• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Are people just not buying saddles right now?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #41
    I have the opposite problem. I am looking for a specific County jump saddle and can not find it. My horse and I are particular. I wish the forums still had the looking for section.
    Jacobson's Saddlery, LLC
    www.thesaddlefits.com
    Society of Master Saddlers trained saddle fitter

    Comment

    • Original Poster

      #42
      Jn4Jenny, you have an email

      Comment


      • #43
        Apparently I'm doing it wrong! I've had my less than 6 months old collegiate diploma convertible for sale with full gullet kit for less than half the price new. I've posted it in lots of places with good pics and NO bites!



        Originally posted by jn4jenny View Post

        Here's some of my other broad scope generalizations.



        2. There are still a few saddle models out there that are hot, hot, hot *if* they are priced appropriately. Some of them are fairly new products and therefore very hard to get them on the used market, such as the Voltaire Lexington, Voltaire Palm Beach, County Sensation, etc. Some of them are just really popular products, like the Devoucoux Chiberta, the CWD SE02, the discontinued older model of the Wintec Pro Jump (people are clamoring to get them now that the design has changed), the discontinued 17.5" and 18" versions of the Phillippe Fontaine Diane and Danielle, the Wise-Air saddles especially the adjustable gullet versions, etc. Still other saddles benefit from collusion and cartel effects; the Custom dressage saddles, for example, tend to go back into the hands of Custom reps who can command top dollar for them, and move them quickly. Some saddles are very versatile in their fit for horse and rider, which broadens their market appeal; for example, you'd have to really be doin' it wrong to have trouble moving a Collegiate Convertible Diploma in 17.5" or 18".


        "

        Comment


        • #44
          Originally posted by finneas View Post
          Apparently I'm doing it wrong! I've had my less than 6 months old collegiate diploma convertible for sale with full gullet kit for less than half the price new. I've posted it in lots of places with good pics and NO bites!
          I said the Collegiate Convertible Diploma in 17.5" and 18". Based on your other thread, I'm pretty sure that's not the size you're selling. That said, 6 months is an awfully long time even if it's a 17" or 16.5". Chances are you're doin' something wrong. My guess is that you don't have the saddle advertised in venues where it would really attract the right attention, and/or the pictures and description are not as useful as you think. For example, here's three key mistakes I see people make when they advertise that saddle:
          1. They don't actually explain what the Easy Change Gullet System is for buyers who don't know about it, or they don't play up the adjustability of the wool flocking.
          2. They don't shoot pictures at an angle that showcases this saddle's naturally forward flap angle.
          3. They don't emphasize its sister relationship with the more expensive Bates Caprilli Close Contact. Your ideal buyer is someone who is miffed about having to buy a $900 used Bates Caprilli CC and sees a $500-$600 Collegiate Convertible Diploma as a very juicy alternative, especially for people who have gotten sour on the CAIR system but otherwise love the Bates Caprilli CC.

          But again, the #1 mistake is not enough exposure. If your saddle isn't on every used saddle classified site from here to China--at the very least Bits and Barter, Horsegroomingsupplies Forum, Horseclicks, Craigslist, Tacktrader, some of your local show association's Facebook sites or classified sites, and a few of the Facebook tack classified sites--you need more ads.
          Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

          Comment


          • #45
            Originally posted by jn4jenny View Post
            Your ideal buyer is someone who is miffed about having to buy a $900 used Bates Caprilli CC and sees a $500-$600 Collegiate Convertible Diploma as a very juicy alternative, especially for people who have gotten sour on the CAIR system but otherwise love the Bates Caprilli CC.
            I don't think folks want to pay $900 for a Bates Caprilli CC. Doesn't matter if you throw in the gullet kit, have the thing flocked in wool and all the paperwork back to the purchase and serial number.. or that it was an Aussie-made one.
            The armchair saddler
            Politically Pro-Cat

            Comment


            • #46
              Thanks Jenny! I always love your posts. By the way, Smith Worthington adjusted a Zephyr for us and after trying one that was a close fit we ended up buying it. It is the best saddle and fits us both perfectly. Thank you for your help.

              Originally posted by jn4jenny View Post
              I said the Collegiate Convertible Diploma in 17.5" and 18". Based on your other thread, I'm pretty sure that's not the size you're selling. That said, 6 months is an awfully long time even if it's a 17" or 16.5". Chances are you're doin' something wrong. My guess is that you don't have the saddle advertised in venues where it would really attract the right attention, and/or the pictures and description are not as useful as you think. For example, here's three key mistakes I see people make when they advertise that saddle:
              1. They don't actually explain what the Easy Change Gullet System is for buyers who don't know about it, or they don't play up the adjustability of the wool flocking.
              2. They don't shoot pictures at an angle that showcases this saddle's naturally forward flap angle.
              3. They don't emphasize its sister relationship with the more expensive Bates Caprilli Close Contact. Your ideal buyer is someone who is miffed about having to buy a $900 used Bates Caprilli CC and sees a $500-$600 Collegiate Convertible Diploma as a very juicy alternative, especially for people who have gotten sour on the CAIR system but otherwise love the Bates Caprilli CC.

              But again, the #1 mistake is not enough exposure. If your saddle isn't on every used saddle classified site from here to China--at the very least Bits and Barter, Horsegroomingsupplies Forum, Horseclicks, Craigslist, Tacktrader, some of your local show association's Facebook sites or classified sites, and a few of the Facebook tack classified sites--you need more ads.

              Comment


              • #47
                Originally posted by mvp View Post
                I don't think folks want to pay $900 for a Bates Caprilli CC. Doesn't matter if you throw in the gullet kit, have the thing flocked in wool and all the paperwork back to the purchase and serial number.. or that it was an Aussie-made one.
                Without turning this into an advertising thread...it's the Passier GG v. Thornhill Vienna effect all over again. The Collegiate Diploma has wreaked havoc on used Bates CC prices, and when we add in the fact that the Aussie-made Bates are now so distant in history that most buyers can't remember how much more awesome they were than the Vietnam-made Bates...well, it gets ugly. I feel for you. If it were me I would prefer an Aussie-made wool-flocked Bates over a newer CC Diploma or Bates CC any day of the week. But admittedly, even I probably wouldn't pay $900. The market is so depressed. To put this in perspective, I very easily moved an old Aussie-made Bates CC in 2009 for $1100. With the same saddle today, I'd be lucky to get $750-$800.

                That said, I think it could be gotten rid of. I can think of several consignment vendors who could move it at $900-$1000, but your in-the-pocket profit would obviously be 20-25% less than that, so still around $750.

                Trust me, we all are in the same ugly boat. I've got two dressage saddles that I'm going to be lucky to break even on.
                Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

                Comment


                • #48
                  Originally posted by jn4jenny View Post
                  Without turning this into an advertising thread...it's the Passier GG v. Thornhill Vienna effect all over again. The Collegiate Diploma has wreaked havoc on used Bates CC prices, and when we add in the fact that the Aussie-made Bates are now so distant in history that most buyers can't remember how much more awesome they were than the Vietnam-made Bates...well, it gets ugly....

                  Trust me, we all are in the same ugly boat. I've got two dressage saddles that I'm going to be lucky to break even on.

                  Saddle manufacturers seemed to have changed their strategy in response to rising material and labor prices. Faced with a market that won't pay $2.5K for an off-the-rack saddle and way more for a very nice semi-custom one, they tried to get to the $1K number. They'd cut the corners they had to in order to get there. But they could reuse on the R&D they did for the more expensive versions of the saddles. After all, it was a sunk cost.

                  That means used saddles drop in price quickly. And those making new saddles are happy with that and also the "planned obsolescence" we got use to with technology.

                  In the dressage- and hunter worlds, things can be a little different. Generally, the H/J rider will want the same things in a saddle (for herself) for a long time-- same size, same balance and all. The dressager might find herself legitimately needing different sizes and design features in her saddle as she moves up the levels and her riding changes.

                  I hate this because it doesn't go with the "buy it once and use it forever (without losing your shirt)" strategy. I spent a lifetime learning to buy the way my grandparents did-- after being a fan of conspicuous consumption. And now the saddle market would like me go back to buying crap... many times over.
                  The armchair saddler
                  Politically Pro-Cat

                  Comment


                  • #49
                    I've bought 2 in the last week on eBay. There are some serious deals to be had right now.
                    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                    chaque pas est fait ensemble

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X