• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Got screwed by a former trainer, now what do I do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by OneGrayPony View Post

But here are your options:

1) Learn to ride said beast.

2) Sell him and move on.

Those of us who are saying maybe #1 is an option are saying that we've had enough equine experience to know that a solid sane temperament, with a heart of gold, is really really worth so much more than a horse who is 3" too tall is an inconvenience.
    I do not think anyone should be made to ride a horse they do not want to, so I vote #2.

That aside, another reason to vote #1 is what many have said all along, him having lofty forward way of going does not have anything to do with his height, it has everything to do with him be athletic. There are tiny little critters who feel the same way when they move.

Comment

• Yes, trub, and great big tall ones that ride like they are 12.2.

Should someone ride a horse they don't want to or stretches them out of their comfort zone? Only if they want to get good, and judging by this poster's other comments, she's not trail riding, she's competing.

Of course I did forget that any more it's not about getting good, it's about being successful showing.

Another thought is that sometimes when a horse is so radically different in stride length or slab sided vs not or what have you, the discomfort is what may tell you that you need to do things differently. Perhaps you've been relying on strength to help them keep their balance and you need to learn how to help the horse help themselves, and keep you less in the picture.

I just went from a slab sided horse to a horse that is as round as...well lets just say even dropping my stirrups 4 holes puts my leg at a 90 degree angle and puts me in a bit of a chair seat. The problem is not that he's the wrong horse for me, the problem is that my hips are too tight. I guess I could sell him because of it, but I'm not likely to, I'm more inclined to believe that I'm the one who needs some modification.

Comment

• Originally posted by ponyrider212
        Haha, basically, yes. I don't mind that he got big in and of itself, but that my trainer lied to me about how tall he'd get, and sold me a horse that she knew would grow a hand taller than what I wanted. I thought I was buying a horse that was the size I wanted.
        You NEVER know how tall they will get. I had full siblings one was 16.2 the other was 17.2. You took a gamble in buying a horse that is still growing and it didn't turn out like you planned. Sell him or trade him or learn to ride him, but I don't believe you have the right to blame or sue anyone for a choice you ultimately made of your own fee will. The only way to get the size you want is to buy one that is 100% done growing.

Comment

• Originally posted by OneGrayPony View Post
          Yes, trub, and great big tall ones that ride like they are 12.2.

Should someone ride a horse they don't want to or stretches them out of their comfort zone? Only if they want to get good, and judging by this poster's other comments, she's not trail riding, she's competing.

Of course I did forget that any more it's not about getting good, it's about being successful showing.

Another thought is that sometimes when a horse is so radically different in stride length or slab sided vs not or what have you, the discomfort is what may tell you that you need to do things differently. Perhaps you've been relying on strength to help them keep their balance and you need to learn how to help the horse help themselves, and keep you less in the picture.

I just went from a slab sided horse to a horse that is as round as...well lets just say even dropping my stirrups 4 holes puts my leg at a 90 degree angle and puts me in a bit of a chair seat. The problem is not that he's the wrong horse for me, the problem is that my hips are too tight. I guess I could sell him because of it, but I'm not likely to, I'm more inclined to believe that I'm the one who needs some modification.
          Actually, and I'm not trying to be snarky here at all, truly, but you can do serious damage to your body/hip joints/knee joints that you will really regret later in life (think hip replacement level regret) if your new horse is that much too wide for you and your body has to stretch beyond what it should be stretching. So it's not just a matter of sucking it up. Don't be a martyr.

ETA-Maybe it's a dressage thing, but most dressage riders I know take horse size and how it fits their body into account when buying a horse. They don't consider learning how to ride an 18 hand horse to be any sort of learning experience or badge of honor. When they buy size appropriate mounts to train up the levels, I don't consider that evidence of them being all about winning, taking short cuts and not caring about learning any more than I can consider riding in an ill fitting saddle to be a valuable experience.

Comment

• I am later in life, and the damage was done when I ran too far into my pregnancy, hence the tightness :-) I'll probably need all sorts of joints replaced when I'm even older - trust me, if I were a horse you'd say "dear god don't ride that thing!" However, it's good for me to stretch them, just as it's good for me to stretch my hamstrings which are ridiculously tight and don't help my back issues.

Ahh the joys of being conformationally challenged.

Incidentally, I have a really long thigh and short calf so I prefer the feel of the rotund ones, and they spin out from underneath me and my stupidly long torso less easily :-) So what's a gal to do?

Anyway - thank you for the observation, I didn't take it snarkily at all!

Comment

• The OP said her horse was taller and longer strided than her comfort zone. She didn't say he was so wide her hips were popping out.

Seriously... she owns a horse that is stretching her limits of psychological comfort and perhaps riding ability. She can either sell him and downsize, or learn to stretch her boundaries. Her choice. But she has no recourse on the trainer who talked her into it before he got that way.
              ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

• And I will just point out that the concept of suing the trainer is just ridiculous here. What are her damages, exactly? She bought a yearling that is now trained and going very well with an amateur, and has therefore nearly certainly increased in value. But she wants to sue for the purchase price? And what? Keep the horse as well? Or just kill the horse after she gets her purchase price back from the trainer? The whole thing is so absurd I can't stop thinking about it!

Comment

• You were ignorant and too trusting and bought the wrong horse. Shame on you that you didn't educate yourself about what happens to long yearlings (they continue to grow up). Shame on the trainer for taking advantage of your ignorance. OK there we've laid blame.

Just sell him. I lost every ounce of respect for you when you voiced that your stupidity resulted in your fantasy about chopping his head off. What an absolutely horrible thing to consider about a horse whose only sin is being too tall.

We can cross you off the list of 'horsemen'. You're just a short chick with a fat wallet and a bucketful of misdirected self-pity and no horse sense.

Shame on you, woman.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCRider View Post
                    Actually, and I'm not trying to be snarky here at all, truly, but you can do serious damage to your body/hip joints/knee joints that you will really regret later in life (think hip replacement level regret) if your new horse is that much too wide for you and your body has to stretch beyond what it should be stretching. So it's not just a matter of sucking it up. Don't be a martyr.

ETA-Maybe it's a dressage thing, but most dressage riders I know take horse size and how it fits their body into account when buying a horse. They don't consider learning how to ride an 18 hand horse to be any sort of learning experience or badge of honor. When they buy size appropriate mounts to train up the levels, I don't consider that evidence of them being all about winning, taking short cuts and not caring about learning any more than I can consider riding in an ill fitting saddle to be a valuable experience.
                    I see your whole post and say simply "Debbie McDonald and Brentina."
                    Somebody tell her hips they need to be replaced.
                    The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                    Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                    Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                    The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

• Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
                      I see your whole post and say simply "Debbie McDonald and Brentina."
                      Somebody tell her hips they need to be replaced.
                      Margie Engle and... Indigo, Land of Kings, Saluut II...

Comment

• WWJJS?

What would Judge Judy say?
                        Originally posted by BigMama1
                        Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                        GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

• Originally posted by Canaqua View Post
                          Well, I would love to, but I don't own this horse. I lease her. I won't buy horses anymore because of family financial obligations. I'm old (50) and my equitation days are 30 years behind me. I'm weird, but I still want to learn things in my old age. While shopping for a new lease horse, I came up with a 17hh OTTB and this little Trakh mare. Big OTTBs are my thing, totally in my comfort zone, all I've ever ridden and we see eye to eye. In my old age, I decided I needed a challenge . I've got to say this mare is very nice and definitely a challenge (I've always had geldings too ). Eeek! She's giving me a workout, that's for sure, and some humility!
                          Omg -don't make 50 sound so old! I still do endurance riding at 48 and I'm thinking about getting a young Arab to bring along.

Comment

• Kinda makes me seem foolish that I want a pony My girl is 13 and 15.1hh.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tiffany01 View Post
                              Kinda makes me seem foolish that I want a pony My girl is 13 and 15.1hh.
                              1-Debbie MacDonald is a professional dressage rider who had an Olympic caliber large horse, not an adult amateur with one horse. The option of trading in Brentina for an equivalent smaller model didn't exist. Even DM took horse size into account when shopping. From Flying Changes article "Sometimes Debbie might look at a horse and think it's too big for her, but then Bob might point out that it has a narrow build, or a certain flexibility, and she'll try it. "I can tell usually in one ride if it will work," she says."

2-DM may have conformation that made riding a large horse possible even though she herself was short.

3-AFAIK Margie Engle isn't a dressage rider.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCRider View Post
                                3-AFAIK Margie Engle isn't a dressage rider.
                                I don't think the OP is a dressage rider either, so I don't see how your example is relevant. My point was that I'm a little skeptical of the claim that riding a big horse means hip/joint replacement down the road. That just sounds ridiculous.

Comment

• Originally posted by gabby.gator View Post
                                  I'm reading this as she's mostly disappointed in the fact that she got hosed by trainer, which is making her angry, and her anger is projected at the horse, who is the reason she got hosed. and the fact that he's bigger than she's comfortable with.

To be angry with the horse or to dislike him because of it isn't very fair or reasonable. Poor horse. He sounds like a honey,
                                  You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Comment

• If he's not the right horse for you, or you aren't comfortable, you should sell. Life is too short to spend with the wrong horse.

I don't think it's worth getting upset about the possible conspiracy theory. It would suck if your trainer intentionally tricked you into buying an unsuitable horse so she could sell him on your behalf, but none of you--breeder, ex-trainer, you--knew how much he would grow. And it's hard to imagine that the breeder would remember a 4 yo conversation word for word.

Besides, since you've left your trainer, she cannot collect if you sell him, and you're now left with what sounds like a very nice and valuable horse. Sell him if he's not the one for you, and enjoy the commission-you-don't-have-to-pay-her.

Comment

• I feel as though it's a little over board to tell the OP she should be ashamed of herself. A lot of people are blowing what she said way out of proportion.

Comment

• It was years ago. What exactly do you want to do about it? It sounds like you've got a really nice horse, and I'm sure he'd be easy to sell.

I recently found out a mare I have now had a relatively serious injury prior to me taking her on last spring. It was not disclosed. Maybe the previous owner knew, maybe she didn't. She may never be sound for even light work. She is 7. I would gladly trade your scenario for mine-- where the only issue is a few inches and not an entirely bum leg.

So... be accountable for the decision YOU made. Move on. Sell him. Buy something else. But really, time to let it go....
                                        We couldn't all be cowboys, so some of us are clowns.

Comment

• Originally posted by J-Lu View Post
                                          I get that you're upset if what you heard is the truth. You have every right to be upset. That said, I can't imagine purchasing a horse without talking to the owner myself. After all, it's your $$. But there's not much you can do about it now, so I'd just let it go.

In terms of height, I also get that you love the horse but he's bigger than you'd like and is greener than you want. I disagree that everyone wants a big horse (I would not choose to buy a 17.1 hh horse) and I disagree that you should "buck up" and ride a horse you are apprehensive about because lets face it - it's a recipe for you to lose your confidence as a rider at best, or get hurt at worse. And you may never reach his or your potential if you are mismatched. There's no reason for you to feel like you should keep him unless you *want* to.

I suggest selling him and purchasing a horse that is more your size and with the experience level that is comfortable for you. There's likely someone out there who'd love to get your large greenbean - everyone is happy in the end.

Just my thoughts...
                                          This is very good advice. I got a younger fjordX, was supposed to be 6 but was 8. Owner was confused, time does fly by. Lovely horse, I owned him for over 8 years. Never came off of him, he turned out to be versatile and lovely. He was just under 15.3, 1400# and very drafty. He was so wide he hurt my back and I had a hard time getting on him from the ground. Reaching up over him to mount was difficult because of the angles and lack of leverage.

I decided to go to a smaller horse and didn't plan on selling him. I found a lovely AQHA mare, 15h, 1100#. Sturdy, big shouldered and not as broad in the back. Smooth gaited and so much easier to ride. My back didn't hurt so much, my confidence came back mounting from the ground and I adore this mare.

I did sell the fjordX and I do miss him, but my little mare and I get along so well. I do the same things and she's going to be even better at our favorite activities.

So, look around. See if you find another horse you like, you could love this next horse and it give you the incentive to move this guy on to be the perfect mount for someone else.

Comment

Working...
                                          X