• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Jobs and Horses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jobs and Horses?

What kind of hours do you work and what kind of job do you have that allows you to ride in any capacity? Are you single? Married? Kids? Living with someone?

I myself, work as a graphic designer/illustrator and work a fairly steady 9-5 with occasionally freelance on the side. I live on my own and am not married...This allows me to part board and ride 3X a week with a few shows here and there.

just curious.

HF
    ~Proud founder of the "Addicted to Lessons" clique~
    ~Ribbon Ho~

I'm a graphic designer too!

I've been lucky, it has allowed me the opportunity to freelance from home and have lots of flexibility... for both my daughter, and the horse thing!
    We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

I work as a claims adjuster for an insurance company. They let us set our own schedule, so I work 6:30-3. Which gives me all evening to run around and do horsie things, and still be able to have a little relaxing couch time before I have to go to sleep and start over.

I'm not married, but do have a wonderful boyfriend (no kids) and working that schedule gets the boring part of my day done, then I can get in my horse fix, all before he is done with work at 6, which has helped he and I a lot too, I believe. The evenings and weekend time I can't see him is less as I have plenty of time to do the barn thing and still beat him to my place or his, or meet him out somewhere...and I am a very happy camper
      Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Comment

I have a boring administrative 8-5 office job that pays fairly well for this area. No one seems to mind that I take hour and a half lunches in nice weather to run to the barn for a ride as long as I adjust my hours.

I also married well enough that all my money is my own to do with as I like. No kids. But, just as with any other aspect of my life, when it comes to my horse interest, I have learned to live within my means.
        ::I do not understand your specific kind of crazy, but I do admire your total commitment to it::

Comment

I live with my boyfriend, young- no kids. I'm a lawyer and work whatever hours need to be worked to get the job done. I have two horses and ride 5 days a week- 3 mornings from 7-8:30 or so, then shower and go to the office and weekends.

Comment

Admin job at a nice non-profit org M-F and a boss who is wonderful. As long as I work all my hours in a week (37... don't ask; i knnow its weird) I can change my schedule around as needed. In the winter months, I take shortened lunches, or no lunch at all, so I can leave early one day a week. That gets me to the barn with enough time to ride before it gets dark (I also ride Saturday & Sunday). This is also handy the week leading up to a horse show or something, where I really ought to get to the show grounds before dark thirty!

I also occasionally do some catering, which is so much fun and great for extra horse activities. Cuz working at a non-profit, I'm not exactly raking it in!

I'm married, no kids, but my dogs practically count. Our commute is an hour each way, so that eats up a lot of time. The hounds are alone for 11 hours, so by the time I get home around 6pm, they're about to burst. If I left them any longer I'd feel terrible. My husband is basically on call 24/7, so I can't really count on him to be home at any certain hour on any given day. Not his fault, just something we have to work around.

I pay for all my horsie stuff out of my own paycheck, plus I put money away in savings every month. And all the utilities. Hubby takes care of the bigger stuff.
            Last edited by missamandarose; Oct. 7, 2008, 03:59 PM.
            I have Higher Standards... do you?
            Apalachicola Native (Alfie), '02 TB Gelding,
            Wild Man of Borneo (Hank), '03 Redtick coonhound,
            Augustus McRae (Gus), '01 Bluetick coonhound

Comment

I live with my boyfriend. Kids are grown. I work an 8-5 job, and then go directly to the barn to work my 3 boys. Then I go home after that (8:00 pm) and get stuff done around there or just relax with the dogs. I do that 5 days a week. My boyfriend works a day job and a night job. On the weekends we can do what we please, but we always go out each day to work the horses. He is a trainer. Or use to be, he only trains my boys now. The boys do get one day off a week, but I still go out to the barn to help the BO clean their stalls, scrub their buckets or just give them treats.

Comment

Music Editor.....

I am a music editor, my base work week is 56 hours a week M-F, of course sometimes there are weekends that I work! I ride 4-5 days a week, nearly always in a lesson. I am married, no kids.

Comment

Well I work M-F 6am-3pm at an investment company. We are a 3rd party administrator/fund manager. Basically I fix all the mistakes that your advisor makes. I ride 6 days a week all 3 horses, Monday is the only day I don't ride, but retard hurt himself in pasture and I have to go walk and do bandage change. I am married, no kids quite yet but getting there. Hubby is non-horsie so has temper tantrum moments but is generally understanding. We split everything basically down the middle and have seperate bank accounts. He pays slightly more on the mortgage (like $100) and more of the utilities, but he also makes $12,000 more a year then me. My 3rd horse is a re-sale so I pay all my horse expenses with sales, trailering, braiding, and anything else people will pay me for.

I do board out but my mom loves the horses and pays board on 2 of them, so I just have all the shoes, vet, grain on all 3 and then board on 1. Should be down to 1 pony through the winter though. Mom gets paid back when investment pony sells, plus 1/2 of profit after expenses, so gives her a little extra spending cash.

Comment

I'm a RN. My work schedule 7 pm to 7:30 am 3 days a week is great for horses. I ride at least 4 days a week, but usually 5. On a week that I'm tired or want some overtime ($$$)....I pay to have a training ride.

Married, but no kids. Hubby works 8 am to 4, which leaves me with a lot of free time on my days off.
                    ~Katelyn~

Comment

Single, 2 dogs (furry children). I'm an RMT and have my own clinic, so my schedual is flexible. I try to either book from 9am to 3pm, or 11am to 7pm (in a perfect world). That leaves me with either the afternoon or morning free to get to the barn and ride.

One day is a sacrifice day, I spend the day cooking and putting food in the freezer. And I try to get my dogs out for a long walk every other day.
                      Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
                      Like us on facebook!

Comment

I work 8:30-5:00 M-F for a public adjuster firm and usually ride 6x/wk. I have horses at 2 different barns within 5mi of one another: my retired one, my eventer (and 1 in for CANTER to be sold. )

I give a few lessons each week, so in trying to fit in my own rides with the lessons, I am often at the stables everyday. I clean 20 stalls at one of the barns every Sunday to work off some of my retired horse's board.

And do I need to say it? I'm single. NO interest in kids. None whatsoever.

Comment

I work for a big health insurance company. My hours are 8 to 4:30. I just got a new job 3 weeks ago. It's still within the same company though. Before that my hours were 6:30 to 3. I miss those hours because I would go to the barn and ride and be home around 6. The horse that I ride lives outside 24/7 for the moment. I can't wait until he comes inside to live for the winter. It's starting to get dark really early and I have to walk him quite a distance to his turnout. I don't want to have to walk him when it's dark and it's annoying when it rains.

Comment

I'm an RN-work 12 hour days. I usually ride every day I'm not working, so about 4/week. Great job for horses, with the exception of working every other weekend. It seems that every show or clinic I want to attend falls on my work weekend. Isn't that just the way it goes, though?

I'm married, no kids. Hubby works 8-5 with a long commute.
                            http://www.chronicleofmyhorse.com/profile/MarnieCollett

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."-Aristotle

Comment

HI
                              I work a changing shift..either 6 AM to 6PM or 6PM to 6AM and that rotates every 28 days... and the days rotate so on one week I might have 3 days off the the next I have 4. So I try to ride 3 days a week. In the summer when the days are longer I can ride when I get home.

Comment

Im an airline pilot. Currently working only part time which has me home a min of 18 days a month. I have all day everyday to play with my girls and believe me I do!!!

Once the company rebounds they will no longer offer this part time sched that is why I'm desperately looking for a new job. When I go back to full time I will be lucky to be home 7 days total a month.

I'm young and my boyfriend and I live together.

Comment

Originally posted by Katy9532 View Post
                                  Im an airline pilot.
                                  Cool! Which aircraft do you fly?

Comment

I work at an equine hospital 4 days a week from 7/8-5/6.30. I had to leave my horses on the other side of the country and I am woefully underpaid so I have no money for lessons. I have a bf, and we live together, he being awesome enough to move across the country so I can be in horse land. My kids are two cats that we got when we moved here.

Comment

• Original Poster

I forgot to add I have two cockatiels. Izzy and Harley who are my kids and a QH 3hrs away at my parents who I can't afford to have in TO...
                                      ~Proud founder of the "Addicted to Lessons" clique~
                                      ~Ribbon Ho~

Comment

Married, 2 dogs, husband travels so I need to be 'round to avoid puppy puddles.

Vet tech, work 4 - ten hour shifts each week with o/t when necessary. Horse is 2 hours away now, so I see him about once a week or less. He's in training 4 days a week. When he lived 10 minutes down the road, I rode about 3x a week. Husband does little housework, grocery shopping, etc.

I'm sure if I weren't married I'd see my horse 3x a week even tho' he's far away.

Comment

Working...
                                        X