vet (who I admit is not the cheapest place around) does not charge anywhere near $300 to neuter a dog.

                                  Comment


                                  • #57
                                    Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                                    Here is some of the confusion. My small animal vet (who I admit is not the cheapest place around) does not charge anywhere near $300 to neuter a dog.
                                    Where do you go?

                                    I just (as in three minutes ago to get the latest info) called a place that I arbitrarily chose as being the first on the search results in my town.

                                    The charges recited to me were:

                                    $48 for a "new patient examination", which has to be done on a different day than the surgery, thus requiring the owner to take off work twice.

                                    Then, the actual surgery for a 25lb, 2 year old dog with two descended testicles was quoted to me as "prrrroooobably $400", which includes
                                    -collar to send the dog home with ($6-11)
                                    -the surgery ($315)
                                    -laser ??? ($75)

                                    So you are looking at $450 and two appointments.

                                    Transit Animal Hospital in Depew, NY in case anyone would like to verify the cray cray I just heard over the phone.



                                    FYI the average MORTGAGE in the immediately surrounding area is like $500 a month.
                                    The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                                    Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                                    Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                                    The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

                                    Comment

                                    • Original Poster

                                      #58
                                      Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
                                      Where do you go?

                                      I just (as in three minutes ago to get the latest info) called a place that I arbitrarily chose as being the first on the search results in my town.

                                      The charges recited to me were:

                                      $48 for a "new patient examination", which has to be done on a different day than the surgery, thus requiring the owner to take off work twice.

                                      Then, the actual surgery for a 25lb, 2 year old dog with two descended testicles was quoted to me as "prrrroooobably $400", which includes
                                      -collar to send the dog home with ($6-11)
                                      -the surgery ($315)
                                      -laser ??? ($75)

                                      So you are looking at $450 and two appointments.

                                      Transit Animal Hospital in Depew, NY in case anyone would like to verify the cray cray I just heard over the phone.



                                      FYI the average MORTGAGE in the immediately surrounding area is like $500 a month.

                                      The laser is used after they sew them up to help speed along the healing process. My vet charges $35 for the laser but still. If I were to take these strays to the vet at even $100 a pop for neuter and vaccinations....which would be ridiculously cheap, I'm still spending about a grand to get these cats taken care of. I hate to break it to anyone but there is no way I can afford that. My husband and I are newly weds, and new homeowners. We live comfortably but certainly don't have an extra thousand dollars laying around.

                                      It's not my barn and I bet if he didn't feed the strays there would be a lot less around.....however there's no way we could convince him not to feed them, thus the vicious cycle continues.
                                      Last edited by TheHunterKid90; Jan. 11, 2013, 04:46 PM. Reason: Spelling

                                      Comment


                                      • #59
                                        Originally posted by SmartAlex View Post
                                        May I predict the next installment?

                                        Grandpa will buy his own bag of grain and hide it from YOU.

                                        Just a heads up.
                                        Yup. This happened to me. Nice lady renting a room from me...fast foward.... my carrots were dissappearing at an alarming rate.

                                        Carrots still dissappearing at an alarming rate.

                                        Found out nice lady was feeding them like a pez dispenser. I mean handfuls at a time. (Do I need to add that two of them are fatties? Or that another is prone to ulcers? Not really. You'd think me saying no more would do it, right?)

                                        As much as I tried to explain...to no avail. So, I just stopped buying them. Period.

                                        Next thing I know, nice lady is buying them......

                                        She has since moved, thank goodness.

                                        Comment


                                        • #60
                                          Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                                          Not all old people are like your father (I had one somewhat like yours, we did my version of clicker training and it worked. It was the 3 strikes and your out for the day plan).

                                          Sounds like the OP handled it well.
                                          Ma'am,
                                          I agree that she handled his FIL with class and tact. Moving Oliver is the wisest option for all involved.

                                          Three strikes is a good way to frame it.

                                          I do have to apologize for being a bit over-sensitive on the subject of overfeeding.
                                          We adopted one of my horses last August from a sweet, caring older couple. They had been trying to give him away for the past two years to anyone who would take him. The husband had Very Firm Opinions about proper horse care. Fluffy had some significant behavior problems; he was quite overweight, very cresty when we brought him home. They told me the bad behavior was caused by Fluff telling them that he was very hungry, so they immediately fed him some more. He had not been ridden or otherwise worked in 5 years; he was being fed daily lush pasture, and brome hay, and grain.
                                          Once we got him "sober" off the grain and on to an appropriate feed plan, he turned into a lovely horse.

                                          This post was much longer than I intended. Thank you for your forbearance.

                                          Amber
                                          PA Hi-Ly Visible [PA Hi-Noon (by Magnum Psyche) x Takara Padrona (by *Padron)]

                                          Proud member of the Snort and Blow Clique

                                          Comment

                                          Working...
                                          X