• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Have you ever wanted to...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My good girl friend and I like to head to the bar after our lessons in our full riding gear stinking of horse and sweat.

A few weeks ago, when asked the same question (I was in full seats, field boots, and wearing a shirt with a horse logo, plus my Rolex ball cap)...my friend replied to the gent, "No, she's a fascist."

I think the guy was drunk enough that he wasn't even sure what a fascist is. But I couldn't stifle my giggles and felt sorry for the poor sap and admitted that yes, I rode horses.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Originally posted by TheOrangeOne View Post
      A personal favorite is checking into horse show hotels. Generally I show up some time around 9 or 10, dirty, bleary eyed, in breeches and boots, with some kind of huge smear of something that I picked up giving the horse a bath or moving water buckets or who knows what. Naturally the desk clerks helpfully ask "oh, so are you here for the horse show?".

"No, there's a fetish convention up the road...rough night."

Keep waiting for it, but I am not so brave...
      Now that's funny.

Perhaps something like "wow, you really have an eye for the obvious..."

I get these sort of things at work all the time "hey, can I ask you a question?"

"Um, you just did."

I think people just don't know how to approach someone with an assumption, so it's easier to phrase it as a question. Kind of like

"are you expecting?" versus-

"when are you due.."

"Huh, I'm not pregnant"

DOH!

Comment

I live in Charleston (a very surprisingly non-horsey area). I usually hit the grocery store on the way home from the barn. I am usually in riding gear. I have had the usual "Do you ride horses?" questions (along with one fellow who really wanted to understand the point of those "patch things" on breeches.

My favorite though was one Sunday when I stopped at the Publix and a little girl noticed me. I kept seeing her following behind and staring and then running off. Once I made it to the produce aisle I heard footsteps behind me and an exasperated mom saying, "Well, you're just going to have to ask her!"

Finally, the girl came to ask about horses -- she just *knew* I rode because of my pants. I had my Ipod with pictures of Fisher on there, so she got to see him. She was curious that she had never heard of an Appendix QH but she had heard of both Quarter Horses and TB's. She was hillarious as she went through her register of horse related information.

I sometimes see her on Sunday afternoon and get grilled on the latest goings on with my boy and any questions she has come up with on horses (she can really stump you sometimes!). I'm not much of a kid person, but she is just adorable!
        When life gives you lemons. . .say &%^# you lemons! And throw those lemons back in life's face so that it will be afraid of you and won't try that crap again!

Comment

I once stopped at the Clinique counter of a department store to get make up after just coming from a long ride. My hair was plastered with sweat and I was covered in the usual horse grime. I felt a need to expalin to the sales person (since she and about 4 others were all staring) that I had just come from the barn. She said seriously, "oh really? I didn't notice" Yikes!

Also get men commenting on my "nice boots" which are paddocks and half chaps

Comment

Originally posted by gloriginger View Post
            I think people just don't know how to approach someone with an assumption, so it's easier to phrase it as a question. Kind of like

"are you expecting?" versus-

"when are you due.."

"Huh, I'm not pregnant"

DOH!
            My cousin had that happen to her. She was NOT pleased.

Comment

I am trying not to giggle at work.

I don't care anymore what people think when I am fully dressed in riding clothes. I even go grocery shopping post riding since I am out and about. I have had people give me the eyeballs, but heck at Wal-mart in my area you see women wearing tanktops with no bra that should be wearing a bra. Also cigarettes tucked into shirts(women), childern in diapers in the carriage. So if they have a problem with my horse-slimed shirt, and britches they can stuff it.
              OTTB - Hurricane Denton - Kane - the big dog!
              Tuggy - RIP 9/12/2016 - Wait for me at the bridge
              Foster LolaMaria AKA LolaBean (Boxer)

Comment

I live in a rural area. Very horsey. Lots of dairies and cow/calf operations. Lots of real farms - some small like mine, others much larger.

I'm usually in Carharrts and dairy boots in the winter, and overalls and dairy boots in the summer. The local gas station is pretty busy with folks passing through - many of them city people.

I have gotten "looks" when I step out of my big truck and start pumping gas. I know I look awful compared to the coiffed, manicured people in their cars.

But I do clean up good, really. I have pictures to prove it.

Anyway - I often fill up on gas going to or from a fixture during hunting season, and of course the horse is in the trailer. I'll step out of the truck in my frock, stocktie, shined boots and lovely britches, and start pumping gas.

I get the "look" from the city people. Ok, I know I look a little out of place among the city people and the Carharrt clad farmers. Then they look at the horse trailer.

Here it comes....

"You got a horse in there?"

(not making fun of city people - I'm sure that for many of them, it's the closest they've been to any of the following: a farmer, a female farmer, a foxhunter, or a horse. Still, I hear that at least twice each season, and each time I know it's coming and it always make me smile. Then, I offer to open the side door and let them pet my horse if they want.)
                Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by In_ View Post
                  Although I think it is - my area must not be very horsey - as i get horrible GLARES walking to and from my truck - three people have (at different times) mumbled "slut" under their breath as I walked by - in breeches and half-chaps! So - while I hate walking to my truck and back during the week - I get some sick, twisted pleasure from it on Sundays. Everyone else is in their fancy church clothing - dresses, heels, etc- and I come marching by in my horse gear. My question: Would God really approve of them sneering at someone like that for no reason?

I don't tend to get the "Do you ride horses?" because people are too horrified to talk to me. i have, however, gotten a few earnest "Ohh I like your footware!" from a few males. Go figure.
                  Oh dear! Where are you located?

Comment

I did one time walk into Mickey Dee's and step up to the counter. Unless I am riding I refrain from wearing tights. And I happened to be in a pair of Cruel gril Jeans Ariat Ropers and a shirt with Pebbles and Dino that read "cowgirl" with the laso she had. Just a fmaily joke, my nickname was pebbles I had the red hair and destructive attitude to match. As I step to the counter to order. " May I help you...." I smile to the guy, tell him my order. And with the smirk only a guy could have, he looks right at my chest area and says " I LIKE YOUR BOOTS"
                    Now normally yea, Boots cannot be Mixed with Boobs.. But He was hispanic and he had barely enough accent to make what he said questionable. My brother just Glared at him. I happened to laugh my buttocks off!

See I am the person who has a very synical mind.
                    I have never had the oppertunity to say it, because thankfully I do live in horse city! Everyone looks, but they of course understand that I do indeed ride horses.
                    But I think it would be funny to turn when asked the question and calmy reply.
                    " No... my Husband and I decided to try something different" And take my food and run to the car before I laughed myself to death.
                    Of course only if the person asking was adult.
                    Now I am not married. But could you imagine the reaction!
                    Zook Suit Riot- Mustang/Paint Gelding
                    Proud member of the KELTON'S Crew
                    CousinVinsky-Skinny Vinny JockeyClub/Alydar Grandson.Gelding Chestnut.
                    CUnex2zdai- 2008 Buttermilk Buckskin Colt -ABHA/IBHA

Comment

From the sounds of this topic, someone could make a buck on shirts that say something like....

"I just came from the barn, and my horse though I looked (or smelled) fine"

I usually make some attempt at looking or smelling normal (baseball cap, body spray, quick de-hairing in the parking lot) then I get to the checkout and realize I've forgotten the horse grime under my fingernails.... which totally blows my attempt to look less like a classless grit who has no idea how bad she smells.
                      ::Sometimes you have to burn a few bridges to keep the crazies from following you::

Comment

I'm so annoyed when people look all surprised. Especially here in VA. I mean, I don't look at them and go, "Are you a member of the US power-eating team?" Or, "Are you a hooker or do you just dress like one?"

Can't ever figure out why people don't just let you be when you are wearing something other than what is in their closet. I pretty much just get my look at them and move along.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me

Comment

[quote=Anyplace Farm;3563471]I'm so annoyed when people look all surprised. Especially here in VA. I mean, I don't look at them and go, "Are you a member of the US power-eating team?" Or, "Are you a hooker or do you just dress like one?"

Oh, how I wish I had the nerve to use these 2 comments. TOO FUNNY

Comment

Whats also fun is counting how many people stared at you. My friend and I got 21 once, the whole store. No Joke. And then when we leave we annouce, "For the ___#___ of people who stared, yes we DO ride horses." We get a lot of embarassed looks from that one. Ecpessially my dad.

Comment

I've had two situations where people have commented on my riding apparel.

One was during a polo tournament, for my university's team. I was sent to the store to buy flour to chalk the arena, and the register said, "Wow you smell bad!" My response was, "Excuse me?" To cover up his error he replied, "Umm, the flour . . . the flour smells bad." My friend and I laughed all the way back to the barn.

The other was in the grocery store, while I was wearing my full seat breeches. A little boy spotted them and said to his mother, "She must have ripped her pants bad, cause she has a patch on her butt like I have on my knee!" pointing to the patch over a hole in his jeans. His mother looked mortified that I heard, but all I could do was giggle.

Comment

My HJ trainer I first started with as a kid was once filling up the truck as we headed for a horse show. Truck, trailer, horses (stomping horses), trainer in boots and breeches, and up pulled a little car at the next pump that had a bag of golf clubs in the back seat. Perfectly attired for day on the greens golfer gets out and starts filling up while eying our rig and the trainer. We kids were just waiting for it. Finally, it came.

"Do you ride horses?"

Trainer looked from him to his car and back to him and said, without missing a beat, "Yes, I do. Do you play golf, or are they just car decorations?"

Comment

I got into a fender bender once on the way home from the barn. I had on breeches, paddock boots, half chaps, polo with horsie on it.

The other guy gets out of his car and says, "What, were you playing softball or something?"

Comment

I live in a horsey area so if I buy 10 pounds or more of carrots in one go I usually get some type of "you must have a lucky horse" from the checkers.

Then they ask me about him and I get the blank stare when I say he's a TB and we event... To a lot of people here there are two types of horses quarter horses or paints!

I love how friendly they are and they get excited when I tell them his grandfather ran the Kentucky Derby.

Comment

Before you jump all over the non-horsey people. Maybe they want to strike up a horsey conversation and that would be the obvious first question to ask.

If you don't want to be bothered, then take off the half chaps, spurs and other things (that can come off ) before entering stores, restaurants etc.
                                      MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
                                      http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

• Original Poster

I had another occurrence today in Wal-Mart- Breeches, half chaps, t-shirt with ALL SORTS of boogers on it, Rolex hat plopped on my frizzy hair...

Someone walked past me, did a double take, turned around and walked up to and introduced herself as a fellow trainer at a nearby barn and we chatted for awhile. That was fun!
                                        Big Idea Eventing

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Huntertwo View Post
                                          Before you jump all over the non-horsey people. Maybe they want to strike up a horsey conversation and that would be the obvious first question to ask.

If you don't want to be bothered, then take off the half chaps, spurs and other things (that can come off ) before entering stores, restaurants etc.

Wow... I'm pretty sure we were all making light of the situation.

If you'll notice, most of us are saying "wouldn't it be funny?" and not "guess what I did the other day!"

Lighten up.
                                          Big Idea Eventing

Comment

Working...
                                          X