• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Bad/Shocking PPE

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I'm sorry that the word horror was too much for you, but your whole post sounded pretty emotional, yes, and shocked to me is a word that accompanies aghasted and horrified. I'm shocked when a gunman mows down kids, I'm confused or surprised when I hear something I don't expect to hear from a vet (unless it's like - your horse's internal organs are fluorescent orange, and then I'd be stunned and shocked). :-)

Anxiety is a funny thing, and I definitely wouldn't tell you to ignore your sense, but be sure that what you are sensing is because of what you actually sense. Sometimes I think we read these horror stories and we think that the whole world is out to get us (its not).

If this equine vet is someone you trust, don't buy the horse.

And I will add, I'm sorry that I came across as I did. I was (admittedly) annoyed by drama in another post and had this gut reaction to another post that felt like it was an OMG the world is ending! :-)

Comment

Originally posted by ohnoapirate View Post
      I didn't think I was rescuing her either, I just worried that if she does have arthritis, what if it isn't seen to be an issue and she's pushed too hard by another potential buyer?
      Then the other buyer will need to deal with it.

Even sellers, no matter how careful they are, can't control what happens to a horse once it is out of their hands. No reasonable potential buyer should be piling emotional baggage on themselves about the possible future of a horse with as-yet unconfirmed arthritis in someone else's hands.

You say the seller is generally ok. If the horse isn't suitable for you, trust the seller to find some other suitable home for the horse.

Or forget the PPE, buy her, and then you'll never have to worry that someone will work her in a way that you find inappropriate.
      Halt Near X | Horse Bloggers - Blog Directory

Comment

Out of everything these are the big things to me.

There are so many red flags here. I requested a contract pending vet check twice but the seller wouldn't allow it. Which, fine, some sellers want to keep their options open.

3. Whenever I talked about the PPE the seller kept repeating that she didn't think any issues would be found and seemed a little off put by my thorough exam.
        4. Seller disappears when a PPE is scheduled.
        5. Despite being unable to respond to emails, over the two weeks I was out of contact with the seller the sale listing was updated 3x... one of them with a price increase.
        Just these things would make me walk away and not one of them has to do with the out come of the PPE.
        My life motto now is "You can't fix stupid!"

Are you going to cowboy up, or lie there and bleed

Comment

Originally posted by OneGrayPony View Post
          Well I'm sorry that the word horror was too much for you, but your whole post sounded pretty emotional, yes, and shocked to me is a word that accompanies aghasted and horrified. I'm shocked when a gunman mows down kids, I'm confused or surprised when I hear something I don't expect to hear from a vet (unless it's like - your horse's internal organs are fluorescent orange, and then I'd be stunned and shocked). :-)
          I guess that shows what good can come of over analyzing and putting too much stock in a simple word . Much like the OP created problems in her head that weren't there with the seller, we on COTH create problems in our heads about people asking for questions based on something as silly as one word.

Anxiety is a funny thing, and I definitely wouldn't tell you to ignore your sense, but be sure that what you are sensing is because of what you actually sense. Sometimes I think we read these horror stories and we think that the whole world is out to get us (its not).

If this equine vet is someone you trust, don't buy the horse.

And I will add, I'm sorry that I came across as I did. I was (admittedly) annoyed by drama in another post and had this gut reaction to another post that felt like it was an OMG the world is ending! :-)
          I have to say OneGrayPony I really like your posts. I notice you around and you are one of my favorite posters on here. You're totally right, too. Anxiety can cause a person to believe their SO is cheating and find 'evidence' for it when the SO never cheated (I have seen this happen so many times). The human mind is designed to seek patterns. If you draw a box but don't connect the final corner we'll see a box, even if it isn't really a box. We make assumptions.

I think OP that it's important to understand that we ALL do it and we're not picking on you or looking down on you for it. We want to help you. From what I've seen of your posts I hope you stick around because you're very receptive to the criticism you've received (albeit a bit sensitive). Not gonna lie, I was a bit worried at how you would react to people. Not everyone in this thread has been polite but you have taken it in stride without getting angry and insulting people. We need more of that around here. Just wait it out.

Comment

ok, so what if she was emotional and upset? thats what she was feeling at the time. We all know horse buying is a stressful time!

Its a very big decision when someone buys a horse and as OP said it can trigger past stresses. Sounds like OP you have a handle in things. Good luck!

Comment

I really think it is the seller you have the red flags about from your stated reasons. So... you have to decide if you want to take a chance on a filly you really like who;

1. "may" not have had tack on at 2. (big deal..not)

2, Who may have gotten a bang at one point and has an old splint that may be visible but won't affect her unless you want to show her in hand, (no biggie)

3. Who may have crappy feet (that may get stronger with supplements and something like durasole over time..or may have to wear pads)...could be a little high maintenance.

4. Who may have arthritic changes already at 2..that may or may not ever affect her..(This one bothers me the most..but I have never had one that had that at such a young age..but that's just me)

Are you willing to live with those things and give her a chance?

I have been screwed by a bigtime seller and a few bigtime sellers over the years, so I do understand your caution, but you have a vet who needs to give you honest assessment, and it comes down to what you are willing to risk. You might just go buy a perfectly wonderful, great-footed superstar that does something seriously career-ending the day after you sign the check..it happens. If you don't feel right or suspect that some dreadful problem will be revealed at a later date...don't do it. If not, weigh your risk and listen to the vet and your gut...if you get her, insure her for loss of use. JMHO

Comment

I guess I don't understand the shock either. Why do xrays at all if not to uncover these potential issues that may have previously gone undetected? That is exactly why you do a PPE.
                "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Comment

I don't even get to the PPE in this scenario before walking.

My read of your post is, vet is trying to be verrry helpful w/o crossing the bounds of propriety.

At that point, I run away from this prospective purchase.

Add to that- I run even faster away from any hint of arthritis at that age. Just asking for trouble.

As has been noted, there are just too many nice horses out there available for a song.

Comment

Not sure what breed you are looking at, but according to several top sporthorse vets I've worked with (and who have done pre-purchases for me), minor hock changes are not all that uncommon in young horses once they have been started. I bought one that radiographed with minor changes as a coming 3 year old with the blessing of two different unaffiliated vets (the one who did the pre-purchase and was a fellow at a major vet school, the other my usual sporthorse vet who reviewed all the rads for me).

4 years later the only lame steps he's taken have been due to the occasional abscess (lots of wet, rocky ground combined with 4 white feet). Is in a full training/jumping/showing program (well in excess of the 3' mentioned above), not on any joint meds/supps. If and when he shows discomfort, we'll address it. Until then, not sure why we would limit anything when he hasn't shown us any reason to do so.

Comment

Originally posted by wanderlust View Post
                      Not sure what breed you are looking at, but according to several top sporthorse vets I've worked with (and who have done pre-purchases for me), minor hock changes are not all that uncommon in young horses once they have been started. I bought one that radiographed with minor changes as a coming 3 year old with the blessing of two different unaffiliated vets (the one who did the pre-purchase and was a fellow at a major vet school, the other my usual sporthorse vet who reviewed all the rads for me).

4 years later the only lame steps he's taken have been due to the occasional abscess (lots of wet, rocky ground combined with 4 white feet). Is in a full training/jumping/showing program (well in excess of the 3' mentioned above), not on any joint meds/supps. If and when he shows discomfort, we'll address it. Until then, not sure why we would limit anything when he hasn't shown us any reason to do so.
                      People usually have the idea that a horse might not be able to train anymore and may or lame or need injections within a few years. They view it as a gamble and say it's impossible to know so it's not worth it. You're one of a very select minority I've seen that is actually cool with it. I described the thread to two different trainers and both said they'd run for the hills if they ever saw a horse like that because it would only maintain or get worse, not better.

Not bashing you... it's just really interesting to see. In a good way. I like your outlook on things. I will say that one of my family friends bought a 3-year-old for one heck of a price with mild arthritis showing up in the x-rays (no physical signs). Sometimes I believe it's just that any horse you buy is a risk, and there's no guarantee that you'll get a sound horse even with a perfect PPE. I know of horses that passed with flying colors who ended up either lame or with very expensive ailments within a few years.

Comment

• Original Poster

So, I still haven't heard from the vet... I sent another email and called a couple of times but no luck. Don't have much to update with but I figured I would let you guys know where it's at. It's only been 3 days so I guess she has a lot on her plate. I'm just sitting on my hands and breathing and waiting. This is unusual for the vet in particular, she usually responded to my emails astonishingly quickly. I hope something bad hasn't happened.

Comment

So, I still haven't heard from the vet... I sent another email and called a couple of times but no luck. Don't have much to update with but I figured I would let you guys know where it's at. It's only been 3 days so I guess she has a lot on her plate. I'm just sitting on my hands and breathing and waiting. This is unusual for the vet in particular, she usually responded to my emails astonishingly quickly. I hope something bad hasn't happened.
                          That is VERY weird. You should have had the results in hand by the end of the day that she did the check, the next morning at the very latest. I'm not sure what's up with this vet but I would be PISSED if I were in your shoes.

Comment

Give her another call - sometimes emails go astray or get lost in the bombardment or she may be waiting for a 2nd opinion ... lots of possibilities.

Comment

Have you already paid? Because that is really strange for a vet to not get back to you on a ppe.. Kinda unprofessional
                              Race training and retraining Thoroughbreds.

Comment

Vets are human too. Sometimes things come up that take priority over a horse that's for sale ( such as a death in the family like the seller had). There was a post on here a while ago that was pretty harsh on a vet that hadn't called back, as it turned out there had been an accident. Lets hope it's just an oversight and nothing tragic.

Comment

Vets are very busy people. My vet told me it could take a week to get it back--it's a 5-6 page report with written explanations and details on everything she found. They have emergencies, regular appointments throughout the day, and many of them drive over an hour and a half each way to get to clients. I wouldn't worry about it too much, especially if she was recommended by people as you say she was. Give another call on Monday.

Comment

• Original Poster

She called me about the results today apologizing for how long it took to get back to me. Overall, she believes it is very minor. She explained that her equipment is very modern and there is a large screen in the back of an SUV so she can clearly see the x-rays.

"Extremely minor lipping in the lower joint which is believed to be the beginning of osteoarthritis" is what she said. She also emailed me over a rough draft with more specific medical terminology about it. I do not have the x-rays yet but she said I will definitely get them. She does not believe it is a gigantic risk, explaining to me that hock arthritis is the easiest to treat and this might not even progress or get worse. She issued a reality check saying that the right hock was in her opinion no more or less guaranteed to have issues than her left, that she has never had a single horse with a perfect PPE and in the grand scheme of things something like this is minor, easily maintained/treated and not something she would consider a deal breaker. She specializes in lameness and performance horses as well. She also stated that it's minor enough that some vets would not even consider it worth a diagnosis.

Lot to think about, still sending the x-rays over to a more local vet for their verdict on it. While at first I thought this might be a huge deal breaker I'm more calm about it now. I still don't know. Lots to think about. The vet also said give how minor it is in a year or two (too young now) I could opt for a "cunean tenectomy" which would probably protect the joint from degradation all together given how minor it is now, however she doesn't believe it warrants that at this time, especially not before the horse has had serious work.

Has anyone heard of that procedure before? Google is has a lot of positives about it but my local vet has not heard of it being used in a long time. I don't think I'd do surgery on a young horse but if in a year or two it starts to worsen I might consider being evaluated for it. If it meant avoiding years and years of pain and injections. IDK. Your thoughts on this whole thing?

Comment

I wouldn't be concerned about this considering it's very minor and in the lower joints which are going to fuse at some point anyway. Not all horses are the same. This could be normal for this horse.
                                      Do you have pictures of the horse?

She called me about the results today apologizing for how long it took to get back to me. Overall, she believes it is very minor. She explained that her equipment is very modern and there is a large screen in the back of an SUV so she can clearly see the x-rays.

"Extremely minor lipping in the lower joint which is believed to be the beginning of osteoarthritis" is what she said. She also emailed me over a rough draft with more specific medical terminology about it. I do not have the x-rays yet but she said I will definitely get them. She does not believe it is a gigantic risk, explaining to me that hock arthritis is the easiest to treat and this might not even progress or get worse. She issued a reality check saying that the right hock was in her opinion no more or less guaranteed to have issues than her left, that she has never had a single horse with a perfect PPE and in the grand scheme of things something like this is minor, easily maintained/treated and not something she would consider a deal breaker. She specializes in lameness and performance horses as well. She also stated that it's minor enough that some vets would not even consider it worth a diagnosis.

Lot to think about, still sending the x-rays over to a more local vet for their verdict on it. While at first I thought this might be a huge deal breaker I'm more calm about it now. I still don't know. Lots to think about. The vet also said give how minor it is in a year or two (too young now) I could opt for a "cunean tenectomy" which would probably protect the joint from degradation all together given how minor it is now, however she doesn't believe it warrants that at this time, especially not before the horse has had serious work.

Has anyone heard of that procedure before? Google is has a lot of positives about it but my local vet has not heard of it being used in a long time. I don't think I'd do surgery on a young horse but if in a year or two it starts to worsen I might consider being evaluated for it. If it meant avoiding years and years of pain and injections. IDK. Your thoughts on this whole thing?

Comment

You have to evaluate based on the horse, the price of the horse and your level of comfort. Very minor lipping in the hock is just not terribly bad or shocking.

I vetted a two year old early last year that was lame on THREE LEGS. She had not been backed yet. The vet didn't even call me before leaving the property as he was sure I would not be interested in the horse. Didn't bother with radiographs for the same reason.

A tiny amount of change of the radiographs is FAR from the end of the world.

But if it makes you that uncomfortable, then pass and find another horse. There are plenty out there.

Comment

Regarding "Whenever I talked about the PPE the seller kept repeating that she didn't think any issues would be found and seemed a little off put by my thorough exam."

Unfortunately I think this not an uncommon reaction from sellers since they make their money from sales and a bad finding can significantly reduce the price of the horse.

I just went through a PPE and the x-ray showed arthritis in the right hock of a 5-year old. The owner was prompt to say "Well no horse is perfect!" Aaaakward!!

Comment

Working...
                                          X