• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

If you think horse slaughter is humane then you need to see this...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If you think horse slaughter is humane then you need to see this...

Warning...very graphic videos on this website. If you think for one minute that horse slaughter in slaugter houses is humane, then download and watch these video clips. I was shocked and horrified. It was even worse than I expected.

http://www.sharkonline.org/horseslaughter.mv

"No hour of life is lost that is spent in the saddle..." Winston Churchill
  • Original Poster

Warning...very graphic videos on this website. If you think for one minute that horse slaughter in slaugter houses is humane, then download and watch these video clips. I was shocked and horrified. It was even worse than I expected.

http://www.sharkonline.org/horseslaughter.mv

Comment

Graphic yes - but the world is not a pretty place - we need such things to remind us. Yes, we could talk about the pros & cons of slaughter but my sig. below says my thoughts.

Ponies are cool!

Comment

Please sign the petition while visiting the site. They are trying to open the horse slaughter plant in DeKalb IL. This group is a bit extremist, but are trying to stop it.

~~I hear opportunity knocking, but I can't find the door!~~

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by equinelaundry:
          Graphic yes - but the world is not a pretty place - we need such things to remind us. Yes, we could talk about the pros & cons of slaughter but my sig. below says my thoughts.

I would toast you, but alas I have no wine.

Horse slaughter is never pleasant, but until people are willing to educate others and be educated, there are few reasonable options. I hear "rescue, rescue, rescue" up and down the wazoo, but no one is doing anything.

And I'm willing to bet good money that webpage you posted is happily funded by animal rights groups...which, in my opinion, can go jump of a cliff without parachutes.

"I like colds because when I have a cold, I get to use my favorite drug - NYQUIL. It's the moonshine of medicine. Because when I have a cold, I want something that's really going to **** me up...Nyquil comes in two colors: red and green. And red and green are what? Christmas colors! That's right, Nyquil makes a dandy eggnog..."
          - Lewis Black comedy
          \"Horses change lives. They give our young people confidence and self esteem, they provide peace and tranquility to troubled souls, they give us hope.\"
          - T. Robinson

Comment

I totally agree with you, equinelaundry. My wish is that good people start treating their horses like they treat their dogs - companions for life.

Comment

Aawwww, you guys!!! And I was putting on my coat of armor to keep away from the flames.

Let's all toast to education this year and restraint when wanting to bring a new life into the world. Let's celebrate the ones we have!!

Ponies are cool!

Comment

You will not find anyone here that thinks horse slaughter or human consumption is a wonderful idea. However, it will be worse if the horses that no longer have anyone to love them have to be shipped up to Canada to be killed or if the rendering plants no longer accept horses.

It is a fact of life that some people will not spend the money to have a horse euthanized when instead of spending $350 they can get paid $350.
                This whole campaign against slaughter will cost us dearly, if as I've been told the plants that render them will no longer accept them. Who will remove those that have been euthanized? In our town it is illegal to bury them on the farm because of endangering the water table.

Battle Scarred Veteran
                http://www.usAHSA.org and http://www.noreinstatement.org

Comment

• Original Poster

I don't have any idea who's website that is and don't care. The videos of horses being stunned 3 to 4 times as well as in the shoulder speak for themselves. I found this website posted on another horse board and remember many discussions here on COTH where folks have argued that slaughter is humane. I saw very little in those videos that you could consider untraumatic to the horses. They are clearly very stressed and frightened, get a full view of horses being butchered and several have to be repeatedly stunned to knock them senseless enough to be bled out. I think it's horrible.

BTW, I have two rescue horses in my barn. One of the two was 3 days away from a Canadian slaughter house when I found him.

While I find the idea of eating horses to be repulsive, I do not necessarily object to killing horses for food. I do object to treating them like these horses are being treated. Perhaps nicer environments inside the slaughterhouses to keep the stress level down, quieter, no views of dead horses, and a more accurate, humane way of destroying them.

Comment

There is another website called www.equineadvocate.com. Took a look at the pics of the slaughter process--took a while to get over it. There has to be a better way!

But then they all can't find homes. Have a friend who keeps breeding bad-tempered mares and wonders why there isn't much of a market for the foals. She'll buy about anything someone waves in front of her and breed it as soon as possible. Sad!!!!! Keeps telling me you can't make any money with geldings--I have three and making money is not the purpose in owning them. She has thrown several hundred thousand dollars away over the last four or five years and added to the number of unwanted horses. Sigh!

Julie
                    www.centaurfencing.com
                    "The Horse-Friendly Fence"

Comment

Snowbird, just my humble opinion that this would be less of a problem if people would take responsibility for the lives they bring into the world (human & critter but that's a whole 'nother topic!).

Rather than have to send healthy horses to slaughter houses why not educate people to stop breeding? The people who can really make an impact here is breeders. I realize this is a business for some people but again, not many people take responsibility for their breedings from birth to death. If they did this slaughter issue would not be an issue period.

I remember the quote of some ranch breeder out West last year and he says "What are we too do with all the colts?" Uhhh, how 'bout stop breeding. What an idiot.

Then you have the topics of saving horses from rescues only to be bred again and again to earn their keep. Argument there is that they heroically saved a life at that time but......what about the lives that the mare will produce to "earn her keep"?

Reality check. This post is not for all and I don't want a debate on slaughter AGAIN. Just want to plant the seed to control the breeding folks.

[This message was edited by equinelaundry on Feb. 07, 2004 at 07:03 PM.]

[This message was edited by equinelaundry on Feb. 07, 2004 at 07:06 PM.]
                      "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

Comment

1) Whether or not you think slaughter is a necessity is not the point here. The original poster, and the videos, show without a doubt that the methods used in the process are NOT humane and that horses do not react like cattle.

2) Please understand, there is a HUGE difference between rendering and slaughter. Slaughter is not rendering.

Two Toofs
                        (formerly - but still - NDANO)

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by cgn38:
                          I totally agree with you, equinelaundry. My wish is that good people start treating their horses like they treat their dogs - companions for life.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Put in a few weeks working at a shelter, and you'll find that that's not always the case...

Unashamed member of the Arab clique...just settin' on the Group W bench.
                          "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

I would like more information on when and where those pictures were taken. I've been in slaughter houses (not horse ones) and that type of thing is not the norm, but multiple stuns etc. do happen occasionally.

I'm definetely not anti-slaughter but it should be possible to do so skillfully and humanely. I support that but I certainly will not donate money to any extremist animal rights type group for any reason. I believe that closing slaughter houses just condemns horses to a long and horrible trailer trip. Thats what happened in CA.

Also when meatpacking went from a well paid union job to low paid scut work it led to all kinds of problems.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Snowbird:
                              You will not find anyone here that thinks horse slaughter or human consumption is a wonderful idea. However, it will be worse if the horses that no longer have anyone to love them have to be shipped up to Canada to be killed or if the rendering plants no longer accept horses.

It is a fact of life that some people will not spend the money to have a horse euthanized when instead of spending $350 they can get paid $350.
                              This whole campaign against slaughter will cost us dearly, if as I've been told the plants that render them will no longer accept them. Who will remove those that have been euthanized? In our town it is illegal to bury them on the farm because of endangering the water table.

_Battle Scarred Veteran_<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

There is a difference between rendering and slaughter. Slaughter is for Human consumption, rendering is for bi-products, after the animal has been euthanized. Often the rendering plants pick up animals that could not be buried because of laws regarding this. Be very happy if you are one of the people that can bury, alot can't it's illegal.
                              NO HORSES TO SLAUGHTER CLIQUE
                              http://www.cafepress.com/maneshirts

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by silver:
                                I would like more information on when and where those pictures were taken. I've been in slaughter houses (not horse ones) and that type of thing is not the norm, but multiple stuns etc. do happen occasionally.
                                <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

The reason that you see a difference in the slaughter videos of the horses is for 2 reasons - horses react differently to the procedure than cows and the fact that the AMVA guidelines state the for captive bolt death to be considered humane, that the head of the horse must be properly restrained. They don't restrain the heads in the horse slaughter plants.Watch the videos. Does anyone who is a horseman of any type really expect the horse to just stand there and take it under those circumstances?

And equinelaundry, you are correct that it will be graphic whether humane or not. But did you watch the videos? That's not just graphic. It's just plain sick how the horses are treated.

Two Toofs
                                (formerly - but still - NDANO)

Comment

I'm sorry. I edited above post.
                                  I was thinking slaugher & consumtion at the same time. Kristie (who will stick to one thought at a time )

Ponies are cool!

Comment

Two Toofs, I'm not saying that those videos are OK, I clearly stated that I believe a humane method SHOULD exist, not that it does.

BUT I have had experience with animal rights groups and I would like to know when and where those videos were filmed. Was it even in the US? Have changes already been instituted in the plants? If information like that comes out later it makes everyone look bad and is ultimately detrimental to the real goal.

I would like to improve the laws relating to horse slaughter as much as anyone.

Comment

• Original Poster

I'll tell you what really pissed me off was the first horse...that little buckskin. That was not a "misaimed" stun IMO. It sure looked like he deliberately hit that horse in the shoulder with the captive bolt because it had it's head down. The other one that was down, scrambling and couldn't get up was horrible too. No animal should have to walk into that chute and be able to see the carcasses of other animals like that either. No wonder the poor things were so frightened.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by BasqueMom:
                                        But then they all can't find homes. Have a friend who keeps breeding bad-tempered mares and wonders why there isn't much of a market for the foals. She'll buy about anything someone waves in front of her and breed it as soon as possible. Sad!!!!! Keeps telling me you can't make any money with geldings--I have three and making money is not the purpose in owning them. She has thrown several hundred thousand dollars away over the last four or five years and added to the number of unwanted horses. Sigh!
                                        <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

If I were you Julie, I wouldn't be refering to this woman as a "friend".

~~Some days are a total waste of makeup.~~
                                        ~~Some days are a total waste of makeup.~~

Comment

Working...
                                        X