• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

State Animal Humane Care Laws

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State Animal Humane Care Laws

Am posting this on the behalf of a FB group that is campaigning to change the laws to help horses/animals in Illinois who are being starved/abused.

They are looking to gather information about other states animal humane care laws for comparisons, and find out whether or not people believe their states humane care laws are effective. Please feel free to share information or opinions on your states animal humane care laws. You can post your comments here or directly to their FB page here
    http://www.facebook.com/ActForTemptation

Just be sure the HSUS is not behind that drive.

They have been attacking all kinds of livestock farming from all angles, just had a few important battles that they thankfully lost, that were making impossible to raise livestock, partly by putting themselves as the ones regulating what was proper care or not.

Be sure you know what all is going to be asked for, read the small print in any bill and study what the consequences may be, immediate and future ones.
    Don't let animal rights groups get a foot in the door.
    Their agendas are eliminating all use of animals, eventually, one little bit at the time.
    That includes HORSES.

Why my warnings?
    I heard Illinois was one of their next targets.

Comment

• Original Poster

To clarify, this isn't some animal rights crazies or HSUS campaign. I don't know exact details but I do know the people involved in the situation, long story short, this very nice mare was supposed to be going to a good home, the lady who took her starved her to death within months, as well as several other horses (I believe 3 dead), and was still allowed to keep the horses she had because based on the Illinois humane laws, the horses "technically" had food, water and shelter, despite the fact that it was not enough and the horses were starving to death. The woman pretty much walked away and continues to own horses.

How many times have we seen this sort of thing happen, where people can get away with starving a horse to death because of the looseness of the laws? They are simply trying to get the law to be more specific, like including body scores, etc. This is much needed change. I have personally dealt with similar situations, where a horse was starving to death but I could do nothing legally and the law wouldn't do a thing either. I'm on this FB page because I know some of the people involved (respected WB people and breeders in the area-not HSUS nuts) and they asked if somebody could post on COTH and get some peoples opinions about the laws in their states.

Comment

Forewarned is forearmed.

Just be sure where any offers of help may come from, if your drive takes off.

We have the same problem here, that laws are trying to protect owner's rights to manage their animals as they may, while setting minimum sensible care standards.

You may want to ask Cowgirljenn, that runs Bluebonnet and knows the ins and outs of animal control laws better than most.
        PM her for information, as she is in the trenches herself, when it comes to just that, avoid abuse and educate on good care.

Comment

also check with JSwan, she has been working her buns off to improve such things where she lives, having ran into problems with the HSUS, PETA and their ilk.

Comment

in CT, I think it depends on what county you live in. In one case, I know of a person who had many calls made to Animal control/humane society, all she had to do was put out hay (even moldy) and water, and they would go back and check a couple of weeks later, then that was that. she had many animals starve to death, and NEVER was held accountable, to my knowledge. still has horses.

in another case, different county, a horse was probably a 1.5 - 2 on the scale. I called the police, officer met me at the property, then HE called in the rest of the property folks. Horse was seized, as well as another on that property ( a boarding facility) AND they found out she had two more at another property, those were also seized. so, one phone call, all four horses found homes where they were taken care of and fed.

Comment

Be careful what you wish for. I had a visit from AC because my horses were standing in MUD!
              I wasn't always a Smurf
              Penmerryl Sophie RIDSH
              "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
              The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Comment

When I was in law school one of our professors routinely reminded us that "no man's life, liberty, or property was safe when the legislature is in session."

There have been a bunch of initiatives all over the U.S. ranging from a virtual "owner’s manual" (put out by UCDavis and suggested as the CA legal standard of care) to the very laissez faire practices of the West and Southeast.

It’s very easy to become free with other people’s money when discussing standards of equine care. Horses are not puppies or kittens; few in the “animal welfare world” understand that. I learned this disturbing fact the hard way, doing five years as the VP of our local county humane society. Many equine welfare initiatives veer dangerously towards making horses “companion animals” vice “livestock.” If the “animal welfare advocates” are often ignorant of things equine then the legislators they are approaching are even more so. The folks mentioned, above, have pretty well demonstrated that they have their “heads screwed on straight.” Not everyone who plies these waters is so well oriented.

Avoid HSUS, ASPCA, and PETA like the plague that they are.

Horses are chattels. They are property. We must be very careful that any State intervention in the management of this property is carefully limited. It should be permitted if, but only if, that State mandated management is necessary to ensure public health, safety, or welfare.

G.
                Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Per the Illinois state government website, it looks like owners are required by law to provide "sufficient quantity of good quality, wholesome food and water". The law does not say that if -any- food or water is present that nothing can be done. Owners can be charged if they don't provide enough food.

NOW you can get into arguments about what's sufficient, but that's normally where experts (veterinarians, nutritionists, trained animal control personnel) come into play.

Texas' law is fairly similar - except it uses the word 'adequate'. We've had counties remove animals when there was food on the property, but it either wasn't being fed at all, enough of it wasn't being fed, or it was very poor quality.

I know that laws often seem vague, and I have said before I want better definitions in some areas of neglect/cruelty laws. However there's always going to be a subjective aspect to the law - because you can't legislate that each horse needs 2% of its body weight in feed per day. I have a horse here who would explode if he got that much food. He's fat on air. And then my 27 year old horse would look like a skeleton if that's all the food he got per day. Words like 'adequate' or 'sufficient' help set up the situation where I'm not in trouble for NOT feeding Tocho 2% of his weight in food per day when he doesn't need it. But that I COULD get in trouble if I didn't feed Magic MORE than 2% of his weight in food per day.

If you are concerned about how the case with these horses was handled, see if you can talk to the authorities involved. Offer to help them in future cases (without being judgmental) and see if other factors were at play in this case. Making the law tougher isn't always the right answer...
                  Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Comment

Working...
                  X