• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Got screwed by a former trainer, now what do I do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Alagirl View Post
    like this?
    You've been watching me get on my horse, I see!!!! Sometimes I think this one's more appropriate!!!

This is my best friend.

So is any available stump, log jump, grain can, etc... I throw my back out almost every time I try to mount from the ground. Dolly's an inch or so shy of 17-1, and Ally's 17-1 on the money.
    Nudging "Almost Heaven" a little closer still...
    http://www.wvhorsetrainer.com

Comment

To me the length of the legs has zero to do with the ride you get. I ride everything from a 14.3 welsh cob to a 17.1 draft cross and at 5.4 you'd thing the big one would feel too big. But actually the little one has a loftier stride, tons more suspension and is way harder to ride! Now that the 17/1 hh guy is schooling 2nd/3rd level, he's a joy to ride and I forget how big he is...until I'm grooming him! Stop focusing on the size and enjoy the horse.

Comment

I just don't see really what the problem is. Like many have already said... He's nice in every other way and people WANT big horses. If a big but otherwise really nice horse bothers you so much, I bet you anything you can sell him and get an equally nice horse a hand or two smaller for less money. Sell him, buy something different, and pocket the difference. It really shouldn't be a big thing.

My last gelding matured to 16-2. He had a full sister a couple years later who looked like she also was going to be a nice sized horse when she came in to be prepped for futurity classes as a yearling... However, she stopped at 15-2! Plenty of body but didn't get the height.

Comment

Originally posted by ponyrider212
          The trainer would benefit from the commission from the sale from the breeder, the training rides she thought she would be putting on him, and then the inevitable sale when I realized he was too big for me. I would LOVE to give her the benefit of the doubt, but from my experience with her, she doesn't deserve it.

She would not get a commission if I bought an older horse from another source that she had no involvement in. No commission on that sale, no need for training rides, and no commission on another sale. So yes, there was the potential for a fair amount of money for her involved, and for a long while at that.
          This post here made you lose a bunch of credibility in your complaint session.
          So now the trainer made you buy a baby that required training just to make a buck off you too?
          You bought a yearling. No one pulled the wool over your eyes that you were buying a yearling. Trainer did not make you buy a yearling. You chose to buy a yearling.
          You could have easily said 'no thanks I would rather buy an older horse from another source'.

You are getting yourself angry and worked up about a conversation from four years ago that the breeder claims to remember a certain way.

If you simply want to be angry that you bought the wrong horse then be angry. No reason to point fingers at everyone.

BTW, there are short really athletic hard to put together horses too.

Comment

I'm still just amazed, OP, that you're so very convinced that final height is so easy to predict at 1 year. Who knows what variables kick in?

Geez, my parents--both 5'8".
            My sister--5'8".
            Me--5'4".

Wholly crap, I'm a whole hand shorter than the rest of my family! I wonder if they knew when I was one that I'd be short?

Comment

Forget what the trainer did/didn't tell you. Unless you just started in the horse world recently, what made you think you could buy a yearling projected to top out at the tippeetop range and be safe the horse wouldn't grow taller?! That's what young horses do, right? Sometimes unpredictably.

If he's too tall and you're not happy, sell him and find something else. No big deal. It happens. Young horses turn into all sorts of things-- a dressage prospect turns out more like a hunter, a pony measures over, etc. If the growth makes him not suitable for you, that's life. Sell and move on.
              ~Veronica
              "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
              http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Comment

Ponyrider, I understand being unhappy with being lied to. But is it just a hunter thing that people accept being told who they can talk to by their trainers? WTF? No one tells me who I can contact. Why would a breeder not want to talk to a potential buyer, one who can clearly afford a nice horse?

Dear horse people: the second that your trainer tells you who you are allowed to talk to, particularly as it pertains to horse purchases: WALK AWAY. FAST. I can't imagine accepting that from anyone for 10 seconds.

Buying any young horse is a crapshoot, but I am getting that if you had known that your horses parents were big, and had a history of throwing big foals, you would have gone a different direction.

Since we know that horses are a huge investment of $$ and mental health, it's bananas to let anyone limit your information before you make a decision. Trainers are not doing you a favor to do business with you. You are writing the checks, and if they don't answer reasonable factual questions, you just fire them. Done.
                I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
                I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

It's really not unheard of for a horse that is still of growing age to add more (or fewer) inches to its height than expected. If it was 16hh and three years old and your trainer was guaranteeing you it wouldn't grow two more it is really on you if you believe it after you have had any kind of experience in the horse industry. It could grow a half inch or another hand. That is life, not a misrepresentation.

Suck it up and learn how to ride it. The pros have to learn how to ride all sizes and temperaments and they have two arms, two legs and one @$$ just like anybody else. If you go buy something that is 15.3 that is snarky and bucks then what? Get yet another? At some point every rider has to learn to ride what they're sitting on.
                  The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
                  Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
                  Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
                  The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Originally posted by ponyrider212
                    He was around 15.2 as a long yearling. I did ask about his parentage, and was told by my trainer that the information would be forthcoming. I never got it. The horse wasn't registered, but I found out today the breeder does keep all the records and DNA samples, etc, and I finally have all the information I've been waiting for.
                    That's a darn leggy long yearling.

OP, you bought a baby who was already only 2 inches away from your preferred height and you're calling foul?

Face it. You're pissed about the breeding info being withheld and you're just attaching your emotions about the big horse being a bit intimidating to ride to the whole mess. Plotting revenge on a former trainer is just unconstructive and won't make the horse less of a challenge. Sort it out and ride the horse in front of you. Before he gets any BIGGER.
                    Last edited by SmartAlex; Jan. 4, 2013, 10:21 AM. Reason: spelling
                    Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

Comment

OP:
                      I read through all 5 pages and I still fail to understand how you felt you were guaranteed a long yearling would not go over your ideal height.

I'm sure you realize horses are not assembled from parts in a factory, they are living things that grow at their own rate.
                      Nature does not care what your schedule says.

Your former trainer may be the World's Largest Sleazeball, but she is not responsible for the horse growing larger than expected.
                      Neither is the breeder.

OTOH, you have to shoulder some ofthe blame for being so wishy-washy when it came to buying through the trainer without any input from you as Buyer.
                      You agreed to the terms - now you have to deal with the consequences.

It doesn't sound like the horse is a total loss.
                      You say yourself he has a decent foundation - thanks to you, right? - and that this has been acknowledged by your current pro.
                      If you are truly uncomfortable with his size by all means SELL and get something you are happy with & enjoy riding.

FWIW:
                      My just-shy-of-16h TB was a far more complicated ride than my 17.2 TWH.
                      Talented as all getout, but no pushbutton packer O/F or on the flat.
                      Now I have a combo: 17h+ WB with the talent & edge of the TB, all he has in common with the Walker is size.
                      He's no baby - turned 18 this Summer - but I am learning to ride him and expect to fully enjoy him as much as I loved my little Porsche of a TB.
                      And I am no kid, 60 is in my rearview
                      *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                      Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                      Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                      Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

The taller the horse the smaller the jump feels IMO
                        Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

Comment

Is no one else weirded out by the OP? She said in her fantasies that she wanted to CUT HIS HEAD OFF. Creeps me out.

But, in reality, OP, suck it up.
                          I see distances. Most times more than one. Sometimes I pick the right one, sometimes I pick the wrong one, and sometimes I close my eyes and let Jesus take the wheel.

Comment

I wish that was the worst my trainer ever did.

Comment

Giving OP the benefit of the doubt...whether the trainer and breeder could have predicted the size or not, they seemed to be trying to do just that. If it's such a crapshoot, why were they trying to assure her that the horse wouldn't get this big? As pros, shouldn't they have known a 15.2 yearling is going to be a big 'un? The client is paying for advice, and yes she should be able to rely on that advice. Maybe the breeder really isn't one who talks to know-nothing rich clients, half of whom are minors, and only deals with their trainers. Not so hard to imagine.

OP, you've spent four years waiting for the baby to grow up, and now he's not what you wanted. I can see why you would be upset.

I think after you sleep on it you will see that it isn't so bad though. I do think he will grow more, IME with warmblood babies. If I was you I would test the water a bit to put my mind at ease. Put an ad up on dreamhorse, represent him fairly, but price him as high as you think he could possibly sell for. And see if you get any calls. He might be worth a lot more than you think if he's that nice and big to boot.

And look at what's out there in your size range while you're at it. I'm sure you can find a nice horse that is the same value or less than the big baby you aren't so happy riding. Same kind of horse, but smaller? Yeah I think you'll find that.
                              \"Non-violence never solved anything.\" C. Montgomery Burns

Comment

Since you are in contact with the breeder and love the horse otherwise, why not ask if she/he has something shorter that she is willing to trade? Please choose a mature adult for whom there will be no guessing as to finished height

Comment

Wow, I never thought of suing my trainer and horse's breeder, but maybe I should?! Bought a 2 year old that was scrawny, maybe 15 hands as a 2 year old and both trainer and breeder thought he'd end up my ideal 16.1 or less size. Wrongo...he grew and grew and ended up close to 17 hands. I better get an attorney!

I can understand being mad about the perceived deception, but I think at this point the OP should chalk it up to a life lesson and move on. Sell the horse or deal with it. You aren't with that trainer anymore, so no point dwelling on the past...if you aren't enjoying the horse, let him go to someone that will and find yourself something you have fun riding. Good luck.

Comment

So what would you do if you didn't know the trainer lied to you and in your name? Are you wanting to sell him or feeling confused over it all because he isnt what you wanted? You've have the horse four years already. If you've been unhappy with him the whole time, regardless of what the trainer did or may have done, then sell him. He isn't what you wanted and you're not having fun. He isn't and has not been the horse you wanted. Your options are: keep him and get over it, sell him and get the horse you want.

Comment

It's simple. If the height bothers you THAT much, sell him and buy a smaller horse. I have to admit I don't get it (is it a fear issue? What?) but to each their own.
                                      I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

Comment

From what I've read, it's not that the OP is angry that the horse grew to be taller than what the trainer told her it would be.

It's that the breeder told the trainer it would top out at around 17.1 because the trainer told the breeder OP wanted a tall horse when OP emphatically did not and then trainer turned around and told OP that the breeder said horse would grow to be within OP's desired size range. I would be upset too, if I found this out, whether or not you can predict a horse's final height at whatever age, it doesn't change that, according to the OP, the trainer blatantly finagled facts so that OP would buy this horse instead of one that suits her better since size seems to be such a sticking point.

OP has also said that at the time she really trusted trainer, and presumably really wanted a horse from this breeder's program and was thus willing to go along with what trainer said in order to get a nice horse from the breeder. She's not the first person to let a trainer determine how their 'horse life' is run and she won't be the last and it sounds like she's also learned her lesson in that respect.
                                        The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
                                        Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Comment

Suck it up, ride your horse or sell him. Those are the two options really.
                                          I'm still sort of stuck on someone telling me "Hey, here's a great horse but whatever you do, do NOT talk to the person who knows him best".
                                          Really?
                                          Kerri

Comment

Working...
                                          X