• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

It is not the gun or the spur or the whip

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It is not the gun or the spur or the whip

From horseman Guy McLean as posted on his Facebook page (hope it's okay to share here?)

"There is a huge debate on gun ownership in the US at the moment and as an Australian Horseman who doesn't carry a gun you may think I do not have an opinion but I do. At every large show I perform at, at least one person questions my use of a Dressage whip and Stockman spurs as if my only intention is to do my horse damage with them and in my defense I say to them 'That it is never the spur or the whip that has hurt a horse, just like it is never the gun or the knife that kills, it is always the humans intention that decides upon the use of any tool or weapon'. I use my tools of choice with the utmost respect for those who I am dealing with and because of this get above average results. The countless sinful killings we are seeing is not from guns but from lack of respect for each other and fellow man and most importantly for ourselves. If we all could walk one day in the shoes of our enemies we would find we had none,for all of us in our own little worlds are doing the best we can. Out of respect for others, I treat them as I would like to be treated and see that my actions if put in use against me would always be of the highest moral value. It is not the gun, the whip or the spur that should be banned but the hateful intention to hurt another to somehow better ourselves. If we all could live in a world governed by good manners, genuine trust and respect and true love for the world we live in, these pressing issues would be no issue at all. It is time we join together and honor those who's lives have been taken and work each day to better ourselves, so that we can all benefit from a better world in the future."
    "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

I love this!
    Nothing better than an OTTB.... Just Plan Partners,Penny, you have stolen my heart<3

http://secondchancethoroughbreds.org

Comment

OK well - I'll take my chances with a crazed lunatic armed with a lunge whip and a spur before I'll face one with a semi-automatic weapon.

Don't see the analogy.

If you misuse one, you screw up a horse. If you misuse the other - yeah, we all know what happens.

I'm sure Mr. McLean has all good intentions, but really - good manners? Loving one another? Nice thoughts. I'm all for it. Let's see if those good wishes keep the next seriously disturbed maniac from laying waste to innocent lives. I'm not putting any money on it.

It's time to talk seriously about preventing these tragedies.
      I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

I have a lot of respect for the Australian GM, but when I saw his post this afternoon, I just .
        Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Comment

I LOVE this, AND we still need to get an understanding of WTF is going on with these people.

Comment

Originally posted by lilitiger2 View Post
            I LOVE this, AND we still need to get an understanding of WTF is going on with these people.
            Yeah and in the meantime better gun control would be nice.

Comment

I predict this will quickly lose its extremely thin veneer of HR-ness and move on into a OTT-like gun control/mental health thread.
              Proud Member Of The Lady Mafia

Comment

If we do not wish to lose our freedom, we must learn to tolerate our
                neighbor's right to freedom even though he might express that freedom
                in a manner we consider to be eccentric.

Protect your privacy. Replace Google with https://startpage.com/

Comment

Originally posted by cssutton View Post

I don't understand? It's powered by Google, what makes it different?
                  I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Comment

Originally posted by grayarabpony View Post
                    Yeah and in the meantime better gun control would be nice.
                    Why can't I thumbs up this more?

To keep this horse related: We've all known horses for whom there was nothing anyone could do that would make them safe citizens. The same is true for people. We most likely will NEVER understand what is going on with these people regardless of our technology or countless hours of interviews by docs.

Comment

Well said Bearcat!

Comment

Originally posted by cssutton View Post

Sadly this is a concept that has been dying for a very long time. We Americans do an abysmal job at dealing with rights in collision.

I do carry a gun on occasion (and I don't generally discuss those occasions ) but two times are Cowboy Mounted Shooting and the Mounted Pistol class at the National Cavalry Competition. I've yet to shoot a person during either activity. To hear some tell it, my carrying of a firearm makes me a menace to the very safety of every man, woman, and child (particularly the child) in America.

I heard a piece this a.m. on NPR by a gun control advocate who also is an advocate for fair regulations permitting individuals to carry firearms. He rejects the NRA's often "binary" stance on firearm control legislation. In reality I think I probably have some common ground with him. We might disagree on some important details (like the current mania to ban "assault weapons") but over time if he is, in fact, reasonable we could even come to agreement, there.

He also noted that persons with CCW licenses commit crimes at not only a rate lower than the general populace, but even at a rate lower than police officers. This bit of fact seems to have eluded the "diligent research" at places like Barbara Boxer's office, the major media (ABC/NBC/CBS/NPR/etc.).

Both sides of this debate are deeply committed to goals that are both unattainable and would have a host of negative, unintended consequences. It's time we reject "binary" solutions and look for stuff that works in the "real world."

G.
                        Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Originally posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
                          OK well - I'll take my chances with a crazed lunatic armed with a lunge whip and a spur before I'll face one with a semi-automatic weapon.

Don't see the analogy.
                          Neither do I.
                          Nor do I see the analogy between guns and swimming pools (REALLY?!!!) cars, drugs etc.

And I am sure this thread will be closed very soon.
                          Ottbs - The finish line is only the beginning!

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Daydream Believer View Post
                            Well said Bearcat!
                            I didn't say it, just shared a horseman's viewpoint (hence the quotation marks.)

That said, I am quite puzzled by those saying they don't see the analogy...?
                            "a·nal·o·gy (-nl-j)
                            n. pl. a·nal·o·gies
                            a. Similarity in some respects between things that are otherwise dissimilar.
                            b. A comparison based on such similarity. "
                            From the Free Dictionary

Of course guns and whips are not the same thing. Guy's point was that both can cause harm in the wrong hands. Just like the rest of us, I am sure he is trying to make sense of the recent tragedy and is relating it to his daily life and what he is familiar with. He has a young daughter also so it probably hit close to home.

Also, a 5 year old with a whip probably can't cause too much damage, whereas we have all unfortunately heard of small children picking up a loaded gun in their house and accidentally shooting their brother or visiting playmate...
                            "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Comment

Well said.

Originally posted by Guilherme View Post
                              Sadly this is a concept that has been dying for a very long time. We Americans do an abysmal job at dealing with rights in collision.

I do carry a gun on occasion (and I don't generally discuss those occasions ) but two times are Cowboy Mounted Shooting and the Mounted Pistol class at the National Cavalry Competition. I've yet to shoot a person during either activity. To hear some tell it, my carrying of a firearm makes me a menace to the very safety of every man, woman, and child (particularly the child) in America.

I heard a piece this a.m. on NPR by a gun control advocate who also is an advocate for fair regulations permitting individuals to carry firearms. He rejects the NRA's often "binary" stance on firearm control legislation. In reality I think I probably have some common ground with him. We might disagree on some important details (like the current mania to ban "assault weapons") but over time if he is, in fact, reasonable we could even come to agreement, there.

He also noted that persons with CCW licenses commit crimes at not only a rate lower than the general populace, but even at a rate lower than police officers. This bit of fact seems to have eluded the "diligent research" at places like Barbara Boxer's office, the major media (ABC/NBC/CBS/NPR/etc.).

Both sides of this debate are deeply committed to goals that are both unattainable and would have a host of negative, unintended consequences. It's time we reject "binary" solutions and look for stuff that works in the "real world."

G.

Comment

The common denominator in this are the people who have lost touch with reality having guns. But I do feel that if they were restricted from having guns, they would find another way to carry out their plan.

Someone who is cruel with a whip and spurs will still find a way to be cruel to their horse is you remove those devices from them.

I think the answer is to find a way to TRUELY help those that are having mental health problems. When you are dealing with adults this can be near impossible. And yes, I am speaking about a first hand experience that is very personal and painful.

Comment

Originally posted by Finzean View Post
                                  Why can't I thumbs up this more?

To keep this horse related: We've all known horses for whom there was nothing anyone could do that would make them safe citizens. The same is true for people. We most likely will NEVER understand what is going on with these people regardless of our technology or countless hours of interviews by docs.
                                  Well, with horses, there's an easy solution to that problem, one generally involving a gun if you don't want to waste money on a vet. The same solution works for irreparable people, too, but unfortunately for some reason we get all touchy about it when it's a human, no matter how much worse they are than a bad animal actor.

It's not the tool, it's the operator. There's only one real solution for any creature that's dangerous and can't be changed. It's not to punish normal people.
                                  Author Page
                                  Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                                  Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Originally posted by jawa View Post
                                    The common denominator in this are the people who have lost touch with reality having guns. But I do feel that if they were restricted from having guns, they would find another way to carry out their plan.
                                    Won't know for sure though until we try, will we? What if we just keep them from getting guns that deliver ammunition quickly enough to mow down crowds of people in mere minutes?

I understand that guns don't kill people - people kill people. But people don't kill dozens of other people in seconds without the aid of some pretty serious firepower.

Seems to me we could at least put those people to the trouble of having to buy it on the black market. Then maybe the next antisocial little homeschooled headcase can't manage to get ahold of Mama's Bushmaster. If he had to content himself with a revolver at least he'd only take out six people - or five if he saved the last round for himself.
                                    I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

Looks like Guy McLean hasn't been brainwashed by the media's feeding frenzy.
                                      The inherent vice of Capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of Socialism is the equal sharing of miseries.
                                      Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by pAin't_Misbehavin' View Post
                                        Won't know for sure though until we try, will we? What if we just keep them from getting guns that deliver ammunition quickly enough to mow down crowds of people in mere minutes?

I understand that guns don't kill people - people kill people. But people don't kill dozens of other people in seconds without the aid of some pretty serious firepower.

Seems to me we could at least put those people to the trouble of having to buy it on the black market. Then maybe the next antisocial little homeschooled headcase can't manage to get ahold of Mama's Bushmaster. If he had to content himself with a revolver at least he'd only take out six people - or five if he saved the last round for himself.
                                        OK, so give us your plan for the "try."

G.
                                        Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Working...
                                        X