• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

CANTER horse at the Broker Lot......Sky Cup

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

On the broker page next to Sky Cup's ad, the status shows pending and the name Celia. Anybody know who this is? I haven't called shipper to cancel yet, so can still follow through with getting her, if need be.

Comment

Maybe email them and find out? Maybe it's the trainer? Both Proper English and Sky Cup are listed as placed and going "home" on Dec 17th. Hopefully that's a good thing.

As a side note - I'm impressed with how quietly they both jogged back and forth with a bareback rider in that dingy ally. I'm sure it was a first for both of them. Go OTTB's!!

Comment

I remember Dewanna all too well and still feel bad for him and for all the others in desperate need of a home. I wish I had the financial means to take them all in but I don't - I can donate to whomever listed in this thread that needs it and would be willing to help whoever takes them any way I can. If you live close to Asheville, NC I can muck with the best

Please email me if any dribbles are needed - I don't come here that much. s hensley 28778 @ yahoo dot com

no spaces

Hopefully all the horses there will have a Merry Christmas this year with all the exposure this thread has given them.

Comment

Just went and checked the broker page again, and both Sky Cup and Proper English are still listed as going "home" today. YAY!!! Major kudos to everyone who helped save these 2 girls, from Daatje for originally bringing it to our attention to spooky for contacting trainers, etc, and everyone else who offered to help in some small way. Just knowing these girls are safe is enough of a Christmas present for me!

Comment

Anyone up for starting The Dribblers Club? If my fellow COTHers are interested, we could develop an email list so that if someone finds a horse in need, TDC could be quickly alerted to see if there is ability/willingness to kick in a little something (a dribble, as many on here have liked to call it!) to help a person who can take a rescue home. Might speed the process up and get one or two to a better place. Just throwing it out there to see what others might think...

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by realrush89 View Post
              Just went and checked the broker page again, and both Sky Cup and Proper English are still listed as going "home" today. YAY!!! Major kudos to everyone who helped save these 2 girls, from Daatje for originally bringing it to our attention to spooky for contacting trainers, etc, and everyone else who offered to help in some small way. Just knowing these girls are safe is enough of a Christmas present for me!
              Me too! I am so glad to hear this. I've had a majorly busy weekend and wicked day at work, so just checking back on this now. Thanks to all for networking!

It's hard for me to comprehend how someone could have something as precious as an OTTB and just throw it away. I long for the day when I can provide a home for one. Thanks to all and Merry Christmas indeed!
              http://www.foxhuntingfriesian.blogspot.com
              http://www.isherwoodstudios.blogspot.com

Comment

Like Bathsheba8542's idea

Dear COTHers,
                I like Bathsheba8542's idea about a pull fund to help at risk horses. I know that people do this on the board informally all the time -- with some outstanding results. I have been looking for a way to donate money in memeory of the children who were killed in Connecticut. I have never met a child who did not love animals so I was thinknig of heading in this direction with a donation. It is something I know if you could have asked them they would have all said Yes to. Several of those children were horse lovers and budding riders. It would be a wonderful testimony to their young lives to save a horse in their name. I am jsut throwing it out for your consideration. Jsut an idea.
                gingersnap
                In the heart of Horse Country ....

Comment

I love the idea of donating money . . . but why not take advantage of some of the wonderful organizations that already have the infrastructure in place to help the horses. CANTER does a fabulous job at its locations around the US. It is run by volunteers and all the money donated goes to help the horses. I have one OTTB that I adopted from CANTER NE and another that I am fostering. I am always impressed by the dedication of the people there and they do a lot of "behind the scenes" work to save horses that end up in the kill pen.

Or, buy some copies of Sarah K. Andrew's Horses and Hope Calendar. She's worked with several rescues this year and the stories behind the horses she's featured are wonderful! She's also highlighted several rescue organizations that would probably appreciate a donation.

I think that making a donation for the holidays . . . or in memory of the children in CT is a wonderful way to pay tribute.
                  Last edited by Bogie; Dec. 17, 2012, 04:58 PM. Reason: fixed typo
                  Equine Ink - My soapbox for equestrian writings & reviews.
                  EquestrianHow2 - Operating instructions for your horse.

Comment

Hi Bogie - the organizations in place do great work, and need support. I think I'm reflecting on our collective success in saving our Old Chestnut Mare (Always Funny). That effort started with a sad Craigslist ad that pulled at our heart strings and became a real success with an offer from a kind-heard COTH-er to give her a home, and then something like 68 others chipping in to ease the financial burden on the new owners. I would love to be part of something like this that is really measurable in its success each year. I would not want to take anything away from needy rescues, though.

Comment

You can sponsor specific horses at CANTER, too -- just sayin'.

They are always taking on horses (these are CANTER owned, not trainer owned) that need help. Many of them are fostered for months before they find the right adoptive home. The horse I am fostering came from a neglect situation and he spent several months being rehabbed even before I got him. I'll spend the winter training him so he can be placed but there was a lot of TLC that was done on the front end.

Comment

Just a reminder, that while we appreciate the desire to help a horse in need, we don't allow fundraising efforts for non-5013c charities on the site. We allow limited posting of horses listed through 501c3 organizations, including broker and trainer listings, but fundraising for the purchase of these horses or their aftercare has to occur off of the site.

There have been some instances that have fallen through the cracks in terms of our policies, and we're of course pleased that horses find themselves in better situations through the generosity of members of the community, but when we're aware of a situation, we do enforce the fundraising policies.

Thanks!
                        Mod 1

Comment

Sorry Mods !! Did not mean to tread in non-approved areas -- I hardly ever psot !! :-) Thanks Bogie -- good suggestions like Cater programs. Yes, I know about the good work they do and what a safety net they are for so many. I guess like Bathsheba I was also thinking of the Old Chesnut Mare and various other horses that COTHers stepped in for. It is a special experience to be more directly responsible for sending a horse on to a better life.
                          I did not know about the Horses and Hope calendar. Wish I had known earlier as it would have made good Xmas gifts.
                          I was caught up thinking of those children. One little rider-girl is to be buried today. I was trying to connect their memory directly to a horse-related cause. But I have my own special rescue that I will alwayy support --- they were there for my first horse and was his safety net. I will send them some money this Xmas.
                          In the heart of Horse Country ....

Comment

Originally posted by Daatje View Post
                            It looks like Dynaquake has been purchased, awesome. Hopefully to a good home. But Sky Cup still needs someone.
                            I saved him! Sorry I'm just seeing this now- As soon as I saw Christy had identified him as "Dynaquake" I bailed him right then and there and Christy pulled tons of strings to get it so I could pick him up the next day. He's in rough shape- body scale about a 2/2.5, atrocious feet, and overall just seems very sore but he's a super sweetheart

Long story short- a few months back when I first saw his listing on CANTER I thought about going to see him to do the rehab and retrain him. Then my circumstances changed and I didn't. So when his name rang a bell I wasn't going to let him slip through again- especially to a KB. I have spoken to his old trainer- she was horrified to hear.

((PS: Hi Daatje- this is "dillonmymacaroniponi" from equichat / you hunt with a friend of mine who has a OTTB- Kathy... ))
                            • Marshal Dillon - 1997 Appy Gelding
                            • Dynaquake - 2005 TB Gelding - Slaughter save 12/15/12
                            • Kangaroo Blue (Cattle Dog) - Shelter Rescue
                            • Zaida (Border CollieXPitt Bull) - Kill Shelter Rescue

Comment

Does CANTER not have anything in place to make sure their horses don't end up like that? Or are they able to go get the horse themselves?
                              Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
                              The Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Skyedragon View Post
                                Does CANTER not have anything in place to make sure their horses don't end up like that? Or are they able to go get the horse themselves?
                                CANTER is a listing organization, not the owner, of most of the TBs (CANTER does own and retrain horses - but a small number in comparison to listings). Reputable organizations like CANTER are run by volunteers - and there is only so much support that can be given to any horse. The transfer paperwork can request that the old owner or CANTER be given notice and option to repurchase -- but enforcing anything is beyond difficult. Ultimately, it requires that the new owners be good horse owners.

These organizations have networks of people that can be notified to help out in such situations - but open stalls, money and the time in any day is limited.

For OTTBs, in addition to CANTER, there is New Vocations and MidAtlantic Horse Rescue. Mid-Atlantic does pull horses from auctions. Some organizations also scan CL ads for TBs falling through the cracks. Yes, it bites that this happens so regularly.
                                Last edited by Justa Bob; Dec. 30, 2012, 12:53 PM. Reason: clarify

Comment

Originally posted by Skyedragon View Post
                                  Very few of the horses belong to CANTER. Mostly CANTER works with trainers to help them find non-racing homes for the horses when they retire. Like anyone selling a horses, trainers don't know what's going to happen to that horse once it leaves their hands and some "buyers" may not be that honest, or some people may find that they don't really want an OTTB after they bring it home and sell it one.

Some CANTER affiliates do purchase at risk horses or bail them from auctions; sometimes owners donate their horses to CANTER to help them find homes. CANTER is a volunteer organization and their funds are limited. That's why I suggested donating to them (or other reputable rescues) where you know the money is being used to help the horses.

The CANTER owned horses generally are fostered by volunteers until they can be placed in an adoptive home. As someone who has fostered two horses (and adopted one), I know that I appreciate the blankets and other things that are donated to CANTER to help make those horses more comfortable!

Comment

As appears to be the case with Sky Cup (a lovely looking mare, BTW) horses listed by trainers through CANTER are sold by the trainers to whoever they choose to do business with. Sadly, it seems that the types who buy with the intent of re-selling to kill buyers have figured out that many trainers who list on sites like CANTER are often in quite a rush to move stock. Many of those types maintain just enough "above board" business that they can convince trainers that they are legit. (Recall the flap last year about the woman who transferred many horses to killers while operating a training business and even showing at Devon!)

Thank you spooky for once again stepping up to help! You are amazing! Happy New Year to you!
                                    F O.B
                                    Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
                                    Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Comment

If this is true, why would CANTER or any other organization allow themselves to be used in this way? Surely there has to be some way to avoid that outcome.

Comment

Originally posted by bathsheba8542 View Post
                                        If this is true, why would CANTER or any other organization allow themselves to be used in this way? Surely there has to be some way to avoid that outcome.
                                        CANTER has no control over who buys horses from trainers.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                          X