• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Truck Shopping. Anyone Here Tow With a Toyota Tundra V8 5.7?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by beachpony View Post
    Kookycat,

They don't sell them in the U.S. :-(

Thanks,

Joanne
    Oh, I know. Just thought I'd weigh in on Toyotas in general.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

Beachpony
      I second the "stomp on the gas" experience. And, yes, you will need a step on this baby. Should have listened to my husband; now I grab the handle on the frame and haul myself up.
      pace, path, balance, impulsion and ??

Don't panic! Ralph Leroy Hill

Comment

Has anyone seen the episode from Top Gear where they try to kill an older Toyota Hilux?

They drive it down stone stairs, catch it on stone walls (in Bristol), run it into a tree, park it by the Seven Estuary and let the tide completely cover it (the tide actually break the ropes they used to tie it down) - they find it and after getting the silt and water out and some mechanic work (no spare parts) it's running again, run it through a wooden...building, drop a smallish camper trailer on it, let a wrecking ball bounce around on it, and then proceed to set fire to it. The only thing they replaced was the windshield and it still runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xnWKz7Cthkk
        The Sempiternal Horse

Comment

Thank you Gestalt!

Did you tow the 3 horse a lot with the 2008? Since new? What about hills? Plenty of power?

Thank you so much!

Joanne
          I did tow a lot w/the 2008. The difference between the '08 and the '12 that I noticed is the suspension. We get high winds here and with 3 horses the '08 seemed to develop trailer sway if I was over 55mph. This is with a gooseneck. Some people don't believe me, but the '12 feels solid in wind with the trailer fully loaded.

Semp, that video is crazy!!!!
          Hillary Rodham Clinton - the peoples choice for president.

Comment

Is the 4.7l engine enough power to tow a 2 horse trailer? I've been looking at the Tundra for a while but have only been considering the 5.7.

Comment

Originally posted by caryledee View Post
              Is the 4.7l engine enough power to tow a 2 horse trailer? I've been looking at the Tundra for a while but have only been considering the 5.7.
              That would depend on what kind of terrain you're driving in. If you live in a mountainous region, then I would go for the 5.7 litre. I own a 2007 4.7 litre and it pulls my 2007 Hawk trailer, with dressing room, fully loaded with equipment and a big Thoroughbred and a fat Quarter Horse just fine. However, I live in Florida which is all flat.

As to the longevity of Toyota, I get them at dealer cost so I have had just about every model they manufacture. I've had a Rav 4, Tacoma, Highlander, Tundra, 4 Runner and a Venza. I have only done routine maintenance on any of them and with the exception of the Venza they've all hit over at least 65K miles, some of them 100k.

We had two Tundras and hubby was convinced we didn't need two so he sold his to a horse friend at our barn who pulls her horse trailer and her boat with no issue. It had close to 70k on it when we sold it to her and to my knowledge has not given her any problems. She had a Ford F150 prior to that that had a little more mileage but was costing her a lot of money in repairs.

As far as the bent frame, if this were a widespread issue I would have heard about that through work. You would be amazed at the stupid shit people do against manufacturer recommendations. Case in point, I know of a few people towing a horse trailer with an FJ cruiser and a Tacoma. Knock wood there have never been any problems, but I wouldn't do it.

I've owned both Ford and Dodge vehicles and got nickel and dimed to death once they hit the 60k mile mark. My Toyotas? NOT ONE SINGLE THING (other than a $100 O2 sensor on the Rav 4 when I traded it in, had 100K miles on it). Literally I've done oil changes and replaced a battery or two, that's it.

My BO drives a GMC and has put that truck through the ringer as much hauling as she's done with horse shows and such, and it's still going strong. I've never had any experience with GMC's personally, but hers does seem like it can take a licking.

I love Toyota cuz I'm a major bia when i'm broken down on the side of the road....
              She who cares the least wins.....

Comment

Thanks! I agree with you on GM trucks...my Chevy is 17 years old and I never had to put money into it until this last year. Most of what has gone wrong now has come from issues of living in the snow belt for a long time. The engine is still going strong!

I've been looking at the Tundras for a while now though and have decided that is my next truck. The fact that they hold their value so well is wonderful, except that makes them hard to find used at a cheap price!

Comment

From a fellow Joanne we have a 2010 that I love. I did manage to scare both my husband and the salesman with my acceleration and brake tests. I haul a 2 horse older BP and it faults fabulously - feels like there's nothing back there really. The only time the instant MPG really drops is when I'm starting on an incline at a stop sign... There's one we have to do to get out of our neighborhood.

My husband uses it as his daily driver and loves it as much as I do. Two thumbs up.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank again EVERYBODY! You've all helped soooo much! I'm test driving a 2010 tomorrow... Yipeeeeee! I'll be thinking about the "pedal to the metal" stories posted here when I take it for a spin! ;-)

Thank youuuuuu!

Joanne :-)
                    http://joannestephens.blogspot.com/
                    https://picasaweb.google.com/1159092...46256687404737

Comment

• Original Poster

Just drove home the 2010 Tundra! Woo-hoo! OMG, it has SO much power!!!

Thank you again EVERYBODY!!!

Comment

I also have a V8 5.7L Tundra with a tow package - bought it slightly used 3 years ago and its been great. I tow a Featherlite SL 2H GN all aluminum trailer with it -- usually just one horse. The truck handles the tralier fine -- and that's up and down hills in Western NY and PA. And we haul to Florida and back -- don't take the horses (they go commercial) but we do use the trailer as a "moving van" with a fair amount of stuff and the truck does fine through the mountains. All that being said, the limiting factor of the truck with a GN is the payload and if I hauled my two horses together alot (a Friesian and 16.3H Hanoverian) I'd probably step up to a 3/4 ton truck but would miss the reliability of my Tundra.

Comment

Originally posted by OldNag View Post
                          I know I'm partial, but Toyota has always been known for it's longevity. Most of my friends driving Fords start having problems after about 60k miles or so.
                          I can't stop myself. This is just silly -- one of the biggest pieces of longevity is MAINTENANCE and how you drive the vehicle. I've owned four different Ford models, drive the F250 now; they all had a heck of a lot more miles than that. The only one I EVER had issues with was one that had been wrecked, flooded and poorly maintained before I got it.

Of course, I'm a person who thinks that buying a brand new vehicle is just about the worst investment you can make. I bought an 8 year old one and 50K miles later, it hasn't even had a hiccup. Of course, it's the 7.3L Ford diesel and has been maintained immaculately, so it's got about another 30 years left in it, LOL.

Glad the OP is happy with your vehicle purchase. I hope it serves you well for a long time.
                          Life doesn't have perfect footing.

Bloggily entertain yourself with our adventures (and disasters):
                          We Are Flying Solo

Comment

Just drove home the 2010 Tundra! Woo-hoo! OMG, it has SO much power!!!

Thank you again EVERYBODY!!!

You will love it I tow with my 2010 Tundra 5.7l and lovvvvve it. Barely know my trailer is back there, seriously. Congrats!
                            "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

Comment

• Original Poster

Love hearing all of your stories about towing up hills. I've been towing my ONE horse (just bought the second one recently) with a V8 Ford Explorer for the last 13 years. Before you GASP, I knew not to "push it". Just stayed locally on little surface streets and NO hills. Been very limited! Couldn't wait to take my new Tundra for a drive this morning (without a trailer) up the big steep hill right behind where I live where there's a beautiful preserve with MILES of trails. I've never been able to trailer up to the staging area. So frustrating as my home has a view of it! The Tundra just flew up that hill this morning like nothing! I'll be getting my trailer brake wiring done next week and be ready to hit the road!

Thank you all for the zillionth time!

Joanne. :-)

P.S. Anyone know how to post a pic here? Damned if I can figure out how to do that!

Comment

LOL, well my first tow vehicle was an S10 Jimmy with a V6 engine. I lived in a flat area and only towed locally and it did just fine. I wouldn't go back to it though.
                                To post a picture, you need to be a premium member. You can post a link to a picture on another site. I would love to see the new Tundra!!

Comment

• Original Poster

Here "she" is!

https://picasaweb.google.com/1159092...63108605316114

I've named her "Merle" as in Blue Merle... white, grey (interior), and black (tires, etc.) because I have two blue merle Austrailan Shepherds... perfect match! ;-)

The matching Aussies:

https://picasaweb.google.com/1159092...65580666897490

Comment

Beautiful! If you ever get tired of her, send her my way. I have a blue merle border collie so she would fit in perfectly.

Comment

• Original Poster

Caryledee:

Don't think I'll EVER part with Merle, but now you know that there's a perfect matching truck for our dogs! ;-)

Thanks for the tip on posting a pic.

Comment

That is an awesome truck!
                                        Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

Totally agree with the negatives on Fords.... My hubby takes GREAT care of his trucks, I'm still driving his old 1992 Dodge dually, and his 2002 ford dually still looks new but gives us nothing but trouble. Have gotten recall letters on all our Ford vehicles for various issues (usually years after having to hunt them down and fix them).

Jennifer
                                          Third Charm Event Team

Comment

Working...
                                          X