• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Do You Feel Guilty if You Make Your Horse Do Something?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do You Feel Guilty if You Make Your Horse Do Something?

I'm not talking about putting a hose down his ear or up his nose, I'm talking about the day to day stuff. Yes, I am going to put this winter blanket on you before I turn you out. No, you may not rush through the gate and yank on me. Yes, I am going to wash and rinse your head, you have enough mud on it to start a farm. No, you may not pin your ears at me and rush up when I come in the stall with grain or hay. I expect to be able to make the horse do something it may not like or prefer, without any OMG of guilt on my part. Isn't this normal for dealing with an animal?

Would you also feel guilty if you made your dog come in out of the rain so he can't roll in the mud, or brushed your long-haired cat even if he didn't like it? I just think - in the kindest possible way - we can feel justified when we boss our animals around for their own good, and/or to make life easier for us. Am I wrong?

I do not feel in the slightest bit guilty.
    The Noodlehttp://tiny.cc/NGKmT&http://tiny.cc/gioSA
    Jinxyhttp://tiny.cc/PIC798&http://tiny.cc/jinx364
    Boy Wonderhttp://tiny.cc/G9290
    The Hana is nuts! NUTS!!http://tinyurl.com/SOCRAZY

Comment

Not about day-to-day stuff like that because he loves to be in out of the rain/wind/sun/mud etc...you get the picture. He loves his blankee.

What I feel guilty about is that I am *bothering* by riding him. I was raised by a mom who was constantly telling me to stop what I was doing because I was bothering people, to come away from those people because I was bothering them. I was 64 before I realized that the only person I ever bothered was HER. But that's another story!!

I have had to work really hard to change my thinking. Because I bought him for riding!!! He likes being ridden!!! In fact, for him, riding is mommy and me time. He really loves me as a people and loves doing things with me. Even just having him in his stall while I clean it or hang around putzing in the barn. But I still worry a little that I am bothering him.
      Ride like you mean it.

Comment

Huh – nope, never felt guilty doing the stuff you described. I feel that I am firm but fair with my horses. A bit less firm than the punishments the herd bosses dish out at turn out time!

I feel twinge (but I wouldn’t call it guilt) if I accidently hurt them (catch a rein on a passing gate, accidently poke a wound I am treating). But I apologize to the horse – by calming them, and then rewarding them for their cooperation.

But no, I do not feel guilty when working with my horse! Especially when doing the “good for them” stuff.
        APPSOLUTE CHOCKLATE - Photo by Kathy Colman

Comment

No. They get food, shelter, veterinary care, attention, and a guaranteed home for life. In exchange they follow a few rules and behave when I need them to.
          "In the beginning, the universe was created. This made a lot of people angry and has widely been considered as a bad move." -Douglas Adams

Comment

Now and then... but whenever I'm around a horse or dog or cat who has never had any structure or rules I realise that the structure and rules that I impose really make my animals better adjusted, calmer, healthier and better able to deal with the human dominated world we all live in.
            ::With age comes wisdom. Apparently "wisdom" weighs about 40 pounds.::

Comment

I feel guilty about riding them especially in the indoor. I try to make it interesting and rewarding for them but always feel that I am intruding on their time. I keep telling myself that this is their job and after all I do for them they can spare me an hour.

Needless to say I think that is one of the reasons our training progress has been so slow.

Comment

Nope. He has a job just like I do, and I dare say that his is much easier. He only has to work for about 4-6 hours a week, doesn't have to deal with a crappy commute, and the drama in his life is kept to a pretty bare minimum. I don't ask him for much...a little leg yield here, a little shoulder in there, a bigger trot here, a more collected canter there...c'mon, how hard can it be? Plus, I only growl at him when he doesn't pay attention, trips, and then practically falls on his face (he has moments of being A.D.D..."Oh, look...the neighbor kid is on his swing-....oh, wait...a deer!") or if the little dickens keeps trying to take advantage of my weaker right rein and pops that right shoulder out. I like to remind him that it's a good thing he's big and pretty
                "I was not expecting the park rangers to lead the resistance, none of the dystopian novels I read prepared me for this but cool."

Comment

Originally posted by GypsyQ View Post
                  No. They get food, shelter, veterinary care, attention, and a guaranteed home for life. In exchange they follow a few rules and behave when I need them to.
                  Exactly! I work 40 hours a week so that my horse has everything she needs in life. I do not feel guilty about the 1 hour or so that I am asking her to do what I want! She has the other 23 hours in a day to stand around and eat. Rough life!

Comment

About as guilty as I felt about making my son go to the dentist or do his homework.

In other words, nope, not at all.
                    "Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple” – Barry Switzer

Comment

The beauty of it is to make your idea become their idea.
                      "When life gives you scurvy, make lemonade."

Comment

My boss makes me get up 5 days a week, brush myself off, and work in exchange for the money to feed, clean, house myself. He doesn't feel guilty.

I make my horses work for 20-30 minutes in exchange for food, cleanliness and shelter.

They come out on top. Guilt<0.

Comment

I feel guilty about the major things- like when I sold his pasture buddy, or when he had to move into a regular stall for the winter, instead of his nice big paddock and run-in stall. When he has to stay in for a day or two after chiro. Things like that make me feel guilty, because I'm pretty sure he doesn't understand why his pattern has been disrupted.

I do not feel guilty for making him behave when he's doing things that could be dangerous.

I do feel guilty when he's bored because of something I'm doing- such as when he has to stand in the indoor arena while I clean his stall, or when I'm working on my equitation and make him do seemingly endless downward transitions while I try to keep my shoulders back, for example.

I feel a twinge when something I'm making him do results in him getting hurt through his own stupidity- like when he rears on the trailer and beans his weird little head.

Comment

Why on earth would I?
                            I would (do) feel guilty about not doing these things.

I would feel guilty about doing things that could hurt them or put them at a disadvantage/danger.
                            I do feel bad when I pet my kitty and get her inadvertantly staticly charged - the ZAP is not what I was going for

But keeping their fur mat free, their bodies clean and warm? nope, no guilt.

But then again, I have practiced guilt free living for the last 15 years....going on 16. The only guilt I feel is from not making him do the things he has to do (not a horse, but could be a mule, when he isn't an ass... ah, bad puns!)
                            Originally posted by BigMama1
                            Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                            GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Nope, I don't feel the least bit guilty for making him be obedient. I EXPECT obedience, he gets corrected if he is NOT obedient. He has standards of expectation to meet, because his obedience is IMPORTANT to our relationship as Handler/Rider/Driver, and doing is what is requested of him.

I have ALWAYS expected obedience, with corrections given if I don't get what is asked for. I don't correct severely unless it is REALLY important. He needs to "get" the wrong answer to request/question is correction, FAST or someone could get hurt. If I mess up, ask wrong, misspeak or mis-signal, I apologise, pat horse and we try again. He is pretty forgiving, which is why we have the kind of horses we do.

An equine of any size is NOT a pet. Size, hard hooves, make it easy to hurt things around them if they don't obey. With our Driving competitions, it can literally be life-endangering if horse doesn't obey EVERY TIME you ask things. They get NO SAY in choices when we say "go there" or STAND. They MUST do it or someone WILL get hurt, could be themselves!!

I enjoy using and being around horses who are good mannered, forgiving types that don't over react to various requests or surprises. We work hard to get them trained that way, keep them trained that way. Starts as soon as they are purchased, learning the words and corresponding behaviour, or from foals to adults.

I hate being around disobedient horses, pushy, rubbing, getting into stuff, moving around. Owner just keeps repeating commands with NO CHANGE by equine!

As mentioned, horses don't really work THAT MUCH for us, that they can't be very obedient when we are handling them, asking for various behaviour like blanket putting on or removal, clipping etc, along with being ridden or Driven. With all we do in labor, spend on them, obedience is the LEAST they can give back!

Our horses are extremely well behaved in all our activities. We get compliments on them when we go places, surprise at how they ALL behave. The only trick is having high expectations, accepting no less from the animal, correcting what is not wanted EVERY time you handle them. Horses like knowing boundaries, but being herd animals they WILL try moving up in status now and again, pushing to see that boundary is still there. No guilt on correcting a horse, using a horse, and actually making it work HARD. I work and pay to keep our horses so we CAN use them!!

Comment

Not sure I understand the post, does ANYONE feel guilty about doing any of those things?

I always tell my mare I feed you, clothe you, get you regular pedicures and dentist work and supply you with cookies, the least YOU can do is tote my fat happy butt around for a trail ride for 2 hours a MONTH! LOL!

She still doesn't agree. We discuss this several times during said trail rides.
                                I want a signature but I have nothing original to say except: "STHU and RIDE!!!

Wonderful COTHER's I've met: belleellis, stefffic, snkstacres and janedoe726.

Comment

Do I feel guilty for making my horse behave as a safe and solid citizen? And for making him learn "useful" skills? Aw, hell no!

My plan is to keep him forever, but life happens, and if I ever have to move him down the road, I want to know that he's got the skills and the manners to help him find a soft place to land, and hopefully to be loved.

Comment

Originally posted by meupatdoes View Post
                                    I do not feel in the slightest bit guilty.
                                    Spot On! My "nags" get the full health, farrier, dental, room & board. With a barn maid (me). They get feed, watered and bedded downed. If they are outside in cold weather, they have blankets with a big round hay bale. Plenty of water. With an outside run-in.

Nope. Don't feel guilty at all.

If any one of them have a problem with me taking one of them for a ride....I just can perfect my "CTJ" persona.

Comment

It would never even occur to me to feel "guilty" for any of the above.

However, I did feel horrible after the completion of a Christmas parade in 2010. It was insane. Screaming people, children running under/around horses grabbing candy, redneck on his stallion running up my mare's butt, etc. etc. etc. Total chaos with no organization whatsoever. Thankfully, all Penny did was jig thru it all. She never got ugly or misbehaved.... but I was a wreck!!!!

When we finally made it safely back to the trailer and I dismounted, I hugged that mare's neck and vowed outloud NEVER to do that to her again!
                                      <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

No guilt for me. If anything, I feel proud that I don't allow myself to be bullied out of doing the necessary stuff to my gelding. As for riding? No, no guilt there either.
                                        Sheilah

Comment

Working...
                                        X